CDO Forums
Artisan's Contest XVI - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Artisan's Contest XVI (/showthread.php?tid=15158)

Artisan's Contest XVI - Nicodemus - 12-02-2014 12:27 PM

Welcome to Artisan's Contest XVI!

Displaced Chaos Dwarfs

The theme for this Artisan's Contest is to create anything Chaos Dwarf-related that shows Chaos Dwarfs displaced from their usual setting. Let your imagination go wild here! Have you been wanting to create Satan Claus on his daemonic sleigh being pulled by a flaming taurus? An evil stunty Dr. Who feeding slaves to his daemon-powered TARDIS? Polo playing Bull centaurs? A unit of Slaanesh-worshing Chaos Dwarfs? Ogres that look like Chaos Dwarfs (been done, but don't let that stop you)? Undead Chaos Dwarfs? A Chaos Dwarf version of the iconic HeroQuest characters? A Brony/Bull Centaur cross over (shudder)? Or, perhaps you just want to create something as quaint and picturesque as a Chaos Dwarf in his art studio making something Jackson Pollock-like out of entrails? Well now is your chance to do that and possibly go down in CDO fame by winning ACXVI and getting a medal at the same time!

This contest is unrestricted in terms of scope - it can be a single model, a diorama, a piece of terrain, an entire unit, etc. The minimum requirement is that there be at least one Chaos Dwarf-themed model (so a Chaos Dwarf, Bull Centaur, or something that looks like one of these... which could include Goblins with axes and beards, for example) that the model(s) must fit the theme/scene/character/sport/story/place/etc you are trying to convey. It is entirely up to you to figure out how to achieve what you're going for and we won't turn any entries away or be rules laywers about your interpretation of how to achieve this.

Prize
The very nice people at Dark Art Studios has been so kind to donate their new model Goretrek the Chaos Dwarf as a prize for the winner!
The miniature is limited to 100 castings, comes with a letter of authenticity - this price is marked 1 of 100.
A very big thank you to Byron Townshend and Dark Art Studios for providing this fine price!

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is January 13th 2015 at 11:59pm EST.

Only enter if you are happy with the rules as they are stated:

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Each member may submit anything they like, as long as there is at least one Chaos Dwarf/Bull Centaur model, based or unbased (plinths, display bases, dioramas, etc are all fair game, so no restrictions).

Submissions should include four pictures. No overlaid words of explanation or photoshop effects in your submitted photos please. They have to speak for themselves.

No posting of entries in the forum until after the winners of ACXVI have been announced, and you can't have shown any of the pieces in their finished form elsewhere before.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with four photos of your entry. Please do not send PMs or e-mails to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

Please note that your entry will benefit if the photos are all clearly composed, since voters will base their judgement upon what they can see in the pictures on their computer screens.

How will this be judged?

By the mid-January we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good Luck everyone!
The Staff

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Kamphre - 12-03-2014 02:34 AM

Oh my !
The theme is cool but the deadline is a bit short for me, as I have lots of "jobwork" and Christmas presents to find.
I will try to do something but it's not sure yet.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - tjub - 12-03-2014 02:51 AM

This should be fun, loads of ideas just hope there is time... Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Bloodbeard - 12-03-2014 03:26 AM

I have a plan and a back up plan already. It's time to build some of those "would never really get done" projects. Better start working on the back up plan right away.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - TheHoodedMan - 12-03-2014 03:41 AM

A absolutely cool theme for the contest. I`ve got a rough idea, but not sure if I can realize that one.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - MadHatter - 12-03-2014 05:57 AM

Real great theme Happy

This should be exciting!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 12-03-2014 12:07 PM

Told ya Nicodemus had an ace theme in his sleeve for Artisan's Contest XVI. Wink

I look forward to see everyone's entries! If I can join, it will probably be a last minute ditch of the dice come the new year.

@Herby: Nicodemus is busy to the top right now. He might check in on the forum from time to time, but we should count him as being away.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Zanko - 12-03-2014 12:43 PM

Sounds quite cool ... but in the moment I really have no idea! Sad

O.k. some time is left!

We will see if the muse will kiss me! Wink

Hashut!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - torn - 12-03-2014 12:46 PM

Im going to need an idea here, I have a couple but nothing I think I could get done in the time frame. hmmmmmm.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 12-03-2014 05:00 PM

Oh I have an idea all right but realising it. That is a whole different kettle of fish.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Red Skullz - 12-05-2014 04:12 AM

I've got a couple of good ideas so I'm in Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - gIL^ - 12-06-2014 09:48 PM

I probably would of entered but the deadline is super short Sad

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 12-07-2014 03:47 AM

@Abecedar: True, true.

@Herby: Good spirit. Just dive for it, don't get distracted.

@gIL^: It's 1½ month, which is longer than usual. Granted, Christmas and New Year's Eve might make this too short anyway.

Just to get a sense of things: How many people here can't enter because of deadline, but will enter if the deadline is 2 months long instead? If that's a huge number I don't see a problem for us prolonging the deadline.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 12-07-2014 04:22 AM

Am going to go for my original grandious idea.  It is I think going to take my CD volunteer well out of his comfort zone.  An extension would be welcome due to Xmas and New Year

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - gIL^ - 12-07-2014 11:07 PM

Yes Admiral i would enter if the deadline was 2 months.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Mivrash Faz - 12-08-2014 07:09 AM

Almost finished my entry for the contest. Hopefully I'll be able to post it in the next day or so.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Bloodbeard - 12-08-2014 07:27 AM

Mivrash Faz Wrote:
Almost finished my entry for the contest. Hopefully I'll be able to post it in the next day or so.

That was mighty fast! Remember to send it to "Staff" and not post them publicly.

I have a small entry this time, but managed to pledge my k'daai destroyer for december, has to get done first.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Mivrash Faz - 12-08-2014 07:37 AM

My entry was/is a unit filler that just happens to fit the criteria for the contest. The January deadline just put a little fire under my feet and encouraged me to move a bit faster with this guy. Will most certainly send to STAFF, Admiral already gave me a heads up Cheers!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Bloodbeard - 12-10-2014 02:30 AM

When asking for permission to feature their material on our wiki, I asked Dark Arts Studios if they would donate some Goretreks as prizes. So now:

Prize
The very nice people at Dark Art Studios has been so kind to donate their new model Goretrek the Chaos Dwarf as a prize for the winner!
The miniature is limited to 100 castings, comes with a letter of authenticity - this price is marked 1 of 100.
A very big thank you to Byron Townshend and Dark Art Studios for providing this fine price!

First post updated.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 12-10-2014 03:45 AM

Awesome prize. I loves it.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 12-10-2014 03:54 AM

So the title reads "A Chaos Dwarf displaced from his usual setting."

My mind straight away read this as a "CD somewhere they shouldn't be"
or a "CD well outside of his comfort zone"

Anyone else have any other odd takes on the wording.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - torn - 12-10-2014 07:29 AM

completely out of my abilities to model, but i have just had visions of a leonardo da vinci last supper scene with a chaos dwarf as a confused looking jesus and the rest of the table all elves

or, a chaos dwarf chopping up genestealers in a space hulk corridor

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 12-10-2014 08:21 AM

Herby Wrote:

Abecedar Wrote:
So the title reads "A Chaos Dwarf displaced from his usual setting."

My mind straight away read this as a "CD somewhere they shouldn't be"
or a "CD well outside of his comfort zone"

Anyone else have any other odd takes on the wording.

No. Why? I'm Austrian and I understand it. (I think so)

You're Australian and the Artisan's Contest XVI theme was written by Nicodemus. Nicodemus is Canadian. Your both mother tongue is English. Where's the problem?

"A Chaos Dwarf displaced from his usual setting." --> a few examples: A Chaos Dwarf dancing ballet with some Wood Elves Wardancers; Astragoth playing Chess with Thorgrim Grudgebearer in front of Karl Franz sitting on his throne; A Chaos Dwarf having fun in a huge bouncy castle; something like that.

No problem at all.  You've nailed it exactly. Those are perfect.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Bloodbeard - 12-10-2014 08:27 AM

Or something as simple as a Chaos Dwarf necromancer using Lore of Undeath - that's irrigular already.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Fuggit Khan - 12-10-2014 12:31 PM

torn Wrote:
leonardo da vinci last supper scene with a chaos dwarf as a confused looking jesus and the rest of the table all elves

Herby Wrote:
A Chaos Dwarf having fun in a huge bouncy castle; something like that.

Haha! These are both such incredibly inventive and funny idea's. If everybody who enters is as creative as the two of you guys, then this will be a wonderfully fun Artisans Contest Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 12-10-2014 12:42 PM

Bloodbeard has whipped up a nice prize. A big thank you to the Dane and Dark Art Studios. Happy

Another idea would be a Zhanta Klaus diorama, with a Chaos Dwarf Santa kidnapping children in a sack and leaving presents in their stead, with a throng of murderous Christmas Hobgoblins in acts of mischief, knives in hands and cruel joy plain in their faces.

Or a Chaos Dwarf Easter Bunny.

Or a Chaos Dwarf godfather Mafia boss in charge of Hobgoblin mobsters.

Or a Bull Centaur in a bullfighting arena.

Or a Chaos Dwarf captain Blackbeard.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Mivrash Faz - 12-10-2014 04:27 PM

Admiral Wrote:
Bloodbeard has whipped up a nice prize. A big thank you to the Dane and Dark Art Studios. Happy

Another idea would be a Zhanta Klaus diorama, with a Chaos Dwarf Santa kidnapping children in a sack and leaving presents in their stead, with a throng of murderous Christmas Hobgoblins in acts of mischief, knives in hands and cruel joy plain in their faces.

I like this oneCheers! and his sleigh is being pulled by Great Tauruses (sp?) that have crashed through the roof of the house.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 12-11-2014 01:15 AM

I like the one where a CD is sunbaking with an elf in the caribean

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Kamphre - 12-15-2014 07:50 AM

My evil dwarf is ready ! Happy
Now it's time to paint, the longest part of the process...

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Bloodbeard - 12-27-2014 10:37 AM

Finished my sculpting and conversion work. Now it's time for some paint.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Bloodbeard - 01-04-2015 10:57 PM

Finished my entry and taking pictures in the morning.

Who's in? Deadline aproaching fast.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 01-05-2015 03:47 AM

No where finished yet. Minor panic setting in but will  see how I go.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Mivrash Faz - 01-05-2015 03:43 PM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Finished my entry and taking pictures in the morning.

Who's in? Deadline aproaching fast.

I'm in. Need to take pics.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Red Skullz - 01-05-2015 04:25 PM

I'm in. Sent pics to staff yesterday.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - MadHatter - 01-05-2015 07:51 PM

I'll try to make it Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 01-08-2015 05:26 AM

Best of luck, chaps!

Unless some other staff member volunteers I'll gladly handle the picture editing and voting/winners threads. Note that I'm short on time since the university autumn studies are concluded during the first half of January, so please expect the voting thread to be late by several days. Don't hold your breath. Wink

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - TheHoodedMan - 01-08-2015 06:16 AM

Will miss it this time, sorry. I`m looking forward to your entries, guys.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Fuggit Khan - 01-08-2015 12:43 PM

TheHoodedMan Wrote:
Will miss it this time, sorry. I`m looking forward to your entries, guys.

Yep, me too Sad
The amount of time we've been given is (as always) very generous...but my work schedule taking up all of my time during the holidays and other projects have left me with little spare time for the Artisans Contest.
But wishing the best of luck to everybody who enters!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 01-08-2015 03:15 PM

If there is enough popular demand for it, we could always re-run this theme some other time in the future.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - TheHoodedMan - 01-08-2015 05:29 PM

Admiral Wrote:
If there is enough popular demand for it, we could always re-run this theme some other time in the future.

That would be great. The topic is a very open one, so that should be possible.
Good luck for your remaining exams!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - TheHoodedMan - 01-08-2015 05:32 PM

Herby I like this. Thank you for your motivating comments!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Fuggit Khan - 01-08-2015 05:48 PM

Herby Wrote:
Come on please. Dear Fuggit Khan you can make it. Like I said earlier to TheHoodedMan if you are starting from scratch now is there still enough time to create something. There is a whole weekend before the deadline. You know you can do it. I count on you.
You don't have to make something big like last time when you made those huge rocket. There is this motto "Brevity is the soul of wit." Rock on!

Thank you Herby Cheers!
Maybe I can come up with something quick and easy this weekend. There is no way I can paint a Chaos Dwarf mini in time (I'm too slow)...and I don't believe we are allowed to use previous models (from our blogs) in this contest. So, anything I make will not have a Chaos Dwarf in it. Maybe I can think of something that is loosely associated with CD's?

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Fuggit Khan - 01-08-2015 06:01 PM

Thank you for the slaves. Okay, you've given me enough motivation to try to come up with something (thank you) Takes Hat off
The trick is that I can't paint a CD completely in time...I'm gonna have to think of something that shows Chaos Dwarfs "displaced from their normal setting" but without a Chaos Dwarf himself to be seen.
Gonna have to figure this out... Hashut!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 01-11-2015 08:55 PM

Well, I'm in.   Major panic when I had a hiccup with a lost password to photobucket but managed to fix it.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 01-12-2015 06:46 AM

Good job, Abecedar!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Fuggit Khan - 01-12-2015 12:32 PM

Just sent my entry in...good luck to everybody and really looking forward to seeing all the entries from you guys Takes Hat off
And thank you again to Herby for giving me the last minute motivation to enter Cheers!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 01-12-2015 01:37 PM

Haha, that's some speedy work mr. Khan! Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - MadHatter - 01-12-2015 09:01 PM

Hoping I will make it, panic question sendt in PM instead to Admiral Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Dînadan - 01-12-2015 09:10 PM

MadHatter Wrote:
Hoping I will make it, panic question though, hobgoblins allowed?

Think so - you just need at least one Chaos Dwarf, and I think it needs to be the focus/centrepiece rather than the hobbos.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - MadHatter - 01-12-2015 09:26 PM

Dînadan Wrote:

MadHatter Wrote:

Think so - you just need at least one Chaos Dwarf, and I think it needs to be the focus/centrepiece rather than the hobbos.

I've messed up, guess I'm out.

Best of luck guys Cheers!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Dînadan - 01-12-2015 09:38 PM

MadHatter Wrote:

Dînadan Wrote:

MadHatter Wrote:

Actually, rereading the theme blurb, you could get away with all hobgoblins as long as at least one is cosplaying as a Chaos Dwarf.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - MadHatter - 01-12-2015 09:46 PM

Dînadan Wrote:

MadHatter Wrote:

Dînadan Wrote:

MadHatter Wrote:

Actually, rereading the theme blurb, you could get away with all hobgoblins as long as at least one is cosplaying as a Chaos Dwarf.

Hah! Thanks man, errr... Its not what I had in mind but you saved my project. Slaves for you Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Abecedar - 01-13-2015 01:01 AM

A hobgoblin cosplaying as a  chaos dwarf, I am now officially intrigued by the concept.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 01-13-2015 07:06 AM

@TheHoodedMan: Thanks a lot, I'm going to need it!

@Herby: Applause for you as well! And for everyone else who've made it. I haven't had the time to really follow this contest thread, so I'm sorry if I've overlooked things.

Bloodbeard have graciously done us all a favour and is handling the upcoming voting thread. That means we'll get to see everyone's entries quickly, which wouldn't have been the case if I had done it, since this week is packed full with end-of-the-course exams and whatnot.

However, I could chuck in a quick "aid" and send out verification PMs to everyone who have entered, if you wish it. This is not standard Staff procedure, but I like to be sure. Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Red Skullz - 01-13-2015 10:11 AM

I could get a verification if you won't mind Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 01-13-2015 10:31 AM

OK, I'll verify for everyone in half an hour. Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Kamphre - 01-13-2015 12:32 PM

Just to be sure, we still have a few hours, right ? I just need to do some pics!

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Bloodbeard - 01-13-2015 12:33 PM

Kamphre Wrote:
Just to be sure, we still have a few hours, right ? I just need to do some pics!

Our timezone (if your Paris timezoned and not in a colony). You have untill 14th 05.00

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Fuggit Khan - 01-13-2015 12:43 PM

Dînadan Wrote:

MadHatter Wrote:

Nicodemus wrote:
"This contest is unrestricted in terms of scope - it can be a single model, a diorama, a piece of terrain, an entire unit, etc. The minimum requirement is that there be at least one Chaos Dwarf-themed model"
There is no mention of an actual Chaos Dwarf being required, so yes Hobgoblins do count, in fact Nicodemus points out that even a piece of terrain counts (as long as it has a Chaos Dwarf theme). So you can enter anything you like, the focus can be on whatever you want, as Nicodemus says, there are no restrictions...if you want to have Hanna Montana with a Big Hat and walking along the Road of Skulls, well, that fits the criteria. Just as long as the model has a Chaos Dwarf theme, whatever it may be, you're good to enter Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - Admiral - 01-13-2015 01:04 PM

Slaves for clarifying, Fuggit. I'm too lousy with rules to be relied upon unless I've read them carefully for some time at length.

RE: Artisan's Contest XVI - MadHatter - 01-13-2015 07:14 PM

Thanks Fuggit Takes Hat off

I'm in, just sent Staff the pictures!