CDO Forums
Golden Hat #7 - Painting Competition - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Golden Hat #7 - Painting Competition (/showthread.php?tid=3354)

Golden Hat #7 - Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-02-2008 10:23 PM

Welcome to the 7th Golden Hat competition of Chaos Dwarfs Online!

Hitting upon a great idea the Staff is pleased to announce the following competition for the 7th Golden Hat miniature contest:
Create a duel!

Subject Matter
Create a Duel

So what do we mean by creating a duel? Create a small diorama, scenic base, or simply paint 2-6 models of any race involved in a scene with a chaos dwarf(s).
UPDATE FOR CLARITY:
Create a small diorama OR scenic base OR simply paint 2-6 models of any race. THE ENTRY should involve a scene with a Chaos Dwarf(s) and one other race.

Such a scene does not necessarily have to be combat related, but all models should be interacting. Obviously if it involves combat , so much the better! There are no restrictions on the base (if you choose to create one), only your own imagination.

Realistically this is a chance to really show off your talents. There are no restrictions as to what opponents are squaring off with the chaos dwarfs and it doesn't have to be the all of the same race. By way of example perhaps some chaos warriors and orcs fighting against Chaos Dwarfs.

However to keep it somewhat consistent there are some size guidelines:
-  Maximum 2-6 models
-  Maximum size is 15cm cubed (6 inches cubed). Only flying models can be outside this size range. If there are any issues with this the Staff will decide and our decisions will be final. In order to avoid any potential problems with this, if there are any questions about the size of your entry contact one of the Staff beforehand.
- Models squaring off against the Chaos Dwarfs should be from another army in Warhammer fantasy battle or at least the fluff.

Particulars
Due Date: Thursday,  October 30th, 2008 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Subject Matter:  Create a duel! (see below for details

What is the deadline?
Once again same basic premise as last time; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later then 11:59 PM  October 30th, 2008 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (Around 8 weeks to complete your entry).

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. in order to avoid problems. I "highly advise" that entrants do not wait until the very last minute to submit their entries...

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the internet.  Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as Golden Hats V, and VI)

If you win:
- Rightly take your place in the Golden Hat Hall of Fame Hall of Fame, where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona *
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 50 people enter we award 50 slaves to each person who entered.

*= As with GHV and VI: If there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

As usual once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting. And as always if there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Willmark

---

Xander's Note

As is started quite clearly above, you don't have to make a diorama!

Willmark Wrote:
Create a small diorama [OR] scenic base [OR] simply paint 2-6 models of any race. [THE ENTRY should] involve a scene with a Chaos Dwarf(s) and one other race.

It seems that many people cannot see the forest for the trees!  I must say I am disappointed that people cannot get beyond the "diorama" aspect of this competition.  I thought both Grim and I explained how easy it was to enter the competition using miniatures that you WILL use in your army.  I am not sure how else to explain how to make a duel without repeating myself, but it frankly seems necessary.

Let me give an example of a possible entry I could make:

Xander's Mind Wrote:
Hrm... I really need a metal sorcerer for my army, it would be nice if the Golden Hat could motivate me to do this!

A duel?! Cool, I can create my metal sorcerer for my army and put him on a normal slotta base, and then place him on a small scenic base where he can be attacking some other foe!  I'll just slot him in the scenic base like I would a warmachine crewman onto a base holding a warmachine, and I can still remove him when I need to use him in my army.  

Yay!

Now let's here no more excuses about how this competition doesn't help progress your army. IT DOES! Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Filipicusius - 09-03-2008 01:37 AM

Hmmm, i doo have a few spare models,but none of them are dwarfs...
This one is going to give me hughe problems...

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - al-hashut - 09-03-2008 01:58 AM

Didn't bring any other models to France with me, so i guess i'll have to sit this one out. Good luck to all those who enter though

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Ghrask Dragh - 09-03-2008 02:34 AM

Great idea!! this should bring alot of good entries, really looking forward to these!

Well done CDO team Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Filipicusius - 09-03-2008 02:44 AM

Wahahah!!! That's it!!! It will be a masterpiece!!! FEAR MORTALS, DOOM HAS COMED TO THIS WORLD!!!

Or maybey not, well see...

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 09-03-2008 05:14 AM

I already have a great idea Tongue, now lets see if I can bring the idea to life

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Lifer - 09-03-2008 05:17 AM

I got an idea as well. Actually like a thousand ideas, but one feels better than the rest. And now to work on my vision Big Grin Good luck to all who will participate!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 09-03-2008 05:26 AM

good luck every one

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 09-03-2008 06:41 AM

Kera has the winning idea !!!!murraaaaaaha

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Lifer - 09-03-2008 06:56 AM

Congrats then to you Kera already! I guess there's no point competing then, why don't we just hand the prize to her now? Wink

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - clam - 09-03-2008 06:56 AM

I think I'll pass this one. Dioramas isn't my style. After this let's get back to the basic CD army choises - shall we? Please Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Pyro Stick - 09-03-2008 07:05 AM

I think ill pass this one as well. I have loads of other stuff im working on at the moment (an Iron Warrior army and my second unit of Grey Knights) so i wont have the time or the skill.

I cant wait to see the entries though! Its going to be interesting.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 09-03-2008 07:24 AM

i did not mean to scare you guys off !!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - cornixt - 09-03-2008 08:26 AM

Hmm, I might be able to fit something in at the end of October. I think I'll go with some "slot the bases into the diorama" models rather than leaving them permanantly in there.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 09-03-2008 09:39 AM

question about the size, do you guys mean 15X15X15 cm (english isn't my first language)

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-03-2008 11:59 AM

furrie Wrote:
question about the size, do you guys mean 15X15X15 cm (english isn't my first language)

That is correct.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - two_heads_talking - 09-03-2008 12:57 PM

I had a great idea, and then realized it was innappropriate.. lol..  bad two_heads..  lol

I will have to see if I can come up with something..

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-03-2008 01:20 PM

I have an idea as well as the opponents. Now I just have to find the time...

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Filipicusius - 09-03-2008 03:00 PM

@two_heads: I'd like to hear more about this "inapropriate idéa". Just curious.

Today i realised that on thursdays i have to leave home at 07.30 (AM) and won't get home until 21.00 (9.00 PM)
Time isn't on my side...

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-03-2008 03:14 PM

"Maximum 2-6 models" actually means "minimum 2 models, max. 6" right? ^^ And the models have to be enemies, the topic being a duel and all? I just want to make sure I get the idea right.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-03-2008 03:28 PM

Filipicusius Wrote:

Today i realised that on thursdays i have to leave home at 07.30 (AM) and won't get home until 21.00 (9.00 PM)
Time isn't on my side...

Sure it is get it done a day early.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hammerhand - 09-03-2008 04:51 PM

I have an awesome idea, but I also have a 6 week project for work as well as two presentations running concurrently. I don't think I'll have time to do it justice! (especially when AoBR arrives on my doorstep this weekUnsure)

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hashut's Blessing - 09-03-2008 05:11 PM

Ishkur, it means a minimum of 2 models and a maximum of 6 models. This is to be within a cube with sides of 15cm each. The models needn't be enemies as it could be a trade occurring between, say, Chaos dwarfs and Archaon or something.

Annoyingly, it wasn't all that long ago that I made a cool diorama (poorly painted though) without a CD in it Big Grin Still, it simply means I get another chance Big Grin Now, if only my current idea can be applied... Also, what else to include... *wanders off thinking*

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Obsidian - 09-03-2008 05:46 PM

I'm going with Clam and Pyro here and pass.

I'm probably going to the Polish GD and need the time for that. Good luck to all who enter!Cheers!:

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-03-2008 06:07 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
"Maximum 2-6 models" actually means "minimum 2 models, max. 6" right? ^^ And the models have to be enemies, the topic being a duel and all? I just want to make sure I get the idea right.

Wouldn't be much of a duel with only one model... Wink

as far as being enemies, who says, could see anyone squaring off against CDs.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - al-hashut - 09-03-2008 06:30 PM

3 way mexican stand-off, that's where the money's at

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Vexxus - 09-03-2008 07:17 PM

Pass.

Tongue

Sounds like an Artisan's to me *snicker*

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 09-03-2008 07:41 PM

2 men enter one man leves!!! the mob start yelling!!!!!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 09-04-2008 08:20 AM

If people are wary of making a "diorama" I encourage you to simply paint two models on regular bases and fit them into a small themed base. Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - two_heads_talking - 09-04-2008 08:40 AM

Filipicusius Wrote:

Time isn't on my side...

my idea originally had to to with a bullcentaur and a slave.. one enjoying the other's company and the other, not so much.. an alter was involved, chains and all that good stuff.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-04-2008 10:09 AM

Thanks for refraining then.

Let's try to keep it PG-13.

Believe or not we do have a few young/youngish members on the site....

*takes off Dad hat*

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - two_heads_talking - 09-04-2008 11:15 AM

Willmark Wrote:
Thanks for refraining then.

Let's try to keep it PG-13.

Believe or not we do have a few young/youngish members on the site....

*takes off Dad hat*

My dad hat was on and that's why the original duel won't be seen. I assumed we had more than a few young members, so, I censored myself.  No need to thank me or chastise me.. lolCheers!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Grimstonefire - 09-04-2008 02:11 PM

Just to second what Xander said, this is a 'duel', but people shouldn't be put off entering because they think the idea is vastly different to the single mini Golden Hats we've done in the past...

At the most basic level you just paint a CD and include any other WH model you fancy.  You could even paint another CD and have them training!  As long as they fit within the size/ model restrictions the limit is your imagination.

If you don't fancy gluing models down to a larger base because you want them based on 20mm bases later, just drill some holes and glue wires in.  Then you just drill the holes in the larger base and sit the models in the photos (no glue).  Easy.

The free Ork with the most recent WD would make a good Orc Boss...

Just to clarify a point (as Ghrask Dragh asked by pm), the bit on flying models in the size limit basically means that as they are flying there is a chance they may be outside of the 15cm x 15cm x 15cm size limit.  But to allow people to include flying models if they wanted we decided that they are allowed to go beyond the size restriction.

So you can include flying models, but they are the ONLY exception for things allowed outside of the size limit.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Ghrask Dragh - 09-04-2008 04:11 PM

Big Grin Thanks Takes Hat off

This might actually be my first Golden Hat entry, might be Wink

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - WarplockMonkey - 09-09-2008 04:33 PM

Gahhhhh, so many ideas....which one to choose!

Hey, if anyone is in need of any ideas, PM me, i have too many to make myself!

- Warplock

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Snotling - 09-11-2008 07:55 AM

hm, diorama? i think this GH will be without me again, i don't like dioramas Happy
i like the GH, because you can enter with the minis of your army. if it is about creating a sorcerer, you add a new sorcerer to your army, if it's about slave, make a new slave unit, so the the army grows with every GH. for a diorama i would have to stop my army project, even if i just build a scenic base to glue some minis on Happy
i thought, the idea behind the first GHs was, to make something "new" to inspire the community how to convert and evolve the new Chaosdwarfs. so why a diorama, why no Bull Centaures or Warmaschines? even terrain would be more inspiring...
but hey, i don't want to complain, it's just my humble opinion. love the GH and will watch this one with great interesst, like allways...
good luck Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - cornixt - 09-11-2008 08:28 AM

You could just make a warmachine and put two models on the base fighting

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Pyro Stick - 09-11-2008 08:35 AM

Snotling Wrote:
hm, diorama? i think this GH will be without me again, i don't like dioramas Happy
i like the GH, because you can enter with the minis of your army. if it is about creating a sorcerer, you add a new sorcerer to your army, if it's about slave, make a new slave unit, so the the army grows with every GH. for a diorama i would have to stop my army project, even if i just build a scenic base to glue some minis on Happy
i thought, the idea behind the first GHs was, to make something "new" to inspire the community how to convert and evolve the new Chaosdwarfs. so why a diorama, why no Bull Centaures or Warmaschines? even terrain would be more inspiring...
but hey, i don't want to complain, it's just my humble opinion. love the GH and will watch this one with great interesst, like allways...
good luck Takes Hat off

I totally agree. Thats why i always suggest a unit or a rank of something or a warmachine so i was quite dissapointed by the diorama decision when there was a thread asking everyone what they wanted for the next GH and the results were a war machine or bull centaurs. Im not really complaining either as im painting 40k instead of fantasy at the moment and i think that this gh will have a lot of cool entries, just probably not as many as the previous ones.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 09-11-2008 10:12 AM

It seems that many people cannot see the forest for the trees!  I must say I am disappointed that people cannot get beyond the "diorama" aspect of this competition.  I thought both Grim and I explained how easy it was to enter the competition using miniatures that you WILL use in your army.

I am not sure how else to explain how to make a duel without repeating myself, but it frankly seems necessary.

Let me give an example of a possible entry I could make:

Xander's Mind Wrote:
Hrm... I really need a metal sorcerer for my army, it would be nice if the Golden Hat could motivate me to do this!

A duel?! Cool, I can create my metal sorcerer for my army and put him on a normal slotta base, and then place him on a small scenic base where he can be attacking some other foe!  I'll just slot him in the scenic base like I would a warmachine crewman onto a base holding a warmachine, and I can still remove him when I need to use him in my army.  

Yay!

Hopefully this doesn't sound condescending or anything!  Perhaps people are reading the first post of this thread and nothing else... in which case I will update the first page with the above!

Happy

Now let's see an entry SNOTLING AND PYRO! We'll have no more of your mamby-pamby excuses! Wink

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-11-2008 10:48 AM

Snotling is out? Cool! Now us meer mortals stand a chance! Wink Now if I can just arrange an "accident" to keep Ishkur out... Mmmmmmwwwwwwwwaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaa!

Seriously guys, think about it for a minute. WD has featured things like this plenty of times with minis that can be removed from the scenic base.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 09-11-2008 10:54 AM

Pyro Stick Wrote:
I totally agree. Thats why i always suggest a unit or a rank of something or a warmachine so i was quite dissapointed by the diorama decision...

For your entry you could have a rank of 5 Chaos Dwarfs  placed on a scenic base attacking a Troll, or an Ogre, or a Slayer.

You could have a war machine crew and war machine placed on a scenic base as the crew defend the war machine from some Harpies, or Daemons.  The Daemons find the daemon-bound war machine to be an abomination, and are trying to ransack it to help their brethren escape!

The possibilities are virtually endless.

Use your creativity! Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Pyro Stick - 09-11-2008 11:11 AM

I stand by my excuse! I would much rather paint a sorceror or a warmachine on its own and concentrate on its paint job than have to worry about making it into a diorama and include a fancy base (...apart from my mages) and models interacting with each other when its never going to be used as a diorama, apart from this gh, ever again. It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition. I actually do have an idea for an entry so i may still enter. But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 09-11-2008 11:33 AM

Pyro Stick Wrote:
It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition.

How can the Glory of Hashut be pointless? This website is about showing off how cool Chaos Dwarfs can be!  The Golden Hat is a showcase of excellent talent and creativity.  It's not merely an endeavour to facilitate creation of your own army, thought it certainly can be used as such.  Part of the idea of this topic is to show Chaos Dwarfs as they relate to other species in the Warhammer world.  In essence, the theme is to show that Chaos Dwarfs belong in Warhammer, and we are going to show it!  Much of purpose of this website is to promote the acceptance of Chaos Dwarfs to non-Chaos Dwarf players. We want to raise consciousness! We want to say, "Look at these Chaos Dwarfs taking on a Stone Troll!" or "Look at that Herald of Khorne fighting that Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer!" or "Look at that Chaos Dwarf Lord taming that Khorne Juggernaut!" Chaos Dwarfs interacting with other armies and races is what Golden Hat #7 is all about, and I just know we are going to see some very fine entries conveying this theme.

Duels and Open categories have been a part of Golden Demon for a long while. And neither one explicitly requires conversion work.  If you can make a model on a base, you can make ground for the duelers to stand on. Pick two (or more) models that you think look like they could be engaged in a stand off, and paint them up, then make room for them on a larger base.  None of that requires any conversion work beyond deciding what to place the heroes on.

Hopefully I have convinced you of the merit of this topic. Happy

Pyro Stick Wrote:
But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

We did consider that. And we have many GH competitions yet to come. But there are larger goals at CDO than just motivating people to make things for their army.  We also want to inspire people. Have people push their skills.  Show of what our community is capable of.  Ask not what CDO can do for you, ask what you can do for CDO! Anyone can just paint a war machine, or a rank of Blunderbussers, they don't need a competition to do that.  But to have a Blunderbusser firing shrapnel at an Orc Warlord, ripping bits of flesh off him? That takes a little extra community effort.

Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Obsidian - 09-11-2008 11:40 AM

Actually the Duel category is still quite young withing the Golden Demon competitions but okay... Tongue

The only way I might enter is if I can come up with a strong enough concept that can also be used in the Polish Golden Demon I might attent later this year.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Canix - 09-11-2008 11:56 AM

Great idea for a competition .Time is always of the essence for me but i will try to have a go the idea is there just the excecution(he he ) that i may find hardRespect to the Hat!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Ghrask Dragh - 09-11-2008 01:58 PM

There has been 6 Golden Hats for single miniatures, it's time for something a bit different I think!!

Also if we are just going to stick to army entries the competition it will have no longevity, it would be over a lot sooner than it could be.

Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-11-2008 02:30 PM

I have no problem at all if many people stay away from this one. All the more glory for me! bwahah Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - two_heads_talking - 09-11-2008 02:37 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
I have no problem at all if many people stay away from this one. All the more glory for me! bwahah Hashut!

gah.. I have no chance against your sculpting prowess.  Perhaps my stuff will look cr*ppy against your magnificant works..  (my previous enthusiasm has been deflated a bit.. )Sad

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 09-12-2008 01:12 AM

I likely won't have time to enter into this but I have a couple points to make. (yah, I'm gonna speak my mind)

a) how is a diorama much different from basing a regular model? instead of a small rock, take a slightly larger rock. paint, dry brush... BOOM! rock. almost as mother nature intended.
b) diorama's are the COOLEST, I remember I made a sick prehistoric scenery in grade 2... and then in grade 3 medieval stuff. wicked. relive your youth people! feel young again!
c) Pyro: not everyone IS building a CD army, so a GH for a rank or multiple CDs can be more daunting than one that allows a custom made CD duelling with perhaps an already painted mini from another army. That seems like a great compromise to me.
d) THT: lol.
e) Ishkur, you have no more room for glory. you already have 5 medals Tongue

um, yah, ok. floor is open to discussion (freakin' election season... gets everyone in the debating mood. bother)

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - clam - 09-12-2008 04:01 AM

I just have to agree with Pyro and Snotling here about purpose of GH. So, I hope we could go back to basis’ after this one.

Duel and diorama categories are cool – and I’m looking forward to see some great entries here. I’m just not contributing with one of them – sorry!

And why? As I have no use for a show piece to be sitting on my shelf – I need troops to be fielded at the battlefield.

And yes, I can hear what you guys are saying (GFS, Xander and more) – just make the models on slottabases or pin them in so they can be removed – but that’s not the really the point – is it?

To me cool duels/dioramas should be a pleasure to the eye, showing beautiful terrain and very dynamic posed models fighting – and apart from the terrain-thing that’s the big problem for me. These extreme posed figures would be useless game vice, as they will never rank up in a unit. Don’t need warriors, heroes etc. that can’t join in.

So yes, I could just take two random models, stick them to a diorama base and call it a duel – but I wouldn’t be pleased with it – nor would you. So, no Clam-entry at GH7, sorry – but good luck to you all.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 09-12-2008 05:55 AM

Take one star off sojorn !!!!!!for talking about election!!!!!! it non stop all the time bull.
Making me go mad!!!!!!!!!!will trade places with some one  
Well it sad that people are dropping out . but it great for some of lesses artist!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hashut's Blessing - 09-12-2008 06:51 AM

You dn't even HAVE to make a terrain base. Just position two models within the space limit and take the picture or place on a movement tray or make a scenic base which you later put your favoruite bolt thrower on or something. Also, as for saying the interacting models is putting people off: use the BfSP troll, stick a blunderbusser facing it's front and it looks like it's throwing the stone at him and getting shot at... Both can then later be used in the army..
I'm surprised to see so many people disliking this idea (not that your opinions are wrong, I just thought it'd be warmed tomuch more).

I hope those that aren't entering reconsider because their work is very nice...

On that note: I understand about those that lack time as well.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 09-12-2008 08:15 AM

Pyro Stick Wrote:
I stand by my excuse! I would much rather paint a sorceror or a warmachine on its own and concentrate on its paint job than have to worry about making it into a diorama and include a fancy base (...apart from my mages) and models interacting with each other when its never going to be used as a diorama, apart from this gh, ever again. It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition. I actually do have an idea for an entry so i may still enter. But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

Kera foehunter Wrote:
Take one star off sojorn !!!!!!for talking about election!!!!!! it non stop all the time bull.
Making me go mad!!!!!!!!!!will trade places with some one  
Well it sad that people are dropping out . but it great for some of lesses artist!!!

She's talking about the Canadian Election, not your American one. Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 09-12-2008 08:51 AM

Stupid [Canadian] elections. *grumble* my stars stay put Kera! Tongue

what if.... I'm just spitballin' here... people just made 2 models, placed them on a piece of paper, and with the help of some markers/crayons DREW a terrain base? at the end, crumple it up, no harm done. hehe n_n

If I can find the time, I really want to get involved in this one, but, I dunno. I have some ideas floating around.... *floats away*

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hashut's Blessing - 09-12-2008 09:40 AM

Sojourn, effectively, that's what i was saying without the effort of drawing and/or crumpling Wink

Join in Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 09-12-2008 10:45 AM

Sorry !!!!!!!!i did not know !!!you guys are copy cats
Sojorn you have plenty of time !!!! don't make me beat these guys alone
we could be first and second

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - two_heads_talking - 09-12-2008 11:29 AM

I like doing different things.. doing the same old paint competitions is like driving a nail into a board. AFter the 6th or 7th nail, your hand goes numb and you mind goes blank.  

I see nothing wrong with doing categories that not everyone is interested in. For cr*p sake, could you imagine trying to do something that we all had to agree upon? What's the saying?  

You can please some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-12-2008 12:53 PM

I must admit that I'm in the same boat as HB and mystified as to why this is getting resistance? It not like you can't use models that you already have or use them I. Your army once finished.

THT- you hit the nail on the head. I not asking anyone to do this if they don't want to. I think it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I look at it this way: it increases my chances of winning.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - GRNDL - 09-12-2008 07:45 PM

Either enter or don't. The Powers that Be have spoken and put their efforts into organizing the contest.

Dwarves don't whine about this or that. They do.

Get building...

or not...

(Ok, SOME dwarves grumble, but they still do. And I'm not talking about Dawi Zharr.  Take it out on the slaves, and then build)

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Vexxus - 09-12-2008 08:07 PM

Willmark Wrote:
I must admit that I'm in the same boat as HB and mystified as to why this is getting resistance? It not like you can't use models that you already have or use them I. Your army once finished.

THT- you hit the nail on the head. I not asking anyone to do this if they don't want to. I think it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I look at it this way: it increases my chances of winning.

Mystified? Really??

For starters, the models used for this contest do not contribute towards the assembly of your Chaos Dwarf Army, because to truly be competitive you need to put together an interactive set of models on scenery. In EVERY previous Golden Hat competition, the contest involved making something you could easily use for your army, and in most cases wanted to have a brilliant conversion and paint job on.

Secondly, you ARE asking people to do this. In this thread we have seen multiple occasions of people dictating how one might be able to enter the contest 'in and around' the mangled guidelines provided. By this I mean to say that in many posts it seems you are looking for lots of entries, not quality entries that fit a very specific set of guidelines. In fact, the only 'rule' that has not been waivered on is the dimensions, and they are the most ridiculous of all! Why would you put size restrictions on this competition, and then be loosey goosey with "oh they don't have to be in combat" or "keep it PG". The size limitation is very unfortunate, as it needlessly stifles creativity and hard work for no apparent reason whatsoever, save perhaps a fear that someone else would put more time and effort in, and make something bigger. Do you mean to say that bigger is better in all cases? Ridiculous. In back to back breaths we are told that "there is no limit but our creativity", and "oh, by the way, heres what we decided to make happen for .... wait for it... consistency. . ."

Thirdly, this contest clearly involves painting non-CD models. Golden Hat contests have ALWAYS been great because they worked towards our goal of adding to our CD army, always that is... until now. An Artisans Contest by any other name, would be just as obviously an Artisans Contest. The AC was the outlet for branching beyond the CD standard army list, which is clearly (at least in part) what is happening here.

On a final note, I don't know why people get bent out of shape when others have opinions that differ from their own. No one is hacking the site, or being destructive. People who are voicing their concerns do so such that their views are known, and can be taken into consideration in the future. It is shocking to me when people are so completely blown away when someone voices their opinion.

Cheers
Vex

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 09-12-2008 08:37 PM

ah Vex, I can't be as awe-inspiring as that, but here's what I know...

aside from me, I'd say many people have other armies that they can steal the duel-ee from. Make a CD that WILL fit in your CD army clobbering the poop out of it, and bam, it's done. sure it's simple, but make a stellar CD figure that you can be proud to include in you CD army!

there is no limit but your creativity, but in an effort to TRY to make the diorama's somewhat comparable (and picture-takeable) the 15-cubed dimensions (which were relaxed for flying models, correct?) seem reasonable. I mean, someone could make a duelling diorama with their 2,500pt or 6,000pt or what-have-you army. how will that compete against my measly 2-character duel? it's hard to say, but I don't want to find out! lol if only Kera and I enter, I might have a chance Wink

But Kera, you know how to get me interested, so for you, I will try to enter Wink. And seeing as I'm not committed to any army in particular, making a CD or not making a CD doesn't matter. If people don't want to participate, that's fine. it is. I guess I see some reasons as more of a "I need to give a reason" rather than "I have a true reason". *shrugs*

hopefully, next time everyone will be happier with the choice, but THT is right, you can't please everyone. So remember if you're annoyed with this topic, maybe the one you're suggesting is upsetting just as many people. Like, why is there no "prettiest female model" GH? hrm? yah, I don't know either. Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-12-2008 09:12 PM

Vexus-

- None of the Staff is dictating anything, period. Either you enter or you don't; its that simple, there are no hidden agendas here regarding this.
- I'd like both quality and quantity in ANY Golden Hat competition, regardless of topic, regardless of ultimate use.
- Where did we say that Golden Hat is always about "X"?
- As far as requirements this was consensus amongst the Staff.
- Artisans-like? Definitely your perspective and you are entitled to it.
- PG-13 is stifling? I have no problems with R rated let me assure you; however there are a few younger members on the site, merely something to consider.
- No one is getting bent of shape (at least it doesn't look like it from the Staff perspective) about anyone having different opinions. YMMV.

As far as the rules being confusing: We tried to make this as open as possible.  We are simply telling everyone to keep it in certain dimensions and include some chaos dwarfs. Other then that its up to the modeler in question how they want to create something, this is the most open contest we have ever done, we figured turning you guys loose to create anything you wanted would be a good thing... apparently not.

In short feel free to criticize anything you want to, no one is going to tell you any different, but in all honestly on many points you're not even close to what the Staff has discussed. We not trying to stifle anyone, but rather encourage everyone to think about this in a different way. Our follow-up comments were simply to clarify, not confuse or even contradict.

In closing what is sad to think that we put forth this contest with the idea of letting people create a scene of anything they wanted to highlighting Chaos Dwarfs,  and instead we are discussing the merits of giving people too much free reign.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Vexxus - 09-12-2008 09:28 PM

Willmark Wrote:
Vexus-
  We are simply telling everyone to keep it in certain dimensions and include some chaos dwarfs.

Wilmark-

Certain dimensions makes this contest too much about the base/diorama and not enough about the CDs. This isn't only my opinion. If I wanted to make a battle of 2-6 minis on a 4 foot by 4 foot board, would that really give me an edge? The simple answer is no, because I would still only get 4 photos, and the focus would be on the models fighting not the base. What it WOULD do, is give more freedom to the artist to create something amazing for the contest, that they can also actually want to use afterward. To put a size restriction is pointless, and yes, stifling.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 09-13-2008 05:20 AM

join in or don't !!!! if you don't like this contest
don't join in!!!!!! there are all types of site out there join in on one of there
Contest i do !!
now i now why we don't do a monthy contest!!!!
like other sites!
Btw the staff has alway did a good job having these before
thats RULES!!!!! that all i have to say about that!!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Vexxus - 09-13-2008 07:05 AM

Kera foehunter Wrote:
join in or don't !!!! if you don't like this contest
don't join in!!!!!! there are all types of site out there join in on one of there
Contest i do !!
now i now why we don't do a monthy contest!!!!
like other sites!
Btw the staff has alway did a good job having these before
thats RULES!!!!! that all i have to say about that!!!!

Don't worry Kera, I am not upset here, nor am I complaining. Wilmark was dumbfounded as to why there was resistance, so I was attempting to summarize some common reasons why, as well as add my two cents, so that he might better grasp a standpoint that is not his own. I have already said I was passing on this one, like other people, so at this point its just a matter of self expression -- I am not looking to be a downer!

Long live CDO!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 09-14-2008 06:23 AM

Actually I said "mystified" not "dumbfounded" as in puzzled. In a round about way I'm simply trying to get people see it a different light...

As far as getting that people have a different viewpoint on this... I get it.

You do have one part correct thou:

Vexxus Wrote:
Long live CDO!

Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 09-19-2008 03:46 PM

i'm omost done !!! all i have to do is paint!!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Vanvlak - 09-20-2008 02:31 AM

Ok, I have to enter 6mm scale models in the Epicomp I'm organizing, I have a steam aeroplane modelling 'duel' on Lead Adventures, I have a cat batting old plastic ogres off the UPS - ERIKA! leave those alone! - (er, sorry) -  what the heck, I'll try to join in this one too. Pity said cat wouldn't fit in the allowed size (as if she'd stay put for the photo). Ah well, I can safely say my entry will not be 'Cat batting Bighats'. Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - WarplockMonkey - 10-01-2008 02:09 PM

Well folks, my entry isssss FINISHED!

Just got a few more tweaks to do..and ill be sending up pictures to the MODs!

I must say, i think this idea has been the best GH so far. I dont collect ANY army, i just sculpt as i please, so this competition has really motivated me!

- Warplock

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-01-2008 02:12 PM

I realy need to get this project in a higher gear Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 10-01-2008 03:33 PM

I've got my started, slowly but surely it is coming together.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 10-01-2008 04:30 PM

i have to do some high lights and i will be done!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 10-02-2008 12:25 AM

I'm eager to see these entries! I can't wait Happy

oh, and I should probably work on my entry too....

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hashut's Blessing - 10-05-2008 07:23 PM

Not had time to work on this so far due to university and moving in etc.  However, I'm quite sure I know what I'm going to do Wink

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 10-05-2008 10:10 PM

I'm hoping to have the base done this week. Then next I should have the figures done, leaving the following week for painting... Hmmmm

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-06-2008 12:44 AM

I hope I can finish the base and the figures this week, so I have some more time for painting

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Auretious Taak - 10-06-2008 09:55 AM

I want to do one, I have the BEST IDEA EVER, but the question is: do I have to do a Chaos Dwarf or can I use a Black Orc as my main Subject?

Also, if the base is a pain, just have the scenic base then have shots of the models without the scenic base. Easily done.

Auretious Taak.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 10-06-2008 10:22 AM

The way I look at it is this.  This is a Chaos Dwarf forum, people are looking to see Chaos Dwarfs, and will likely vote on models that look Chaos Dwarfy.  So if this Black Orc clearly belongs to a Chaos Dwarf army, it will look good to most people. Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-17-2008 08:18 AM

I'm almost ready, I just need to do some painting and I'm ready.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 10-17-2008 08:32 AM

I need to get painting too, my conversions are mostly done. Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hashut's Blessing - 10-17-2008 12:41 PM

I don;t think I'm going to get a set in Sad The move to uni, trying to sort everything out, the lack of funds and unmade models... I'll do what i can, but I'm not sure it;ll be able to be entered. See how it goes...

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 10-18-2008 01:00 AM

I away for a week starting Sunday... I know I won't have time to get anything together =\

hopefully next time!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 10-19-2008 06:14 AM

im done !!!!!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hashut's Blessing - 10-19-2008 01:50 PM

Meany Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - GRNDL - 10-19-2008 09:17 PM

Well, I *WAS* entering a model into the competition until someone decided to ask for clarification on the rules and the clarifications ixnayed my idea.  (thank you Ishkur, grumble)  It was the  Maximum 2-6 model one.

Ah well, I might just enter it anyway, just for laffs. Whats the worst that can happen?

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 10-20-2008 06:29 PM

so how soon can we send them in
i know the due date the 30th

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-21-2008 02:57 AM

as soon as your ready

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Hashut's Blessing - 10-21-2008 11:07 AM

Send them to Golden Hat when they're done. Which we know they are. Sorry all, I'm out Sad

EDIT: Stupid RL.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Lifer - 10-26-2008 01:12 PM

I was going to take part for this but I haven't had enough time to finish my work. Well, maybe i'll still finish the diorama just for fun... Some day... Good luck to all who enter!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - GRNDL - 10-26-2008 01:21 PM

I think there should be an "also ran, but did not finish" category, so those who are behind can still show off their stuff. I'm suggesting this simply because I will probably fall into it. Sad

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Pyro Stick - 10-26-2008 02:13 PM

Suprisingly, Ive finished an entry as well.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-27-2008 10:28 AM

I just need to take some photos

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Grimstonefire - 10-27-2008 11:47 AM

I'm cutting this one fine.  Only just finished constructing it...  It should be pretty quick to paint though as I only went for 2 combatants.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Xander - 10-27-2008 11:52 AM

I have my figures primes and my base set to go.  I am going to try to plow through the painting this week. Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 10-27-2008 11:06 PM

Pyro Stick Wrote:
Suprisingly, Ive finished an entry as well.

holy moley... I go to Florida, and come back... must admit, I *did* find it chilly, I just had no idea that "somewhere" had frozen over, Pyro Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 10-29-2008 05:55 AM

one more day !!!!!!better get them in !!!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-29-2008 03:00 PM

Not gonna be in this time. I know it's been a while by now since I last participated, but I just didn't get any good idea at all for this time's topic.

And besides, there is no room for more medals on my broad chest anyway Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-29-2008 03:27 PM

I just need to take some photos Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - GRNDL - 10-29-2008 03:42 PM

I'm going to be cutting it really close, if I get it finished at all. I lost last night because I've come down with a cold and felt like I was going to make a terrain piece out of the contents of my stomach.  Have most of the modelling done, but none of the painting and there's still some things to work out.  

If things don't go well, I'm going to have to cover up mistakes with random, glue-on beards.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 10-29-2008 09:13 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
Not gonna be in this time. I know it's been a while by now since I last participated, but I just didn't get any good idea at all for this time's topic.

And besides, there is no room for more medals on my broad chest anyway Cheers!

lol, Ishkur! you show off!!! but... do you have gold stars? no. Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 10-29-2008 10:40 PM

Reminder everyone deadline is 11:59 EST on Thursday October 30th, we have some in already so good job for those who have already submitted.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Grimstonefire - 10-30-2008 10:44 AM

So EST, that would make that -5 hours from GMT?  As in 04:59 GMT on October 31st?

I might be needing that... Happy

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 10-30-2008 11:03 AM

Works for me.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-30-2008 11:06 AM

already send it in Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Grimstonefire - 10-30-2008 12:29 PM

I've probably painted about 40% of mine so far...

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 10-30-2008 04:52 PM

so when can we see them !!! *Kera sits and waits *!!!!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - furrie - 10-30-2008 05:31 PM

I think over two weeks or something Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - GRNDL - 10-31-2008 12:01 AM

Well, I got my entry done, but I pushed the deadline very close. I literally hit "Send Message" at 11:59pm on my clock, so dunno if it got through in time.

It seems like everything goes wrong when you're coming close to a deadline - I lost one of the pieces, my mouse stopped working, firefox crapped out.. LoL. Ah well, it was a comedy of errors and kinda fun. Its the last time I try to adjust photos in Mac OS Preview, too.

Good luck to all the entrants. I can feel the anticipation of seeing the competition building already!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 10-31-2008 01:17 AM

this is my favourite part now... the unveiling!!! =D I can't wait to see what everyone has come up with!

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - clam - 10-31-2008 04:30 AM

Yes, that's the best part. So now let us all see, what people have done. So Xander and Willmark - back to work Wink

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 10-31-2008 07:10 AM

Hehe I'll try to get something together this weekend. I should have some time Saturday night.

I did look the other day there are some very impressive entries last time I looked.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Obsidian - 10-31-2008 07:55 AM

Very exited what will come! Please hurry with the pics! Wink

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Pyro Stick - 10-31-2008 10:01 AM

So how many people entered in the end?

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Willmark - 10-31-2008 11:27 AM

You'll have to wait until I post them Happy that goes double for you Sojourn.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Grimstonefire - 11-01-2008 10:10 AM

Not as many as we would have hoped, but all are good ones.

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Kera foehunter - 11-01-2008 01:50 PM

so if there are less figures enter than that meen they should not take no time to post them!!!
*after kera was done talking a mob is starting to forming !!*

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competition - Sojourn - 11-03-2008 01:15 AM

Willmark Wrote:
You'll have to wait until I post them Happy that goes double for you Sojourn.

double!? :O

I do like to be in the know..... *looks around suspiciously...*