CDO Forums
JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Showcase & Army Blogs (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut (/showthread.php?tid=10712)

JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 03-02-2012 07:08 PM

Greetings my fellow Dawi Zharr!

With the release of Thommy's new army book and the impending release of Baggronor's Royal Guard, I decided it was time to have a second go at creating a Chaos Dwarf army. The previous incarnation of my army has taught me a lot about sculpting and casting, but I'm not too happy anymore with the look the mantic's give. So, a fresh start!

As mentioned, I'll be using Thommy's book of the Chaos Dwarves instead of Tamurkhan. Tamurkhan's army list doesn't inspire me at all. Not from a modelling point of view, nor from an army-building point of view. The army list feels very narrow to me. I suppose it makes some sense, because it's supposed to be an army list for a specific part of the Chaos Dwarf society, instead of representing the entire race, which Thommy's book does achieve.

The current state of the army:

Finished Models:
Doom Harness

More Pictures

Pyrophant

More Pictures

Overlord on Lamassu

More Pictures

I intend to use this first post to showcase finished models/units...

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - JMR - 03-02-2012 07:10 PM

...which is why I'm doing a double-post.

For starters I'm working on a Daemonsmith piloting a Doom Harness. Traditionally, Doom Harnesses are used by Bull Centaur (the good ol' Tenderiser and Whirlwind models), but some Daemonsmiths build steam-powered engines that are just as destructive. That's what I'm going for.

It was very tempting to turn the skaven driver into a hobgoblin, as it would perfectly fit with my plastic Hobgoblins, but as you can see I'm turning it into a dwarf as was originally my plan. I've shortened his legs and trimmed away any non-dwarfy stuff. I would prefer to use a different (smaller) head, but I don't really have any other options. Perhaps I can steal an Avatars of War beserker head from a friend. Does anyone know if that set has extra heads?

That's it for now! Opinions, criticism and ideas are all more than welcome.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - frostbit3 - 03-02-2012 08:07 PM

interesting with the doomwheel.  can't wait to see how it turns out.  gonna make it less wooden looking?

2017 Image Salvage

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - Thommy H - 03-02-2012 08:10 PM

Steam-powered Doom Harness? BLASPHEMY.

But seriously: if there's one thing that really inspires me, it's collaboration. That bit in the Doom Harness's fluff was put in as a reference to the Skullcracker and, as recently as today, I questioned its inclusion. But now, seeing that someone has gone to the effort of using that paragraph that I wrote as a jumping-off point to sit down and build and sculpt something that is beyond my abilities to create, that is beyond my conception of what the unit might be...well, it makes it all worthwhile.

So thank you. I'll be watching this blog very closely.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - gIL^ - 03-02-2012 09:09 PM

I don't think there was anything wrong with your mantic cd's but i love to see blogs Tongue

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - JMR - 03-03-2012 07:24 AM

Thommy H Wrote:
Steam-powered Doom Harness? BLASPHEMY.

To be fair, I simply wanted to do this conversion first and looked for rules to suit it. The conversion idea has been in my head for at least a year or so. Initially I wanted to field it as a Daemonsmith on an Hellborn Construct, but I couldn't really customize it in the way I wanted to. I would've liked to give it Thunderous Charge (Impact Hits) and then maybe add Whirling Blades (Random Attacks) to represent a buzz-saw or such, but that's not possible with a Construct. An Infernal Engine can do those things, but it defeats the purpose, because it would become to "massive" and "hulking" instead of a ramshackle, barely controllable machine that you really don't want to be standing in front off.

The Bull Centaur Doom Harness' rules fit my picture of the machine perfectly. The random movement suits it really well too. And when I then remembered the fluff hinting at Daemonsmiths building such engines for themselves, all the pieces fell in to place.

Having said all that, I might field it as a Hellborn Construct sometime anyways Takes Hat off

Now, I want to attach different equipment on the front of the doomwheel. I was thinking a buzz-saw or maybe a flame-thrower, so I immediately turned towards 40K Orky bits (or is that bitz?). To my surprise, I found out that my go-to bits store doesn't have crap-all when it comes to such things. I always use Hoard-o-Bits, but they seem to stock less and less each time I look. Can anyone recommend a different reliable bits supplier?
Also, any comments about the scale of Ork Deff Dread and Killa Kan parts would be welcome. Is a Killa Kan basically the size of an ogre?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - Kera foehunter - 03-03-2012 08:01 AM

oohhhhhhhhhhh  love the dwarf in the Hamster wheel  can't wait to see more

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - JMR - 03-03-2012 11:22 AM

Glad you like it so far, Kera Happy

frostbit3 Wrote:
interesting with the doomwheel.  can't wait to see how it turns out.  gonna make it less wooden looking?

I'm considering doing that, yeah. There's not an awfully lot of wood on the model though, it's mainly or almost only the wheels themselves. I'm not sure yet if I'll "convert" them into metal plates (=getting rid of the wood grain) or just paint it as dark/black wood. I was thinking it would actually be kinda neat to have tank-tracks, but that may be a bit far-fetched.

Anyways, progress has been made. I've sculpted the scalemail on his other side and replaced his head.

I originally didn't want a helmeted head. I wanted to do a head with goggles, but I don't have a suitable head and I know my own limits - I can't sculpt faces.

The wheels aren't attached by the way. Can't sculpt or paint the damn thing otherwise!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - Thommy H - 03-03-2012 11:27 AM

Looks awesome so far. You can actually have Whirling Blades on a Hellborn Construct though, btw.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - JMR - 03-03-2012 11:43 AM

Yeah, I know, but I want it all!

It's a shame a Doom Harness can't throw fire Tongue Wink I think I'm gonna turn one of the warpstone lightning rods into a flame thrower.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - Thommy H - 03-03-2012 11:53 AM

If you use it as a Hellborn Construct, you could use it as a count-as Hellfire Pistol for the Daemonsmith.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - JonJon - 03-03-2012 12:08 PM

That is a great idea,will be stealing this idea now

Jon

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - Grimstonefire - 03-03-2012 12:52 PM

Bit of an old thread (was it really that long ago!?).  But I did a computer mock up of a CD doomwheel thing you may find interesting:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6574

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - JMR - 03-03-2012 12:56 PM

Thommy H Wrote:
If you use it as a Hellborn Construct, you could use it as a count-as Hellfire Pistol for the Daemonsmith.

I was thinking something more destructive. A mobile flame cannon; fast moving, can spout a flame template every shooting phase. That's actually pretty much what a Gyrocopter does, isn't it?
Your book clearly doesn't have enough options, Thommy Takes Hat off

JonJon Wrote:
That is a great idea,will be stealing this idea now

As long as you share pictures when you get around to building one!

Edit: I hadn't seen that thread Grim, thanks for the hint!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - Kera foehunter - 03-03-2012 12:57 PM

I call Shenanigans  !!!  you may not steal an idea Unless your a pirate!!
Chaos dwarf on line rule :117

117   Rule  one must be a pirate to steal ideas in the hobby section
Unless they Ask or Pay one Kera Foehunter  a settlement ..
We have a high value on our post here.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - JMR - 03-03-2012 02:15 PM

For the sake of thinking out of the box...:

Or with a quick photoshop:

It makes me chuckle. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - Bassman - 03-03-2012 02:31 PM

I prefer the hamster wheel version. Just add the rear small wheel, that's a cool idea!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - ryanamandaanna - 03-03-2012 03:18 PM

As a bike, it starts to look like a 40k squat...  Wink

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - frostbit3 - 03-03-2012 05:18 PM

just spitballing, but would liquid greenstuff make quick work of making the plates sheets of dented metal instead of wood?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - JMR - 03-03-2012 05:32 PM

That's what I was gonna use, yeah, along with some filing to get rid of the skaven runes on the wheels.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - frostbit3 - 03-03-2012 05:40 PM

i'm tempted to go buy myself a doomwheel and find out for myself Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - Borador - 03-03-2012 07:51 PM

Looking good!
About the head, maximini has some really nice helmet-heads with gasmasks and goggles and the like Wink

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 March - Doom Harness - JMR - 03-04-2012 10:59 AM

In case anyone was wondering what god it is that these evil dwarves worship and devote their lives to:

Hashut!

The wood doesn't leave an awfully lot of room for his arm though, that's a bit of a problem. I wish I had plasticard to work with, but I don't know any stores near me that sell it.

Thoughts?

@Borador: I know the heads you mean, they might be nice to use. I think I won't need any more heads than this one though. I'll just stick with this one for now. Good suggestion though!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom Harness - Borador - 03-04-2012 11:35 AM

Looks good! You could make the same shape out of a thinner sheet of plasticard, might save a few millimetres for his arm?

Edit: silly me, you stated the plasticard thing already. "Modelbouwwinkels" often sell it ;D if not => Ebay.
Evergreen or something has good plasticard! example link

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom Harness - frostbit3 - 03-04-2012 06:28 PM

I am quietly attempting to make my own version of your harness over here.  I am currently just playing with the treads to see how simple it will be to make them beaten metal.  I am also thinking of adding spikey bits to the treads for extra running people over power.  let me know if you want me to PM you a few pictures of the treads.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom Harness - Kera foehunter - 03-04-2012 07:28 PM

Wow!!!!!!!!!  you pimped your ride out good  
does it have gull wing doors?? and 16 valve and fuel injection

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom Harness - grisnik - 03-05-2012 08:28 AM

Looking at this, and it shows to me as being a perfect stand in for the Iron Daemon actually.. Could easily see this being the skullcracker version also.. just think of it running over everything to do the thunderstomp attacks!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom Harness - JMR - 03-09-2012 02:19 PM

Thanks to Borador's suggestion I've found a place that sells plasticard. I found it thanks to your mention of the brand name, Borador. Thanks! Unfortunately the shop doesn't keep it in stock any more. The sales-guy said that they had it on display in the shop for two years and only sold something once. Luckily, they were able to get it for me through an order.

As I'm waiting for said order to arrive, I've started work on a second project.

An Infernal Engine! I wanted something stompy, I wanted something mechanical, crewed by a couple of dwarves. I wanted something along the lines of a TK Warsphinx. Eventually I came up with the following:

Yaarrr! A good old Schleich cow! ..err, bull. I want my Chaos Dwarves to use a combination of steam-power and daemon-binding. So, inspired by Steampunk technology I intend to turn this bull into a mechanical, steam/daemon-powered engine.

I've used a marker to draw out what I intend to do. The circle in the center is going to be a big boiler, with cables going up to it's head and whatnot. For the legs I figured I'd use some mechanical gears at the hip joints, but I'm not sure yet how I'm going to attach them to the main body. I also want to make the front of the engine mostly armoured with steel plates, while the back-half is more open, showing a more bare structure and machinery.

For it's head I'm using the standard top from the Forgeworld Infernal Guards as a reference.

This is going to be a pretty big project and to be honest when I started I figured that it would probably go wrong somewhere. It's one big experiment! We'll see how it ends up!

If anyone has suggestions or examples of how to attach it´s legs to the main hull, they´d be more than welcome.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 9 March - Infernal Engine - Thommy H - 03-09-2012 02:27 PM

Cool. What size base is that?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 9 March - Infernal Engine - JMR - 03-09-2012 02:40 PM

This is 50x100, which is what a Warsphinx comes with (to my surprise). I'll just use whatever feels right though. This is the base from my Doomwheel. I'll simply use some wood to make the base, so I can do whatever size I want.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 9 March - Infernal Engine - Thommy H - 03-09-2012 02:48 PM

Chariot base then. It should probably be on an Arachnarok base, but there's loads of 6-Wound things on chariot bases anyway, so I'm not making any hard and fast rulings on that score.

Looks like he's going to be big anyway!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 9 March - Infernal Engine - JMR - 03-09-2012 03:04 PM

Thommy H Wrote:
... but there's loads of 6-Wound things on chariot bases anyway, so I'm not making any hard and fast rulings on that score.

Yeah. To be fair I think GW is pretty random about base-size. I think they just do whatever they feel like. So, so will I!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 9 March - Infernal Engine - Borador - 03-09-2012 06:11 PM

Glad you managed to find some plasticard! (:
The bull's looking good, curious to see how it'll turn out!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 9 March - Infernal Engine - JMR - 03-09-2012 06:11 PM

The head is slowly taking shape.

I've repositioned the ears, added horns and added some more plating.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 9 March - Infernal Engine - JMR - 03-10-2012 10:49 AM

And again more work on the head.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - ryanamandaanna - 03-10-2012 11:15 AM

great work so far, yo!  Big Grin

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - Borador - 03-10-2012 02:15 PM

Looks good!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - vulcanologist - 03-10-2012 03:15 PM

That head is coming along nicely!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom Harness - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-11-2012 09:28 AM

JMR Wrote:
An Infernal Engine! I wanted something stompy, I wanted something mechanical, crewed by a couple of dwarves. I wanted something along the lines of a TK Warsphinx.

Hehe, you can't go wrong with a mechanical cow crewed by a couple of chaos dwarves. Wink

So you plan to cover the whole thing with armour plating? So the Schleich cow is really just an armature for the final model. That's a really nice idea! Look forward to the next updates.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - Thommy H - 03-11-2012 09:32 AM

It shouldn't be a surprise that JMR's Infernal Engine follows your prototype, Ishkur, since I used that model as one of the templates for how my Infernal Engine rules should work (i.e. letting them do Impact Hits, have up to eight crew, mount a stone thrower, be massive and armoured) and now JMR is building his model based on those rules!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom Harness - JMR - 03-11-2012 10:20 AM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
So you plan to cover the whole thing with armour plating? So the Schleich cow is really just an armature for the final model. That's a really nice idea! Look forward to the next updates.

I don't want to cover the whole thing in plating. I want to have the heavy plating stop at his front legs and then the rest will be much more open, with only plates on his spine. That's the plan anyways. If it proves to be too difficult, I can just plate the whole thing up, which will be much simpler.

Although I really like Ishkur's engine, it's actually not such a big driving force behind my design process. I've gone from wanting a Chaos Dwarf Warsphinx to 40K Defiler conversions to Privateer Press' Warmachine to Steampunk, back to Warmachine, settled on converting a Defiler and promptly bought a Schleich cow an hour later Tongue

I think that if you want a 4-legged stompy Chaos-Dwarf engine, it's hard to escape the imagery of a bull. I did consider using some kind of Lamassu-like head though.

As far as crew is concerned. I initially toyed with the idea of a mobile firing platform, crewed with 8 Blunderbusses, but getting that many models on a Warsphinx-sized model is going to be difficult unless you stretch the platform over the entire length of the model or something. This one will probably only get the minimum of 3 crew members. An un-crewed, rampagine engine with Ld 5 seems like a bad idea...

I hadn't seen the WIP pictures of your engine before Ishkur, so thank you for that link Happy How big is that base you're using? Something like 150x200 or such?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-12-2012 04:36 PM

Yeah the base is pretty large, 120x200mm. But still had material left from GWs modular movement tray set, and I figured I could use a little space around the feet. Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - Singleton Mosby - 03-13-2012 04:17 AM

Very interesting idea. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
And what about the Doomwheel?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - JMR - 03-13-2012 06:07 AM

Singleton Mosby Wrote:
And what about the Doomwheel?

I'm waiting for my plasticard to arrive before I can continue. I intend to put a little (hob)goblin at the back shovelling coal into a furnace.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - JMR - 03-19-2012 12:53 PM

I'm still waiting for my plasticard to arrive. It's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything, so it's starting to annoy me a bit.

I decided to continue work on my Infernal Engine using materials found around the house instead of waiting for my plasticard.

Everything is stuck together using blue-tack, so the legs are a bit wonky at the moment.

The black dots are going to be rivets. The legs will be bulked out with plating and will have pistons at the back. I used some wooden cocktail sticks for this now, but I might redo them once I finally get my plasticard and plasti-rod.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 19 March - Infernal Engine - JMR - 03-21-2012 11:39 AM

Look what the postman brought in today!

My order from Baggronor's Titan Wargames has arrived!

I've ordered 4x4 Heavy Infantry with command group to be used as Immortals. The Overlord is going to be used as the unit champion. I've also bought one Pyromancer.

These models are quite simply the best-cast metal models I have ever bought. That's including GW models. They have zero flash and mold lines are minute. Very nice.

To close off, an "army" shot:

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 March - Titan Wargames Dwarfs - JMR - 03-22-2012 02:39 PM

I've been working on finding a suitable paint-scheme for my Immortals today and yesterday. I've tried three different ones, but this is the one I like the most.

Still WIP, but the armour is pretty much done. I've unfortunately chipped the paint a bit while basing him :/

My only concern is that these guys are supposed to be my elite unit. That means that when I paint my warriors, I'll have to give them a less-awesome colour scheme. That kinda feels like painting in reverse for me.
I'm half considering using this scheme for my regular warriors instead and then maybe do my Immortals in a different scheme, like red or black armour.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Here's one of the other colour options I've been working on. The white primer is a bit distracting I guess, but I could use this for Immortals instead and the above scheme for regular warriors.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Admiral - 03-22-2012 03:18 PM

I prefer the next latest paint scheme, with the iron-coloured plates. It works really well with the lava rock base. I'm looking forward to see the completed Dawi Zharr Doomwheel and mecha-cow. The new army will surely look fine along with the hobgoblins, although I still think you achieved a good result with converting Mantic dwarves.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Bassman - 03-22-2012 03:56 PM

Hey, give me the credit for stealing my colour scheme!!! Respect to the Hat!

Very well executed, better than mine Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - JMR - 03-22-2012 05:02 PM

Bassman Wrote:

Hehe, I had to check your blog to see which one you meant. I guess you mean the first one due to the beard? The beard is Shadow Grey at the moment. I think yours is truly blue?

To be fair neither of my paint schemes are really original, but that's okay I guess. I've been toying with some more original schemes, but I'm pretty much tied to lava-bases due to my hobgoblins (and possible other units from my previous force). So I have to do something that looks good on lava.

Admiral Wrote:
I prefer the next latest paint scheme, with the iron-coloured plates. It works really well with the lava rock base. I'm looking forward to see the completed Dawi Zharr Doomwheel and mecha-cow. The new army will surely look fine along with the hobgoblins, although I still think you achieved a good result with converting Mantic dwarves.

I've done some photoshopping with the second paint scheme:

I like the first scheme more, overall, but maybe the red armour is a nice way to distinguish an elite unit, which the Immortals are.

As for the bull and doom harness. I contacted the store where I ordered my plasticard two weeks ago and I have a very, very strong suspicion that they simply didn't do anything at all about my order during those two weeks. Very lame.
I want to cancel my order due to their poor service, but I do want the material. I've been looking at different shops to order from, but postage can be a bit steep.
So the progress of those two machines kinda depends on that.

The bull also proves to be pushing the limits of my attention span. It's a fairly complex project that takes quite a lot of steps till it gets to a point where it's starting to look like something cool. I kinda need that light at the end of the tunnel to keep myself motivated.
I should really push myself to continue work on it... It would be great if I can get it to the point where it can actually stand on a base again instead of being chopped up in pieces.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Pagarus - 03-22-2012 05:19 PM

Hi, I've been following your blog for a week or so, and am loving it all!
I really like your first colour scheme, but although you are a far better painter than me, the head of the weapon looks a little to bright compared to the rest. That said, I think the scheme is really effective.

As for the immortals, I understand your desire to give them a different look - I like the red, but to me immortals should wear dark iron or black, and less ostentatious armour. However, that's my take on them, and of course yours could be entirely different.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - JMR - 03-22-2012 06:12 PM

Thanks for your response, Pagarus. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog Happy

The weapon is at the moment a flat coat of Chainmail, so that's going to get more attention. I'm toying with the option of doing glowy weapons, to represent their Cursed Weapons rule. I haven't quite nailed that yet though.

I get where you're coming from concerning the dark or black armour on Immortals and I pretty much agree with you. I might do a test model with black armour, but I'm fearful that the model may become too dull in combination with the blackish rock used for the bases. I'll just have to toy around with a test model and see what I end up with.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Borador - 03-22-2012 06:29 PM

Looking good!

You could also try black with green "veins", as if the armor was made of marble-ish material. Must be a thread on here on how to paint marble from just a while back IIRC.

Greens work well with lava bases (:

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Kera foehunter - 03-22-2012 07:00 PM

Love the strong bold red color and the brassy gold is cool to

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - frostbit3 - 03-22-2012 07:11 PM

I think your guy would look solid if you just picked out some of the armor in gold on the elite troops to signify status without making yourself change to a "lesser" scheme for your core troops.
Maybe gold where you have it on your red guys for the scale mail and shoulder armor accent, but your metallics on the solid plate areas.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal Engine - Zonk - 03-22-2012 11:20 PM

JMR Wrote:

////

I think that these pictures can help you to make an animal

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - tjub - 03-23-2012 01:04 AM

I prefer the 2nd of the two!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - cornixt - 03-23-2012 08:29 AM

Now that is exactly what I need! Obviously I'm going to have to start searching google using Russian words, luckily my dad knows a bit.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Bassman - 03-23-2012 09:19 AM

JMR Wrote:

Bassman Wrote:

Hehe, I had to check your blog to see which one you meant. I guess you mean the first one due to the beard? The beard is Shadow Grey at the moment. I think yours is truly blue?

To be fair neither of my paint schemes are really original, but that's okay I guess. I've been toying with some more original schemes, but I'm pretty much tied to lava-bases due to my hobgoblins (and possible other units from my previous force). So I have to do something that looks good on lava.

I like your color scheme and it's really well executed.
In my monitor your beard looks blueish like mine.
Anyway, I do not have any right about bluebeards ;-)
Nice to see what coming up now :-)

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - JMR - 03-23-2012 12:38 PM

Interesting, Zonk. Thanks for the link.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Zonk - 03-23-2012 01:44 PM

cornixt Wrote:
Now that is exactly what I need! Obviously I'm going to have to start searching google using Russian words, luckily my dad knows a bit.

Unfortunately this set now don't make, there are other sets from this series, they can be seen here  http://www.tehnolog.ru/product/videoman.php  , but there is no bull. The sizes of this toy are very great 14 cm at length

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - Pagarus - 03-23-2012 07:01 PM

Glowing weapons sound really cool, do you mean like some of Baggronor's miniature's on his website?

I hadn't thought about bases, and I completely understand about the colours together.

Looking forward to seeing some more tests soon.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP) - JMR - 03-24-2012 06:53 PM

Another attempt at finding a suitable scheme for my Immortals.

I didn't really have a very solid plan going in to this miniature. I wanted to try black armour, but the tricky bit is making black armour look "special". I figured I wanted to do Obsidian armour, whatever that might be - I don't know to be honest Tongue

The biggest thing about this one, for me, is the fact that I used gloss varnish in an attempt to make his armour look extraordinary. Being under a harsh light source doesn't really do it any good, so I'm finding it a bit hard to judge whether I like it or not while it's under my painting-lamp or when I take a picture of it. I think it might look nice on the gaming table though.

Note how the photo nicely brings out the poor blending on the axe and the bits of cork showing on the base dead Need to fix that.

I might try darkening the scale mail armour more and using edge highlights to pick out the scales. I may also try changing his robes from red to black or dark grey.

On a slightly unrelated note. I'm growing more and more fond of my initial paint scheme (the bronze/brassy one). I'd really like to use that as a standard for my army. I just hope I can make these Immortals stand out from the crowd on the battlefield.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP) - Thommy H - 03-25-2012 05:51 AM

I think glowing weapons will be enough to make them stand out - if anything, maybe give them darker armour (almost black). Or wait for Baggranor to release the Royal Guard models, which will look a bit more ornate than the Heavy Infantry.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP) - Borador - 03-25-2012 06:00 AM

Yeah the Royal Guard models would probably do the trick as Immortals.

I must say that I do like the black version. Maybe using a darker version of the first scheme will do the trick, like Thommy said.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP) - Thommy H - 03-25-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it's almost like it was planned that way!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP) - Borador - 03-25-2012 06:38 AM

Thommy H Wrote:

Quote:

What a coincidence Tongue Wink

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP) - JMR - 03-25-2012 06:39 AM

Thommy H Wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, and there lies my biggest problem. I plan to use the Royal Guard as regular warriors! So I fully rely on my painting to distinguish them.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP) - JMR - 03-26-2012 12:09 PM

Continued work on my Infernal Engine again a bit. I've worked on it's hind legs.

To my surprise, I actually managed to balance the model to stand on it's feet. It's partly held together with blue-tac, but mostly simply gravity doing it's thing. I even managed to take a quick snapshot before it collapsed again 5 seconds later.

Try not to mind the wonky look Big Grin

In other news, I've cancelled my plasticard order (been 3 weeks) and ordered it through e-bay instead.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - tjub - 03-26-2012 01:01 PM

Looks great, but I would shorten the back legs a bit to make it "more bull, less cow".  Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - JMR - 03-26-2012 03:03 PM

The height and length of the legs still needs to be set, but can you explain what you mean with more bull, less cow? Is the posture of a bull different from a cow in that it's backside is lower?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - zobo1942 - 03-26-2012 03:21 PM

Some varieties of bull to have a deeper chest, and more pronounced neck and shoulder muscles.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - tjub - 03-26-2012 03:35 PM

JMR Wrote:
The height and length of the legs still needs to be set, but can you explain what you mean with more bull, less cow? Is the posture of a bull different from a cow in that it's backside is lower?

Im not sure, but at least it would look a lot more aggressive. IMO the pose is not bad, bad a bit "cowish".

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - JMR - 03-26-2012 04:14 PM

Hmm, I get what you're saying. I was simply following the pose and proportions of the original Schleich model, which is pretty docile. I was hesitant to steer away from the original model, but I suppose changing it's pose shouldn't be too difficult after all. I'm going to reconsider it, but I don't want it to look too "organic".

Thank you Tjub, that's very valuable feedback!

I think I'll try to go for something like this:

Less static/docile, but not too extravagant.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - Grimstonefire - 03-26-2012 04:23 PM

Notice the height of the shoulders in relation to the backside and where the front knees are in relation to the chest (for want of a better word).

I don't think you've got the bovine skeleton right on the back legs.  Something doesn't look right there.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - Thommy H - 03-26-2012 04:41 PM

It looks fine, but altering the proportions to be more bull-like can only help, I think. It probably needs to look a bit cartoonish - look at the Great Taurus, or even the Stonehorn (which is some sort of bovine creature, I think). They're quite extreme versions of the picture you've posted, with extended forelimbs, deep chests and heavy shoulders. That fits in with the heroic aesthetic of Warhammer.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - JMR - 03-26-2012 05:51 PM

Well, one thing that will make it more bull-like is re-adding bulk around his chest area. I've drawn it out on a previous picture from this thread.

I've cut this area away while separating the legs and I wanted to redefine this area by using cables or pipelines or somesuch. I think this is what you mean concerning how it's front knees are positioned in relation to it's chest, Grim?

I've also tried to visualise a repose using photoshop, but to be honest I'm not sure if photoshopping does a good enough job here Happy Here's the picture anyway:

I can't really show it well enough using pictures, but I think/hope I can manage to create a silhouette similar to the example picture I posted above. Basically, the entire leg/hip-structure is still posable, so I should be able to achieve a fair bit. It's just slightly annoying that I can't glue the pose in place yet, because I still need to have room to greenstuff.

Next time I'm just doing a flaming bull. So much less complicated Tongue

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - JMR - 03-27-2012 08:40 AM

Four more Immortals are nearly completed. I haven't gloss varnished their armour yet. I've included the previous two models for comparison.

Still need to do the weapon handles, skin and I might glaze the scalemail armour a bit. They also still need shields Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - vulcanologist - 03-27-2012 11:23 AM

The immortals look really good! The bull definately needs more work to look less like a toy cow though! Keep at it!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshot - JMR - 03-29-2012 01:36 PM

And because you can never have too many projects going on at once:

Some Immortal Cocktail-stick Bearers! Hoorah!

The models need greenstuffing and I'll probably swap the weapons on the models on the right for their original weapons.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 29 March - Immortal Stick Bearers! - JMR - 03-30-2012 06:07 PM

At last! I got my hands on some plasticard! I've immediately continued work on my Doom Harness. Here's some progress shots.

Please excuse the poor lighting Sad

One of my slaves has ruined part of the left wheel (near the boiler) by spilling glue. (Wasn't my fault, honest.) Rest assured that the slave has been punished accordingly. Respect to the Hat!

On the back I'm working on a slave shovelling coal into a furnace to keep the engine going. I'm considering chaining him to the boiler or something.

Finally, a shot of some chaos-dwarf iconography I've added.

Still a lot to do!
I want to attach some sort of dozer blade to the front of the machine. I'm currently figuring out what shape I actually really want. Suggestions are welcome!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - Admiral - 03-31-2012 04:14 AM

It's looking pretty good, but it could be even better if you remove some of the obvious skaven triangular symbols on the wheel. You could also add a little detail to the rear platform and maybe even the rune of Hashut in the form of rivets. I think you should do a V-dozer blade, like this one: http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/ar/t7647.htm

Perhaps it could be studded with spikes, covered by gore and nailing some severed limb and an unfortunate enemy to the blade?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - Grimstonefire - 03-31-2012 07:05 AM

It's very picky I know, but I'd very carefully slice down either side of the arrow points on the detailing at the front to make sharp points.  If they are rounded at all they might look a bit like mushrooms.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - Kera foehunter - 03-31-2012 07:42 AM

I had a great time watching this project.
Sad that its over  so what is your next project??

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - JMR - 03-31-2012 08:37 AM

Admiral Wrote:
It's looking pretty good, but it could be even better if you remove some of the obvious skaven triangular symbols on the wheel. You could also add a little detail to the rear platform and maybe even the rune of Hashut in the form of rivets. I think you should do a V-dozer blade, like this one: http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/ar/t7647.htm

Perhaps it could be studded with spikes, covered by gore and nailing some severed limb and an unfortunate enemy to the blade?

I'm absolutely going to remove all skaven icons! Adding rivets is also on the list of things to do.
I'm at the moment building a dozer in the shape you linked. I think that shape is the best option. So, thank you!

Adding gory stuff to the dozer crossed my mind too. I find adding limbs or corpses usually looks too over the top or corny though, so I'll probably stick with some blood stains or something. Either way, that's of later concern for now. Still plenty of other things to figure out Big Grin

Grimstonefire Wrote:
It's very picky I know, but I'd very carefully slice down either side of the arrow points on the detailing at the front to make sharp points.  If they are rounded at all they might look a bit like mushrooms.

Good spot! I did that bit when it was getting kinda late and I was getting tired and I also did it with a different technique than I usually use. Conclusion: it didn't come out too well. I think I might redo it using plasticard. Should be easy enough.

Kera Foehunter Wrote:
I had a great time watching this project.
Sad that its over  so what is your next project??

This project isn't nearly over! Not at all! Everything you've seen is still very much WIP.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - vulcanologist - 03-31-2012 09:56 AM

This looks great! I especially like the gobbo on the front! Was it a major job cutting the plasticard to shape for the wheels?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - JMR - 03-31-2012 10:25 AM

Huh? That's not the front xD That's the back!

The icon in the wheels actually wasn't that much work. I had already made it once in wood though, so I guess that helped a bit. But all in all, no, didn't take that much effort.

This is the first time I've worked with plasticard, by the way. It's actually pretty easy to work with. You just score it with a sharp knife a few times and you can snap it off. Being able to work with this stuff opens a lot of doors. Just look at the Astragoth-robot Grim built a while ago or all the stuff Nicodemus built. The possibilities are endless when you are good with plasticard. (Which I'm not!)

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - vulcanologist - 03-31-2012 10:37 AM

Just testing! Wink no really it looks really cool! Really original idea and very well executed too!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - cornixt - 03-31-2012 11:50 AM

It still looks too much like the original Skaven machine for me.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 30 March - Doom Harness Plasticard work - JMR - 03-31-2012 01:16 PM

Another few progress shots.

The dozer blade took me surprisingly long to make, especially the pistons. It's blue-tacked on, so it's pretty much touching the ground. It'll be tilted a little bit so that it doesn't touch the ground when it gets attached for real.

It's funny with projects like this. For every step I take, new questions pop up. I now need to figure out what I'm going to do with the skaven lightning generator thingies on the sides, for example. I'll probably just cut them off almost completely.

cornixt Wrote:
It still looks too much like the original Skaven machine for me.

Myeah. It'll always be a dude driving a mono-wheel contraption. So on a very basic level, it'll always be similar to a Doomwheel. I like the idea of a mono-wheel contraption though. Just need to make it look like it's made by Chaos Dwarves Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - Admiral - 03-31-2012 04:03 PM

You're welcome. Wink

That's starting to look brilliant! You could maybe add a bull's head to the ring hub on the side to chaosify it? And perhaps add some runes or symbols to the dozer blades, as well as rivets or spikes? A chimney or two with chaotic details, belching smoke or not, would perhaps bring the monowheel closer to the Chaos Dwarfs?

As for the likeness to the Skaven Doomwheel - which is certainly seen in the plank wheel - you can always claim that out on a campaign, one of your Hellsmiths salvaged useful scrap after a battle with the ratmen, and built a fearsome warmachine around the inferior Skryre Doomwheel chassis. You take what you have got.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - JMR - 03-31-2012 05:33 PM

I've just finished a 1500 point battle vs. Furrie. Both of us took lists to try stuff out.

Furrie's list:

• 39 Deamonettes + Herald
  • 6 Flamers + Tzeentch Herald
  • 6 Screamers
  • 1 Fiend
  • 1 Fiend
  • 10-12? Seekers

My list:

• 50 Spearhobs
  • 20 Extra-hand weapon Hobs
  • 27 GW Dwarfs + Pyrophant
  • 1 Bull Centaur BSB
  • 1 Arcane Artillery
  • 10 BowHobs
  • Doom Harness

I was very curious about the Doom Harness. I didn't really have a plan while making this army.

I won't type out the entire battle, but I'll pick out some highlights.

In general, I hung back while Furrie advanced towards me. His Seekers vanguarded close to my battle-line. Furrie got first turn and moved up.

I pivoted my Doom Harness to face his Seekers, rolled for movement.... double 6! Curses! That means I lose my Harness at turn one! Luckily, it reached the Seekers. It got to do 3D6 S6 hits instead of 2D6, because it rolled a double for movement. And lo and behold.... I roll 3 sixes for the number of hits!! So, the game had only barely started and I already exploded 2 units - the Doom Harness and his Seekers. Crazy.

Turn 1 and 2 saw Furrie attempting to cast Dwellers while having Throne of Vines up, but failing both times. In my turn 3 I get my Bull Centaur Elder in combat with his Flamers + Tzeentch Herald. My Bull Centaur Elder is pretty much invulnerable with a 2+ ward save vs. Fire and he finally managed to destroy the unit in the final turn.

I manage to destroy his Fiends with my Bull Centaur Elder and my BowHobgoblins. Furrie's horde of Deamonettes doesn't manage to reach combat due to a failed charge in turn 2 and a Flame Cage preventing a charge in turn 3.

In turn 4, I cast a 3D6 fireball at his unit of 6 Screamers that are threatening my entire line, including Artillery. I manage to Miscast in the worst possible way and get to place a S10 large template on half my Chaos Dwarf unit and the nearby BowHobgoblins (but hey, who cares about Hobgoblins?). Not very healthy. I also manage to get my Pyrophant sucked into the realm of chaos in the process. Luckily, my 3D6 Fireball is enough to knock out all 6 Screamers.

This leaves Furrie with his horde of 35ish Deamonettes to finally reach combat with my Chaos Dwarves. My Dwarves lose the combat, but thankfully hold (no general left at the time). This allows me to flank and even rear-charge with my two remaining Hobgoblin units, sealing the battle.

Result: His army is wiped out. About a quarter to half of mine is gone too, mostly by my own hand.

Conclusions: Being able to pick off "chaff" with things such as Hobgoblins with bow, a lone Bull Centaur Elder and Fireballs is nice. Flame Cage can really save your ass, especially if your opponent heavily relies on one particular unit reaching combat. The battle probably would've been different if Furrie managed to cast Dweller's Below once or twice. Then again, me miscasting and the Doom Harness crashing also had a large impact on the battle. Random chance can really be a big factor.
I'm still curious about what a Doom Harness can do if it doesn't crash on turn one...

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - Thommy H - 04-01-2012 04:52 AM

Haha, my book is so broken. Why were his Seekers deployed that close to the Doom Harness? It kills almost anything it touches! What scenario were you playing that had enemy units deployed within 12" of each other?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - JMR - 04-01-2012 05:22 AM

Ah, you're right. I didn't get first turn. My bad. He Vanguarded 12" and then moved another 5" or so.

My first 5 dice all rolling sixes was crazy though. What are the odds? Takes Hat off

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - Thommy H - 04-01-2012 05:52 AM

1 in 7,776.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - JMR - 04-01-2012 06:14 AM

I'll let you know how the thing performs in the other 7775 battles, then Wink

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - Thommy H - 04-01-2012 06:36 AM

Haha. Did Furrie have a chance to read up on the Doom Harness before the battle? Because there's almost nothing his Seekers could have done to stop it - it eats light cavalry for a mid-morning snack. On average, it would have annihilated that unit in two turns anyway. If they'd engaged it, half would have been dead before they even had chance to strike back, then it'd mow through them in the next turn, probably killing the rest. You have to kill it with shooting or magic, or hope it destroys itself without causing even more havoc - as it did this time...

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 31 March - Doom Harness Dozer blade - JMR - 04-05-2012 05:25 PM

Thommy H Wrote:
Haha. Did Furrie have a chance to read up on the Doom Harness before the battle? (...) You have to kill it with shooting or magic, or hope it destroys itself without causing even more havoc - as it did this time...

I explained the rules to him before the battle. I can't really comment much on his tactics, although I don't think either of us expected that the Doom Harness would move 12".
The second part of your quote is very much so true. Don't tell Furrie though Wink

-

I've worked on my Doom Harness again as well as nearly-completed my Palanquin bearers, but I forgot to take pictures of them.
For the Doom Harness, I've kinda reached the point where I just want the damn thing done with now. Quality may suffer from it, but it needs to be done at some point. It's amazing how much time it costs to do small stuff, such as adding rivets or doing "just a minor touch-up" with green-stuff.

Here's where I'm at now:

I'm toying with the idea of adding chains and/or rivets to the big hashut emblem in the wheels. Comments or suggestions for this would be welcome.

The front of the dozer blade:

Toyed with the idea of adding half a chaos star here, as you can see from my drawing. I might do something along those lines with free-hand painting.
It took me forever to find suitable spikes/blades to put on the dozerblade. I still want to add some smaller spikey bits to the top of the blade, but I'm not sure what to use.

The back of the machine is mostly finished (I think), just need to add some coals. I'd like to have smoke coming out of the pipe. Guess I need to look into how I can best create a smoke effect.

I've also been trying to get rid of the wood grain on the wheels without destroying the rivets, because I really, really don't want to have to add rivets to all those wheel parts. The machine's right wheel has received more attention than the left one. The left one only got a small treatment of liquid greenstuff, which doesn't really cut it.

Comments are most welcome!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - The Odor - 04-05-2012 05:35 PM

JMR: I did some smoke a few weeks ago and I took some rough cotton (almost wool) and dosed it in spray adhesive and then you can shape it with your fingers. A bit tricky and messy but the best way that I have found. If you feel generous you can buy one of these: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat670009a&prodId=prod1330001a and take the fire out of his hand and try to do something with it.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - Thommy H - 04-05-2012 05:36 PM

Looks awesome! What parts is the Hobbo on the back made from?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - JMR - 04-05-2012 05:51 PM

The Odor Wrote:
JMR: I did some smoke a few weeks ago and I took some rough cotton (almost wool) and dosed it in spray adhesive and then you can shape it with your fingers. A bit tricky and messy but the best way that I have found. If you feel generous you can buy one of these: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat670009a&prodId=prod1330001a and take the fire out of his hand and try to do something with it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen wool used before, but I'd prefer a more "solid" look - pretty much just like the Firebelly model actually. I'm not that generous to buy it just for the smoke though Big Grin

Armorcast produces some smoke effects that I might just have to buy, like here:

(Oi! Big picture)
This is the "large" variant, but they have smaller ones too.
The reason I haven't bought it yet is because I like to have something else to order along with it. Feels like a bit of a shame to place a small order where the shipping cost outweighs the price of the product Happy

@Thommy: The Hobbo is made in lazy-mode. It's the original skaven crewmember with it's head replaced with a Gretchin head and some plasticard turning the lever he's holding into a shovel. He's a fair bit smaller than my regular Hobgoblins, but I figure that's exactly why he was chosen to work on this machine.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - tjub - 04-06-2012 01:33 AM

I really like those smoke effects, might have to consider them... Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - The Odor - 04-06-2012 05:59 AM

I was gonna buy that one to if my final cotton experiment failed.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - furrie - 04-06-2012 09:34 AM

Does anyone know the scale of the rulers that are used on armorcast?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - JMR - 04-06-2012 11:20 AM

Heh.. that's a good one. I assume it's in centimeters, not really sure why I assume so though.
Their default currency seems to be US dollars. They use centimeters over there, don't they?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - JMR - 04-12-2012 02:25 PM

I've finished building my Doom Harness! I may have rushed the final part a bit, but I'm very glad to have finally completed the converting. Here's the final pictures before painting:

I'm painting the machine right now, so stay tuned...

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completion - Thommy H - 04-12-2012 02:37 PM

Great stuff. Really looking forward to seeing it painted.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 April - Doom Harness conversion completed - Stepper - 04-13-2012 03:20 AM

Ohhh very sweet indeed,

Paint it up mate, can't wait to see the result Big Grin

Ciao,

Stepper

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 April - Doom Harness conversion completed - vulcanologist - 04-13-2012 03:34 AM

Looking good! Very nice wip blog thanks. Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 April - Doom Harness conversion completed - JMR - 04-16-2012 10:19 AM

Today I felt like taking some pictures, so I took some of all the WIP units.

For starters my Palanquin bearers. These Immortals will carry my Sorcerer Lord into battle.

I've started on the Palanquin itself yesterday. I wanted to do a little stairways leading up to a throne/chair. I feel like the platform is going to be too thick this way though, so I may have to reconsider the concept.

A shot of my Immortal unit as it currently stands:

Then my Doom Harness, which has received a first lick of paint:

Very, very, very WIP, but I couldn't resist spending some more time on the smoke effect, so that's a little further along.

Finally, a group shot, showing about half of the units of my planned 2500 point army.

I'm actually fairly seriously considering redoing my bases and get rid of the lava theme. I feel a more natural theme would complement the models better. I wouldn't have gone for lava if I didn't already have it used on my older models. On the other hand, maybe I just need to push on and actually get something finished for once!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 16 April - Army progress shots - JMR - 05-08-2012 09:51 AM

It's been 3 weeks since I last updated! I haven't spent too much time on Warhammer recently and the Warhammer time I did have was spent on various "small" bits that aren't really worth posting about; a little bit of Hobgoblin painting some undead cavalry, but nothing exciting.

I did however receive a unit's worth of Baggronor's Royal Guard, which I am using as warriors armed with great weapons.

I have mentioned before in this thread that I kinda wanted to do non-lava bases, but I continued to use lava because my old dwarves and hobgoblins already use those bases. I'm strongly having doubts once again...
I feel that different coloured bases would bring out my miniatures better and give me the option to play around with grass tufts and such as well as give a more natural and realistic feel. There's something very wrong about walking around terrain with streams of lava everywhere when you think about it. It can't be pleasant when you're a bare-footed Hobgoblin and even a Dwarf must feel nervous about accidentally miss-stepping - how long does an iron boot last when submerged in molten stone?

So, because of that I've sprinkled some different basing material on my models for these pictures (not glued on).

Boots, weapon and his right gauntlet still need to be done. The rest is pretty far along. I might fancy up his cloak a bit with some free-hand, like some runes or such.

Secondly, some old models to show the different basing option.

I would want to tone the sand colour down a bit with a dark brown wash or something and use a lighter grey for the larger rocks. I want to avoid it looking like a desert. The addition of grass tufts or small pieces of wood can make it a little more interesting.
What do you guys think?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases? - Vaftrudnir - 05-08-2012 10:45 AM

Awesome work mate, cant say I like the blue beards but besides that.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases? - Admiral - 05-10-2012 07:05 PM

Great Doom Harness! I think you should paint the sand grey or brown with grey rocks, then add grass tufts, preferrably those nice products from the Army Painter: http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=tap_hob_bxp_tft_101_000

The painting on the Titan Wargames Royal Guard with great weapon looks nice, by the way. The cloak will be ideal for some freehand.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases? - Kronosv13 - 05-10-2012 07:34 PM

That Doom harness is (in high pitch voice) awesome!, great concept and it's come out great, looks suitably Chaos Dwarven.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases? - French_noodle - 05-11-2012 06:06 AM

Very very nice choice of colours Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases? - JMR - 05-14-2012 10:58 AM

I'm still on my quest to find a new basing method. I've come up with the following so far:

There's hardly any grass used on this one, mostly due to a lack of space, but other bases can receive a more prominent tuft of grass.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about what colours would suit my miniatures best, and I'm still not really certain, but I think greens and autumn colours would be the best bet. Hence the grass, leaves and green rims.
The irony is that I'm partly colour-blind and greens, browns and to a smaller degree reds are my weak point Tongue

Opinions?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 14 May - New bases? - Admiral - 05-14-2012 11:59 AM

I like lava bases, but the new base actually look better. I'll have to use some more vegetation on my own bases.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 14 May - New bases? - JMR - 05-28-2012 11:49 AM

@Admiral: I'm glad you like them. It was a pretty hard decision to redo the bases.

Just a quick photo to show that I'm still (slowly) working on my army.

The grand re-basing has begun...

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased. - vulcanologist - 05-28-2012 02:02 PM

I love those hobgoblins! Fantastic unit !

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased. - bas_2312 - 05-28-2012 02:09 PM

Those bases look very cool! Big Grin

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased. - DAGabriel - 05-28-2012 02:56 PM

The Hobgoblins are cool, but the Dwarf is a burner! Is he peeing magma? That little droplets are suspicious.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased. - JMR - 05-28-2012 04:07 PM

DAGabriel Wrote:
The Hobgoblins are cool, but the Dwarf is a burner! Is he peeing magma? That little droplets are suspicious.

The what now? You mean the leaves?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased. - Naagruz - 05-28-2012 08:26 PM

Nice bases!  Very natural & they fit the models.Takes Hat off

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased. - JMR - 07-15-2012 04:18 PM

Wow! Last update was the 28th of may?! About time I posted something again!

I have picked up my mechanical bull a.k.a. Infernal Engine again. I had much bigger plans when I started on this conversion, but it proved to be a bit too far-fetched. Which means the thing was just laying on my desk gathering dust. So, instead of having a model that could theoretically be awesome, but never gets finished - I opted for just getting on with it and live with a lower quality result.

I have completely redone the pose, going for a more aggressive expression. I've also actually glued everything on already, which I am sure is going to cause me problems when trying to do fine detail work with greenstuff. I'll just have to forgo some details in order to get it done.

Pictures!

I'm going to add pistons between all the moving pieces using plasti-rod. I'd also like to add cables here and there, but I don't have the material to do so. Another thing is that I want to add smoke-stacks, and maybe more engine-like parts to make it appear more like a deamon/steam-driven engine. Finally, I might add a howdah or similar construction to it's back to be able to add 3 crew members. (Game-wise, I'll be playing it with 3 crew.)

I know it's still very, very WIP, but... Opinions?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 15 July - Mechanical Bull (Infernal Engine) - fairoaks024 - 07-15-2012 05:05 PM

looks really good to me, my only question, the back half seems to be very low in comparison to
the front half, i presume you are covering that with another layer of something?

regards

jim

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 15 July - Mechanical Bull (Infernal Engine) - JMR - 07-15-2012 06:19 PM

Yeah, it is getting a layer of armour using green stuff, that will raise it a little, although not too much. I've changed the entire posture and build of the body to match this picture I googled:

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 15 July - Mechanical Bull (Infernal Engine) - CopperPot - 07-16-2012 01:39 AM

Nice work can see now that the Bull is coming along nicely I take it your using Tommys list do you plan on adding ogres or Black Orcs.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 15 July - Mechanical Bull (Infernal Engine) - JMR - 07-16-2012 06:23 AM

Yup, I'm using Thommy's book. I don't have any plans to add Ogres or Black Orcs any time soon. I do have an unpainted Ogre army though, and there's 2 ogres used as fillers in my Hobgoblin unit.
I kinda always wanted to have a few Black Orcs to paint, but they're so expensive now... Somewhere, far in the back of my mind, I have some plans to maybe start an Orcs and Goblins army someday using my Hobgoblins as Goblins and buying Orcs to go along with them.
Probably never going to happen Wink

As far as my Chaos Dwarves go, I'm pretty much working towards a 2500ish point list including:

• Sorcerer Lord on Palanquin
  • Bull Centaur BSB
  • Pyrophant
  • 28 Warriors with GW
  • 18 Immortals
  • 50 Hobgoblins
  • 6 Hellborn Constructs (K'daai style)
  • Doom Harness
  • Infernal Engine

I'd love to get this finished and playable at some point, but I tend to hop between projects a lot and end up never getting anything done Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 15 July - Mechanical Bull (Infernal Engine) - fairoaks024 - 07-16-2012 06:32 AM

thanks for the reply JMR, that sounds like, and i fully expect from your work, that it'll be epic.

regards

jim

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 15 July - Mechanical Bull (Infernal Engine) - JMR - 07-21-2012 09:45 AM

@fairoaks Thanks! That's quite a compliment. It also adds more pressure to deliver Wink

Here's my Doom Harness completed, used in the Golden Hat competition.

A pretty a-typical Chaos Dwarf engine amongst all the other entries, so I don't think I'll get a lot of votes, but I personally am really happy with it.

The white on the dozer blade came out a little too white in the pictures.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished - Bassman - 07-21-2012 09:50 AM

It was one of my top 6-7. unfortunately at the end you did not get my vote (dozer blade too 40k imo) but I really love details like the furnace and the crewhobbo :-)

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished - JMR - 07-21-2012 10:56 AM

I might as well update on my Infernal Engine's progress while I'm at it.
I'm still happily slavering away on it's construction. I've green-stuffed more armour, then dremeled it off again to make room for a crew-compartment. Dropped the thing, shattering into pieces, rebuilt it, re-did armour again etc etc. In short; pictures:

Some dwarves are included to give a better idea of it's scale.

Oh yeah, I've also repositioned it's rear-axle/hip further up into the body-work.
Still a ton to do... After completing some armour on it's legs I'll add a big exhaust pipe on it's back along with pistons between the moving parts and some random pipes and such to add to the steam-engine feel. Then there's the crew-compartment and the crew itself. Like I said, still a ton to do...

P.S. I try not to think about how many rivets I'll have to glue on.. all those small black dots will be rivets. Sick

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - Borador - 07-21-2012 12:52 PM

Holy cow. It's really starting to come together. I always find it hard to see where people want to go at the start of a scratch-built project, but now there's a clearer image in my head of your infernal engine and I really like where this is going! Looks very good!

The doom engine machine also turned out very nicely, the smoke really adds character to the piece IMO.

Keep it up! (:

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - DAGabriel - 07-21-2012 01:48 PM

Nice work, don`t keep us in suspense! It is weekend, so go, go go!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - fairoaks024 - 07-21-2012 03:51 PM

Borador Wrote:
Holy cow. -

Un-Holy Cow!

great work, looking better with each update

regards

jim

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - JMR - 07-21-2012 04:51 PM

DAGabriel Wrote:
Nice work, don`t keep us in suspense! It is weekend, so go, go go!

Well, I'm playing a game of Warhammer tomorrow. So that's pretty much going to be it for Warhammer-hobbying for this weekend.

In case anyone is interested, here's the army list I'm going to use:

Code:
1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord on Palanquin
     General; Lore of Hashut; Magic Level 4
     Talisman of Preservation
     Earthing Rod

18 Immortals
     Full Command

1 Bull Centaur Elder
     Throwing Axes; Chaos Armour; Shield; Battle Standard
     Dawn Stone
     The Other Tricksters Shard
     Dragonhelm

1 Pyrophant
     Magic Level 1; Lore of Fire
     Channeling Staff

28 Chaos Dwarf Warriors
     Great Weapon; Full Command

50 Hobgoblins
     Spear; Light Armour; Full Command

1 Bull Centaur Doom Harness

1 Infernal Engine
     Thundrous Charge
     Fiendish Blast
     Ironclad
     3 Hellforge Guard
          Great Weapon

1 Arcane Artillery
     Diabolic Sentience

1 Arcane Artillery
     Diabolic Sentience

10 Hobgoblins
     Normal Bow; Light Armour; Musician

Total Army Cost: 2400.0

Sorcerer Lord goes with the Immortals. Pyrophant with Warriors most likely. Bull Centaur Elder is there to hunt chaff, warmachines or add punch to a combat.

I'm wondering how my Infernal Engine performs. I think it looks a little too big for what it's capable off. Even so, it should have quite a punch on the charge with D6 Impact Hits (Thundrous Charge), Flame Breath (Fiendish Blast) and Thunderstomp.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - Thommy H - 07-21-2012 05:08 PM

Looks like a nicely balanced list. I'll be interested to see how it works out. I'm fascinated by the idea of someone convincing their opponent to play against some army book from the internet that I wrote.

I really like the "Doom Harness", by the way, although I'm not totally convinced by the white on the dozer blade... It's a really nice paintjob though, and a great model.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - Kera foehunter - 07-22-2012 07:33 AM

love the bull idea !!  Best idea ever

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - JMR - 07-22-2012 11:26 AM

The battle is over! I bring back more slaves for the pits of Zharr Naggrund. Put them to use quickly though, because these wretched Lizardmen don't tend to last very long in our lands.

Battle report, 2400 points vs. Lizardmen.
I don't remember everything exactly, so things like casualty numbers aren't correct in the pictures.

First off, here's my opponent's army.

Code:
Lizardmen
---------
  (TG) 20 Temple Guard with (SMP) Slann Mage Priest

(S1) 28 Saurus (Spears+Shield)

(S2) 28 Saurus (HW+Shield)

(S3) 14 Skinks with (SP) Skink Priest

(C) 9 Charmeleons

(Steg) Stegadon

(Sal1) Salamander

(Sal2) Salamander

And mine.

Code:
Chaos Dwarfs
------------
  (I) 18 Immortals with (SL) Sorcerer Lord on Palanquin

(BCE) Bull Centaur Elder

(H) 50 Hobgoblins

(CDW) 28 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Pyrophant

(HA) 10 Hobgoblin Archers

(DH) Doom Harness

(IE) Infernal Engine

(AA1) Warmachine, Arcane Artillery

(AA2) Warmachine, Arcane Artillery

Deployment

Slann Mage priest used Lore of Light (for a change of pace) and got Pha's Protection, Speed of Light, Net of Amyntok and Birona's Timewarp. I don't know what the Skink priest got, because he never cast anything.
My Lord got Fugue of Hashut, Storm of Ash, Flames of Azgorh and Shadow of Hashut. My Pyrophant took Fireball.

Lizardmen Turn 1

Lizards got the first turn and moved up at full speed. The Salamanders opened fire and inflicted casualties on the Hobgoblins, while the other fire breath fell short. The scouting Charmeleon Skinks quickly took out one of my Artillery pieces. The magic phase saw the Slann casting Net of Amyntok on my Sorcerer Lord and his unit.

Chaos Dwarf turn 1

I was reluctant to expose my Infernal Engine to the enemy skinks on my right flank, but finally decided that it'd be best to just move up and hope for some (magical) shooting to rout the Skinks.
Net of Amyntok prevented my Immortals from moving. Reluctant to break my battle-line because of this, I moved up only a short distance. My Doom Harness did his best to get to the enemy's line as soon as possible, this turn moving 5".

Magic was fairly hopeless. The Net of Amyntok prevented my Sorcerer Lord from casting anything. My Pyrophant 6-diced a maximum level Fireball at his Skinks, but pulled out a dispell scroll.
Shooting saw my remaining Cannon desperately trying to avoid certain death by firing at the Charmeleon Skinks and killing 4 of them. Hobgoblin Archers whittled away killing a Skink Skirmisher or two.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - JMR - 07-22-2012 11:28 AM

Lizardmen turn 2

Turn two saw the Lizardmen advancing again, but parking themselves far enough away to give me a fairly difficult charge of 11" to reach his units. Charmeleon Skinks moved further in to take out my remaining Artillery piece. On the right flank the Skink skirmishers did what I feared they would do and leaped around my Infernal Engine to shoot it up. The large number of Poisoned shooting attacks could easily spell doom for my Engine, but they only inflicted 3 wounds leaving my Engine to wreck more havock.

To my surprise, the Stegodon moved up into the face of both my Bull Centaur Elder and the Infernal Engine.
The Salamanders shot down some more Hobgoblins and some Chaos Dwarf Warriors.

Magic was uneventful.

Chaos Dwarf turn 2

The Doom Harness pilot commanded his Hobgoblin servant to stoke up the furnace for extra power and moved 9" ahead, running over a Salamander (but not killing it) and the Temple Guard (+/- 7 casualties).

Due to my Immortals lacking behind thanks to Net of Amyntok, I was reluctant to charge in. The charge distance was a bit of a gamble either way. I choose to have my Immortals move up to close the line again, while my Hobgoblins assumed a bus formation to stall the opposing Saurus unit for as long as possible.
On the right flank, the Infernal Engine and Bull Centaur jumped upon the Stegadon and killed it in one round. Electing not to overrun, they reformed to face the battle line.

In the Magic Phase my Lord cast AoE Fugue of Hashut, effecting my entire army. The Hobgoblin Archers were startled by the powers of Hashut effecting them and barely managed to escape going into a panic.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 July - Doom Harness finished + Infernal Engine - JMR - 07-22-2012 11:29 AM

Lizardmen turn 3

Things got serious now.

The Saurus on the left flank charged my Hobgoblins while the Temple Guard met my Immortals. The second Saurus unit failed it's charge or simply moved up slightly (I forgot). Salamanders and Charmeleons tried to find a good position to fire from.

I knew the Magic Phase was going to be crucial. My troops were buffed with Hatred. If my opponent would manage to buff up his own troops, I would probably be in for a lot of hurt. I let Speed of Light go through, saving all my dice to dispell Timewarp, but the Slann didn't reach the required casting cost! My Dispell dice went un-used, but I was glad not to fight Timewarped Saurus and Temple Guard!

The Saurus killed plenty of Hobgoblins, but the greenskins in turn managed to score 7 Poisoned hits, killing several Saurus. The Hobs still lost combat (as expected) and only had to pass a Leadership 10 Steadfast roll. No problem, right? Wrong. They turned tail and fled. The Saurus elected to restrain and reformed to face my Immortals.

The Temple Guard and Immortals exchanged blows. The Dawi Zharr proved to be more durable and won the combat. The Temple Guard unit stubbornly stood their ground, but was only at about half strength now.

Shooting got a few Dwarves killed and put 1 more wound on my Infernal Engine. The Renegeration save from Fugue of Hashut saved my Engine's hide here.

Chaos Dwarf turn 3

Things were looking good for the evil dwarves on the right flank, but the Hobgoblins had failed their masters on the left flank.

The Hobgoblins regained their posture and rallied. Thanks to only having fled 5" the previous turn, they still blocked the opposing Saurus unit from making a flank charge on the Immortals. My Doom Harness turned and ran over the Saurus.

The right flank saw my Warriors, Infernal Engine and Bull Centaur Elder charge in on the other Saurus unit.

In the Magic Phase, I failed to reach the casting cost of an army-wide Fugue of Hashut (thanks to the Slann removing power dice that rolled a 6). With his concentration broken and my Pyrophant in combat, I had nothing left to cast.

The Immortals made short work of the remaining Temple Guard, leaving just the Saurus Hero and Slann alive. They fled and got overrun. The game was pretty much decided here. In the other combat I used my Engine's breath weapon, rolling a double 6 for the number of hits. I felt bad rolling so good after just knocking out my opponents most important unit, but the 12 breath attack hits managed to inflict exactly 0 casualties! All saving throws were met! It was too late for my opponent though. The Saurus unit got beaten in combat, broke and got overrun.
We called it quits here.

Victory for the Dawi Zharr!

Post combat thoughts
The dice gods were on my side. My opponent didn't manage to make it count in the magic phase. One Timewarp could've decided the combats in his favour, leading to a totally different battle. I also think he underestimated my Doom Harness. It was the first time he faced it, although I did let him read the rules at his leisure before the battle and told him several times how to get rid of it and to not let it go unchecked. We both agreed that he didn't really have spare means to do so though. He didn't have enough magic superiority to deal with it and his Skinks were busy with other targets. We also concluded that one or two more "chaff" units to disrupt my battle line or hunt my warmachines would've caused me plenty of trouble. Some terradons to hunt my warmachines would've freed up his charmeleons to deal with my Doom Harness, for example.

All in all it was a quick and smooth battle and we both had fun, although my opponent did curse his dice (with good reason!). It had also been several months for my opponent to play a game so he was a bit rusty. Still, fun times were had!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 July - 2400p Battle Report vs. Lizardmen - JMR - 07-23-2012 02:41 PM

I've pulled my models out of the cabinet for some photo's to show the current state of my army.

Army shot

Immortals with Sorcerer Lord

I still have to think about the palanquin and what model I want to use for the lord itself. This is my old Mantic-based sorcerer. He's a bit of a goofy model, but in a way I kinda like referring to my old army. He'll do for now.

Hobgoblins

Warriors with Great Weapons

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 23 July - Army Shot - Borador - 07-23-2012 03:15 PM

The army is looking good so far!
Your units are progressing nicely. The colourscheme really does the minis justice IMO.

Nice battle report by the way, it was fun to read!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 23 July - Army Shot - vulcanologist - 07-23-2012 03:34 PM

Fantastic!! Really looking good! If my immortals look half as good as yours I'll be a happy man! Your hobbos are my personal favourite though... Great unit!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 23 July - Army Shot - Thommy H - 07-23-2012 03:34 PM

Good stuff - sounds like you got really lucky with the Doom Harness especially!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 23 July - Army Shot - Threadbare - 07-23-2012 09:15 PM

Nice battle report. How did you draw those up?

The army seems to be coming along nicely. The lord on the palanquin, if he is stone you could just keep using that model and say that styles change even in chaos dwarf culture and that when he wasn't stone this is what was in Tongue Wink

Always loved your hobgobs. Keep it up.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 23 July - Army Shot - JMR - 07-24-2012 05:15 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Thommy: I wasn't especially lucky with the Harness, although I wasn't unlucky with it either. I could've easily rolled a shorter movement distance, taking another turn before I could run over stuff. In the 3 turns it moved, I think I rolled 5", 9", 7". That would be exactly average Happy
I was "lucky" in the way that it got complete free reign, though.

@Threadbare: I used Battle Chronicler (http://www.battlechronicler.com/). It takes a bit of time to set up, but it does produce excellent pictures.
He isn't turned to stone (yet), but yeah, I do like the idea of him wearing a traditional outfit. I was considering using the old Big Hat Sorcerer model. My Bull Centaur Elder is also represented by a Big Hat classic. I can imagine these two characters being ancient enough to still cling to old ways of outfitting themselves.
Anything for an excuse to use a few Big Hats Wink

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 23 July - Army Shot - JMR - 09-03-2012 08:46 AM

I've made some progress on my Great Weapon wielding warriors. These are still WIP, most notably they need their weapons done and a few washes.

The rest of the unit is at the same stage of painting, but I haven't glued them to their bases yet, because they'd be hard to paint on multi-bases. Here you can see how I have divided their bases in a badly focussed photo Happy

The bases are going to get tufts of grass and fallen leaves and I have plans to add a dead tree to the big (and currently empty) base in the rear ranks. Finally, something unseen but nonetheless pretty handy - most of my chaos dwarfs bases and their movement trays are magnetised now making for (hopefully) easy transportation.

In closing, I still find it hard to photograph these models correctly. On my screen the scale-mail looks pretty much purely golden, but they have a very clear hint of silver in reality. The same goes for the beards, they tend up looking a vibrant blue in pictures.

Oh well... Opinions?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 Sept - 2H Warriors - ryanamandaanna - 09-03-2012 09:34 AM

Very nice!  I like the diorama bases!  Cheers!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 Sept - 2H Warriors - Chico - 09-03-2012 10:52 AM

Very tasty work indeed, im impressed Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 3 Sept - 2H Warriors - CopperPot - 09-03-2012 01:34 PM

Love your work dude great base.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - JMR - 09-07-2012 02:24 PM

Picked this Pyromancer out of my lead pile yesterday. I suddenly had the urge to paint it, and almost completed it in one go. What a fun model to paint!

The OSL was fun to do, unfortunately my pictures seem to show up being too brightly red. Most notably the arm looks like it's just as red as the flame itself, but it isn't in reality. I don't understand photography Unsure

The model is finished, but the base needs a little more work.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - rubencm81 - 09-07-2012 02:47 PM

Nice!! Good job man!!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - ryanamandaanna - 09-07-2012 03:22 PM

love it.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - DAGabriel - 09-07-2012 04:08 PM

Lovely, great work on that Pyromancer. Personally I think the OSL is a little strong on the arm but that is very minor.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - vulcanologist - 09-07-2012 04:20 PM

Lovely lovely model!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - Chico - 09-07-2012 04:43 PM

Very nice, more please Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - Thorin - 09-07-2012 05:11 PM

Love it, great job!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyromancer - JMR - 09-07-2012 05:41 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

@DAGabriel: I fully agree with you. It's the damn picture though, it's not that bright red in real life. I don't understand why my camera picks out the red so strongly.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyrophant - Mad Dave - 09-07-2012 07:48 PM

I love the paint job!! How did you paint the flames when i do it they never turns out very well. I know silly question but im interested to know none the less.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyrophant - JMR - 09-08-2012 04:51 AM

@Mad Dave: The flames were fairly simple. I started with a white primer and glazed it with GW's new yellow glaze. I then worked into red on the flames further away from the center of the fireball using a bit of red glaze, and I think I might've used a little bit of Blood Red as well. After that I applied Adeptus Battlegrey (dark grey) to some flame tips - mostly the tips at the top of the fireball, but I also tried to touch some smaller tips that are half-way the fireball. A small "highlight" with Chaos Black followed by a carefull red glaze on the dark tips finished it off.

Painting flames is pretty much two things: the fire is hottest at it's center, and colder the further away you get. So that means red at the outer parts and more towards yellow or white or maybe even a slightly blueish white for the center. The second thing to keep in mind is that a flame should be living and therefore slightly irregular. The black tips work great for this. You can go a little more crazy on bigger flames. Giving the hot spot an irregular shape or having one flame burning slightly brighter/hotter or having a black/cold spot surprisingly (but not unnaturally) close to a hot spot all adds to having a living, chaotic fire.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyrophant - Baggronor - 09-08-2012 05:22 AM

Nice paint job Cheers!

Love the Doomwheel/bulldozer thing too - especially the exhaust!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyrophant - JMR - 09-08-2012 05:28 AM

Thanks for the great sculpt, Baggronor! It was truly a joy to paint Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyrophant - Mad Dave - 09-08-2012 03:07 PM

Ahh thank you for those wise words JMR Happy i shall print your advice out and pop it in my little tips book and have a bash Takes Hat off

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - JMR - 10-10-2012 05:35 PM

So I've gone crazy last week and bought a Maulerfiend box to use as a second Infernal Engine and maybe supply some bits/inspiration for my Bull-shaped Infernal Engine.

Here we go:

The neck and head are blue-tacked on. I might modify the head a bit. I'll remove it's tongue for sure. The bits of floral wire are to be used as a frame for black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes in the same way as done on my Doom Harness.

I've built a Sorcerer Lord to use the Infernal Engine as a mount, which by the way, seems like a terrible, terrible choice from a tactical point of view Takes Hat off
The throne and the way it connects to the Infernal Engine is still WIP.

Picture limit, continuing in next post.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - Pyrophant - JMR - 10-10-2012 05:44 PM

Here's the trick; he can be completely removed allowing the Infernal Engine to go solo:

Which allows the Sorcerer Lord to be carried into battle on top of a Palanquin carried by Immortals instead.

In the mean time I've been working on my ever-lasting mechanical bull project. Most notably the legs have been reworked. It's head is nearly finished. I've added some armour plates from the Maulerfiend kit to it's front legs - plates on the shins still need to be added. I'm not sure I'm too happy with how this has turned out, but that's kind of the story of this Bull; always one step back, two forward. I'll finish it someday!

RE: RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - Goltor Lintrepide - 10-10-2012 06:27 PM

I'm considering myself to use a maulerfiend but as a destroyer.

I'd like to know the size of the base it's fitting on.

Nice Sorcerer Lord by the way.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - JMR - 10-10-2012 07:09 PM

It's on a 100x150 base in my pictures.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - tjub - 10-11-2012 12:31 AM

Oh, I like what I see! Is that the old mechanical arm dwarf character?
Really inspiring work JMR... Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - JMR - 10-11-2012 11:20 AM

Yeah, it is. Some kind of special character engineer I think.
Ah, GW still sells him apparently; "Dwarf Engineer Guildmaster, Burlock Damminson".

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - Kera foehunter - 10-11-2012 04:46 PM

I like the clock work bull  made out of green stuff
and that other thingy is sweet to . I like how you can take the Sorcerer Lord  off and use him
again for something else

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - Bolg - 10-11-2012 05:02 PM

Loving the Big monster!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - frogbear - 10-11-2012 09:35 PM

This thread is full of awesomeness.

Great work.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lord - CopperPot - 10-13-2012 02:17 AM

First person I've seen using this model nice work looks like it will make an awesome infernal engine or destroyer.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - JMR - 10-17-2012 10:06 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Primed and ready to go!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - Admiral - 10-17-2012 10:14 AM

Your army has become an example to follow well done on the Infernal Guards and that K'daai Destroyer! Good to see that the wedged bulldozer worked out fine in the end. Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - bas_2312 - 10-17-2012 10:18 AM

Very cool! I'll keep my eye on this blog, you just keep turning out awesome models!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - Nicodemus - 10-17-2012 01:27 PM

Good gravy... the fiend turned out fantastic!!
What did you do to create the smoke effects?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - DAGabriel - 10-17-2012 01:29 PM

Really great, hurry on, want to see that thing painted.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - JMR - 10-17-2012 01:55 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
Good gravy... the fiend turned out fantastic!!
What did you do to create the smoke effects?

The smoke effects are very simple to make, although maybe a bit unconventional...
Remember how back in school people used to toss wet paper balls that would stick to the walls or ceiling? (I never did such things ofcourse!) Well, that's pretty much the trick.

All you need is a few sheets of paper kitchen towel and some super glue.
For these smoke stacks I first made a frame using 4 bits of floral wire. If I recall correctly I didn't do so on my Doom Harness, so it's not strictly necessary to make a frame.
The initial "pillar" of smoke coming out of the stacks is done by twisting some paper around the floral wire. Put some glue on there to fixate it. Try not getting your fingers stuck.
The rest of the smoke is made by putting some paper in your mouth and chewing it into a ball. If you don't fancy eating paper you can dip it in a bit of water, but I find the paper gets far, far too wet this way. Either way, put some super glue on your growing cloud and stick the ball of paper on.
Start with small balls of paper at the front of the smoke-cloud and gradually increase the size of the paper balls as you move further along. Try to create a logical shape by imagining a wind direction.

That's pretty much it! You can further reinforce the whole thing by putting more super glue on there. It'll harden up quite nicely once dry. I have also applied some liquid green-stuff to these two smoke-clouds after everything had thoroughly dried (but again didn't do so to the smoke on my Doom Harness). I don't think this last step really achieves anything. Don't apply too much glue or liquid green stuff though, because you want to keep the texture of the paper instead of a smooth finish.

One word of caution; I've found that super glue on paper towels briefly gives off some strange fume or such which was slightly irritating for my eyes. Easily solved by not keeping it under your nose while applying glue.

It may not be a perfect result, but I found it to be highly effective considering how little time it takes to do so.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - Nicodemus - 10-17-2012 06:05 PM

Interesting technique to say the least!  I would never have guessed it would turn out this well.  Alas, the use of super glue puts this one out of consideration for me due to a severe acquired allergic response to even the slighted whiff of cyano acrylate and it's derivatives. Less than a drop (maybe 500 microL or less) in front of me for only a few seconds will have me sneezing non-stop within a few hours and a headache so bad I want to crawl into a hole and die Tongue   ... I've got a respirator if I need to glue one or two small things, but then I need to keep it on for a while after until the fumes are done... but once the good weather hits I might be able to do this outside with a respirator on as it looks like this idea would scale up pretty well to making larger smoke plumes.

~N

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - JMR - 10-17-2012 07:27 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
Interesting technique to say the least!  I would never have guessed it would turn out this well.

Me neither! When making the smoke on my Doom Harness I planned to sculpt it with green stuff, but figured it would be smart to save on some green stuff by using some paper filler as it's core. Ended up not needing green stuff at all.

As for super glue. I simply use it because it sets quickly. I don't know if all glues hold cyano acrylate (only super-glue, right?), but other glues should work too, albeit a bit slower. I think the paper itself actually hardens up without the use of glue. I'm not sure if that's due to something in saliva or if tap water works too.
Either way, you only really need something to stick it together. You can harden it with liquid green-stuff or maybe some watered down miliput.

You've picked a bad allergy considering our hobby! Tongue Wink I have a new-found respect for all your crazy constructions.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - Da Crusha - 10-17-2012 07:50 PM

very nice work! that destroyer looks great!

@nico: thats too bad you have such a bad reaction to superglue. do you use any other product instead that doesn't effect you so poorly?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - Bolg - 10-17-2012 08:18 PM

I love how the smoke makes the model so muck more balanced out. really looking forward to the end result.
Oh and thanks for sharing all the WIP and how to!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - DAGabriel - 10-18-2012 02:00 AM

Right, have two slaves to help you with the work.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - JMR - 10-18-2012 03:16 AM

DAGabriel Wrote:
Right, have two slaves to help you with the work.

Thank you! It was just time to feed the daemonic furnaces again. They shall do nicely. Takes Hat off

Thanks again for the replies guys. I started painting yesterday without having a master plan in mind. I'm afraid I'm going to struggle a bit finding the right paint scheme, but we'll see... I might take some pictures later.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primed - Singleton Mosby - 10-18-2012 04:55 AM

I really like the Destroyer a lot. The smoke effect is just awesome.

JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Paint WIP - JMR - 10-24-2012 10:37 AM

Here's a set of pictures of the WIP paintjob on my Infernal Engine. I've also started on it's base.

I've chosen a tin-bitz based colour for it's main armour, which is the standard colour for armour in my army. I'm afraid it's going to blend a bit too much with it's base this way though. On the other hand, the base isn't finished, and I find adding tufts of grass and some fallen leaves changes the base completely.

I also had/have my doubts about the colour I've chosen for the fleshy bits. I feel it fits the colour of the armour nicely, but I wasn't convinced from a fluff point of view. A fiery appearance might've suited better. I somehow managed to forget to highlight the head and neck while highlighting the skin.

I'm strongly tempted to do a black and white pattern on it's forearms, because such patterns are a recurring theme in my army. It's the bog-standard way of painting this thing though, which puts me off Tongue

Lastly, I'm doing some sort of glow effect coming through the gaps in it's chest-armour. In hindsight, it might've been cool to have sculpted some lava dripping out of there. I might do a glow effect coming out around the base of it's neck too, but that might be a bit too much.

I might buy a second Maulerfiend someday, because I have some good ideas for a different conversion...

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Paint WIP - Goltor Lintrepide - 10-24-2012 12:19 PM

Great! It look awesome but it's way too fleshy and not enough firy for my taste.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Paint WIP - Admiral - 10-24-2012 06:04 PM

Fine K'daai so far, but the flesh could do with some reddening around around its torn edges (where machinery shows through) to make it look irritated. Perhaps some brown washes could tone down the pink, too?

Otherwise I think you should apply fiery glow to the base of the neck and maybe also the eyes. How would it look with lava glow from the exhaust pipes' holes and daemonic mouths?

JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 19 Nov - Bull Centaur Conversions - JMR - 11-19-2012 03:59 PM

Thanks to warh's Bull Centaur conversion I've taken the plunge myself and finally picked up a couple of spare chaos steeds I had lying about.

I'm mainly aiming at getting a Bull Centaur Elder (with Army Standard) converted, because I tend to put it in my list whenever I can, but I figured I might as well try to make some regular Bull Centaur troopers to go along with him.

Here's some first progress shots of the elder and one trooper:

The banner on the Elder is mostly just a mock up. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to use for a banner. I like the size of this one, but I'm not too fond of it being tattered like it is.
I changed the torso of the trooper for a Titan Wargames torso in the end, but I initially had some old self-sculpted torso's that I was going to use. I have some concerns about the size of the current torso, but I hope I can bulk it out sufficiently.

Opinions are welcome!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 19 Nov - Bull Centaur Conversions - Admiral - 11-19-2012 04:21 PM

The bull body is as bulky as it should be on both Bull Centaurs, but I suspect the second beast will present problems to be overcome. Perhaps you should thicken the back of the Titan Wargames dwarf, because they are somewhat thin for dwarfs by GW standards. This isn't at all an issue in an infantry unit of them, but Bull Centaurs have become massive as of late and does as such benefit from big upper torsos. The big hat model used for the BSB achieve this goal perfectly with his gigantism size and thickness.

As such you should consider thickening out his backside and possibly also sculpt on some extra beard to make it stick out more with a "lower lip" as the 5th edition miniature's beard do. The question is if Baggronor's more realistic dwarf is too tiny overall for your conversion to work, because the head looks as if it could do with a couple of bull horns to avoid drowning in the sheer bulk of the centaur body.

Further more you could add to the bovine impression by giving them cloven hooves. I also think you should add straps and more armour to the newly sculpted front bull torsos.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 19 Nov - Bull Centaur Conversions - warh - 11-19-2012 04:59 PM

Nice! Looking forward to see them finished.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 19 Nov - Bull Centaur Conversions - JMR - 11-19-2012 05:01 PM

@Admiral: I agree with everything that you've said. On the Titan torso, I think it's very likely that I'll end up using only the head and possibly shoulder armour. The rest needs to be (re)sculpted to either fix lost detail or to bulk the model out. It might've been better to just use a Chaos Knight head or such though...
By the way, note that this is only the very first step when it comes to putty-work. There's quite a few layers yet to follow such as armour and, like you said, hooves.

For reference, here's some very old pictures of the other torsos I could use instead for the troopers:

Again, it would be mostly the head that gets used. The shoulders would get broader and the beards would probably be redone too.
They give a completely different vibe to the model though.

JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - JMR - 11-20-2012 07:18 PM

I made some more progress on my Bull Centaur BSB:

Things to do: Fix front armour, sculpt hooves, sculpt up his left arm, add flames to weapon, add a tail and sort out the banner. Maybe add some rivets to the armour plates on his back. Looking at the pictures I might have to bulk out the front of his bull body slightly more.

The spear/lance was actually added on a whim. I initially planned to give him an axe or mace for a more "stout" look, but I couldn't resist the more dynamic pose a lance would give. I am kinda worried that the model now suffers from Chaos Knightism though, i.e. used to many Chaos Knight bits.

It was fun to sculpt up the scale mail, doing my best to match the sculpting work some guy did 20? 25? years ago. Was it the Perry's who sculpted the Big Hats?

I haven't really done anything on the trooper model anymore, apart from some rough mock-ups using poster dummy to get a better sense of how the model would end up. I'm pretty convinced I'd be better off using the larger torsos pictured in the previous post.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - DAGabriel - 11-21-2012 01:08 AM

Looking real good and imho you are right about the lance. We are the real chaos so don`t mind the knights.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - Karring - 11-21-2012 06:44 AM

That BC is really dinamic and awesome. Bravo

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - Kera foehunter - 11-22-2012 09:01 AM

Nice set of tall hats like the bull centaur !! But i love the greens of your Warriors

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - Admiral - 11-22-2012 10:02 AM

The Perry Twins sculpted the Blood Bowl Chaos Dwarfs and Hobgoblins, and thus I suspect they sculpted the WHFB big hats too.

The BSB looks good, although I think he'd also be fine with a shorter weapon than the lance. He might be the best Bull Centaur conversion using Chaos Knight horses which I've seen. Besides rivets you could also try some fresques akin to those on the FW Bull Centaur armour parts. Other than that, go for on of your earlier heads. The bottom right one looks particularly good.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - Kronosv13 - 01-01-2013 12:04 PM

Best kitbashed bull centaurs, period, love them they look very much what i expect bull centaurs too like but much more in lieu with the current look of warhammer. I may have to use the idea of extending the chaos knight horses in that manner, somewhat, stolen/pinched.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - Xander - 01-01-2013 10:49 PM

Those hobgoblins are really fantastic. Perfect execution.

Everything else looks great too. Keep up the fine work.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - tjub - 01-03-2013 03:59 AM

Great work, both the engine and bulls!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - frogbear - 01-03-2013 04:19 AM

Now that is one very nice Bull Centaur Standard!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 20 Nov - Bull Centaur BSB - JMR - 01-07-2013 06:13 PM

Thanks for the praise guys! My hands itch every time I look at my Bull Centaur BSB. He only really needs a tail added and some minor fixes on his banner top - he's been in that state for weeks now. I've been tempted to convert up some regular Bull Centaurs, but I'm doing my best to focus on my Greek Mythology army for now.

I'm sure I'll return to my dwarves again sooner or later...

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 27 Jan - Bull Centaurs - JMR - 01-27-2013 12:59 PM

I Wrote:
I'm sure I'll return to my dwarves again sooner or later...

Guess it ended up being sooner rather than later...

I've finally put the finishing touches to my Bull Centaur Elder BSB. It should be ready for paint now.

And I'm working on two regular Bull Centaurs. It's a little hard to show them right without glueing them to bases, as they're supposed to be tilted a bit. Anyways, here you go:

The plan is to give this guy a flail in his right hand. I'm hoping the chains will add to the movement in the miniature. I might go with a mace or axe if it doesn't work out though.
I'm toying with the idea of giving him a katar-like weapon on his left fist, or a shield or even a combination of the two, like an ogre iron-fist, but I think I like it best when it's empty. Opinions on this are welcome!

And the third one. This one has only just started taking shape. His bull-body has quite a bit of an angle/bend in it, which I hope will help to make it look more alive. He'll have his right hand pointing/thrusting his weapon downwards at the enemy with an outstretched arm. It's tempting to give him a spear/lance, but it might be best not to overdo it with those weapons seeing as my Elder already has one. I'm going to see if I can give this one slightly different armour, just for the sake of variety.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 27 Jan - Bull Centaurs - DAGabriel - 01-27-2013 02:32 PM

Great work so far, am deeply impressed.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 27 Jan - Bull Centaurs - Kera foehunter - 01-27-2013 03:24 PM

ahhhhhhhhh he so cute and he happy  yea!!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 27 Jan - Bull Centaurs - tjub - 01-27-2013 04:05 PM

Looks great so far!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 27 Jan - Bull Centaurs - Malikos - 01-27-2013 04:19 PM

Whoa! Great sculpting / conversion work. Now off to look at the rest of this blog....

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 27 Jan - Bull Centaurs - JMR - 09-06-2013 10:42 AM

By Hashut! The last time I posted here was in January?!

That is a long time ago. Admittedly, I have left my chaos dwarves standing for a while, but I have done a few bits and bobs on them in the past few months. Time for an update.

Last week I (finally!) received my Reaper Bones Kickstarter. This means I have an awfully lot of unique models to paint, but I ordered up some extra Orcs to use as Black Orcs. Remember, I'm using Thommy's excellent book, which allows the use of Black Orcs.

There's 5 different poses, so I have converted them up a bit for variety. The drummer is actually an archer model.
The Bones material doesn't photograph very well, but I've started to paint one up - which is almost finished.

A closer look at the painted model:

The Bones material is a very nice development for the miniature market, in my opinion. It's very flexible, easy to cut and I don't see any loss of detail. It paints up fine without a primer too. I think it's actually the same material as the schleich toy cow I bought a while ago to turn into a mechanical bull. Of course these Finer Casts means the product has to be more expensive... oh no wait, it's cheap as chips!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 Sept - Black Orcs (Reaper Bones) - Yodrin - 09-06-2013 01:39 PM

Cool models and great painted!!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - JMR - 09-11-2013 02:45 PM

The first Black Orc is done:

I messed up a bit when I varnished him. I got a bit of brownish paint mixed with my varnish. Fortunately I don't think it really shows.

I might do a little more with the weapons, like some chips and scratches. I could also add some blood to them, but I'm not sure if it'd really suit these guys.

Anyways, more to come. Opinions are welcome Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - Yodrin - 09-11-2013 04:34 PM

Smooth; Very nice indeed!!!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - ClawLeader - 09-11-2013 04:50 PM

Serious question, how do you do your scale mail so well? That is comthing I need help with if you don't mind letting me know.

Awesome work by the way, love it. Glad I stumbled upon this

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - JMR - 09-11-2013 05:15 PM

What scale mail do you mean exactly? Something painted or something sculpted? Or do you mean the chain mail on my orcs?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - ClawLeader - 09-11-2013 05:46 PM

The scalemail from your chaos dwarves , such as the bull centaurs, and how you sculpted them.

Sorry for not being clear.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - JMR - 09-11-2013 07:15 PM

For the scale mail I like to start with an even surface, so I trim away unwanted details if required. Then I apply a layer of greenstuff to whereever I want my scale mail to be. I smooth this out using a clay shaper, sometimes with a little olive oil, but water works too. I find it can be troublesome when this layer is too thin, because we'll need to cut into it and be able to press it down slightly. If it's too thin this doesn't work too well. That's why trimming down the base model is important, it allows you to add a sufficiently thick layer of greenstuff.

Once I have a nice and even layer of green stuff I start by making horizontal cuts. Make sure each row is the same size. Once that is done I apply vertical cuts. I start at the top row and move my way down. I try to alternate the scales between each row so they don't sit in one line, but jump half a scale each time. I hope that makes sense. Basically, you want this:

Code:
|_||_||_|
 |_||_||_|

and not this:

Code:
|_||_||_|
|_||_||_|

With all the cutting, all the scales will now be kind of "round" instead of flat. So take your blade and flatten them, again starting at the top and moving your way down. This is also where you make sure it looks like the scales in the bottom row are tugged underneath the ones above it. You do this by gently pressing down on each scale at a slight angle, pressing more on the top of the scale. I tend to push underneath the scale above it a bit. I usually also "drag" the blade back on the scale (towards me) when I do this. It helps when the greenstuff sticks slightly to your tool when you do this, but not too much or you'll pull things apart. So don't moisten your greenstuff too much, but don't use a dry tool either.

All in all it's a little hard to explain in words, but it should be fairly easy to figure out when you look at an example of sculpted mail. I also found it pretty usefull to have to add scales to an already existing sculpt. It forced me to match the original pattern. It was a good learning experience.

Finally, and most importantly; practice and patience. Muck around with it till it looks good. Redefine lines with another cut when needed, flatten a scale again if it looks too round etc.

My first tries at this (and some later tries too Big Grin) ended up with scales standing out far too much or with the size of the scales one one side of a miniature being much smaller than the scales on the other end of the model.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - Bloodbeard - 09-12-2013 04:01 AM

That is a very good tutorial for scalemail, put it in the subforum for conversions too.

One question: How long do you let the greenstuff dry before working on it? I think it's very hard to make details, when the GS is too soft.

Like your black orcs - they are some real brutes! That savage look makes them look like slaves.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Sept - Black Orcs (1st done) - JMR - 09-12-2013 05:40 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
One question: How long do you let the greenstuff dry before working on it? I think it's very hard to make details, when the GS is too soft.

I don't let it cure at all. I dig straight in.
Mind that by the time I'm done fiddling with all the scales, some time has passed though Happy

There's also other materials to use with different properties that can be used for specific jobs. I only have Green Stuff and Milliput White, which I sometimes mix for "harder" details. Milliput responds way differently than Green Stuff does. You could look into other sculpting mediums if you find Green Stuff doesn't fit your needs.

I should say though that I'm far from an experienced sculptor. I've only done a handful (well maybe several handfuls Happy) of conversions/sculpts and my skills don't reach far beyond some scale mail and beards. Luckily those two things make up 90% of a Dawi Zharr Takes Hat off

JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 Sept - Black Orcs (2nd done) - JMR - 09-12-2013 06:14 AM

Orcy no. 2.

I know I showed this guy before, but he's finished now so I've included him for completions sake.
I'm not to keen on the pattern on his blade, but I'd rather spend my time working on the next orc instead of redoing him.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 Sept - Black Orcs (2nd done) - Fuggit Khan - 09-12-2013 11:59 AM

Looking good! I have always loved Orcs with checkerboard paint schemes...reminds me of the good ol' days of checkerboard Black Orcs and Goffs Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 Sept - Black Orcs (2nd done) - Yodrin - 09-12-2013 04:41 PM

As goo as the other!!! Great job!!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 Sept - Black Orcs (2nd done) - Sticklander - 09-12-2013 06:32 PM

Your originality and general creativity has really inspired me! Big Grin

Hope you don't mind if I borrow your hobgoblin idea! Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - JMR - 12-11-2013 12:46 PM

Hey everyone. Here's my entry for Golden Hat 20. Can't believe I made 2nd place with it!

It represents a Chaos Dwarf Overlord riding a Lamassu who is a level 3 sorcerer with the Lore of Death. The Overlord's weapon has Flaming Attacks thanks to his Amulet of Azgorh. That's all using Thommy's book.

The model itself isn't really anything particularly original. Xander, and others, have also used a Manticore's body to turn into a Lamassu, but I have added the "flaming" wings from the High Elf Phoenix kit instead of leathery wings.
I tried to make the wings look "lore of deathey", which is why they are purple. I realise purple is a bit of an outlandish colour for Dawi Zharr, and I struggled with it a bit myself, but in the end I'm happy with it.
Funnily enough the light plays tricks with the colour of the wings, under normal daylight the wings are a dark, blue-ish purple, but when viewed under my desklamp it's much, much pinker in colour.

The model has been made in two weeks total, so I had to rush it a bit. In hindsight I would've liked to change the Lamassu's right arm to a more natural position and maybe add another bracelet. I'm really happy with the addition of the jewellery on his other arm; I feel it gives the front half of the model some more ...sophistication and a sign of intellect while the back half is more bestial.
The other thing I would've liked to change, in hindsight, is the rider. I would've liked to give it a little bit more "oomph" and distinguish him more as a lord. He looks too much like my regular troopers as is.

The rider is magnetised and completely removable in case I want to redo him or in case I want to field my Lamassu ridden by a Sorcerer Lord.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - azhagmorglum - 12-11-2013 03:19 PM

Only second place? This model is pure awesomeness ! Love the OSL from the axe

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - Skink - 12-11-2013 03:37 PM

I voted for you! The painting is so smooth. You used an airbrush didn't  you?  I'd love to know how you converted the rider.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - JMR - 12-11-2013 04:29 PM

Yep, airbrush-a-go-go!

The rider is one of Baggronor's Royal Guard models, the one in the center.

He's been cut in half and had his arms chopped off. I then replaced his right hand with a weapon+hand from Russian Alternative's models and lengthened the haft of the weapon by using a bit left over from cutting apart the original model. The weapon's blade was big enough to count as a two-handed weapon, so that was all that was required.

The bottom half is fully self-sculpted, including the saddle. The model's cloak was cut in half along with the rest of the model, but was then restored to billow in the wind.

His left arm was simply repositioned after the cut and then got the chains attached. I'm not happy with how he holds the chains, but I was really running out of time by then! The chains are actually not attached to the Lamassu, but hidden behind the horns so you can't really see. This allows the rider, with saddle and chains, to be removed and magnetised.

Of course there's some green stuff used to hide where I made the cuts.

I think that's about it!

I voted for your entry in return, Skink! Very awesome painting on that unit. There's no way I could manage to give that much attention to a whole unit, not to mention them all being the same model! I feel the plastic big hats are mediocre models at best, but your painting pulled them right into the awesome-zone.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - Yodrin - 12-11-2013 04:48 PM

Thats an awesome model with an awesome paint job, great work!!!!!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - Admiral - 12-11-2013 07:47 PM

Perfect painting, great use of head, body, Phoenix wings and Russian Alternative axe. Bonus points for mounting a Titan Wargames Dwarf on the Lammasu. Your entry had my vote.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - Goltor Lintrepide - 12-12-2013 01:02 AM

Everything on this model look awesome, a pure chef-d'oeuvre.
The only imperfection I could find is that right foot being à little weird all flat on that branch, but it's really the only thing!
Good work, your entry was my favorite!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - Bassman - 12-12-2013 07:31 AM

Awesome entry and one of my favorite. You got my vote!
I love your blue beards Big Grin

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassu - JMR - 12-12-2013 12:03 PM

Yawarakaimatsuka Wrote:
The only imperfection I could find is that right foot being à little weird all flat on that branch, but it's really the only thing!

Absolutely true! I wanted to make it look like he pushed off against the tree, mid-flight. Unfortunately I drilled out the branch wrong for pinning and I didn't really have time to redo it. Ideally I would've liked to have him flying completely free, with a resculpted right foot, but I didn't know how to attach it to the base in an elegant (and sturdy enough) way.

You know though, Golden Hat works great for me. I've been in the hobby for around 10 years and the amount of models in my collection that are truly 100% finished can be counted on one hand. Most are thanks to GH. Being forced to cut some corners and get things done in time seems to be the only way to get me to finish stuff Tongue

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Bassman Wrote:
I love your blue beards Big Grin

Blue-beard-high-five!

JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 06-21-2014 01:58 PM

Happy new year everyone!....  errr yeah, apparently this is the first update this year. 2014 only just started, right?....

Anyway, Thommy's new book spurred me to start some scratchbuilding. I'm working on an Altar of Hashut.

Like any proper Dawi Zharr construct, it all starts with a couple of slaves...

They'll be bound together using chains. The altar itself will contain a pool of lava, mostly because it's a good excuse to do some object source lightning when it comes time to paint the thing.
My main inspiration is a conversion done by Baggronor (I think?).

Let's see how far I can get with this thing.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Admiral - 06-21-2014 02:29 PM

Excellent start. A Chaos Dwarf army without slave miniatures toiling in backbreaking work isn't a proper CD collection. Wink

Just be sure to cut down the hard edges of the round Mantic bases and fill with modelling putty around them, because they'll stand out too much otherwise.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 06-21-2014 06:14 PM

So I've been happily working on a rough shape for my altar using some foam.

For those not familliar with the Altar of Hashut, it's a "mount" for a Sorcerer Lord or Pyrophant, dragged along by a bunch of wretched slaves and crewed by 2 Acolytes of Hashut.

Here's the rough shape I came up with:

The hexacon shape is the base for a pool of molten lava. I imagined the character standing behind/above the pool, with the two acolytes standing somewhere up on the front of the altar.

Then I remembered I have this fire elemental from Reaper. Here's a painted example:

(Not mine, obviously.)

So I figured it'd be cool to have that emerging from the pool of lava. The problem is that the altar gets crowded rather quickly:

The dwarves are just random models I had lying nearby on my desk.

So I am now considering going with a larger base after all, 100x150. This gives me a lot more room to play around with.

What do you think? Should I go with a (much) larger altar or go with 60x100? And if I should go for the smaller option, do you think the fire elemental fits, or is it too large?

If I go for the bigger base, I could opt to add wheels and have the slaves in front of the altar pushing it onwards. I would also make the altar itself less broad.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Thommy H - 06-21-2014 06:22 PM

I think the larger altar is a bit much for those slaves! Stick with the original plan and use the fire elemental for something else, I say.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - torn - 06-22-2014 01:16 AM

Very cool idea can't wait to see how it turns out.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Admiral - 06-22-2014 02:24 AM

Cool! Go for the small altar. Except for carriage burden for the slaves (there's probably some Daemon forged into it helping it levitate a bit) the big version somehow reminds me of a lazy pool deck on a cruise ship.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Bloodbeard - 06-22-2014 04:40 AM

Great altar.

I say make the small one. But put the cool fire elemental on it. I think it fits okay! The fire elemental doesn't weight anything. But a bigger altar would require some more slaves. Trolls or spawns.

Do an insert base for it. So it can be extended to 100x150. It would work good for a destroyer - being summoned scene.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 06-22-2014 04:42 AM

Admiral Wrote:
... the big version somehow reminds me of a lazy pool deck on a cruise ship.

Haha! That's exactly what I was going for! I'll add some stretchers and sun screens.

In all seriousness, I know the slaves look too weedy to carry the big thing. I'd have to add more. Or wheels.

After your advice, and a good night's sleep, I think I'll go with the original plan. And if I do go bigger, it'd only be slightly bigger.

I need to figure out some way to do the back side though. It needs some height there. The fire elemental...err.. I mean, summoned K'daai(!) does add this. Baggronor used a statue standing behind his altar. You see the same kind of thing on the Cauldron of Blood. I'll have to do some tinkering.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Ben Saunders - 06-22-2014 06:13 AM

I also say the small altar looks better. I don't think being crowded is a problem, though you could free up some space if you were to say that the fire elemental counts as one or both of the acolytes.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - tjub - 06-22-2014 10:53 AM

Jupp, have to agree with the others here... Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Thommy H - 06-22-2014 12:31 PM

Pedantic note about the elemental/K'daai: although the Altar does summon up daemons, etc., the centrepiece of the dais should be the device used to sacrifice the slaves. If there's a pool of glowing lava, victims should be getting thrown into it rather than spirits being summoned from it. The Altar is for killing, the daemons then gravitate to it, swirling around it in the air as the Sorcerer and Acolytes sing their Dirges. So I'd leave it off, personally.

I mean, you can interpret it however you want, but that's what I had in mind when I wrote the rules and background!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 06-22-2014 03:56 PM

Thommy H Wrote:
... the daemons then gravitate to it, swirling around it in the air as the Sorcerer and Acolytes sing their Dirges.

That gives me an idea.... stay tuned!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Fuggit Khan - 06-23-2014 01:56 PM

I'm going to join the consensus that the smaller altar works better...a smaller altar also lends better to being a pretty cool unit filler too.
And I agree with Bloodbeard...I like the fire elemental size for the altar. But whichever direction you choose, I'm sure based on your past experience of your modeling talents, that this will be a very cool model once all finished Cheers!

Really looking forward to watching the progress on this, I'm glad you shared this with all of us Takes Hat off

JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 06-26-2014 09:17 AM

Progress continues on the Altar of Hashut. I have encased the main body in cheap plasticard. I've built up the sacrificial pool of lava a bit more.

On the backside I've added the rough shape of two pillars. Last Golden Hat I won two classic chaos dwarf warriors (thanks Fuggit!), which I figured would be cool to use as ancient statues.
Although my army is mostly made up out of models with "modern" helmets instead of bighats, I do enjoy reaching back to the classic models. For example, I want my Sorcerer Lords and Bull Centaurs to have a more traditional dress-code: bighats.
I do feel a bit bad about using these models as mere statues, but on the other hand I feel it's a nice tribute to that era.

Here's where the Altar currently stands:

The front two miniatures are still just random stand-ins. The character in the back is a russian-alternative model which I intend to use as a Sorcerer Lord. I think I'd prefer to field the altar with a Pyrophant instead, so I'll look into making the characters swappable.

Thommy's comment made me quickly sculpt up some minor K'daai to circle the altar. They probably need a second pass of green-stuff:

What do you think?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Chaosftw - 06-26-2014 09:43 AM

I like them a lot! I think they will certainly add another dimension to the piece. I don't think they need "a second pass of green stuff" though, they look pretty good. If there was any area that maybe could be added to it would be at the head as it seems a little bare.

regardless the project is coming along quite nice!

Cheers,
Chaosftw

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Helblindi - 06-26-2014 10:01 AM

I agree, the K'daai are looking great, and so is the altar. Now I too feel like hunting down some oldschool dwarf and CD models to use as statues Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Fuggit Khan - 06-26-2014 01:35 PM

JMR Wrote:
Last Golden Hat I won two classic chaos dwarf warriors (thanks Fuggit!), which I figured would be cool to use as ancient statues.
I do feel a bit bad about using these models as mere statues, but on the other hand I feel it's a nice tribute to that era.

What do you think?

I think it's wonderful Cheers!
I'm very happy to see some of my old Big Hat warriors being used in such a cool model...I agree that it's a nice tribute to the 4th edition era.
Excellent work so far!  Takes Hat off

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - GDD - 06-26-2014 01:49 PM

Put a bulls head with a chain beard on the front! And then chain up the slaves in the beard Cheers!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Thommy H - 06-26-2014 05:14 PM

Great stuff! Can't wait to see the finished version!

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Yodrin - 06-27-2014 02:10 AM

Great stuff, LF to seeing some paint on those..!! Wink

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Admiral - 06-27-2014 03:04 AM

Wow, great progress! Everything from layout to WIP K'daai whirlers is very nice. If you manage to add convincing OSL effects from the fire spirits whirling around the altar you'll have a real killer of a killer.

How about adding rivetted iron "bands" of Chaos star spear shapes onto the stone pillars facing the flank of the platform? Or shackles and chains between the slaves' feet in order to create two chain gangs?

I see the pool deck idea wasn't entirely discarded. It looks like a comfy Daemon jacuzzi there. Wink

Will you add something more to the pool or the platform, like runes or trophies on the sides of it? If you're feeling adventurous you could even try your hand at some fresque scenes like those seen on the FW Bull Centaurs' armour. Bonus points for making the pool an octagon shape. Thommy will have to include pictures of this altar in the updated army book.

It's about time this log got the stars it deserves.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 06-27-2014 05:37 AM

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I am absolutely going to include OSL effects. I'm looking for good opportunities to add OSL while building this thing all the time. Hopefully I can add them convincingly without completely overwhelming the model.

I'm also going to add various detailing to the altar itself. I'm thinking some kind of face (possibly a bull's) on the ramp at the front.
The sides of the altar will have a simple decoration.
The pillars will get some sort of emblem too. I think I'll have to stea....draw some inspiration from Skink's designs or from some old banner designs.
Chains on slaves are definitely in too. I just hope I have enough chains left...
For the "floor" of the altar I'm thinking large obsidian/black marble tiles.
I have tried frescoes before, but that wasn't such a success.

@Admiral What a lovely picture! Did you just quickly draw that up?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Admiral - 06-27-2014 07:22 AM

Then you have it all figured out! If you'd like to write an article for WoH about your building project for the Altar, you're more than welcome. Cheers!

JMR Wrote:
@Admiral What a lovely picture! Did you just quickly draw that up?

Yup, I call it Zharr-Günther at the pool party.

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 10-12-2017 09:41 AM

I've replaced a bunch of my pictures, using imgur instead. I'm working my way backwards, from the last page to the front. Maybe my old things will be of inspiration to someone Happy

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - tjub - 10-12-2017 11:34 AM

JMR Wrote:
I've replaced a bunch of my pictures, using imgur instead. I'm working my way backwards, from the last page to the front. Maybe my old things will be of inspiration to someone Happy

Yay, good to see that you are back! Any new projects going on?

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - JMR - 10-12-2017 01:54 PM

tjub Wrote:
Yay, good to see that you are back! Any new projects going on?

Not so much, to be honest. I've spent my hobby time crafting things for D&D (I was the GM). That was pretty fun to do.

I've also done a bit of mucking around with Song of Blades and Heroes. A nice and simple skirmish game. I highly recommend it. It's core rules are simple enough that I consider trying it out with my 6-year old nephew. At the same time, when you add all the extra "special rules" that you can buy for your models, it becomes an interesting game to play. Quick to play, small game area needed, limited amount of models and you can drink a beer while playing it. Pretty good.
I did use a Chaos Dwarf warband for this, but I didn't paint it up fully. I might go do that one of these days.

I have been getting the modeling-itch again, but I'm not sure I can handle painting 40 rank and file soldiers anymore Shock

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut - Carcearion - 10-12-2017 03:08 PM

Love your conversions and scratch builds, They look amazing! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff uncovered! Cheers!

JMR Wrote:
I have been getting the modeling-itch again, but I'm not sure I can handle painting 40 rank and file soldiers anymore Shock

You could also just weigh in on a few contests, or you could switch to Kings of War! Tongue Wink Multi-basing not only means less miniatures to paint but its a ton of fun to really set up a scene