CDO Forums
Designing the units - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Modeling Ideas and Advice (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Designing the units (/showthread.php?tid=16928)

Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-15-2017 10:28 AM

Hello, fellow Dawi Zharr

I am creating this thread to both share some WIP pieces and concepts and look for advice in future designs, as well as discuss the viability of some of the classic units.

Keep in mind that the tone of this discussion is not related to TT gaming or rules, but rather design and lore focused, as I myself own no minis and never played tabletop wh.

One particular unit I've been requested to design before are the whirlwind and tenderizer. It has been particularly hard for me to come up with something worthy, mostly because when I think Chaos Dwarfs I tend to Imagine a technologically advanced culture (in comparison to most others in the old world) and seeing how they have created impressive steam-like daemon engines it becomes hard to actually see those old units in the CD army ranks. I think GW intended replaced this unit with FW's Skullcracker War Engine. At least that makes some measure of sense to me. Nonetheless I am intrigued as to what the community thinks of this, so let me know. If you think the old Whirlwind/Tenderizer still make sense in "modern" CD armies I'd like to know why.

My latest design at the time of writing this has been a re-iteration of the Immortal. I'm still not quite satisfied with it, but I feel I am getting closer to something GW worthy, so I am going to refine this in the near future and making a decent Illustration of it. Meanwhile I will leave some WIP and conceptual designs here for you to have a look and, If so inclined, give me some feedback Happy

I will also post a WIP of a Chaos Dwarf Lord fighting an empire heavy armored soldier I've started a while back Happy

[EDIT]: Based on the feedback I am receiving on this thread I intend to better represent, rework or add the following elements in my future Chaos Dwarf pieces:

_Broken Skull and Lightning Bolt Iconography

_Whirlind/Tenderizers

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-15-2017 11:41 AM

Really excellent design! A great marriage of the old school big hat style and the awesome heavy metal album cover style of totally brutal chaos. I especially like the thoroughly daemonic image of Hashut.

I do feel like your design is missing an important part of chaos dwarf iconography, while I am as big a fan of the eight pointed star as the next chaos worshipper I think you have made big mistake by neglecting the lightning bolt. I know these new sigmarites seem to think it belongs to them, but I has been our symbol of old and is really our faction’s only signature iconography. I think it should always have a place upon chaos dwarf brows or as part of the gilding on our weapons and armor (and of course split down the forehead of any skulls we bare).

I think the whirlwind and tenderizer really have their place as a device attached to/being pushed by a Bullcentaur. No matter how technologically advanced the Dawi Zharr become Bullcentaurs are not going anywhere- they are The Chosen and they will never fail to stampede through the gore of battle, improving their ferocity buy giving them a ridiculously evil daemon-powered lawnmower to barrel into the enemy ranks seems like a logical fusion of chaos dwarf technology and the might of the Bullcentaur.

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 03-15-2017 07:31 PM

I like them. Very nice

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-15-2017 10:22 PM

Thank you, this is great feedback, I'll work those elements in Happy

RE: Designing the units - BABIS - 03-16-2017 06:51 AM

pretty nice sketches, I wish I had your drawing skills!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-16-2017 07:08 AM

The direction I've been taking with my designs this later years os largely influenced by FW's Legion of Azgorh. I deduced that the Chaos Dwarf culture, bring a fairly industrialized culture, would streamline the equipment design. But this makes sense if the mass produce it. If each piece of equipmen is hand crafted this assumption might be wrong. Also, as the dark lands represent a vast extension of land, dotted with several holds I bet to understand how authonomous each hold is. I wonder how the equipment varies from hold to hold or how unique is the equipment from each "sect". I've read that the blackguard of uzkulak is adorned with flayed skins and gory trophies, along with black armor, while having little hearaldry or iconography. One obvious point in this matter is that the color scheme of their armor will be different depending on their origin (as with all of warhammer) but i reckon there is more to it.
Then again, base troops will probably not change much from hold to hold. I think it most likely for the higher ranking members in the CD hierarchy to have the most unique looks. Now this leads me to a question I've often asked myself: What exactly is the Chaos Dwarf "nobility"? What is their role in war? What unit best represents them, and what portion of the CD population do they make up?

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-16-2017 09:02 AM

Exquisite drawings and designs, and as Carcearion pointed out a perfect marriage between the big hat opulent Chaos Dwarf style and the grimdark Chaos vein. The Daemonic bull's head image is particularly strong. Your drawings are especially refreshing to see, since it captures something of what could have been, had GW decided to make a full Chaos Dwarf army out of the Hellcannon style, with nods back to earlier ranges. I like your concepts a lot, and could point out particularly good parts of the sketches for half an hour at length. I'll have to be brief instead this time.

As for whirlwinds and tenderizers, yes Forgeworld obviously took them up to date with the marvellous Donald Duck-ish contraption of the Skullcracker, neat model. But Chaos Dwarfs are more than just industrialists, slavers and maverick inventors.* The Dawi Zharr are Blacksmiths of Chaos, and they are fanatic devotees of a rapacious, capricious and overpoweringly oppressive Dark God demanding full submission. They are sacrificers and idolaters. They are mystics and binders of Daemons, forgers of devils and breakers of souls. Though split in various cults, all Dawi Zharr worth their salt in the eyes of the ruling Temple priesthood pay homage to the sacred spawns of the fiery Bull God, and adulation and fearful respect must be heaped upon His Bull Centaurs, Tauri and Lamassi. These fire worshippers of the Dark Lands are also enigmatically devoted to Chaos and order at the same time, slavishly sticking to a merciless Order of Things which grinds slaves and unworthies underheel to build the greater works of Hashut in the worldly realm.

Their mad ingenuity and demented inventiveness is no obstacle to a rigid adherence to tradition and the demands of cult and sect. One would not only expect to find Bull Centaurs with Whirlwinds and Tenderizers used even when steam technology has seemingly rendered these antique contraptions obsolete, but one would even expect to see bull chariots used not only in ceremonies and parades, but occassionally even in combat.

Uncorrupted Dwarfs are sensible. Chaos Dwarfs are not, and as such you can go to town with whatever senseless maverick schemes you feel like for these Children of Hashut. The more convoluted and cryptic and chaotic the overall impression, the better. The Dwarfs of Chaos have become increasingly fascinating as a fictive race, and will continue to intrigue and fascinate hobbyists for a long time to come. CDs are rigged for creativity and original leaps and crazy conversions and concepts of wild abandon. Not everything has to make sense at a surface glance in Dawi Zharr society, and much don't.

As for Chaos Dwarf nobility, my guess is that they would roughly correspond to Clan leaders, individuals who through brilliance and achievements have risen in the world, and most importantly offspring of the ruling caste of Sorcerer-Prophets. To differ from their uncorrupted cousins in fundamental aspects and to draw upon real-world ancient Mesopotamian reference, the ruling class of the Chaos Dwarfs would obviously have harems. And though Sorcerer-Prophets eventually petrify, one would expect them to beget as many offspring as possible while the granite grasp of the Sorcerer's Curse has not yet claimed their virility, particularly as they are bull worshippers with the bull being a most male creature (This and this are related to the topic on hand). To lord it over their harem and breed many sons and even precious daughters would only be to live in the image of their Father of Darkness.

As such, there would at any time exist a sizeable portion of the Chaos Dwarf society which has been fathered by Sorcerer-Prophets or other overlords, and as usual within societies with polygamy most of these would be expected to trickle down the social ladder and largely fend for themselves, though their status, upbringing and perhaps gifts or inheritance would likely secure fine enough positions in the Chaos Dwarf empire. Many of the more gifted or favoured ones would become Daemonsmiths, or warleaders and officers if their talents are martial. Prized companies comprising only of sons of the harems would not be unlikely at all in the hosts of Zharr-Naggrund the Great and all her holdings. And if gifted with the sorcerous and prophetic sparks, they could become Temple acolytes and aim at lordship and priesthood if not unholy rites, Temple intrigues, madness, sorcerous-Daemonic disasters or the Curse of Stone claim them first.

So, much of Chaos Dwarf "nobility" would be the numerous offspring from the priestly harems, whether of first or later generations. They would have lineage and prestige and some privileges, and would usually have quite good means to claw themselves upward in the world. And if they are truly fortunate or skilled, they will even have wives or concubines of their own. With the male to female ratio in fantasy Dwarf populations being skewed, even having a single wife in a society with harems would be highly precious, so it plays in well with the covetousness and greed inherent in the Dawi Zharr. Lust for mortal dominion, worldly wealth, immortal knowledge, otherworldly forces and fleshly power goes hand in hand in a culture which openly professes that might is right and stringently adhers to and even worships cruelty, ruthlessness, rapacity, oppression and black-hearted hunger for power.

This might provide some starting point for thinking of the Chaos Dwarf elite.

Also, though customs may vary widely from stronghold to stronghold, from clan to clan, from sect to sect and most importantly from the followers of one Sorcerer-Prophet to another (their whims or religious interpretations being the deciding factor for thousands of subjects), as a rule one would expect to see big hats, and particularly ornate hats, adorn the heads of what corresponds to nobility in the slavish, fanatic, mad craftsman world of the Chaos Dwarfs, with masks often being associated with the lower orders, artillery crews/engineers (for reasons of profession) and even the shamed outcast warriors of the infamous Infernal Guard. This hierarchical headgear height opulence would as stated not be strictly universal to all worshippers of Hashut, but could work as a rough rule of thumb.

* Also they are skilled artisans, and one would expect fine crafts pieces as opposed to mass produced arms to figure a lot among free Chaos Dwarfs, i.e. non Infernal Guard, who have the means to purchase or produce high-quality mastercrafted weapons and armour. Much of the simple mass-produced stuff would go on export up north and be used to arm the Hobgoblin middleman slave caste or the lowliest thralls. It'd be a status thing to have uniquely crafted objects among your armaments.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-16-2017 09:43 AM

I'm so glad I started this thread! Thank you, your replies are much apreciated Happy

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 03-16-2017 10:19 AM

Your drawings are great but I agree that lightning bolts are a good addition, but think they look pretty spot on!
I see dwarves being stuck in there way and the process of forging being the way it has always been done, just on a larger scale. 100 daemonsmiths with a 100 slaves each all working individually to create there masterpieces, there legacy to Hashut.
I also think that the 4th edition warhammer armies chaos dwarfs book goes into social structure, although only briefly.

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 03-16-2017 01:20 PM

Wow!  

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-16-2017 02:20 PM

As for iconography and aesthetics, you've got a great look going! One thing one cannot wish for more, is Daemonic elements. You have them nailed in abundance, skillfully. If you nevertheless would be on the lookout for further things to incorporate into your distinctive style, then here's some spattering of oddities:

Chaos Dwarf runes, which there is a wealth of. Aside from those in the compilation thread, there's a plethora of little runes scattered throughout the CD illustrations for Throne of Tamurkhan/Legion of Azgorh. Nicomedus has been compiling them into a list, but he's busy and it's a big undertaking, so don't hold your breath for that crowning glory on the collection of official GW/FW CD runes. One can also take some inspiration from cuneiform if one feel like it, and likewise stone or clay writing tablets will make Chaos Dwarfs seem a bit extra peculiar.

Mesopotamian god horns (the subtle horns lying flat around the headgear), as seen on T9A Infernal Dwarf icon and this Norbaminiatures' Lord of Fire, this Lost Kingdoms Sorcerer and also on the top decoration on the Animated Dwarf Statue.

Also, I'm dead sure your hard Daemonic Chaotic style of Dawi Zharr would look wondrous if given an opportunity to assault fresques, whether on large armour plates for sacred creatures or steam vehicles, or on architecture or even the odd shield. There's a wealth of ancient Assyrian fresques in particular to pick inspiration from, and much to be done with it in fantasy settings. Volcanoes, cracking and collapsing earth and flames shooting from up out of the underworld and other destructive elemental stuff could figure in the iconography somewhere, besides lightning. Most of this is too detailed and wide for any use in infantry equipment detailwork, obviously, but could be used as a backdrop in scenic artworks depicting Chaos Dwarfs busy with some activity amid their soaring monuments, in their laboratory-workshops, sacred Temple halls, armouries, torture chambers, Daemonforges and soulfurnaces, slave quarters, catacombs or whatever.

Twisted and distorted faces in materials scream Daemonic, as in the Hellcannon, and generally the Hellcannon and its crew with their equipment and tools ought to be studied closely. This was drawn after close inspection of said figures and various historical stuff, just in case anything in there is worth salvaging somewhere.

The beaten metal, and the roughly torn metal on the wheels always improved the raw and untamed impression of that artillery piece. For use with similar units in the army, perhaps? (Obviously not inspirational stuff for CD overlords, who in their outfits are refined, in control and far above the maniac ragings of a violently forged Hellcannon. But possibly for the odd mad Daemonsmith or shunned Infernal Guard?)

Also, chains, mayhap with a meathook, Chaos star/arrow, rune amulet, severed head or hand at the end, aren't wrong with the Dwarfs of Fire. Neither are shackles for slaves.

Speaking of shackles, you might want to take a quick look on these Lost Kingdoms characters. There are design elements in there worth to ponder on. E.g. the flaming metal bull's head standard, the theme of the subdued slave and the sorcerer in full swing of action.

...and then there's always flaying, based upon ancient Assyrian cruelty practices.

Besides, do you have any plans to visit the asscannon and reinvent it? I have long pondered it, and eventually intends to sculpt something much more grimdark Daemonic with loads of freak detail, shackles and whatnot. I'm highly curious as to how you would tackle the subject in drawing. Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-17-2017 10:44 AM

Chaos dwarf runes have not been the easiest of elements to put in the designs, because I tend to think of runes as a "magic" infused thing, which makes me almost invariably think of them as glowy things almost wherever they appear. At the time of writing this, the only effective way I have to do that in my drawings is as a digital overlay. I'll include it in my next piece as a sort of test.

FYI my next piece is (again) the immortal, based on the latest design I did for it, but this time in a more lively pose as shared in the opening post on this thread (the one where he's on top of an ork, pulling its head up, preparing a deadly axe swing.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-17-2017 10:50 AM

Also part of what makes me design the Dawi Zarr armor along the lines of chaos warrior armor is something I read somewhere, stating that chaos armor is largely crafted by our brethren and then traded to the chaos warriors of the north. The simplicity of the design in the base troops of FW's Legion of Azgorh, to my eyes, conveys this perfectly, so I also take a lot of queues from them, but at the same time I think it somewhat bland in a few areas, so I attempt to make them a bit more unique, drawing from everything else Chaos Dwarf related I've found both here, and on the many fanmade Army Books I've found. I have to thank Tommy H. and Mathyas Ellison for it Happy

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-17-2017 11:03 AM

Hmmm... I dunno I think you had runes done correctly on this piece here:

where they are used as talismans and individual carvings, the stone (or possibly etched metal in some cases?) inserts give the impression the Chaos Dwarf likely carved them himself and had them attached (assuming of course he didn't forge all of his weapons and armor himself, the Dawi Zharr are no less craftsmen then any mountain dwelling ancestor groveler). They don't garishly dominate his armor buy being massive rune shaped pauldron trimmings, they are runes and symbols placed with clear purpose and tradition... not to say that there is anything wrong with garish, but these more subtle details I think speak volumes.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-17-2017 12:57 PM

Ah yes, runic symbols are nailed down already then. I was merely inspecting the above sketches. Great drawing, besides! Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-17-2017 03:18 PM

Carcearion Wrote:
Hmmm... I dunno I think you had runes done correctly on this piece here:

Yes, But I'm not 100% satisfied with how they turned out when I did add them. That's what I mean. It can be done better, I just need to test some other methods until I/we figure out what works best. But thanks Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-17-2017 03:23 PM

I got a couple more questions btw: Do chaos dwarves always have horns? and do they actually incorporate the star of chaos extensively, or is that element something not as prevalent as other CD specific symbols?

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-17-2017 03:39 PM

Well if we are talking hard GW cannon and we are also talking about the Assyrian big hats era of Chaos Dwarves you do see uses of arrows, but the actual star of chaos is completely missing. Instead you see bearded skulls with horns, bullheads, and so on.

The CDO wiki is an excellent resource, here is a link where you can actually look at the individual models yourself:
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Chaos_Dwarf_Models_-_4th_to_7th_Edition

Now if you want to talk about the more kind of derivative and expspanded communal lore which has been built here on the forum (which exceeds the scraps of lore that GW made for us by several magnitudes in detail, depth, quantity and fun) then you will hear that the star of chaos is both used and revered by the Dawi Zharr, who do identify themselves as a people of chaos and have a understanding of its nature built into the mysticism of their culture, but that the focus of their adoration is always to Hashut above raw chaos itself.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-17-2017 03:40 PM

At the bottom line, it's all about following one's own vision and fancies. This fictive race has already been tackled in a myriad different ways through the years by GW and other firms, and not least by various hobbyists. At the end of the day, one can do them however the heck one want. Happy

Still, going by what we've seen, not all Chaos Dwarfs have horns. Virtually all have tusks, however. Some have horns, and some even have cloven hooves or weirder mutations still (there's even some unfortunate wretch, experimental failure, misborn or whatever, with cloven horns on all four extremities kept in a cage by Drazhoath). Horns was a new introduction by FW. Devil dwarfs, most fitting. Also, the Infernal Guard champion by FW have sawn-off horns, stumps only.

The Chaos star or parts thereof have been a very common symbol for Chaos Dwarfs throughout many miniature line incarnations, for good reason. Blacksmiths of Chaos. Part of the appeal with Chaos Dwarfs, is their being a part of the bewildering Chaos abyss, yet standing apart within it. There's a tension between the many themes built into the CDs which keeps them interesting and fresh.

Though slavishly worshipping their own specific Dark God and sticking to their own specific culture, they are ever within the pull of the maelstrom of Chaos, and never truly separate. To occassionally pay homage to other Daemons and Dark Gods would not be at all amiss when circumstances demanded it. The Great Four Dark Gods are stronger than their own, and the Dawi Zharr know this. They truly are Dwarfs of Chaos, so using the Chaos star a lot is only fitting. How much you choose to use it is entirely up to you, obviously.

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-17-2017 04:03 PM

Ooh this is fun, it seems like a long time since we had much lore discussion.

An interesting note on the use of the chaos star on the models themselves I noticed is that while the star is completely missing from the older Assyrian era big hats, you will see nothing but the star of chaos (a complete lack of old Dawi Zharr icons) on the next generation that is the Hellcannon crew (who in my mind where kind of a skipped over phase of chaos dwarf design). From an expanded lore perspective you could certainly argue that they wore specifically those symbols because they where foreigners amongst the northern chaos warriors, and getting on as fellow chaos worshipers is probably a very good idea in those circumstances.

I agree with the point Admiral made above, when you get right down to it- it's really very open to interpretation.

Edit:
Oh wow, I just read the linked story and must say wow, really excellent piece of lore, and I think it illiterates your point perfectly on the relationship between Chaos Dwarves and Chaos. The idea that they are still deeply entangled in the larger web of chaos despite what shelter they may receive from their god really makes for a compelling spiritual state

"Thus it is that the Chaos Dwarfs, and even the Father of Darkness Himself, must welcome the wider Chaos with one hand, while pushing it away with the other. To welcome with both hands is to kindle the wrath of Hashut. To push away with both hands is to test the patience of Chaos."

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-17-2017 04:53 PM

Thanks, Carcearion. Cheers!

As to the Hellcannon crew, there are some subtle harkening-backs to the 4th edition range. One Hellcannon crewman have lightning bolts dangling in his beard. And the Hellcannon itself have a cracked skull at the front plate, apart from the obvious beard coils of the crew.

Speaking of the Hellcannon, this is a style of Chaos Dwarfs well worth to investigate further. Baggronor has played along with it to some extent in his range, and people like Grimstonefire have produced some marvellous conversions based upon the Hellcannon look. The Hellcannon captures the Blacksmiths of Chaos theme better than any Chaos Dwarf miniature kit produced before or after, which says a lot given the many gold nuggets on both sides of the chronology. I've shared a quicktip to FW for them to make some new train car warmachine much in the freakish Hellcannon style to carry the wilder Daemonsmithing aspects across somewhere in their shining range (they already do some freakish Chaos-techno stuff in 40k so they've got the experience), because that's an obvious thing to do given the Hellcannon's iconic look and longlasting popularity.

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 03-18-2017 05:22 AM

Really love the artwork here, it's very inspirational stuff.

Makes me want to dig out the greenstuff!   Wink

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-21-2017 08:26 AM

You have, so far given me a lot of useful information to better flesh out my designs. There is a lot for me to consider and figure how to make the most coherent possible choices. I will not use every single design element discussed in every single piece, but I will most likely spread the elements where I see fit Happy

@Admiral Asscannon: yes, in due time Happy

I decided I'd share a rough order in which I intend to design the units in the times to come.

-Daemonforged weapon concepts
-Immortal (scenic illustration)
-Blunderbuss
-Studies on the whirlwind/tenderizer
-A hero or legendary lord (I'll let the community decide who)
-Fleshing out and differentiation of the hobgoblin species of greenskin

This is not a static order, there might be some change along the process, but that's roughly what my mind is set on at the moment

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-21-2017 12:17 PM

t5p1ny Wrote:

-A hero or legendary lord (I'll let the community decide who)

I'd bet my second tallest hat that if you made a forum poll Astrogoth would win by a land slide.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-21-2017 12:19 PM

I've been browsing through some old materials, and I found something I thought to be lost. The sketch/study i did a while back for the whirlwind/tenderizer:

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-21-2017 12:28 PM

Here's some of the old stuff I dug up today, sorry for the poor quality of the images.
Some are studies, others concepts, and others still, unfinished works. Hopefully you might find some of them interesting. Keep in mind that most of this predates the launch of tamurkhan, so the reference I went by at the time largely came from what this community produced and the original army book for the chaos dwarves by games workshop.

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-21-2017 12:38 PM

Oh man I love this one:

I'd love to have him as a Lord model... hell I'd love to have this print, reminds me of the Lost Kingdoms line in all the best ways.

Have you considered submitting any of your work to the forum as Contest Prizes?

Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-21-2017 01:07 PM

Carcearion Wrote:

Have you considered submitting any of your work to the forum as Contest Prizes?

I'll se what can be done in that regard Wink

RE: Designing the units - Xander - 03-21-2017 01:19 PM

Very nice illustrations!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-22-2017 05:59 PM

Here's a few more drawings. Raw concepts on Weapons and a copuple more sketches. I'll see to adding runes on the leftmost weapon next,, and then maybe make a few more.

RE: Designing the units - Timothy Archer - 03-22-2017 10:39 PM

this is really really good . i love the design of the chaos dwarf shield on the last picture .
so great

!!!

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 03-22-2017 11:48 PM

Yes very nice.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-23-2017 09:24 AM

Great Chaos Dwarf weapon designs! Dawi Zharr to boot, not least in their wild variety of shapes and forgings. The Daemonface weapon is a neat touch among the lot. The scenic view sketch is intriguing. It would be neat to see further illustrations of the Chaos Dwarf empire from your pen.

There is a wealth of designs among your older drawings. A great mixture of style elements, all with an original take. Thanks for sharing! This is a Chaos Dwarf gold mine.

If voting would figure for the lord illustration, then I'd probably wish for Zhargon the great from Thommy H's army book. There's been many other interesting CD characters as well. Astrogoth would always be a solid choice, and you of all people could do the concept justice. I'm sure many odd characters could be gleaned by reading fans' background. I was fortunate enough to have Hunter illustrate this story - ever fancy drawing a Chaos Dwarf on fire?

Anyhow keep up the good work!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-25-2017 03:33 PM

Here's 4 more weapons I just designed. The main source of reference for this ones were the weapons on FW's minis. This is it for weapon designs for the time being. I will now proceed to fleshing out the Immortal scenic illustration Happy

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-25-2017 06:14 PM

Oh, I love the far right and far left axes. Very brutal looking weapons, excellent use of runes, and one on the left has a real "Daemon-Weapon" feel to it that I love.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-25-2017 07:33 PM

Perfect. What more is there to say?

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-27-2017 09:23 AM

When creating what i called a "scenic illustration" it is of utmost importance to convey the nature and culture of the character being depicted. As such one can often resort to extra elements to better illustrate such nature and culture, bringing the picture to life and granting it a better storytelling capacity. This extra elements can be anything from background elements and scenery, extra characters, corpses or animals and even objects lying in the vicinity of the main character. Which leads me to a question I have been posing myself, and which I need answered to proceed with the piece I am doing at the moment: What kind of greenskin culture inhabits the Dark Lands? Are they feral orcs/greenskins, or are they a slightly more evolved kind, such as their brethren in the badlands? I realize that the Dark Lands are comprised of rather vast expanse of land, which leads me to assume there is variation in the nature of greenskin tribes. Some would likely be more "evolved" than others... Yet, taking into consideration that visually, what distinguishes these different kinds of greenskin tribes is essentially their equipment, and that is likely dependent on the resources available to them, I find myself as somewhat of a loss as to coming up with a concise kind of culture to attribute to said greenskins. I reckon greenskins get their materials mostly from scavenging from their felled foes (I might be wrong though) so, what are they fighting in the Dark Lands? If they primarily fight the Chaos Dwarves  then their gear would be similar to that of the ones in the badlands. But if conflict between this two races Is not going on often enough then it would probably mean that these greenskins are most often fighting among themselves, with little contact with more developed factions, which I think would make them more feral...
What are your thoughts on this topic?

Here's a sneak peak on what I'm working on right now.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-27-2017 10:01 AM

Neat cruelty scene!

As to Greenskins in the Dark Lands, one would expect them to be a varied bunch indeed, with utterly feral ash nomads with stone, wood, obsidian and bone weaponry to more advanced tribes with crude rusted arms and looted equipment. And certainly a sprinkling of Black Orcs, who would remain a reminder to the Chaos Dwarfs' of their experimental failures to breed the perfect slave race, and will instead present hard pockets of fierce resistance to any attempts at terror warfare and enslavement. The Black Orcs will furthermore be difficult to enslave and many CD slavers wouldn't bother to try their luck most of the time when there's a lot more of softer fish in the sea. The free Black Orc groups would also remain an ever-greater threat than common Orcs for being a potential nucleus for forming a Waaagh! around, making true military offensives against them occassionally necessary to quench the green menace in its cradle.

Independent Black Orcs in particular would probably figure as allies or mercenaries to campaigning Dawi Zharr armies at times, and obviously the security of the hated Hobgoblin lackeys will be of no concern to the callous overlords. Black Orcs' payment for mercenary service in Chaos Dwarf hosts could consist of e.g. arms and armour, captives to eat and Hobgoblins to stomp the living daylight out of.

There would be a wild variety of different Orc and Goblin tribes on all levels, constantly clashing, conquering each other, splitting apart, getting squashed by migrant Ogres or getting caught in the iron grip of Dawi Zharr mechanized war caravans, with their tactics and armaments and psychological warfare finely tuned to counter Greenskins through millennia of predatory warfare against the Orcs and Goblins. As a rule, the Dark Lands Greenskins would harbour a deep-rooted fear of the devil dwarfs from up northeast, who would seem like islands of unbending steel and bloodthirsty cruelty and rapacious hunger for slaves amid the ever-raging sea of tribal conflict. Triumphs over Chaos Dwarf slaver expeditions would obviously be valued and boasted about and displayed in trophies and warcries, but most such temporarily succesful tribes would be primary targets for avenging expeditions not least for their heightened nascent Waaagh! value, and thus likely to succumb relatively shortly after their victory in most cases. The children of Hashut and their malignant empire would never have withstood and dominated the Greenskin-infested Dark Lands the way they have, had they not figured out working power play.

There would also be quite a lot of ash warpaint involved given the nature of the Dark Lands, and probably unusually many torches and nods to the volcanic and turbulent Dark Lands themselves. Husks, scales, furs and bones from native creatures (and even the dragon churchyard) would be common, and loot from Empire caravans to Cathay, trophies from Dawi Zharr and plunder from distant lands such as Ind and the Worlds' Edge Mountains would pop up in a lot of places.

One would also expect some Dawi Zharr local petty potentates to arm the rivals of flourishing, growing tribes, with mass-produced lousy weaponry from their hellish workshops and industry to counter the growing threat without fighting themselves. Preferably against payment in slaves, but at other times maybe as a gift from above, as it were. Of course, eventually those metal weapons will be turned against the Blacksmitsh of Chaos themselves...

Much of the crude Orcish arms and armour seen on their miniatures could possibly have been forged in Chaos Dwarf manufactories.

There would also be especially cruel fates awaiting enslaved Orcs, since they're harder to break while Goblins are easier to cow into cubmission.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-28-2017 08:52 AM

I just Changed the colors on the Zealot Berzerker up a bit.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-28-2017 09:08 AM

Looks good with that glow! Great movement and details.

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-28-2017 01:37 PM

exellent lighting, cool design, and a great sense of action.

RE: Designing the units - Fuggit Khan - 03-28-2017 06:33 PM

Some very excellent work here, you and Forgefire should team up together and produce a compilation of both of your artworks together in a book.
Your added "bull themed" renditions in your sketches is both subtle and noteworthy Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-29-2017 08:11 AM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
You and Forgefire should team up together and produce a compilation of both of your artworks together in a book.

I like the idea. I'm up for it, if forgefire agrees 😊

RE: Designing the units - Nicodemus - 03-29-2017 12:24 PM

How about an exclusive pdf for the CDO community? We could add it to the resources we have available to download Wink

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-30-2017 10:56 AM

While I work on a background for this piece, here's what the characters are looking like right now Happy

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-30-2017 11:18 AM

A grim slaying by a Dawi-Zharr with a grim mask (and a spectacular hat!), very much looking forward to the scene you will setting him in.

My money is on a burning orc-encampment

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-30-2017 07:02 PM

Here's a little something I finished today. It's a watercolor exercise I finished in today's class.

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 03-31-2017 12:03 AM

Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - Helblindi - 03-31-2017 01:48 AM

Hats off indeed, that looks absolutely awesome!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-31-2017 04:48 AM

It does. Great work on both pictures! Looking forward to see the cruelty scene finished.

RE: Designing the units - Jackswift - 03-31-2017 11:52 PM

Just saw this.  Some really great artwork here.  Well done!  Favorite thus far is the color work on the Berzerker.  Cheers!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 04-01-2017 02:34 PM

Here's a little concept of a blunderbuss I did today, heavily inspired by the fireglaive on FW's models.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 04-02-2017 05:16 AM

Neat one. Keep up the good work!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 04-18-2017 04:28 PM

here's a little something I've managed to make on my spare time, it's been a busy month!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 04-18-2017 04:45 PM

Formidable hat! Not someone you'd like to meet in a dark alley. Neat as always.

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 04-18-2017 05:09 PM

I concur, excellent hat indeed! The mutations are a treat as well. Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 05-09-2017 07:15 PM

I'll just drop this here

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 05-10-2017 12:10 AM

Wow... Give us more! Happy

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 05-10-2017 05:00 AM

Really great design, once again I really love the demonic horns and tongue.

If you don't mind a little criticism though some of the hair has a slight
... umm... well I guess I would call it a pubic quality that takes away a bit from the piece.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 05-10-2017 06:53 AM

Carcearion Wrote:
Really great design, once again I really love the demonic horns and tongue.

If you don't mind a little criticism though some of the hair has a slight
... umm... well I guess I would call it a pubic quality that takes away a bit from the piece.

hahah, I don't mind criticism, I actually welcome it!

A regular unkempt beard may have a "pubic quality" to it depending on your genetics, mate Wink
I admit I might have exaggerated on the jutting hair a but though

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 05-10-2017 07:39 AM

Splendid! The face is particularly well painted. Keep on churning out great art. Looking forward to the next instalment. Cheers!

RE: Designing the units - Roark - 05-10-2017 08:27 AM

The Father of Darkness himself!! @#&£ing brilliant mate. Made my day.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 05-10-2017 03:06 PM

Roark Wrote:
The Father of Darkness himself!! @#&£ing brilliant mate. Made my day.

This makes me happy Happy cheers

RE: Designing the units - Roark - 05-11-2017 09:52 AM

That's the first representation of Hashut I've ever seen. I don't know if anyone's actually portrayed him... ever! Did not disappoint.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 05-11-2017 10:25 AM

I think many of us have had aspects of Hashut in mind when doing various bull or Lammasu stuff, including Baggronor's fantastic balrog body-lammasu head altar idol. But this is indeed on a whole level above. Great stuff t5p1ny! I can't help but think a polished acrylic version with dark and fiery background in thick colours akin to the heavy tone in CD Forgeworld art would suit this Dark Godhead perfectly. Perhaps drooling molten metal as with Baggronor's idol scene.

RE: Designing the units - Jackswift - 05-11-2017 01:19 PM

Nicely executed and a great use of watercolor on the Hashut head.  Especially the horns.  Also, I very much like the fantastically epic Big Hat on the pencil sketch prior to that one.  Would love to see a sculpt of that one for certain.  Cheers!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 05-11-2017 07:20 PM

Admiral Wrote:
I think many of us have had aspects of Hashut in mind when doing various bull or Lammasu stuff, including Baggronor's fantastic balrog body-lammasu head altar idol. But this is indeed on a whole level above. Great stuff t5p1ny! I can't help but think a polished acrylic version with dark and fiery background in thick colours akin to the heavy tone in CD Forgeworld art would suit this Dark Godhead perfectly. Perhaps drooling molten metal as with Baggronor's idol scene.

I will eventually get to do just that!

I am taking classes in traditional medium art. I started using gouache today, and next will come acrylic. As I go on learning expect more and more experiments with the various materials as I reach for mastery. Every time I can work on a Chaos Dwarf piece in class I do so, rest assured. Also I hope not to disappoint, considering I still lack experience with many of the finer mediums (a.i. acrylics and oil)

Thank you for all the feedback and support guys Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 07-01-2017 02:28 PM

Here's a gouache of a chaos dwarf warrior i made in class

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 07-01-2017 03:14 PM

I've been having a look in your gallery, that's a seriously cool collection of art you have there!

You should do some big bits and get them framed!

I really like the Zharr Naggrund as well, that might possibly be the first time anyone has drawn it actually.??

Personally I imagine it being about 10 times as big as that, but even so it's lovely to see someone finally draw it!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 07-01-2017 05:51 PM

Lovely colour painting! Could you perhaps take a straighter picture of it, not at an angle? It would be much easier to use as an illustration etc. that way. Happy

Speaking of which, if you could take a straight-square picture/scan of your goauche warrior, would you by any chance be interested in giving us your permission to use it as an illustration in e.g. this story or this song? I know you've got Games Workshop ambitions, so I don't expect a yes in any way, but I'm always asking whenever a member produces illustration-appropriate material (one trait is that there is a coloured picture extending all the way to the four corners). Whatever you choose, keep the artworks and concepts coming!

I'm always a fan of vibrant colours and especially blue contrasted against red, so it's nice to see in your painting. (Although I'm sure John Blanche would have avoided blue altogether; everyone has a style of his own.) Keep up the good work!

We've had ziggurat city depictions before (t5p1ny's is a classic among them), though indeed none of them are as colossally big as is proper. Megalomania ahoy!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 07-03-2017 05:23 PM

Thank you Grimstone. Your feedback is appreciated Happy

I think it might take a bit until I can get a proper scan of this latest painting but I'll try. Thing is, what I do in class is supposed to stay in the class room until I am done with the current module/technique. I don't mind my artworks being used in fan material, so long as I am credited for the art ^^
What we discussed was more about creating and selling alternative miniatures, which I will refrain from doing, for the time being Happy

As a sidenote, the pose for this last painting was taken directly from this artwork:
https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/whoaor_2_lg.jpg

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 07-03-2017 07:00 PM

It was indeed very familiar! Thanks, due credit is always given to artists for story illustrations.

RE: Designing the units - Nicodemus - 07-04-2017 02:41 PM

So full of greatness!!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 07-05-2017 07:41 AM

Here's a little profile portrait of a chaos dwarf, I made in class with ballpoints, alcohol and Neocolor II watercolors.

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 07-05-2017 11:58 AM

OoooOooooh! I like portrait! It has a very Lost Kingdoms Chaos Dwarf feel to it. The darkend hornes, glowing eyes, and pointy ears all kind of give an air of fell magic.

I love the warrior up above as well! Great image! I really love the idea of sort of converting classic dwarf artwork to Chaos Dwarf material.

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 07-17-2017 02:48 AM

Amazing stuff!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 11-10-2017 02:12 PM

So it's been a few months since I last posted. Since then I didn't get to work more on chaos dwarf pieces but I am finishing one right now, so I thought I'd post a WIP for your consideration.
Refining my watercolor technique.

RE: Designing the units - Will Liam - 11-10-2017 04:26 PM

That picture is brilliant - the way it captures movement with the dust as he is about to slay his victim looks amazing - the proportions look good too - well done!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 11-10-2017 04:30 PM

Sweet indeed. Agreed with Will, and the way you manage to paint detailed characters with water colour is in itself impressive, just as the equipment design on the CD is. Extra good since you included a belted whip, trophy skulls and such add-ons. Great WIP picture! Death to the longshanks!

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 11-10-2017 07:14 PM

Beautiful

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 11-11-2017 02:40 AM

I wish I could do that, simply amazing!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 11-11-2017 09:36 AM

What unit does this latest design (last WIP i shared) fit best?

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 11-12-2017 11:28 AM

Good question! It's some sort of heavily armoured infantrydwarf, with a whip at his belt. The gear is intricate and trophy-bedecked enough to denote elite status, meaning the guard unit Immortals or a combat character type would be relevant. Maybe a slaver or just a warrior champion. Definitely not an Infernal Guard, since they are themselves enslaved shamed outcasts with faces burnt to their helmets, thus disfigured.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 11-13-2017 02:26 PM

Here you go, the watercolor Chaos Dwarf Slaver. This piece marks somewhat of a milestone. I should start using a lot more watercolor from now on.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 11-13-2017 03:12 PM

Exquisite! Looking forward to see your future work.

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 11-13-2017 04:59 PM

Oh my! I love the colors! Sepia tones are always a favorite of mine.

RE: Designing the units - Roark - 11-14-2017 04:50 PM

That is amazing mate. You're very talented. So much character and expression. He could happily march shoulder to shoulder with any FW-style Chaos Dwarf and fit in really well.

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 11-14-2017 05:37 PM

Well Done.  I am in awe.

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 11-14-2017 08:59 PM

looks like it should be in the Tamurkhan... Stunning work with wonderful colors, looks very alive, very chaos, very very good!

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 11-14-2017 10:14 PM

Hmm... after purposely scrutinizing it to try and give you something constructive I did notice the proportions on his right arm (with the axe) might be a little off. I get the impression that if he put his arms down at his side his fingers could touch the ground.

That said I do really like this piece, just the right amount of chaos and craftsmanship.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 11-15-2017 05:01 AM

Carcearion Wrote:
Hmm... after purposely scrutinizing it to try and give you something constructive I did notice the proportions on his right arm (with the axe) might be a little off. I get the impression that if he put his arms down at his side his fingers could touch the ground.

That said I do really like this piece, just the right amount of chaos and craftsmanship.

You're absolutely right, i messed the proportions up a bit! Thank you for pointing it out, I had yet to notice it myself! I'm thinking of maybe taking the phisionomy of (vermintide's) Bardin Gorekson as reference for the next ones. Cheers, and thanks for the feedback

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 11-15-2017 12:42 PM

Monkey arms is a gift of Chaos! I think most of the Dwarfs I've ever sculpted have been able to touch the ground standing straight. Big Grin

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 11-15-2017 06:48 PM

To tie ones shoelaces without having to bend over is much more dignified

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 01-13-2018 08:46 AM

Well it seems like my art teacher decided to have us chose a project to focus on for the next few months. Well I decided to go for something chaos dwarf related because why not? So a concept popped in my mind, and I would like to know if anyone has seen a model, a piece of concept art or a verbal description of a hobgoblin prison-charriot (where they would store slaves when they go on slaving raids). In my mind it will be pulled by a unique breed of squig, that boasts some camel-like atributes.

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 01-13-2018 05:56 PM

I don't remember seeing anything for hobgoblins or any greenskin for that matter.
An early Golden Hat or Artisans had a CD slave carraige.
I don't think an enclosed cage.   Maybe a suitable cart base with pole and frames, ring and chains

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 01-14-2018 04:06 PM

Excellent idea! I'm looking forward both to see the prison wagon and beasts of burden. Will you include some captives and Hobgoblin in the artwork as well?

Best of luck!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 01-15-2018 02:39 PM

Admiral Wrote:
Excellent idea! I'm looking forward both to see the prison wagon and beasts of burden. Will you include some captives and Hobgoblin in the artwork as well?

Best of luck!

There will be several stages in the construction of this piece, but the final version is intended to be scenic, and thus include all the elements that illustrate the use and concept of the wagon Happy

The earliest things you will likely see are concepts on the camel squigs, and afterwards should come the concepts on the wagon itself.

I still have to finish up the tower, and there is another piece I'm working on, but my time in class will be focused on this new idea Happy

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 01-15-2018 04:05 PM

Camel squigs... awesome, can’t wait. Looking forward to it. Will the dangerous slaves be inside with a train of broken captives behind? Maybe some snapping guard beasts keepong them moving? Possibly they would have disposable slaves drag the move valuable with camel squigs carrying the valuables? So much choice, I am sure ypu’ll do it justice.

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 01-15-2018 04:08 PM

Camel squigs... awesome, can’t wait. Looking forward to it. Will the dangerous slaves be inside with a train of broken captives behind? Maybe some snapping guard beasts keepong them moving?

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 01-20-2018 07:15 AM

I can now start to share some conceptual sketches of the camel squig, let me know what you guys think (and prepare to be weirded out):

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 01-20-2018 09:39 AM

If I'm honest I think that with a regular saddle instead of the humps would look better.

You should find Adrian smiths rendition of hobgoblins, he has something similar, but with only two legs I think.

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 01-20-2018 11:10 AM

Haha, what and why? Tongue

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 01-20-2018 12:15 PM

I'm not too happy with this sketches, tbh, I feel like it doesnt look enough like a squig nor a camel. I think i have to take a look at the squiggoth for head reference and actually give it a long neck, like camels have... Regarding the arms/legs maybe it wouldn't be a bad Idea to try and make the armse shorter. Also it doesn't necessarily have to have 2 bumps, it could have only one, but depending on how the next rendition of this creature goes I will see what feels right to me, and then ask for your feedback Happy

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 01-20-2018 06:51 PM

I think maybe the legs are what is throwing you out.  They don't appear chunky enough for the critters bulk

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 01-20-2018 07:46 PM

The more compact body in the second sketch is spot-on, in my eyes. If you want to tweak it further, then by all means follow your muse and input, but the camel squig from the second sketch looks right already to my eyes.

Good concept! Fitting for the Dark Lands given the Assyrian stratum of the Chaos Dwarf inspiration.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 01-26-2018 12:12 PM

Here's my uzkulaki warlord, the continuation of an old sketch:

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 01-26-2018 03:09 PM

Fantastic to the roof beams! Marvellous design with all its details (including scalemail ornaments, fringed loincloth, FW style "medallion" string hanging from the shoulder pads, beard ornaments, trophy skulls, hat horn rune, Daemonic jaw helmet opening... and everything else!).

You're a man with a vision, sir, and we've got to count ourselves fortunate for partaking of your creative endeavours. Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 01-27-2018 06:28 AM

Sighs repeatedly.   Great skill

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 01-27-2018 07:34 AM

I was approached by CDO user neZna1ka with a proposal to turn some of my concepts into minis. Communication hasn't been the easiest though, since english is not our first language. While I myself am fluent enough to understand almost anything, neZna1ka's english is proving difficult to understand at times... He's from Ukraine. If someone could help ease communications between us I'd be grateful. Cheers.

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 01-27-2018 09:50 AM

Amazing piece! It's an odd piece to fixate on but I especially love his belt buckle, a great use of old school lightning bolts in a way that matches with modern chaos aesthetics! I'd kill for shield bits in that style!

RE: Designing the units - Ravenswood - 01-27-2018 12:49 PM

t5p1ny Wrote:
Communication hasn't been the easiest though, since english is not our first language.

If you need translation from Russian I can help. PM me

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 01-27-2018 05:10 PM

How did I miss the camel squigs first tome round? They are great.  I am with Admiral the second sketch feels better. I like the slightly bigger back legs and smaller fronts, as if they are there just for balance. There is a dinosaur feel to them. Maybe they are the true ancestors of squigs before they retreated underground and lost their front legs. Awesome work as usual

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 01-28-2018 05:45 AM

Wow...

RE: Designing the units - HPN - 01-28-2018 07:24 AM

t5p1ny Wrote:
I was approached by CDO user neZna1ka with a proposal to turn some of my concepts into minis. Communication hasn't been the easiest though, since english is not our first language. While I myself am fluent enough to understand almost anything, neZna1ka's english is proving difficult to understand at times... He's from Ukraine. If someone could help ease communications between us I'd be grateful. Cheers.

That sounds like the begin of a very good collaboration! There are plenty of your concepts that would look great turned into miniature!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 02-02-2018 08:24 PM

Camel squig V2 is up, tell me what you think Happy

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 02-03-2018 06:10 PM

I like this version much more! I think it speaks to me more of both squig and camel.

I dunno about the tusks coming right of the jaw like that though (but I am unfamiliar with more modern squig designs)

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 02-04-2018 05:57 PM

I like this version much better.  Would be good to see it themed more as a slave beast.  Like with spike piercings, rough shaved areas and a chain harness and slave collar etc.  

Would fit in the theme of brutalised rough treated beasts that way.

Might be good to see variety, like one with a spiked tail, or one with spines down it's back (like a champion mount)

If I could commit to being able to sculpt them within a month I would definitely offer to turn some drawings into models.  But I think I might be a while off being in that position.

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 02-05-2018 02:30 AM

That is fantastic. Lpve the tipped forward look. I would love to see some hobgoblins on him/ her. Would you gp for Arabic themed greenskins?  Gorduz of Arabia could look great.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 02-16-2018 08:03 PM

More camel squig sketching

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 02-17-2018 04:55 AM

Wonderful!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 02-17-2018 06:18 PM

Glorious. This need to happen in model form, sometime in the future. Great concept artwork!

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 02-17-2018 07:23 PM

I need camel squigs in my life
Glorious

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 02-19-2018 04:23 AM

Great stuff!!!

Love the sense of action!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 02-25-2018 02:49 PM

I should be doing an hobgoblin slave cart this friday, supposed to be pulled by this squig camels.

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 02-25-2018 05:21 PM

Good luck. I can’t wait to see it.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-19-2018 09:51 AM

Here's a hobgoblin khan i doodled, part of my ongoing interprtation of the hobgoblin culture

I did sketch the slave cart but it's not ready to show yet, as I am writing a story for a project involving all this at the same time. Should be one of the next things I share here though.

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 03-19-2018 10:30 AM

Stunning work as always!

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-19-2018 11:22 AM

Love him. Hunched, dastardly, fat, everything you might want from a Hobgoblin leader.

RE: Designing the units - AtomTaylor - 03-20-2018 12:22 AM

Nice Drawing, very characterful.

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 03-20-2018 03:37 AM

Very Ming the Merciless, except better

RE: Designing the units - Will Liam - 03-20-2018 04:35 AM

Great art work - love the Camel squig V2 - you or someone definitely needs to make and cast some cause it looks wicked

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-21-2018 03:41 PM

Agreed, this direction is very good. Looking forward to see the final piece when all the concepts come together! Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-23-2018 06:33 PM

Sketches on the slave cart. This one is to be pulled by several camel squigs, of which there is one represented in silhouette form for scale reference. Feedback is welcome.

RE: Designing the units - Roark - 03-23-2018 08:53 PM

All of this is awesome, but I especially love the camel squigs and uzkulaki.

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 03-23-2018 09:24 PM

Bloody design architects (lol). Have you arranged for the engineers to build it yet?

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 03-24-2018 12:29 AM

Looks great, looks like something that would be made on a siege, practical but chaos dwarf!
All your designs are perfect and spot on, you should be doing work for the next GW book!

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 03-24-2018 03:47 AM

Beautiful. I really like the 6 wheel version with different wheel sizes.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 03-24-2018 05:04 AM

That big wagon is nigh-on perfect. Made out of stakes and wickerwork, with a rugged but neat silhouette. There is even a smoking khan's jurt with monster skull on top!

The six wheeler looks best. For further improvements, you might want to consider adding one or two poles for banners and trophies to the rear corners of the platform. And make it be pulled by at least six yoked camel squigs to get the size of the contraption across properly, just a tip. Would it look silly if some of the draft beasts were yoked behind the wagon, in order to push? It might look fantastic if there is a hobgoblin driver with a whip somewhere in the final piece.

This multi-concept run-up to the artwork is promising like hell. Stellar work! Happy

RE: Designing the units - Carcearion - 03-24-2018 03:43 PM

Love it! The perfect combination of green-skin ramshackle with a big old does of Hobgoblin cruelty. The front wheels looks pleasantly like something scavenged or purchased from their Dawi Zharr overlords that really ties them into the overall aesthetic of the units.

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 03-25-2018 01:08 PM

Looking good.  All I'd say is watch the wheel shapes and angles.  They need to be like the ends of a tube and line up.

In your sketch the wheels on the other side of the cart would be too low, if you followed the angles.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 03-26-2018 05:19 AM

Thank you for all the feedback, guys. A

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 06-02-2018 01:04 PM

Here's a couple shots of a work in progress watercolor related to a personal project I will tell you more about later. This is bound to get a little pen linework once the watercolor bit is finished Happy

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 06-02-2018 02:47 PM

Lovely Khan. Captures him beautifully.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 06-03-2018 06:54 AM

Indeed! Great start. I'm impressed by how well you handle watercolours. (I only do acrylics, and perhaps oil, since you can regret mistakes.) Fine job so far! Cheers!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 06-03-2018 10:37 AM

I have an outstanding teacher. This is turning out to be one of the best investments I have made in my career. I have gone from not using colour whatsoever to where I am now in about one and a half years of classes and I am eager for more!

RE: Designing the units - AtomTaylor - 06-03-2018 10:59 AM

Nice work, can't wait to see the completed piece. Wink

RE: Designing the units - Ghrask Dragh - 06-03-2018 05:41 PM

Holy Hashut!
This is fantastic work, incredible control of your paints there I really can't wait to see this one finished

Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 06-05-2018 02:12 AM

I would love a poster of that.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 06-10-2018 03:11 PM

there's been a little more progress on the watercolor, i've finished painting the character and started laying some base tones on the foreground. I'll likely share few more pics by the 22nd of this month. Once the watercoloring is finished i'll be adding a bit of linework where I feel it makes sense. This is class-work so it has a different rate of production than the other work I do. I tend to spend 3-4 hours on this per class.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 06-17-2018 12:56 PM

here's a little bit of progress, ahead of time.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 06-17-2018 02:14 PM

Rather magnificient detailwork given the medium, and tasty colours! It looks every bit a hobgoblin construct.

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 06-17-2018 08:33 PM

From the first image I was expecting a destroyed and on fire village behind him.
Now it's like looking up at the Lord of the Manor

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 06-18-2018 12:02 AM

Oh, I thought that was a feral/step inspired Chaos Dwarf. Could work as either I guess. Very impressive painting!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 07-09-2018 08:33 AM

So here's the finished piece, at long last. Trying to master watercolour and black pen technique. It's an hobgoblin khan atop his mighty slave chariot.

RE: Designing the units - Nicodemus - 07-09-2018 08:52 PM

Fantastic!!!  Always nice to see the Hobgoblins get some love Evil idea

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 07-10-2018 07:59 AM

Definitely. very well done.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 07-10-2018 06:00 PM

Fantastic watercolour painting! I really like the colours and details. Superb job.

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 07-11-2018 05:24 AM

Stunning!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 07-28-2018 06:40 AM

A sneak peak of more watercolor work

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 07-28-2018 06:41 AM

Wow, your work is amazing!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 07-28-2018 06:54 AM

WOW!  Outstanding artwork! Composition, poses, faces, colours. Everything. And in aquarell! Mightily impressive. Cheers!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-13-2018 11:18 AM

Just finished this one. I keep practicing my watercolors. Hope you enjoy

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 08-13-2018 01:02 PM

Always amazing, truly you have such amazing talent, the best chaos dwarf pictures I have seen since the old 3rd edition art! you do the new style of Dawi'Zharr great service! You can feel the fire in the flames, great highlights and colour choice!

Also that gnoblar boss that you did is so well detailed, perfect colours and I really like how the background looks faded to the ultra detailed gnoblar! Seriously that is one really nice piece of art!

I would love to have chaos dwarf themed magic the gathering deck with your art on them! They would be the best proxies and better than the originals, well they would at least have better art!

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 08-13-2018 01:33 PM

Here is my example (I know this sometimes wont link the image correctly but its here, or here if needed)

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 08-13-2018 02:32 PM

Fantastic! The dream of all Elf-haters around here, I'll bet. Perfect composition for that scene. Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 08-13-2018 02:40 PM

Really lovely work. You never disappoint!

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 08-14-2018 12:31 AM

Wow, amazing!

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 08-14-2018 09:53 AM

B.E.A.U.tiful.  The victorious CD is lovely to behold and the game card is excellently done.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-15-2018 04:47 AM

Any new CD army books being made? I should be ready to tackle those neglected units (whirlwind/tenderizer) soon , or do a pass on a "legendary lord". TWWH3 seems to be far from reveal, let alone release, and rumor has it that chaos dwarves will be featured in it. This is bound to influence my designs.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 08-15-2018 07:01 AM

Not that I know of on CDO for the moment being, although there is always a host of stories welcoming any and all illustrations. Happy

I've yet to check out the second edition of Age of Sigmar (we'll try it out in the hobby group), but for those in the know, are there unit illustrations in the army lists/warscrolls? If so, I'd hazard a guess that Thommy H would be most interested for a new set of homebrew Dawi Zharr rules writing.

However I know for sure that the Ninth Age is working on a fully illustrated Infernal Dwarf army book (with unit illustrations), and they will always welcome a skilled artist such as yourself. If this sounds interesting, then you might want to register on T9A and contact Thorsen. I can help you out as a middleman if any registration problems or whatever would occur.

Neglected units such as the Tenderizer/Whirlwind and 3rd edition mortar/petard, and swivel gun would be great to have envisioned by you! Cheers!

Looking forward to any legendary lords you'll come up with.

Besides, would you by any chance be interested in allowing your Hobgoblin Khan illustration to be used for this song? Due credit always given. I'd like to ask about your marvellous triumphant CD standing over a fallen Elf as well, but better ask for a picture without shadow obscuring the top of the mace. Cheers!

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 08-15-2018 08:36 AM

It would be great to see your take on the heroes from Tommy.H's warhammer 8th edition (or was it 7th) book. He has some great material there!

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 08-15-2018 11:42 AM

t5p1ny Wrote:
TWWH3

What is that? Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-15-2018 04:48 PM

TWWH3 = Total War: WarHammer 3

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-18-2018 05:57 AM

Thank you for all the feedback and words of appreciation of the last piece I shared here, I am glad you enjoyed it.
Here's a wip of what i am doing in class at the moment:

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 08-18-2018 06:54 AM

Holy sh*t... Your art is so impressive! Dont know what else to say, love it!

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 08-24-2018 09:24 PM

that looks really really good as always!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-28-2018 08:53 AM

Aaaand a little sketch

RE: Designing the units - Nicodemus - 08-28-2018 12:45 PM

Great work! We're lucky to have you and the other artistically-inclined members contributing this great work here!!

I often come to these kinds of threads to draw inspiration for conversions  Takes Hat off
~N

RE: Designing the units - Xander - 08-28-2018 12:59 PM

This thread has so many great illustrations! Some of the older sketches are begging to be coloured!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-28-2018 06:29 PM

The idea behind this sketch is that of a chaos dwarf lord/hero who roams the chaos wastes with his retinue, enslaving daemons and spawns for the armies and experiments of the dawi zharr. Chaos dwarfs being susceptible to mutation, together with his exposure to the corruption of the chaos wastes made him mutate more than what can be seen in other chaos dwarfs thus him having larger horns and tusks, and is size is supposedly well above average for one of his species. On his back are spikes where the trophy heads of his felled foes (chaos troll in the middle).

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-28-2018 06:44 PM

Xander Wrote:
This thread has so many great illustrations! Some of the older sketches are begging to be coloured!

which ones in particular, might I ask? Big Grin

RE: Designing the units - Xander - 08-28-2018 09:03 PM

This one, for a start!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-29-2018 05:20 AM

Xander Wrote:

This one, for a start!

Yeah i have to finish the inking, then scan it and colour it on photoshop.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 08-31-2018 05:31 PM

Only missing the linework now

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 09-01-2018 04:12 AM

What kind of beast thing is he riding? Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-01-2018 12:42 PM

tjub Wrote:

A camel-squig. I posted sketches on this thread before, you can check them out Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-03-2018 08:40 AM

Some random person on deviantart demanded that i do a sorcerer prophet after noticing i had none in my artworks. So, I just doodled a sorcerer prophet:

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 09-03-2018 11:20 AM

Looks great, wish I could produce something like that...Takes Hat off

t5p1ny Wrote:
A camel-squig. I posted sketches on this thread before, you can check them out Happy

Ah! Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-04-2018 06:12 AM

I also wanted to do a more detailed sketch of the staff's head.

When you turn it upside down you get the bull's head

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 09-04-2018 07:52 AM

tjub Wrote:

A Flipping big Taun-Taun?

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-05-2018 05:31 AM

So, reading a few blurbs of fluff around the sorcerer prophets i came across something that goes like this: "sorcerer prophets are the greatest among daemonsmiths..." Which begs me to question wether the sorcerer prophet I am working on should weild a staff or if that is counter-intuitive given they are, essentially smiths. Would it make more sense to have him weild a hammer instead? What do you think? Cause I could also just put a hammer strapped to his waist, my question is more about wether they should weild a staff at all. Then there is always the option of fusing a staff with a hammer, but I am not all that comfortable with it since despite looking cool, it would be a rather unwieldy sort of tool/weapon. Then again, this is a fantasy setting where the rule of cool often prevails over logic.

What do you think? Feedback needed, please.

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 09-05-2018 05:43 AM

Staff + Hammer.  Great weapon with the staff forming the handle for the hammer and the pretty shiny staffy power glowy bit at the other end

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-05-2018 06:50 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
Staff + Hammer.  Great weapon with the staff forming the handle for the hammer and the pretty shiny staffy power glowy bit at the other end

Yeah I think I'll do that and reuse the staff head design on something else.

Cheerios

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 09-06-2018 01:05 AM

IMO a "demonsmith" could very well be equipped with a staff, bottles and jars. The "smith" part simply representing a character to be able to bend and reforge a demons essence to his/her own will. Not necessary a hammer and anvil kind of style. Happy

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 09-06-2018 12:07 PM

Wow! Fantastic designs! I've looked at them for a long time. GW should hire you.

Aye, not too much is known about Daemonsmiths contra Sorcerer-Prophets. Dwarfs being Dwarfs, you can always expect even the highest of Sorcerer-Prophets to bang with Daemonically possessed hammers upon matter on cracked anvils for nefarious forging processes, and you'll likewise see Daemonsmiths dabbling in alchemy and ritual sorcery far removed from forging and even the forging of Daemons (wide field of baleful expertise).

Sorcerer-Prophets being the highest of Daemonsmiths make some sense, but so too does the concept of a higher priesthood of Hashut, complete with acolytes singing dirges, meaning Sorcer-Prophets rose through the ranks within this priesthood (and did all Daemonsmiths really do it, too, or do many rise outside of the ruling sacral hierarchy?). No matter the connections and differences, I've always been under the impression that Daemonsmiths in general dabble with more hands-on forging of metal and Daemons and flesh, and concretely practical projects such as building Soulfurnaces or inventing new warmachines. While Sorcerer-Prophets in general do some of that too (sometimes a lot), but their arcane arts are more esoteric and less hands-on much of the time. Secret formulas, Daemonological pacts and so on.

It is always very appropriate to give Chaos Dwarf magic users crafts instruments, but it is in no way inappropriate to eschew it for more traditional wizards' staffs and potions and books in the case of Sorcerer-Prophets. Some Prophets would undoubtedly be extremely hard-working in their workshops, more diligent in the practical crafts than any Daemonsmiths, and their prophecies would most likely often be gained through the work process of corrupted hammers, tongs and so on. Others would be more palatial tyrant types, or secluded ivory tower types delving mysteries all day, and they might not always rush to the craftsbench to get their hands dirty for any little reason, although it would seem shameful for a leader of the Blacksmiths of Chaos to not labour himself every now and then.

As so often with Dawi Zharr, dictated style and conduct (including those of his many thousands of minions) largely comes down to the personal whims of the beard in absolute charge: This explains the wild variety of hats and masks among different sects and armies, and can explain so much more in cacophony of different styles that Dawi Zharr display, whether aesthetically or when it comes to tactics or forbidden arts. The Sorcerer-Prophets hold complete control over their subjects, and do as they seem fit in Hashut's name.

Just an impression I've got of it.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-07-2018 05:06 PM

Finished at last

RE: Designing the units - Nicodemus - 09-07-2018 10:05 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, what a treat to see all this great work

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-10-2018 06:42 AM

Xander Wrote:

This one, for a start!

SOON!

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 09-10-2018 09:19 AM

woah i missed that gobby riding the squig thing, awesome as always!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 09-11-2018 06:52 AM

Such great imagery with that camel squig in combat! You truly give new layers of life to the Dark Lands. Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-11-2018 08:54 AM

Mostly done with this one, inkwise. I need to give it a rest for today though, this kind of work gets mentally draining after a while. Need to save my nerve up for my job.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 09-11-2018 09:25 AM

Exquisite duel in its updated state! Magnificient work, Raul. I'm deeply impressed by your mastery of details, poses, sketches and inkwork (and colour). Masterful work! There are at least fifty different details I'd like to point out as especially praiseworthy designs in the above artwork. Truly inspiring. Happy

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 09-11-2018 06:26 PM

That really is a great piece of art.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-13-2018 02:49 PM

I started painting that sorcerer prophet sketch I sketched not long ago, and should be able to share some WIP pictures in the next few days. I've also made some more progress on the duel piece, I've got about half of the ground to finish before the inking is done, so expect a couple more pictures soon. Thank you gor the support you've been giving me, know that it is very much appreciated. Happy

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 09-13-2018 04:55 PM

It is easy tp support such great artwork. Can’t wait to see ‘the duel’ finished.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-18-2018 09:34 AM

Soon soon soon. This week. Soon.

RE: Designing the units - kraggrim - 09-18-2018 11:28 PM

Amazing stuff. I really like the style of the one form your avatar, got a really nice comic-book feel to it.

RE: Designing the units - Enjoysrandom - 09-19-2018 03:21 AM

that is so incredibly detailed, keep it up!!!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-20-2018 10:29 AM

Inked and ready to take color.

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 09-20-2018 05:43 PM

Lovely piece. So detailed!

Oh and good to see wharever the outcome the dawi zharr are winning on points.!

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 09-20-2018 11:57 PM

Beautiful!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-22-2018 06:55 AM

Here's a little experiment depicting a chaos dwarf immortal helmet

EDIT: replaced previous "too tall" version ( https://pre00.deviantart.net/df93/th/pre/i/2018/265/2/b/img_20180922_115148_by_knightinflames-dcngwq1.jpg )

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 09-22-2018 07:08 AM

Great drawing and I do love the style,  but ( don't listen to me ) the helm is too tall.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-22-2018 07:37 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
Great drawing and I do love the style,  but ( don't listen to me ) the helm is too tall.

I think so too. There is a section of the helm, right before it narrows, i would remove (done).

I've also got a couple variations of this helmet in mind.

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 09-22-2018 09:18 AM

If the spikes went straight up, and you had a couple more, would sort of make a hat. 😉

RE: Designing the units - Nicodemus - 09-22-2018 12:42 PM

I really like the pieces attached to the sides of the helmet right at the level of the eyes. I started cutting a few pieces of foam pretty close to this same angle to attach to the top of the rock formation in my forge piece... really great look!!

I’ve said it before - we’re lucky to have these kinds of contributions here!  Great material for a future WoH issue or two as well Wink

~N

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-22-2018 02:58 PM

I'm afraid there might be a confusing element in the helmet, for some people: there are 4 main holes in the helmet: 2 for the horns and 2 for the eyes. The golden mask sits right on the immortal's face, at all the coinsiding places where mouth, nose and eyes are. The Immortal's face is aligned with the mask.

RE: Designing the units - Nicodemus - 09-22-2018 09:35 PM

OK, got it... those were horn holes Shock

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-25-2018 03:22 PM

Here's the sorcerer prophet.

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 09-25-2018 03:53 PM

Fantastic depiction of a Sorcerer-Prophet! Unhinged yet in control. Detailed and with nice shading and fiery palette. Perfect!

RE: Designing the units - Grimstonefire - 09-25-2018 05:31 PM

Love that drawing.

RE: Designing the units - Jackswift - 09-25-2018 09:12 PM

Some really stunning work.  Love the linework detail on the black and white drawings, and the painted sorcerer prophet really came out excellent in color.  Some very clever design work within these as well.  I really dig the end caps on the beardlocks, and the script on the armor plates matching the hammer/axe is a very ace touch.

Keep 'em coming.  Cheers,
Jackswift

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-26-2018 01:32 PM

updated

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 09-28-2018 09:02 AM

Thanks for the better scan/picture of the Sorcerer-Prophet artwork!

Besides, have you ever considered drawing a few Chaos Dwarf props? Barrels, ceramics, furniture, that kind of thing. The artists behind Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning did a wonderful job of bringing each faction's own flavour into props and everyday items, be it slender Elf barrels or ancestor face-encrusted fat Dwarf items; or indeed horned and hellish twisted Chaos items, sporting hints of glowing eyes, skeletal metal ribs, spikes and chains IIRC. Just curious: You master a distinctive Chaos Dwarf crafts look with a finesse few or no other artists can match, and later on it would be most interesting to see your take on some such designs: Bringing the often everydaily into grimdark fantastic territory.

Just a random idea. Not to distract you from current projects, but maybe for later if it is of any interest. In any case, keep on rocking! Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 09-28-2018 12:51 PM

Admiral Wrote:
...have you ever considered drawing a few Chaos Dwarf props? Barrels, ceramics, furniture, that kind of thing.

Thabk you for the appreciation. Now I can't say that I have given it much thought but what you suggest would make for excellent exercises to fine-tune the chaos dwarf feel and design itself. Though I see it as more of a light hearted kind of work. I will definitely get around to it at some point in the future. These might actually help me design the worldwind/tenderizer unit (which I have been shy-ish to devote myself to, due to its mechanical nature).

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 10-03-2018 07:35 AM

My first minis are due next wednsday. I am at long last starting to build an army! Hope it doesn't distract me too much!

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 10-03-2018 10:25 AM

Oooh, now this will be interesting to behold! Fingers crossed you still get some art in as well. Happy

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 10-03-2018 02:05 PM

t5p1ny Wrote:
My first minis are due next wednsday. I am at long last starting to build an army! Hope it doesn't distract me too much!

Oh, cool! Are you designing your own stuff or what kinda models are they? Happy

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 10-04-2018 07:53 AM

tjub Wrote:

Oh, cool! Are you designing your own stuff or what kinda models are they? Happy

For now buying directly from GW. Ordered "start collecting: beasts of chaos". I got a hobby store right next to my workplace so i am buying everything there. I am still gathering supplies while I wait for the beasts to arrive. I gottay say though, i already feel an urge to buy some green stuff and start messing with what i'm gonna get. I need to try not to get ahead of myself if don't want to start ruining the minis!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 10-12-2018 06:21 PM

Here what I am doing in class:

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 10-13-2018 02:51 PM

Brutal pet, that one! I'm a fan of how you depict Chaos Dwarfs. True Devil Blacksmiths. Takes Hat off

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 10-26-2018 06:10 PM

Updatesy:

RE: Designing the units - Abecedar - 10-27-2018 03:56 AM

I Loves it

RE: Designing the units - Uther the unhinged - 10-27-2018 07:09 PM

Dude, that guy is seriously cool. Fantastic piece.

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 11-04-2018 05:32 PM

inking done

RE: Designing the units - Admiral - 11-05-2018 04:21 AM

Exquisite! As always. I really like this depiction of a Daemonslaver. Speaking of which, this Chaos Dwarf baggage train might provide inspiration for something in the future from your masterful pen. Happy

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 11-17-2018 05:16 AM

Incredible as always!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 11-18-2018 07:20 AM

I compiled a lot of my artwork in artstation, you can go have a look if you want, there's a lot of sketches you might not have seen yet.
https://www.artstation.com/raul_gomes

RE: Designing the units - Grimbold Blackhammer - 11-18-2018 06:20 PM

Damn nice!

RE: Designing the units - t5p1ny - 11-20-2018 04:41 AM

I was challenged to design chaos dwarfs for the age of sigmar setting... Time for some conceptualization

RE: Designing the units - tjub - 11-21-2018 01:01 AM

Please do, will be interesting to see what you come up with!