CDO Forums
Golden Hat XX - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Golden Hat XX (/showthread.php?tid=13598)

Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-03-2013 02:14 AM

The Russian Alternative Presents: The 20th Golden Hat modeling and painting competition!

We are pleased to announce that this Golden Hat has been sponsored by The Russian Alternative!  They have offered up prizes for contestants placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd!

The Russian Alternative Wrote:
We are very happy to say that we would love to take part in this contest! We are prepared to provide sets of our Dwarves of Fire Canyon models (Dwarf+Unit+Command Group) for all three prize places!

That sounds awesome to me!  Each winner will receive a unit of Dwarfs of Fire Canyon, a command unit and the Dwarf of Fire Canyon hero - that's 14 of these fantastically sculpted multi-part metal models to each winner!! Did we also mention that our very own Rozmax is the sculptor? No?! Well more of his work can be found here.  Of course if you can't wait for the end of the contest to get your hands on some of these models you can always get a head start over at http://russian-alternative.ru/.

In addition, we'd like to have some random-draw giveaways so that any participant will have a chance to win a prize.  If you want to contribute a prize, you must be willing to pay for the shipping to send it to a fellow member.

Subject Matter
How powerful/amazing/frightening/inventive/fantastic Chaos Dwarfs are!

The challenge for Golden Hat #20 is to give your creativity and skills free reign while showing off just how cool Chaos Dwarfs can be! That's it. Think of the coolest thing(s) you can paint and go with it.  
(The only catch is that it must be a model or models and can't be an art painting or life-size cardboard fort in your living room that you've painted up and moved into for the duration of the competition.)

The entry an be anything you like.  It may be a single model of any size, it may be two models locked in a duel, it may be a unit, multiple units, one or more warmachines, a whole Chaos Dwarf outpost, city, shipyard, an entire army on a display board, anything - as long as it is painted.  Your entry need not be limited to a literal "Chaos Dwarf" piece either, and any reasonable 'slave' model(s) can be entered as well.  You can convert or model your own figure(s), or use any existing model(s) from any miniatures range. Just make sure it is fully painted and hasn't been shown in its completed state before (although WIP shots of any conversion or modeling work are welcome in the submission photos).

Basing
The choice is unrestricted this time, so you may choose to go with a diorama style, a plinth, or any other sort of base - or no base at all.

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

When is the deadline?
We are going with the same deadline as previous Golden Hats; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM Nov 30th, 2013 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have around 8 weeks to complete your entry)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff before the deadline. In order to avoid problems, we strongly advise entrants not wait until the very last minute to submit their entries... As things can and do go wrong at the last minute. Please do not send entries to individual Admin or Staff members to submit on your behalf as they may not check their PMs!

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the internet.  Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Take your place in the Golden Hat Hall of Fame, where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona *
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 40 people enter we award 40 slaves to each person who entered.
- If you place in the top 3, you'll win a prize, courtesy of The Russian Alternative.

*= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the Silver and Bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

Entries will count towards a veteran medal.

As usual once all entries are received a voting thread will be created. If there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Summary:
Subject Matter:  Create anything you like that will showcase just how great Chaos Dwarfs can be!
Due Date: 11:59 PM Nov 30th, 2013 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

If any forum members would like to help "up the ante" by donating models or other materials as prizes, feel free to contact myself or one of the Staff to help sort out the details.

I myself will be donating a bag of Warhammer Fantasy bits to one random entrant, and I'll make sure it is a good pile of stuff too!

That's it, so get those slaves back to the forges and salt mines and let's have a record-setting number of entries for GHXX!!
~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Zanko - 10-03-2013 02:57 AM

Congraz to all involved staff members! Takes Hat off

Great work (as usual) and esp. the new banner and the finding of a sponsor are awesome! Cheers!

Like always ... haste makes waste! Wink

Now I have to make my choice what I will build and paint! Unsure

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XX - furrie - 10-03-2013 03:00 AM

This is a great theme, I can't wait to see the entries

RE: Golden Hat XX - clam - 10-03-2013 03:24 AM

Theme? - you can hardly call it that, can you? Big Grin This here, is probably as close to an "open theme" we'll ever get Happy

Thank you so much Big Grin

Really looking forward seein all the big creatures and the machine parks Happy

RE: Golden Hat XX - Yodrin - 10-03-2013 03:30 AM

Wow, cool!! And fantastic prices as well!!! I think I might have a go at thisWink

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 10-03-2013 04:02 AM

Insane! So many ideas.

High Lord Sorcerer Messiah on shield carried by steampowered Dawi Zharr? Chaos Dwarf Siege Airship of Armageddon? The whole tower city of Zharr-Naggrund? Hashut?!

It's gonna be epic!

WIP shots of conversion work is okay on my blog? Or should I keep it all completly secret?

RE: Golden Hat XX - G.2 - 10-03-2013 05:16 AM

I have two ideas for this comp. I am going to have to pick one and do it. Oh my...I will have to just gather my thoughts, and maybe even create some sort of timeline to follow, so I don't run out of time.

I'm really looking forward to see what everyone creates.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Willmark - 10-03-2013 08:14 AM

Hopefully everyone will be pleased with this one...

RE: Golden Hat XX - bas_2312 - 10-03-2013 08:56 AM

Ooph.. It's going to be hard to figure out what model to use for this, but I'm looking forward to the progress! Happy

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 10-03-2013 10:22 AM

When seeing it was so open, I had no idea what to do, but inspiration has seeped into my brain...

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-03-2013 11:06 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
WIP shots of conversion work is okay on my blog? Or should I keep it all completly secret?

It is OK if they've already been posted to your blog, but generally from this point forward it should not be shown until after the competition has closed and results posted. This is partly to keep entries and entrants secret until the creators are revealed at the end of the competition.  Even if you make something amazing you're opening up your entry to early criticism, and the Internet being what it is, even a couple of people who may have voted for you might vote otherwise if they saw your WIP and then subconsciously think that you didn't complete it or paint it as well as they imagined.

G.2 Wrote:
maybe even create some sort of timeline to follow, so I don't run out of time.

So I put together a timeline last night. It's funny how tasks expand to fill the time you have.  Even making week-long task specific blocks through the entire 8 weeks I'm still unsure of how I'm going to finish what I want to make in time... let alone have time for real work or training.

Here's hoping I can actually finish this time! My track record over the past two years is not good Tongue

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Pyro Stick - 10-03-2013 11:35 AM

This is a cool theme and im sure it will attract some of the best entries we have seen in a while but i think ill have to skip this one. The only thing ive got left to paint are a few models to finish up my last few units which leaves me with my whole army as an entry lol.

RE: Golden Hat XX - gIL^ - 10-03-2013 12:20 PM

IM IN!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 10-03-2013 02:02 PM

Oh, this is going to be good, what an incredibly cool idea to give a 'blank check' to everybody's creativity  Shock

RE: Golden Hat XX - Grimstonefire - 10-03-2013 05:12 PM

I'm definitely in this one.

I know I often say that, but I'm sick of painting rank and file and need something cool to do. Happy

I have just the project in mind as well...

RE: Golden Hat XX - Abecedar - 10-04-2013 07:30 AM

Righty oh then off to work we go... But I think I'll have trouble keeping the penchant for creating unobtainable grandiose ideas under control

RE: Golden Hat XX - Willmark - 10-04-2013 08:32 AM

I might actually enter. It will be my first entry since GH VI. 8)

RE: Golden Hat XX - Skink - 10-04-2013 04:08 PM

Sweet! I'm in! Supercool banner Nico, really really love it!!!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Goltor Lintrepide - 10-04-2013 05:21 PM

I'm in, but man... what am I gonna do?

RE: Golden Hat XX - Xander - 10-04-2013 07:58 PM

Yawarakaimatsuka Wrote:
I'm in, but man... what am I gonna do?

This.

I'll have to come up with something once I am back from Italy. I'm in the airport now. Starting my vacation in Rome!

RE: Golden Hat XX - ClawLeader - 10-05-2013 12:01 AM

I'll bite.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-05-2013 02:40 PM

I went out this morning to stock up on hobby supplies, only to fine out that sheets of plastic and rods and tubing and everything else like that I need for making models aren't stocked anywhere in the city anymore!! Nuts!! I found one boardgame store that stocked very small bags of assorted thickness sheets of white plastic from Galeforce Nine, but they're too small for what I need.... I bought 'em anyway as I'll use them eventually, but the city here has no more materials for scratch building things out of styrene. If I cant get materials within the next few weeks I'm going to be hard pressed to get what I want to make finished in time! Argh

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - zobo1942 - 10-05-2013 03:03 PM

Would going to the hardware store and picking up a smooth plastic light diffusion panel work?

RE: Golden Hat XX - Forgefire - 10-05-2013 04:28 PM

Darn it! I want to draw something Happy!

RE: Golden Hat XX - ClawLeader - 10-06-2013 12:01 AM

Nicodemus, chill out! I'm just going to post pics of a carnifex I used as a proxy lammasu. You'll beat me out!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Zanko - 10-06-2013 01:56 PM

The planning stage is finished and today I begun with the preliminary work!

I hope it will look as good as I intended Unsure ... I will see!

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XX - DAGabriel - 10-06-2013 02:41 PM

Plan is ready and put the first paint on. But have to do some building betwixt the painting.

RE: Golden Hat XX - gIL^ - 10-06-2013 07:34 PM

"it may be a unit, multiple units, one or more warmachines,"

Does this mean you could enter an entire army if it hasn't been seen before?

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-06-2013 08:35 PM

gIL^ Wrote:

For sure!

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - gIL^ - 10-06-2013 09:07 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:

gIL^ Wrote:

For sure!

~N

Ive got work to do!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Tarrakk Blackhand - 10-07-2013 12:50 AM

Hi Nich!

Sounds like this will be a good contest. I haven't entered a Golden Hat in a few years now, but since my army was wiped out by the High River Flood of 2013, and since a lot of people here donated new CD figures to me after that, I think I will paint up one of the models and try and enter it into this GH. - sort of a "Come Back" piece.

The model I have in mind is a small one, so I'm sure that the other members who are considering painting up a custom made Forgeworld Chaos Dwarf Steam Train (Or insert ridicously awesome model here) will probably overshadow my attempts, but I will still try my best. I also haven't won a GH yet either, so I take my chances.

I would like to thank the sponsor for donating such awesome models. I sure would like one, but don't have the money or skills to win one. However, it is well worth the effort to try.

Since the flood, I have to think about doing something involving models again. I also need to check my remaining paint supply...but doing a GH might be a good step for the "Healing/Rebuilding" process. Wish me luck guys!

Count me in!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-07-2013 01:51 AM

gIL^ Wrote:
Ive got work to do!

LOL. Oh my!! I can't wait to see what the entries for this one are going to look like!

On a related note, we have allowed members to submit entries for things that have been shown as WIPs before the contests are announced, as we realize that members could have started modeling something and then realized after the contest is announced that their creation would suit the contest.  So, certainly anyone should feel free to enter things they've shown off previously in the blog or the conversions sections, as long as they weren't painted and shown off in some sort of 'finished' state.  

As stated in an earlier post in this thread as well, once the contest starts it's best to avoid posting your progress on your entry until after winners are announced... so some of you may notice some blogs slow to a crawl or fall silent for the next few weeks Wink

Nuts, what am I doing posting... I've got GHXX work to do!! Tongue
~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Zanko - 10-07-2013 02:12 AM

Tarrakk Blackhand Wrote:
Count me in!

Good that you are back! Takes Hat off

I'm eager to see your entry and also your regrowing CD force! Cheers!

I wish you luck in the GHXX! Happy

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Kamphre - 10-07-2013 04:54 AM

Nicodemus Wrote:
Nuts, what am I doing posting... I've got GHXX work to do!! Tongue

You should have a handicap (like in golf) to allow others a chance! Finding plastic card is the first one. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XX - Skink - 10-07-2013 05:09 AM

Tarrakk Blackhand Wrote:
Hi Nich!

Sounds like this will be a good contest. I haven't entered a Golden Hat in a few years now, but since my army was wiped out by the High River Flood of 2013, and since a lot of people here donated new CD figures to me after that, I think I will paint up one of the models and try and enter it into this GH. - sort of a "Come Back" piece.

Nice to see you are back into business buddy. Looking forward to see your entry!!!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Admiral - 10-07-2013 06:17 AM

I'm in. We'll see if the planned little Ogre-base diorama receives any votes at all, but it'll probably get a good laugh or two if the result corresponds to the plan.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 10-08-2013 02:25 PM

Cycled 7 miles to the nearest town, and then another 6 miles to the next town, and another 10 miles back home to get all the supplies I need today!

Time to get the ball rolling!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Admiral - 10-08-2013 02:37 PM

Sticklander Wrote:
Cycled 7 miles to the nearest town, and then another 6 miles to the next town, and another 10 miles back home to get all the supplies I need today!

I bet Hashut is pleased by your dedication, but you should've ridden a bull.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 10-08-2013 03:44 PM

Admiral Wrote:

Sticklander Wrote:

I bet Hashut is pleased by your dedication, but you should've ridden a bull.

There are plenty around 'ere, but I don't know how pleased it would have been with my presence, especially on it's back.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 10-09-2013 01:02 PM

Sticklander Wrote:

Wow, I'm giving you a well deserved slave for that...if ever someone deserved a slave in recognition of their contribution to Chaos Dwarfs, this is it Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 10-09-2013 05:23 PM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:

Sticklander Wrote:

Wow, I'm giving you a well deserved slave for that...if ever someone deserved a slave in recognition of their contribution to Chaos Dwarfs, this is it Takes Hat off

Thanking you kindly, but I'm hoping my entry will win many a slave for the Bloodbeard's horde! Wink

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 10-13-2013 03:55 AM

Just finished building, painting and pimping the base of my entry. I figured building from the base up would let the sky by the limit!

RE: Golden Hat XX - tjub - 10-13-2013 03:35 PM

Just sent the slaves over to start the construction...

RE: Golden Hat XX - Grimstonefire - 10-13-2013 04:25 PM

Been working for a week on mine now and still no end in sight.  Still, I am making progress on something that otherwise would have sat unfinished so I'm pleased.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 10-14-2013 05:05 AM

I'm painting the models first, as Hashut knows that will take me the longest!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-15-2013 04:47 AM

So I've got a lead on some plasticard sheets here in town and had them special order me some, so so far so good!  I started a little project mid-September and decided a few days in to the GH contest to make it the focus of my entry (mostly because it was the best idea I had and I had already made sketches etc.).  Seeing as my last few attempts have missed the deadline due to inability to complete my entries, I'm determined to submit something this time.  The trouble is, I rapidly expanded the size and complexity and despite making up what I thought was a generous timeline for working on various aspects of it I'm already several days behind schedule. All this talk of people painting stuff, etc??!?  Yikes, I'm weeks away at best... probably more like a month away.  I keep finding more things to elaborate on and make more detailed. I find myself really questioning whether this is because I'm creative and a perfectionist or if there's something deeper going on, like I'm trying to find excuses not to finish in a timely fashion so that I won't be publicly judged during the voting and can just live in my own world thinking 'yeah, I just didn't get it finished because it was being made more awesome'.  Hmm.

Anyway, my wife bought me a Paasche Talon airbrush and Paasche DC600R compressor (it's quieter so that I can run it at night while the kids sleep directly above where I have my hobby table) for Xmas and has given it to me early, but I've never used one before and am really leery about painting up my GHXX entry as a noob airbrush painter.  What I really need are some quick tips about the basics and how not to screw up.  I'm sure it'll be better than painting everything freehand, but only if I don't screw up Tongue  Anyway, the massive box is sitting up in our sun room unopened. I know if I get into that thing now I'll be wrapped up in testing and playing around with it for the next week and won't be getting any of my entry completed!

Hmm, need more slaves!
~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bolg - 10-15-2013 05:08 AM

Good luck with the Air brush.

I've shelved 2 ideas already both converted heroes. I need to think bigger... wow deciding what to do for this GH is tricky.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-17-2013 05:50 PM

So by my estimate we have 23 people planning to submit something for GHXX. Even if a few people don't finish or change their mind, we always have a healthy number of surprise entries from lurkers Wink  If all goes well we'll likely have 25 entries minimum this time around.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Ravenswood - 10-17-2013 06:53 PM

Sad-sad-sad(((((
I spotted this thread only now, after revealing my Bezhuk(

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-22-2013 12:47 PM

How's everyone's progress coming along?  I've been putting in ~4-5 hours a night almost every night since the announcement and have been adjusting my plans and scaling back expectations accordingly as the days continue to tick by.  As you guys know from my blog... I'm a bit slow and it takes me a while to get anything done!!

@ravenswood - why not just sculpt something new and wonderful to amaze us!?  You've got some real skills there!

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Zanko - 10-22-2013 01:16 PM

There is a very slow progress in my efforts ... my spare time is limited! Mad

But I hope that in 2 weeks (at the weekend there is the SPIEL here in Essen and friends of mine will come from northern Germany) there will come a much more restful time! Happy

@ Ravenswood: Awesome miniature! Takes Hat off  I ordered one last weekend! Wink

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 10-22-2013 01:41 PM

My progress is coming along at a pitifully slow rate...I've already changed directions with it 3 times. Last night I came up with an idea that I think will finally work (hopefully).
I think I can make the deadline...I just need to prioritize my free time better...

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-22-2013 01:47 PM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
I think I can make the deadline...I just need to prioritize my free time better...

LOL, after watching the entire Horatio Hornblower series as well as the Robin of Sherwood series and the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies plus a few others I've started turning Netflix and the TV off so I'm not distracted Tongue

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 10-22-2013 03:26 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
LOL, after watching the entire Horatio Hornblower series as well as the Robin of Sherwood series and the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies plus a few others I've started turning Netflix and the TV off so I'm not distracted Tongue

Hmmm...I'm seeing a pattern of epic seafaring tales here, which is funny because my distraction lately has been watching the WW2 'Victory at Sea' series. I guess we're both in the same boat (bad pun).
But the episode of the battles at Rabaul in the South Pacific did give me my final idea/inspiration for my Golden Hat XX entry Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Ravenswood - 10-23-2013 06:21 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
@ravenswood - why not just sculpt something new and wonderful to amaze us!?  

Just because I am not a sculptor Wink but I try to paint something.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Willmark - 10-24-2013 08:34 AM

Ravenswood is entering? I guess there goes my chance of winning! Wink

RE: Golden Hat XX - Yodrin - 10-24-2013 04:31 PM

Willmark Wrote:
Ravenswood is entering? I guess there goes my chance of winning! Wink

That goes for the most of usWink - he is a champ!!! Happy

RE: Golden Hat XX - ClawLeader - 10-24-2013 07:25 PM

I haven't even started...

RE: Golden Hat XX - tjub - 10-25-2013 12:19 AM

Better build something to match his painting then... Happy

RE: Golden Hat XX - ClawLeader - 10-25-2013 05:42 AM

I got something up my beard

RE: Golden Hat XX - Skink - 10-25-2013 04:15 PM

I'm working furiously on my entry. In fact, I think I will be done before the end of the month. Hopefully...

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bolg - 10-25-2013 09:34 PM

My humble entry is almost finished (well the model not the paint job) but I have to look at the rules again if I can do a background.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-27-2013 11:22 AM

Bolg Wrote:
My humble entry is almost finished (well the model not the paint job) but I have to look at the rules again if I can do a background.

For this one especially, I don't see why not! I think people will still be influenced by the paint job on the model(s) more-so than anything when they vote, but if you want to stage things a little that's fine for this GH.

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Skink - 10-29-2013 03:59 PM

I'm almost done. Just a couple more things to be painted and then the base. Trying to do this has been a pain the rear, I am not going to do anything similar again in the future, despite the fact that I like the result.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 10-31-2013 01:43 AM

Here's an update on what I've tossed in to the random mix of bitz that will be given away to a random entrant:

There's all sorts of goodies in there. What you can't see: Some random Gnoblars carrying stuff, an old plastic Chaos Dwarf Warrior (sans Hat, but it's a clean cut above the eyebrows), Empire Flagellant arms, Dwarf Warrior/Quarreler arms and standards and all kinds of other random riff raff. Anything else I spot between now and when it gets mailed to the winner I'll toss it into the pile!  Something tells me I have a ton of Genestealers on sprues some place, but darned if I can find 'em!!

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bolg - 10-31-2013 01:49 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:

For this one especially, I don't see why not! I think people will still be influenced by the paint job on the model(s) more-so than anything when they vote, but if you want to stage things a little that's fine for this GH.

~N

Oeeh good news! Now my entry is going to be very nerdy indeed!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 10-31-2013 01:53 PM

I've startet getting up an hour earlier every day, in order to have a fighting chance.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Admiral - 11-05-2013 04:26 AM

Interesting convergence of busy projects at home. I might not participate in this contest after all, but my brother's concepts was so good that they'll have to see life as unit fillers anyway. Best of luck, ladies and gentlemen!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Willmark - 11-05-2013 09:09 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
I've startet getting up an hour earlier every day, in order to have a fighting chance.

I'm in the same boat and may have to do this. I'm motivated to engage in warhammer but not do much for chais dwarfs.

Despite this I have a lot done but need the motivation to finish.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 11-08-2013 03:22 PM

Oh, crap!! Still creating... Blech!  

I haven't really stopped since the start of GHXX and have been doing something related to my entry every day. I'm down to all the fiddly little details and leftover odds and ends that I wasn't sure how to do, and they're requiring some original thought (which takes time!!).  Originally I was going to have loads more stuff to go into this entry but I'm still slashing it back in size and scope as I'm now more than 3 weeks past what I gave myself for just my main entry piece... and I'm still not done.

Looking at the timeline I drafted I was even supposed to start painting over a week ago. BRUTAL!!   Tongue

With 5 weeks down and ~4 weeks left, how's everyone else doing with their entries?
~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 11-08-2013 05:29 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
With 5 weeks down and ~4 weeks left, how's everyone else doing with their entries?
~N

Slow going for me...unfortunately I've had to change directions with it once again, each time going for something less 'grand' than what I would like to do, because the pragmatic reality of my slow work speed is in stark contrast to my original idea's Sad
I'm taking a couple of days off from work next week to solely get caught up with my entry...

RE: Golden Hat XX - Zanko - 11-08-2013 06:28 PM

Still waiting for ordered stuff from Ramshackle Games ... Mad

I ordered nearly 5 weeks ago and it is still not here yet! Sad

Despite this ... work is going on very slowly ... I hope I will finish my entry since the deadline!

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XX - ClawLeader - 11-08-2013 06:32 PM

I've already started, soon my slaves. Soon.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Abecedar - 11-08-2013 08:09 PM

Almost completed the painting now. Keep looking at what little details I could add or make better and I just know I'll stuff it up if I proceed any further.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 11-09-2013 03:30 AM

Nicodemus Wrote:
~N

Slow and steady. Fortunately I used most of last sunday on the project, got me a long way.

I'm trying a new aproach. I build small parts, paint them completely and them add them to the base. I'ts nice to see a model rise towards completion that way. ... But there's still a long way to the top.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Grimstonefire - 11-09-2013 05:46 AM

I've made decent progress so far, over half way through assembly.  Painting should be a lot quicker.

RE: Golden Hat XX - JMR - 11-14-2013 12:25 PM

I've received my conversion bits yesterday. No idea if I can finish it in time!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 11-19-2013 11:50 AM

Holy Hanna, this is insane!!! The slaves working in my forge on the GHXX project have been worked to death. Most of them are dead now, and the few that remain are too exhausted to work quickly.  Damn their weak flesh.

I'm very happy with the project so far (aside from the time it has taken to make it), but good lord... what have I created!?!?   I haven't even started painting yet and am still putting things together.  I'm going to need to play hookey from work for a day (or two) just to catch up before the deadline or else I'll never finish.

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - tjub - 11-19-2013 01:26 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
Holy Hanna, this is insane!!! The slaves working in my forge on the GHXX project have been worked to death. Most of them are dead now, and the few that remain are too exhausted to work quickly.  Damn their weak flesh.

I'm very happy with the project so far (aside from the time it has taken to make it), but good lord... what have I created!?!?   I haven't even started painting yet and am still putting things together.  I'm going to need to play hookey from work for a day (or two) just to catch up before the deadline or else I'll never finish.

~N

ShockShockCheers!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 11-19-2013 01:39 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
The slaves working in my forge on the GHXX project have been worked to death. Most of them are dead now, and the few that remain are too exhausted to work quickly.  Damn their weak flesh.
~N

Well, High Elves do make for poor slaves...they're woefully unprepared for any sort of hard labor, their idea of 'work' is posing wistfully in the moonlight for panoramic effect.

RE: Golden Hat XX - cornixt - 11-19-2013 03:02 PM

My supplies have been shipped! I might be able to make it just in time.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Grimstonefire - 11-23-2013 01:57 PM

Finally started painting mine today!  Should be a lot quicker than building it.

RE: Golden Hat XX - tjub - 11-25-2013 12:23 PM

Just sent mine in! Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat XX - Abecedar - 11-25-2013 04:12 PM

Original grandiose plans have collapsed yet again.  and now I've broken some of it.  (bites tongue)

RE: Golden Hat XX - Zanko - 11-26-2013 03:46 AM

Nearly finished! Cheers!

3 more CD models to paint and some minor improvements at the bigger model and that's it! Big Grin

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Vogon - 11-27-2013 07:52 AM

I'm very proud to say I've just submitted my entry.

This will be the first time I've actually entered on of these competitions as I always either post work in progress shots of my miniatures or miss the deadline on one's I'm painting up specifically for the competition.  To quote Douglas Adams, I like deadlines, I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by Happy

In this case however I am very happy to be apart of the 20th Golden Hat competition and thank the Admins for all their efforts.

Cheers

Vogon

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 11-27-2013 07:55 AM

Two weeks without any work done - two weeks lost to unimportant stuff like family, work, dog, wife, kids, meetings, bosses and bills.

Got up 2,5 hours before I had to go to work - I will complete my entry. I'm gonna make it.

Time difference gives me to sunday 05.59 local time. That's gonna save me.

RE: Golden Hat XX - ClawLeader - 11-27-2013 04:30 PM

I don't believe I'll make it, the wife is hijacking me to her familys home through Sunday. I was 90% done..

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 11-27-2013 05:53 PM

ClawLeader Wrote:
I don't believe I'll make it, the wife is hijacking me to her familys home through Sunday. I was 90% done..

Thanksgiving Holiday hijacking? My wife and family are oversea's right now, so I'm free to work all day Thanksgiving Holiday to finish up...with a bit of luck I'll finish on time.
Wishing you luck for getting it all done, but with 90% done already, I think you should enter what you got anyways Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XX - ClawLeader - 11-27-2013 06:47 PM

Can't, I was rushed on the road and didn't take pics to prevent posting it early by accident on my blog.

Nothing to get upset about, life strikes! I will post my entry to my blog when I'm home. It's nothing special

RE: Golden Hat XX - Tarrakk Blackhand - 11-28-2013 10:37 AM

Just can't make it after-all. The High River Flood paperwork is killing me in addition to November being such a poor month for hobby sales. It was also impossible to get time to put a base-coat on a model and the weather here in Alberta has been below 0 celcius for pretty much the whole month! Was hoping to do this one though.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Zanko - 11-28-2013 12:30 PM

Just send the pics! Takes Hat off

After taking the photos I saw some minor mistakes but they are not visible. Unsure

All in all I'm quite pleased with my entry! Cheers!

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Grimstonefire - 11-28-2013 06:03 PM

I'm going to have a mammoth painting effort tomorrow night and Saturday to get this done.  I've probably painted about 25% so far. Sad

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 11-29-2013 08:47 AM

Because I'm lazy and not the best at maths, can someone tell me when the dead line for us European folk is?

RE: Golden Hat XX - Dînadan - 11-29-2013 11:16 AM

Sticklander Wrote:
Because I'm lazy and not the best at maths, can someone tell me when the dead line for us European folk is?

Think it equates to 4:59 am Dec 1st for the UK.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 11-29-2013 11:23 AM

Dînadan Wrote:

Sticklander Wrote:

Think it equates to 4:59 am Dec 1st for the UK.

Thank you! If that is true, than I am pleased! Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 11-29-2013 12:36 PM

Playing hookey from work this morning to get some last-minute painting in... I'll be blitzing it again after training tonight until 2-3 am, and again Saturday afternoon... and with any luck doing the photos Saturday night right before the deadline.   ... GHXX has been a crazy marathon, and now an all out sprint to the finish line for me!

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Fuggit Khan - 11-29-2013 01:36 PM

All Done!
Just sent in my entry...I was worrying that I was not going to make the deadline (and with 2 months to complete it, I would have nobody to blame other than myself and my slow work speed).
I'm glad I made it on time, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing everybody's entries Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XX - DAGabriel - 11-29-2013 04:26 PM

Done, too! Can`t wait to see what you have done, guys.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Skink - 11-29-2013 04:55 PM

Done. I'm in. I'll never, EVER even THINK about doing this again. I like the result, but the painting process has been more painful than fun.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Yodrin - 11-29-2013 05:10 PM

Finally done, and I made it, yayWink

LF to seeing all the entriesWinkWink

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 11-30-2013 01:04 AM

Come again for the dimwitted - couldn't find it in the rules.

I send in 4 pictures of my entry? Am i allowed to put thumbnails into those pictures? Are there a max picture size?

This here Golden Hat has some pretty large entries and a lot of details to capture.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 11-30-2013 01:08 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Come again for the dimwitted - couldn't find it in the rules.

I send in 4 pictures of my entry? Am i allowed to put thumbnails into those pictures? Are there a max picture size?

This here Golden Hat has some pretty large entries and a lot of details to capture.

Limited to 4 unedited / unaltered photos (herein lies yet another challenge)! Inset thumbnails or anything else isn't allowed. They can be any size, we compile entries and pick a common total size for the collage of 4 pics.

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Abecedar - 11-30-2013 06:05 AM

got mine. something Ive been wanting to do for a while at least

RE: Golden Hat XX - Dînadan - 11-30-2013 06:55 AM

Just entered mine.  Will also be entering it in a comp at my local club tomorrow, so will be interesting to see how well I do here compared to there Happy

RE: Golden Hat XX - JMR - 11-30-2013 11:40 AM

Yay! I managed to finish my entry and I've just submitted it. Was a bit of a struggle getting it done, since I only started 2 weeks ago.

Best of luck to those out there who are still working on theirs!

RE: Golden Hat XX - bas_2312 - 11-30-2013 04:45 PM

I just send in my entry. Its probably not as spectacular as most, but it's the most Chaos Dwarf model in my eyes Happy

RE: Golden Hat XX - Grimstonefire - 11-30-2013 05:07 PM

Mine is the most impressive model in my army, but as it stands I'm fairly certain I won't have enough time to finish painting it as I need to get up fairly early in the morning. Sad

A shame really, but I've assembled and started painting a great model so it was not a complete loss.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 11-30-2013 05:18 PM

Done - ish! Done enough at least. I had to cut a few corners in the end to finish in time - but I'm generally pleased with my result.

Looking forward to seeing what people have come up with.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bolg - 11-30-2013 08:27 PM

Yesterdays vodka made me unable to pick up a brush today... but now I feel a lot better, going to give it a go. how long have I got left?

RE: Golden Hat XX - Dînadan - 11-30-2013 08:34 PM

Bolg Wrote:
Yesterdays vodka made me unable to pick up a brush today... but now I feel a lot better, going to give it a go. how long have I got left?

Just over 4 hours I think, so call it 4 hours and that should give you time to take pics and submit hopefully.

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bolg - 11-30-2013 09:02 PM

cheers. painting like crazy. will make it (:

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bolg - 11-30-2013 11:54 PM

8 minutes on the clock... and the pics are send in...
(not the best pic ever)

(Oh I had trouble with the hotmail address)

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 12-01-2013 12:10 AM

Done and done!

... Now what am I going to do with all this caffeinated energy I've used to keep me up to finish on time?

RE: Golden Hat XX - Nicodemus - 12-01-2013 12:44 AM

No worries Bolg, you had just over 1h!  Managed to get mine done as well...

We're Down to the last few mins now though!!

I'll starting in ~30 mins I'll confirm all entries are legit and PM any members who may need to make ammendments or corrections. I'll also download all entries and start working on the voting thread tonight too.

~N

RE: Golden Hat XX - Goltor Lintrepide - 12-01-2013 08:25 PM

Ahhh, I didn't have enough time to complete my entry, I'll be back for the next one!

RE: Golden Hat XX - Sticklander - 12-01-2013 09:02 PM

I reckon due to the nature of the title, there are going to be many impressive entries, and i'm looking forward to seeing them!

Glad that I was able to take part! Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat XX - Bloodbeard - 12-02-2013 02:57 AM

It'll be hard to vote on this one - since the size of the entries are bound to be very different. Bigger shouldn't always be better.

I'll try to vote based on "showing off just how cool Chaos Dwarfs can be". I'll vote for the entries who show why CDs are cool. Blunderbusses are one example of such a thing.