CDO Forums
Golden Hat XXI - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Golden Hat XXI (/showthread.php?tid=14651)

Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-03-2014 03:33 AM

Welcome to the 21st Golden Hat competition!

"Horns and tusks, unrest 'mongst the thralls! Watch out for slave rebellion and keep on loading that Hellcannon's soulfurnace with Goblins..."

Subject Matter: Slavery and Warmachines
For this Golden Hat contest we want more warmachine slaves! This could range from solitary slave crewmembers, such as Dreadquake Mortar slave Ogres; through Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers; to artillery or Tenderizers crewed entirely by the lowliest of slaves. It is as such a theme with a relatively free scope for your creativity.

Entries will consist of one or more warmachine slave crew members. Optional composition considerations: Inclusion of the associated warmachine for the slave(s) is entirely optional in the entry photos.  Furthermore, although the focus of the entry must be on the slave models, a maximum of one Chaos Dwarf or Bull/Boar Centaur model may also be included in the entry, if desired (see below).  

Aside from slave crew for warmachines there is no limitation on warmachines from a particular army list and entrants may take their queue from any source, including creating and painting crew for a warmachine of their own design.

Any number of slave-crewed warmachines may be part of your entry. If you choose to enter more than one warmachine into the contest, then the maximum amount of Chaos Dwarfs/Centaurs is raised to one extra Chaos Dwarf or Bull/Boar Centaur per warmachine after the first one, though the slaves should still thoroughly outnumber their overlords.

If you are unsure if your entry will fit the subject matter, please contact Admiral and he'll sort it out with the rest of the staff.

Regarding monstrous warmachines: Since monstrous warmachines have been a part of the Chaos Dwarf image since 3rd edition (revived partially with 6th edition's Daemonsmithing and Hellcannon), participants are allowed to make their warmachines into Daemonic monsters should they wish, but for such entries you must ask Admiral if your entry will fit the warmachine theme of the contest. He will sort it out arbitrarily, or with the staff if necessary. This is because the line between monstrous warmachines and plain monsters can be a fine one indeed to tread. Such elements as restraining chains; a monster spitting fire; or a cannon barrel protruding from gut or maw will be viewed favourably. This miniature, being so commonly used for Hellcannons, will be accepted even without conversion work. Regardless of how monstrous you choose to make your warmachine, the focus of the contest is still on the slaves and their plight in life.

Basing is unrestricted and up to your discretion with the following exception: Display bases and plinths are not allowed, though diorama bases are allowed for entries featuring a warmachine.

Specifics
Subject: Artillery slave(s)
The Due Date: 11:59 PM September 30th, 2014 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent to the Golden Hat account no later than the due date. Entries will not be accepted after this. (Entrants have ~8 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet. Photos may not have additional text or items/models unrelated to your entry.  Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place in the vaunted Golden Hat Hall of Fame.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona (As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well).
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 20 people enter we award 20 slaves to each person who entered. Entries will count towards a veteran medal.
- Win a flayman! See below for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Prize
The winner of the contest will have 1 unpainted flayed enemy of the Chaos Dwarfs converted by Admiral after the contest. It will be based on a 20x40 or 25x50 base, and posted on his expense to the winner's address. The base size of the "flayman" is the winner's choice, as is the enemy's race in question, though it may not be larger than an Orc, Gor or Saurus. Also be careful with your choice, since not every man-sized creature will make a good-looking "flayman"! The winner will be contacted about the prize via PM after Artisan's Contest XV is over.

Also, one random entrant will receive a set of 3rd edition Chaos Dwarf mortar with crew from Fuggit Khan!

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral about it and he'll sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Zanko - 08-03-2014 04:44 AM

Very interesting GH! Cheers!

Momentarily I have no appropriate model ... so I have to seach one or more cool miniatures and maybe a new warmachine too! Unsure

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 08-03-2014 07:07 AM

Evil, pure evil. My head hurts already at the thought of this one

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Helblindi - 08-03-2014 07:31 AM

Lovely! If only this happened a few months earlier, when I was making this:

But I'll think of a new idea...

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-03-2014 07:44 AM

@Zanko: You can't have too many warmachines. Wink

@Helblindi: That's a great one. But you need more gunline! Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 08-03-2014 08:25 AM

Really great theme, I really need crews! Models have been ordered now, grmbl 50 bucks Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - torn - 08-03-2014 12:50 PM

I'm definitely entering I'm in dire need of war machine crew models

RE: Golden Hat XXI - gIL^ - 08-03-2014 02:25 PM

Am i right in thinking that the entry can only consist of one "Chaos Dwarf" ?

RE: Golden Hat XXI - torn - 08-03-2014 02:33 PM

The way I read it you can do as many slave war machine crew but only 1 chaos dwarf bully or crewman

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-03-2014 02:39 PM

gIL^ Wrote:
Am i right in thinking that the entry can only consist of one "Chaos Dwarf" ?

The contest is about slaves, but as long as you have slaves in the entry you're also allowed to include one Chaos Dwarf, such as a taskmaster.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 08-03-2014 11:55 PM

This is gonna be great! Was again a competition is gonna hold up all my other plans.

Rules Wrote:
Inclusion of the associated artillery-themed warmachine for the slave(s) is entirely optional in the entry photos.

I need to understand the "optional warmachine part". I want to build my slaves as a part of something. Am I allowed to enter a warmachine in the competition also? I would of cause need to find a new warmacine, to keep secret and all.

And another idea just popped into my head while writing, way better than my initial one.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Nicodemus - 08-04-2014 01:01 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:

Rules Wrote:
Inclusion of the associated artillery-themed warmachine for the slave(s) is entirely optional in the entry photos.

I need to understand the "optional warmachine part". I want to build my slaves as a part of something. Am I allowed to enter a warmachine in the competition also? I would of cause need to find a new warmacine, to keep secret and all.

As long as there are some slaves about, then by all means take pictures of the warmachine that they go with. The contest is specifically for the slaves, so keep this in mind when you're taking your photos. Taking only one decent photo of the slave models and 3 others that are of mostly the warmachine or the base may not be in your best interest. Then again, the best painting always wins the day.

It was our intention to allow a Chaos Dwarf overseer/guard/taskmaster/etc and/or a warmachine just to keep the entries flexible. It's about the slaves, but the slaves never exist in a vacuum in the realms of the Chaos Dwarfs, so if you need to add something to put them in context and it fits within the confines of the rules, then by all means do so!!

~N

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 08-04-2014 12:49 PM

Admiral Wrote:
The contest is about slaves, but as long as you have slaves in the entry you're also allowed to include one Chaos Dwarf, such as a taskmaster.

This is a truly original theme idea...I love it!
And since Chaos Dwarfs enslave all races, there will no doubt be an interesting variety of entries...whenever I think of Chaos Dwarfs I immediately think of slaves and epic warmachines, a great combo.
I think this will be a really fun Golden Hat Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 08-05-2014 07:35 AM

Thanks for the answer Nicodemus.

At first two different ideas popped into my mind. Then while I was writing down the details for them, a third one came to me.

After looking at my bit box, I have now decided on one idea. Of cause is almost certain that it's too ambitious and I won't make nearly half of what i want.

Edit: ... and reading the theme again, I know i have to drop my ideas. Had totally missed the "artillery slaves" bit. Can't we change the theme to "warmachine slaves"? Or simply "slaves"?!

Darn it. Back to the drawing board.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-05-2014 01:08 PM

Fuggit Khan has graciously donated a prize for one random participant to receive. First post updated.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 08-05-2014 01:28 PM

Greetings all Takes Hat off
For Golden Hat XXI I will donate a set of vintage metal 2nd/3rd edition mortar with crew. Staff will do a random drawing among the Golden Hat entrants and one lucky guy or gal will get these guys, I will post them to the winner at my expense. They're in good shape, but with a rather odd green primer Sick
The bases even are marked Games Workshop 1984!
[img][/img]

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 08-05-2014 01:31 PM

Wow. That is a pearl of a gift. I don'y really have anything good to add as a price.

But I will give you 15 slaves.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Dînadan - 08-05-2014 02:05 PM

Just thought of a question while trying to up with an idea - are there any limitations or parameters on what counts as a slave?  For example, would a Hellcannon count as an artiliary slave because it is an enslaved daemon bound to a warmachine, or is this only open to more conventional slaves such as Greenskins and ogres?

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-05-2014 02:10 PM

Dînadan Wrote:
Just thought of a question while trying to up with an idea - are there any limitations or parameters on what counts as a slave?  For example, would a Hellcannon count as an artiliary slave because it is an enslaved daemon bound to a warmachine, or is this only open to more conventional slaves such as Greenskins and ogres?

This contest is all about conventional slaves. The entries must consist of one or more normal slaves, such as Humans, Skinks or Gnoblars. Aside from this obligatory rule, entrants are of course free to make possessed warmachines with bound, enslaved Daemons part of their entry, though this does not count toward the ordinary slaves requirement.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-06-2014 02:13 AM

Herby Wrote:
Now it's getting interesting! If you say so then it may will end up with entries including just a warmachine. A warmachine with its enslaved demons.  QuestionExclamation

Do you see the problem?

Haha, I'm really not lawyer stuff, am I? I had to re-read my post, which you quoted, three times to spot any possible problem. Actually I'm still not sure if there was a problem with my post, but I trust other people to have better understanding of rules-writing than I do. My apologies for any confusion, I only intended to clear things out.

Attempt at correction: This contest is all about conventional slaves. The entries must consist of one or more normal slaves, such as Giants, Minotaurs, Humans, Skinks or Gnoblars. Aside from this obligatory rule, entrants are of course free to make possessed warmachines with bound, enslaved Daemons part of their entry, though this does not count toward the ordinary slaves requirement.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Jorma - 08-06-2014 02:49 AM

The way I see it, it's hard to incorporate the "lowliest" slaves like humans and goblinoids to artillery, since there is no real mention in the fluff that these treacherous bastards are allowed anywhere near the warmachines in fear of them turning against their masters...

Maybe I just need to convert some slaves who are making artillery shells etc...

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Kamphre - 08-06-2014 07:56 AM

This is why you will have to be twice imaginative! Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 08-06-2014 01:08 PM

Admiral Wrote:
Basing is unrestricted and up to your discretion with the following exception: Display bases and plinths are not allowed

The Staff

I'm glad I read the rules again, I missed this point at first, I was trying to think of an idea for a base Wink
Actually I'm glad display bases are not allowed, since I will be traveling on vacation for two weeks during this time, so not having to make a display base is a great time saver for me Cheers!
Yeah!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Ravenswood - 08-06-2014 03:07 PM

Ohohoh, not enough time I think Sad

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-07-2014 03:09 AM

Jorma Wrote:
The way I see it, it's hard to incorporate the "lowliest" slaves like humans and goblinoids to artillery, since there is no real mention in the fluff that these treacherous bastards are allowed anywhere near the warmachines in fear of them turning against their masters...

Maybe I just need to convert some slaves who are making artillery shells etc...

It is pretty hard, but far from impossible! There already exists Hobgoblin bolt throwers, and one could easily imagine cheaper or very unstable possessed warmachines manned by slaves and just one Chaos Dwarf taskmaster (perhaps with some Hobgoblin middlemen to boost him).

Aside from that, slaves carrying artillery shells are a very good idea! Through some questions in PMs I'm slightly impressed by what people have come up with already. One idea even was ambitious enough that it might cause us to extend the rules a bit.

We'll see about that, but don't hesitate to ask me, and thus the rest of the Staff through me, if your idea will pass the cut for the contest rules! This is an unusual Golden Hat, after all, so it's best to be sure.

Kamphre Wrote:
This is why you will have to be twice imaginative! Wink

Indeed! Takes Hat off

The idea for this Golden Hat contest grew out of torn's suggestion for a slave Ogre theme, since many people will sit around with old Earthshakers lacking Ogres to make them work properly as Dreadquake.

Then Nicodemus had the brilliant idea to make it a more open-ended artillery slave theme, to symbolize that not many of the staffers have had the time to be around on the site the last months.

That's why the slaves take over in this way. Pirate

Ravenswood Wrote:

I've already asked this in a PM, but would a longer deadline, to the 30th of September, make enough of a difference to let you enter?

If this applies to someone else, shout!

We didn't expect a longer deadline to make much of a difference, but we wouldn't want to shut out a large portion of potential participants either.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Jorma - 08-07-2014 03:43 AM

Admiral Wrote:

Ravenswood Wrote:

I've already asked this in a PM, but would a longer deadline, to the 30th of September, make enough of a difference to let you enter?

If this applies to someone else, shout!

We didn't expect a longer deadline to make much of a difference, but we wouldn't want to shut out a large portion of potential participants either.

With a longer deadline I might have participated, now I have to wait a week for my payday and after that I could have ordered my miniatures for competation, seeing as it takes almost a week or more to deliver the miniatures, I would have had liked a little bit more time to finish my entry, will have to see if I have enough time to enter.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-07-2014 03:57 AM

Jorma Wrote:
With a longer deadline I might have participated, now I have to wait a week for my payday and after that I could have ordered my miniatures for competation, seeing as it takes almost a week or more to deliver the miniatures, I would have had liked a little bit more time to finish my entry, will have to see if I have enough time to enter.

Would the 30th of September be enough of a deadline? I'm sure you won't be alone in this situation.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Zanko - 08-07-2014 11:36 AM

IMO the 30th of september will be great as a new deadline! Takes Hat off

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 08-07-2014 12:28 PM

Herby Wrote:
Hey Fuggit Khan Sir!

Admiral Wrote:
...diorama bases are allowed for entries featuring a warmachine...

So you could figure something out. Wink

Cheers!

Thanks Herby Takes Hat off
I checked with Admiral for what counts as a "display base", and I agree with his definition that a display base is basically a larger base that often is used as a slot-in for other models.
I plan on just having the slaves all on one single base with no additional details. I really want the emphasis for my entry to be the slaves themselves.

I'm quite sure everybody is coming up with some great idea's to make...can't wait to see all the entries Cheers!

Oh! And a deadline of September 30th would be great if possible...6 weeks is very gracious of staff and normally plenty of time, but 2 of those weeks I will be travelling for summer vacation. Which is a good thing Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-07-2014 12:40 PM

I've asked the rest of the Staff about prolonging the deadline, it's called for in this instance. And also about altering the rules to be more inclusive for increased coolness - we've got some ambitious and very promising entries planned by some participants, folks! E.g. the way this contest's structure organically grew up, it's artillery-centred, but it's a small and logical step to include all warmachines, like Whirlwinds and Iron Daemons.

If these changes (if they do occur) take longer time than similar ones did for Artisan's Contest XV it's just because Golden Hat is the big contest for this site, and I don't want to handle it as arbitrarily as AC. So have a little patience, and don't be shy to come with input. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 08-07-2014 11:42 PM

moving the deadline to the 30th of september would give me some peace of mind, even if I'll surely manage in any case I like to take my time Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 08-08-2014 02:35 AM

I know the extended date will definitely help myself.   The only other restriction that might be a hindrance is the four photo limit.  If there are a lot of slaves and machines, only four pics might not do them justice.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-08-2014 03:22 AM

Thanks for your input! Happy

Abecedar Wrote:
I know the extended date will definitely help myself.   The only other restriction that might be a hindrance is the four photo limit.  If there are a lot of slaves and machines, only four pics might not do them justice.

True. I'll consult Nicodemus about the optimum photo limit here.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - tjub - 08-08-2014 03:57 AM

The deadline should fine, just hope that I can finish my other stuff in time. About the 4 photos limit, I feels its a classic. AFAIK it has always been four photos for contests for big or small themes so IMO it should be enough, I see it as part of the challenge. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-08-2014 04:07 AM

tjub Wrote:
The deadline should fine, just hope that I can finish my other stuff in time. About the 4 photos limit, I feels its a classic. AFAIK it has always been four photos for contests for big or small themes so IMO it should be enough, I see it as part of the challenge. Happy

Good point.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - torn - 08-08-2014 04:22 AM

I agree with the photo limit. It would become a nightmare voting if everyone has 10 photos. For those who want to show more off what would be the precedent of having smaller close up photos inserted in the main photo, as 1 file?

I have my base models and some ideas, going to do some sketches and then get cracking really looking forward to it. I have wood elf's on my painting table right now and could do with some more chaos dwarf stuff.

The extra time I think is a good idea if it allows more/better entries as I think the previous golden hat galleries probably bring a lot of people to CDO.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 08-09-2014 02:39 AM

Four Photo's .. Fair enough, I think it is just that my imagination runs away with my brain sometimes

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-09-2014 03:53 AM

Rules updated, deadline set at the 30th of September, warmachines of any kind (not just artillery) allowed.

torn Wrote:
The extra time I think is a good idea if it allows more/better entries as I think the previous golden hat galleries probably bring a lot of people to CDO.

That's a strong argument. Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - torn - 08-09-2014 03:13 PM

Do we have any war machines that aren't artillery? Apart from hobgoblin bolt throwers? I suppose those pushy musher things?

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 08-09-2014 03:20 PM

torn Wrote:
Do we have any war machines that aren't artillery? Apart from hobgoblin bolt throwers? I suppose those pushy musher things?

Tenderizer, whirlwind, skullcrusher, iron demon, bolt thrower.

And I supose you could make a small 3rd ed style mortar, swivel gun, bazooka. Small weapons, quick to misfire, used to send in with the waves of slaves.

Or a juggernaught pushed forward ny slaves, while CD are protected inside.

And once there was a hobgoblin rocket launchers. Those china style rockets on a stick.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-09-2014 06:37 PM

Bloodbeard Wrote:

torn Wrote:

Tenderizer, whirlwind, skullcrusher, iron demon, bolt thrower.

And I supose you could make a small 3rd ed style mortar, swivel gun, bazooka. Small weapons, quick to misfire, used to send in with the waves of slaves.

Or a juggernaught pushed forward ny slaves, while CD are protected inside.

And once there was a hobgoblin rocket launchers. Those china style rockets on a stick.

Bolt Thrower and rocket launchers are artillery. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-13-2014 03:19 PM

Contest rules updated. Inclusion of Bull/Boar Centaurs treated as counting toward Chaos Dwarf roof. Teams of warmachines explicitly allowed. Maximum amount of Chaos Dwarfs/Centaurs raised to one extra per warmachine after the first one. Note that the focus for this contest is still on the slaves.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Sticklander - 08-20-2014 05:29 AM

What are the allowances concerning big beasties? For example, having one pull the artillery.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 08-20-2014 06:33 AM

Inbefore sticklanders slave monster train, armed with magmacanons, and biting each others tails xD

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-20-2014 01:05 PM

Sticklander Wrote:
What are the allowances concerning big beasties? For example, having one pull the artillery.

No limits whatsoever. Enslaved Snotlings, Orcs, Minotaurs, Giants, Arachnarok Spiders - you want it, you grab it! The sky is the limit, as long as you keep to the theme and the few restrictions of the contest.

Pack/draft animals of any kind are naturally also allowed, but we thought it could be confusing to mention it in the text.

Don't hesitate to ask me via PM if your planned entry will make the cut. It's safest. Should there be any "issue" I'll talk with the rest of the staff. The rules have already been modified, or indeed improved, to allow for some people's most ambitious entries. Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 08-23-2014 01:29 AM

Just ordered bits for my over ambitious project.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 08-23-2014 03:21 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:

Good luck! If your project actually would be over ambitious, then you'll be in good company in that category. Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 08-23-2014 06:35 PM

Admiral Wrote:

Bloodbeard Wrote:

Good luck! If your project actually would be over ambitious, then you'll be in good company in that category. Wink

Yep... Haha!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - torn - 08-24-2014 01:34 PM

My project is tiny but I still haven't really started!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 08-28-2014 07:39 PM

I'm curious how everybody is coming along on their Golden Hat entries? And hopefully plenty of you are entering?
The more the merrier Cheers!
I'm off to a rather slow start, and I've already changed directions 3 times, each time wanting to make something a bit bigger. I'm just going to have to fight the urge that 'bigger is better', otherwise I'll never finish it...anyways, hope everybody's project is coming along nicely Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 08-28-2014 11:14 PM

I decided to finish my august paint pledge (the iron demon) before starting Golden Hat. I hsve to finish the Iron Demon omin the weekend to have a fighting chance.

I've decided to make my primary entry idea a secondary one, downsizing to something else. Otherwise I won't habe anything ready.

Good luck eveyone.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Kamphre - 08-29-2014 01:35 AM

I have a small project for this GH.
I'm still playing with knife and green stuff, but it's going fine.

Major update incoming for my small blog after the voting results... :-)

Good luck !

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 08-29-2014 01:49 AM

I've put all other projects on hold! Myself I'm done with all conversion now, have one model painted and the others roughly based.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 08-29-2014 07:56 PM

Have had to do the same with my ziggurat, seige giant and new hobby work station.
But am doing pretty well with things so far.  No hints though.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 09-03-2014 06:08 AM

Good luck folks!

Contest rules updated. Monstrous warmachines allowed on one condition: They must be accepted my me (and the rest of the staff if necessary), since the line between monstrous warmachines and plain monsters can be hair thin. See first post for further details.

Remember that the focus of the contest still lies on the slaves, and having your warmachine as more Daemonic monster than machine can open some interesting conversions for the slave crew, such as slaves goading it with bait, or even getting loaded into the monster cannon.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 09-09-2014 03:49 PM

Today I started painting my GH contribution. It's a relief to have started on that part of the project. Sitting painting I've been thinking about two things.

1. What motivates you guys to enter Golden Hat? First I thought I enter because I don't want to miss anything. But I actually ended up with another reason. I know it's unlikely I'll win, because there are some insanely talented painters and sculpters in the community. But knowing that pushes me to really rise above my current skill level, wanting people to go "wow. That's a great idea! I might put a vote on that". And that is why I join Golden Hat - because it makes me better. A medal would of cause be super cool. Why do you join?

2. I will never ever speak for a wider theme or a change of competition rules after the launch of it. I spoke for a widening of the theme - to not only include artillery slaves, but just something slave themed. Never again, part of the challenge is to fit something into the theme - even if a bit narrow. And I end up making way to ambitious plans anyway, now sitting back with something relatively small. ... Never enough hours in the day.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - torn - 09-09-2014 03:59 PM

Yeah I agree I find the limitations to be part of the challenge. It also makes voting easier when all the models are the same thing.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 09-09-2014 04:29 PM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
1. What motivates you guys to enter Golden Hat?

2. I will never ever speak for a wider theme or a change of competition rules after the launch of it.

My reasons for entering are pretty much the same as yours...I think it gives me an opportunity to try and improve my skills at something that perhaps I would not of had modeled/built in the first place...or at the very least it gives me some motivation to tackle a new project/idea now, instead of putting it off with the old "one day I'll get around to that idea" excuse. Golden Hat is a great motivator to keep things new and fresh in the Dawi Zharr world...a huge thanks to staff for getting these contests up and running.

And I also prefer not to request for widening the scope of the contests...yes, I welcome extensions on the deadlines (because I am damn slow), but I love the challenge of coming up with something new within the original stated theme. And all for the same reason I stated above: it helps me to improve my skills outside of my 'comfort zone'. Limitations on the theme forces me to try harder, and I like that Takes Hat off

But the biggest reason I like entering in Golden Hat is I enjoy being part of the community here, joining in with my fellow Dawi Zharr to (hopefully) contribute some idea's with others...I always feel like I get more out of this great forum than I contribute Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 09-09-2014 05:28 PM

I won't make an entry this time, but I'll speak my mind anyway Happy

1: Why would I enter?
To be a part of the community is key on CDO. We are such a small community, that we need each other's opinions and enthusiasm to stay motivated against all odds, whether it's hatred from other player, bad reputation at tournaments, badly worded armybook or ridiculous ebay prices. At the end of the day, I simply NEED to read some army blogs. Skink is my paintmaster, Tjub is the consistent entertainer, Bloodbeard is a warmachine artificer and Fuggit always deliever the exact feel that got me started on CD. I NEED Tommy H to write rules and show me a good concept is playable in a friendly environment, and I NEED Willmark to absorb some divine powers and live for eternity without disease, while throwing Word of Hashut out to the public. Baggronor NEEDS to finish his grafic novel, while Ravenswood owe me a battle standard bearer to stand beside Bezhukk. In such a little community we have to take care of each others motivation, so that we in turn can get motivated by others creations. That is why everybody should enter Golden Hat. I don't care who wins the actual medals. Even sloppy entries can spark my imaginations, and good ones can send me hellbound toward the workstation. For every entry CDO wins.
Also: Participation medals!

2: Widening the theme.
I think it's a good idea to have somewhat open themes, as they allow for more fun and ideas.

3: What is keeping me from entering?
My greenstuff abilities sucks so much D that I am immensely embarrassed about it xD
But since I understands the importance of a supportive community, who participates in the website events, the real reason is usually time.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - TheHoodedMan - 09-09-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:
For every entry CDO wins.

Well written, Malorndk. A proverb came to my mind:
The journey is the reward.

I`m a member of cdo for a relatively short time but it`s definitely different from other forums in a positive way.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 09-09-2014 08:52 PM

I believe the contests are the wheels that carry the community forward. I believe it keeps the veterans with complete armies in the hobby and sparks creativity and sets a goal for new members. Personally I'm honored to be able to enter a contest at this high skill-level, normally I wouldn't be allowed to even compete... To win a Golden Hat medal of any value would be awesome, it's on my "things to do in life" list, but I don't expect to. Since I joined this january I havent met even one member I've even slightly disliked... Amazing CDO, truly amazing. I just want to be a part of all of this as the community has become one of the good parts in my otherwise quite rough life. Each and every one of you a gem, keep it in mind.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-09-2014 10:06 PM

It is definitely that I enjoy trying to create something.   If my basic skills are improving, it is only because the GH, Artisans and the old Brush Slave comp's have drawn me further in and pushed me to try more with greenstuff and other substitutes for store-bought items.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - tjub - 09-10-2014 02:20 AM

I can only agree with all above! Wont be entering this time either though, was too focused on the troops and didn't feel the need for any more slaves right now... The official contests spins the wheels at CDO. Happy

@Malorndk: There are actually a medal for participation. Its the "veteran" badge, which comes in bronze, silver and gold afaIk.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 09-10-2014 02:40 AM

Yeah I know. I named the participation medals as one of the reasons I want to apply an entry. It's weird how much work one is willing to put into some pixels and internet points on an online profile xD

RE: Golden Hat XXI - tjub - 09-10-2014 02:46 AM

Malorndk Wrote:
Yeah I know. I named the participation medals as one of the reasons I want to apply an entry. It's weird how much work one is willing to put into some pixels and internet points on an online profile xD

Doh, I shouldn't post in the morning before breakfast. Tongue

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 09-10-2014 04:05 AM

tjub Wrote:

Malorndk Wrote:

Doh, I shouldn't post in the morning before breakfast. Tongue

Yes you should! Every single morning! With new pictures on your army blog <3

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-16-2014 03:47 AM

You are all in trouble now. I've bought a real dry-brushing brush instead of using an old one that looks like a toy troll dolls hairdo.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 09-16-2014 04:03 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
You are all in trouble now. I've bought a real dry-brushing brush instead of using an old one that looks like a toy troll dolls hairdo.

AHAHAHAHAHA <3

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 09-16-2014 05:31 AM

Abecedar Wrote:

Hahhaa Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 09-16-2014 06:00 AM

Abecedar Wrote:

There's no shame in loosing to a better equipped adversary! But darn... I really felt I had a chance this time.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Kamphre - 09-16-2014 06:17 AM

Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Sticklander - 09-16-2014 06:50 AM

I love to take part for the challenge. Like some form of medieval/Brettonian tourney, except with models!

I also really enjoy looking at what everyone else has produced. It's a shame some of the links to the older Golden Hats galleries are broken, because I like to look at them from time to time.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 09-16-2014 09:02 AM

According to this rumor robin williams played chaos dwarfs. http://www.40konline.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=1a4f6b74a13f516f0a2fdf65b55d0a62&topic=176873.msg2160900#msg2160900

I wonder if he frequented or lurked on CDO, a great man, loved all his movies.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 09-16-2014 01:47 PM

MadHatter Wrote:
According to this rumor robin williams played chaos dwarfs.

I met him quite a few times over the years at local San Francisco area toy/collectible conventions...he was an avid collector of 19th century tin soldiers. Last time I saw him was at least 6-7 years ago, so I have no idea if he continued collecting tin soldiers over these past recent years, but it's not surprising that a collector of tin soldiers might also be interested in gaming miniatures as well.
He was incredibly nice and outgoing, he'll be missed.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-16-2014 06:07 PM

Kamphre Wrote:

Isn't that the guy who taught Mr Hogan how to wrestle?

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Ravenswood - 09-20-2014 03:11 PM

Sorry guys but I will drop Sad I failed trice(

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-21-2014 01:05 AM

Sorry to see that "Raven.."

Starting to get stressed now.   Just had to recheck the deadline as my home computers broken and it is what I normally use to resize the photos from my camera.  Not to panic though as other options are available just not as easy.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 09-21-2014 02:42 AM

You often learn a lot when you fail, but sry to hear that Raven. I always loved your painting!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 09-21-2014 08:41 AM

Ravenswood Wrote:
Sorry guys but I will drop Sad I failed trice(

Give others a worthy chance of wining - very noble of you Ravenswood. Joking aside: I'm sorry you didn't manage to get an entry done.

I just managed to finish up a model today! Wuhuu! The last week I've literally only managed between 5 and 10 brushstrokes a day. Everything from now is going into perhaps adding something extra to the entry.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 09-21-2014 10:38 AM

I'm sure they were all good attempts, though, Ravenswood. When painting at your superb standard it isn't strange if one or two month deadlines prove hard to adapt to, especially for larger stuff like warmachines. Here, have some slaves and better luck next time! The next time we have a single-model contest I'm sure you'll manage to enter and win a trophy. Wink

Notice: I will check all submitted entries before deadline, and send out verification PMs. Just like we did with Artisan's Contest XV. We don't want any mystical technical error to stop people from participating, so this is a simple double-check.

Studies and an upcoming tournament might delay this somewhat, but I'll start with the task by Monday the 29th of September at latest. If you do not receive a verification PM before the deadline is reached, please contact me or any other Staff member, and try re-sending your entry to the Golden Hat Account.

And... best of luck, folks! Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Kamphre - 09-21-2014 01:18 PM

There is still 9 days before the deadline; So I've plenty of time to start something ! Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - torn - 09-21-2014 05:54 PM

I have my conversion done. I forgot to take a before picture, before the paint, as im pretty proud of the green stuff work. Anyway ive got the base colours on. A week for highlighting and detail shouldnt be too bad. worst case scenario I should still have an entry even if its not perfect. Ive even made a little photo taking stand out of plasticard ready so im hopefully getting a bit better every time.

That being said im really looking forward to seeing what other people have come up with this time, as it could be great inspriration for future conversions for me. warmachine crew is something ive been struggling to get inspiration for as i want something a bit different than other chaos dwarfs carrying war machinery type stuff.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Tarrakk Blackhand - 09-24-2014 12:43 PM

Good luck to everyone who enters!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 09-24-2014 12:47 PM

I'm done and in Happy goodluck everyone!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-26-2014 03:05 AM

"Horns and tusks, unrest 'mongst the thralls! Watch out for slave rebellion and keep on loading that Hellcannon's soulfurnace with Goblins..."

Talk about a slave revolt!  this is one of several wounds I've suffered whilst bending the slaves to my will for this GH.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 09-26-2014 02:06 PM

I always mess up my thumb with hobby knife cuts. It's a bloody hobby pushing dolls.

Today I finished my entry! Success.

This morning, after the kids was dropped off at school, my wonderful wife planted me at the paint station. She was a bit annoyed I haven't read The Pillars of the Earth yet. So she brought me a pot of hot coffee, a bowl of strong liquorice and started reading aloud for me - while I painted up the entire second half of my entry.

Now I only need four perfect pictures!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-28-2014 06:01 PM

I haven't got done nearly as much as I'd like but time is up.  Now to focus on the photos.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 09-29-2014 02:39 AM

I'm so exited to see the entries <3

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 09-29-2014 04:59 AM

Starting from now, verification PMs will be sent out. Please don't expect the voting thread to be ready very fast for Golden Hat XXI. There's no telling how much studies might interfere, but I'll try to work through it as fast as possible.

Good work everyone who've already entered the competition. For those not yet in, don't miss the deadline! Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Sticklander - 09-29-2014 11:40 AM

I'm probably going to have mine in mere hours/minutes before the deadline. Hope that won't be too troublesome!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 09-29-2014 11:45 AM

And I'm in! Whew, just sent in my entry...I was really starting to worry I would miss the deadline (which would entirely be my own fault...okay, partly the fault of playing 'Mount and Blade Warband' too much).
Hoping to see lots of entries from you guys, good luck to everybody Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 09-29-2014 11:53 AM

Sticklander Wrote:
I'm probably going to have mine in mere hours/minutes before the deadline. Hope that won't be too troublesome!

That presents no problem for us. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Sticklander - 09-29-2014 01:09 PM

Admiral Wrote:

Sticklander Wrote:

That presents no problem for us. Happy

Wunderbar! Cheers, Admiral!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Malorndk - 09-29-2014 02:00 PM

Yes gj Fuggit! I can't wait to see it <3

RE: Golden Hat XXI - MadHatter - 09-29-2014 02:16 PM

Best of luck everyone and thanks Admiral for organizing this event even though your time is limited Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Fuggit Khan - 09-29-2014 02:42 PM

Sticklander Wrote:
I'm probably going to have mine in mere hours/minutes before the deadline.

I'm going to send you some slaves to help out at the Sticklander workshop, so you can make the deadline, really looking forward to see what you come up with Cheers!

Malorndk Wrote:
Yes gj Fuggit! I can't wait to see it <3

Thank you! And I'm hoping you are entering as well? I'm looking forward to lots of entries, this is such a cool theme for a Golden Hat, there is sure to be plenty of great idea's from everyone

MadHatter Wrote:
Best of luck everyone and thanks Admiral for organizing this event even though your time is limited Cheers!

Yep! ...I'm always amazed at all the hobby related stuff that Admiral can accomplish on such a short time frame. Admiral must be the most harsh slave overseer in the Warhammer world, his slaves surely don't sleep and work 24 hr work shifts under his harsh gaze Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Dînadan - 09-29-2014 03:31 PM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Yep! ...I'm always amazed at all the hobby related stuff that Admiral can accomplish on such a short time frame. Admiral must be the most harsh slave overseer in the Warhammer world, his slaves surely don't sleep and work 24 hr work shifts under his harsh gaze Wink

They also die of near exhaustion marching all over the Dark Lands to be gifted to those lowly Dawi Zharr who amuse the great Admiral.

Tongue Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Kamphre - 09-29-2014 03:42 PM

Ok, I just sent my pîcs...
Good luck everyone, I can't wait to see your slaves !

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Doombeard - 09-29-2014 04:09 PM

looking forward to seeing some creativity =)

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-29-2014 04:23 PM

Well mine is sent in and now the hard bit starts... Waiting.  Good luck everybody

Had to sneak into work at sparrows fart this morning to upload the photos as my sons computer doesn't support photobucket for some reason.  That involved jumping two fences (at my age), partially breaking another one to get a foot hold, all because they've put a security gate on one and I can't remember the code.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 09-29-2014 04:32 PM

@MadHatter, Fuggit Khan and Dînadan: Why, thank you kindly! Dînadan has a point, all those slave-sendings we do mean brutality, exhaustion until death and cruel treatment to the sent slaves. Respect to the Mask!

@Abecedar: Wow, now that's dedicated! You've both wounded your finger and jumped fences for this contest. Hashut must be pleased. That deserves some slaves! Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 09-29-2014 09:56 PM

Thanks for the slaves Admiral. I'll need them to clean up the mess I've made so far.

It's typical government thinking. They've put 9 foot high security fences on two sides with keypad locks, and the other two sides have 5 foot high paling fences

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Admiral - 09-30-2014 02:38 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
Thanks for the slaves Admiral. I'll need them to clean up the mess I've made so far.

It's typical government thinking. They've put 9 foot high security fences on two sides with keypad locks, and the other two sides have 5 foot high paling fences

It sounds like this is a serious security flaw you need to bring up with your employer... Tongue Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Sticklander - 09-30-2014 05:23 AM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:

Sticklander Wrote:
I'm probably going to have mine in mere hours/minutes before the deadline.

I'm going to send you some slaves to help out at the Sticklander workshop, so you can make the deadline, really looking forward to see what you come up with Cheers!

Thank you, Fuggit! Right back at you. It shall be my pleasure to have my entry alongside yours!

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Sticklander - 09-30-2014 10:17 PM

Sent in with about 45 minutes to spare! Big Grin

Looking forward to seeing all the other entries! Now: bed.

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Bloodbeard - 10-01-2014 01:40 AM

The first Golden Hat I was a member for was GHXX. I couldn't guess nobodies entries from one another. This last Artisans Contest I could guess Skinks.

For this one, I want to guess a lot more of them, should be possible now. A lot of people has such distinct styles. Really excited about this one.

Way to go breaking into work for a picture upload Abecedar. Don't you have breaks during your work day in Australia? Or do a bit of free "interest time" after work?

RE: Golden Hat XXI - Abecedar - 10-02-2014 08:36 AM

We can get some downtime at work, so I try to have something there to proceed with. At the moment I've got 65 lava based models I'm trying to fix.