CDO Forums
Golden Hat #14 - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Golden Hat #14 (/showthread.php?tid=8729)

Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-05-2011 04:45 PM

Welcome to the 14th Golden Hat competition of Chaos Dwarfs Online!

Subject Matter
The subject for this one is quite open, you can create *something* Chaos Dwarf themed on a base size 40mm - 50mm (square, round or a hex base if you really want).

It must represent one of the following:

Monster (ridden or unridden)
Monstrous Infantry
Monstrous Cavalry

Just to be clear on the wording here, it must 'represent' one of these, so if you did something that looked more like a daemon engine but in game would be acceptable as a 'counts as' version of one of the above that would also be fine.  You don't just have to do a taurus/lamassu/ogre. Wink  Note as well that it can be anything CD themed; from RH, a fanlist, or your own imagination.

It cannot be:

A duel or diorama
Infantry
Cavalry
Warbeast
War machine
Chariot
Swarm...

Basing

Between 40mm and 50mm (square, round, or some other shape within this limit).

Display bases are allowed

However, diorama style bases are not allowed.

You cannot have models on separate bases.  

The full rules for basing can be found here.

Particulars
Due Date: 11:59 PM February 28th 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Subject Matter:  Create something on a base between 40mm and 50mm (square or round).

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

What is the deadline?
Once again same basic premise as previous Golden Hats; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM February 28th 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (Around 7 weeks to complete your entry).

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. In order to avoid problems, I "highly advise" that entrants do not wait until the very last minute to submit their entries...

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the internet.  Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Rightly take your place in the Golden Hat Hall of Fame, where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona *
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 50 people enter we award 50 slaves to each person who entered.

*= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

Entries will count towards a veteran medal.

As usual once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting. And as always if there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.  Ideally pm one of the staff as it's less likely to be missed.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-05-2011 04:48 PM

I thought I'd get this started as it's for a big creature and it'll probably take some time to finish.  Pretty much 2 full months.

Note as well that display bases ARE allowed.  Just thought I'd make that totally clear incase anyone missed it. Wink

*cracks whip*

The banner may be replaced with something more appropriate at some stage, I just fudged together 2 old ones. Happy

RE: Golden Hat #14 - clam - 01-05-2011 05:00 PM

A monster - wow Big Grin Would never have guessed that - lol

- and display bases are allowed? Are you sure Tongue

Jokes aside, think its a great idea having an open category. The last few has been rather strict, so this is a nice change. Great job, Grim Takes Hat off

Looking forward seeing what the creative minds of the site can get out of this. Myself?? - will have to dive into the lead mountain and find some classics suitable for this one.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-05-2011 05:08 PM

Well, we did listen to the feedback.  Open and something big.

Seeing as how this effectively covers 3 different themes, I hope you guys won't mind if we run this contest exactly the same in a year or two.  That was something we discussed, because it was so broad people might think it was just too repetitive if we do something that covers any part of it again.

The display bases we discussed, and our feeling was that on a single infantry sized mini it would be much more important than on a huge mini.  Something we may consider for future contests (the impact of allowing it).

RE: Golden Hat #14 - clam - 01-05-2011 05:29 PM

I see no problem doing something similar again - like I would like to see War Machines return at some point.

And for display bases. I think single human sized miniatures can benefit from a display base - and present a miniature better. Some size restrictions would be needed - as we don't want to see some 4'x4' gaming tables, here.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hashut's Blessing - 01-05-2011 07:29 PM

I just have to decide what to do for this one, lol Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Xander - 01-05-2011 07:57 PM

*rubs hands enthusiastically*

Time to make something awesome!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - gIL^ - 01-05-2011 11:43 PM

Just to clarify, I can't mount my monster on a chariot base? My entrance would have to be a chariot base or nothing, It's just tooo big!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Fequiil - 01-06-2011 01:46 AM

one thing though, the hall of fame doesn't work properly...

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Obsidian - 01-06-2011 05:13 AM

No ideas whatsoever... Sad

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-06-2011 06:54 AM

@Gil
No it has to be on a 40-50mm base.  

Depending on how big it is you might be able to put a slab of rock ontop to put it on?  Might look a bit strange but it could work?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Borador - 01-06-2011 10:52 AM

looking forward to seeing the entries! Guess I cant enter my vomiting demon cannon anymore haha, already posted some very early wips =[ might come up with something else though so I can still enter, this one needs some thinking =D
great idea, very open subject, and I just love seeing some monsterous creatures!

good luck to all who are going to enter this competition, may the best Chaos Dwarf win!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - furrie - 01-06-2011 11:00 AM

Need to think hard on an entry, but great subject. Not sure if I will finish a mini on time, but I'll do my best Tongue

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 01-06-2011 01:09 PM

This looks like a job for ....GREENSTUFF!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 01-06-2011 06:41 PM

"What, just a 50mm base max??" asked me my forge's overseer, eyes wide in shock.
I shrugged and said "just make it a bonsai monster, then."
:p

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 01-06-2011 09:08 PM

Yeah, I was looking at my friend's Stegadon and it's mounted on a 50mm wide by 100mm deep base. Was the Lammasu and Taurus really only mounted on 50x50mm?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - cornixt - 01-06-2011 09:58 PM

They were originally on 40mm bases, they only went up to 50mm when GW tried to distinguish between smaller monsters like ogres and larger ridden monsters like manticores, sometime in 6th edition.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 01-07-2011 05:20 AM

Cool, this will be awesome. Two months should be enough time I hope, Ill have to put some other projects on hold... Happy

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Redhammer - 01-07-2011 05:21 AM

Well, I think I may try to throw my (big) hat in the ring on this one. Time to take a trip to te paint store!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Baggronor - 01-07-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:
No ideas whatsoever...

Shock Taurus? Lammasu? War Golem? Lord riding War Golem? Lord riding Juggernaut? Daemonic Engine? Tunnelling engine? Bull Centaur Lord? Greater Daemon of Hashut? Kollossus? CD Anvil of Doom? Chaos Dwarf War Pub Wink? Loads of stuff that it could be Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 01-07-2011 08:15 AM

Baggronor Wrote:

Quote:
No ideas whatsoever...

Shock Taurus? Lammasu? War Golem? Lord riding War Golem? Lord riding Juggernaut? Daemonic Engine? Tunnelling engine? Bull Centaur Lord? Greater Daemon of Hashut? Kollossus? CD Anvil of Doom? Chaos Dwarf War Pub Wink? Loads of stuff that it could be Cheers!

The info that

Quote:
It cannot be:

A duel or diorama
Infantry
Cavalry
Warbeast
War machine
Chariot
Swarm...

makes it not that easy.. It could not be a Kollossus since that would be a war machine, it cannot be a Bull Centaur Lord since that would make it cavalry, right? I'm not sure what qualifies as a war beast, but I would guess a Golem would not be one of those..

RE: Golden Hat #14 - cornixt - 01-07-2011 09:19 AM

It could be a small Kollosus (although that sounds like a contradiction in terms), mechanical/daemonic monster thingy, or a golem too. Warbeasts are things like regular giant wolves and horses.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 01-07-2011 09:32 AM

so war-beast = 1 Wound mount?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-07-2011 10:31 AM

There are no height limits on being a monster, so you can make a kollossus if you want.

Monsters of course don't have 'crew'... But you could justify a single engineer guy as some sort character and make it a ridden monster.

Technically I believe the hellcannon is classed as a monster (?)  Too lazy to check the FAQ.  but as you cannot have models on separate bases you'd need to find a very inventive way to get everything on 50mm base. Wink

A monstrous cavalry BC lord would be fine.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Thommy H - 01-07-2011 11:14 AM

The Hellcannon is a Monster. The handlers in a unit with the Monster and Handlers special rule (and it is a special rule, not a Unit Type) are almost completely decorative in nature, and only matter in that when they're removed, the Monster has to take a monster reaction test (they also contribute to close combat, but their actual position is irrelevant). Mounting them on the same base is perfectly permissible, and so ought to be allowed here too - the model would be a Monster with the Monster and Handlers rule, that's all.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Baggronor - 01-07-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:
Technically I believe the hellcannon is classed as a monster (?)

Yes, it deploys and behaves as a monster and handlers. War machines have crew and all those fiddly rules about different Toughness values for ranged and melee hits, 6 enemy models can attack them in melee, cowering instead of fleeing and so forth.

Quote:
It could not be a Kollossus since that would be a war machine, it cannot be a Bull Centaur Lord since that would make it cavalry, right?

Well, the Kollossus would only be a war machine in terms of fluff; in terms of rules, I would imagine it would be treated similarly to a Hellcannon, which is also a war machine in fluff, but a monster in the game. As for the BC Lord, I was thinking of him being Monstrous Infantry/Monstrous Beast/Monstrous Cavalry like in Thommy's book (or like the WF ones, if rumours are to be believed), as everything else on a 40-50mm base is one of those. And a Golem would surely be Monstrous Infantry.

Quote:
so war-beast = 1 Wound mount?

War Beasts are things like Dire Wolves and Chaos Hounds, animal units on cavalry bases, mainly introduced to stop them being classed as cavalry and causing confusion. Sometimes they can be used as mounts, in which case they become cavalry, so this doesn't include things like Juggernauts or a Pegasus as they are Monstrous Beasts and are on 40-50mm bases, regardless of their Wounds. They also get Stomp and all that.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-07-2011 12:13 PM

I would actually be extremely impressed if anyone managed to fit a hellcannon onto a 50mm base.

The handlers thing does raise an interesting point.  I specifically said it all had to be on one base, which almost all the time the handlers are not.  So people would only be mounting them on this for fun or leaving them out entirely.

If anyone is wondering, just doing a random warmachine and classing it as a 'Hellcannon', i.e. a monster is not really in the spirit of the rules. Wink  Infact unless it clearly is a hellcannon model I won't allow it to be entered as it's clearly just a warmachine.

Some sort of daemon beast gun platform monster creature thing would be fine, just not a sneaky attempt to enter a death rocket somehow.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 01-07-2011 12:23 PM

Grimstonefire Wrote:
I would actually be extremely impressed if anyone managed to fit a hellcannon onto a 50mm base.

Pointed straight up? Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Thommy H - 01-07-2011 12:27 PM

It seems like a "war machine" that is visibly daemonic would be in the spirit of the rules, Grim, since the idea of Daemonic Engines (in whatever form they might come...) counting as Monsters and Handlers is now fairly entrenched. Indeed, I'm not sure where you'd draw the line between a cannon that's a daemon and a golem-type creature. They would both presumably be half-beast, half-machine in nature, right? As long as it looks pretty monstrous, like the Hellcannon, it ought to fit the criteria.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hashut's Blessing - 01-07-2011 12:43 PM

As long as it's clearly a monster that happens to have a shooting attack, rather than a warmachine that has hints of monster to it, no problems really. Obviously, there's subjectivity with that, so if you're worried, avoid that sort of thing Wink

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Zanko - 01-10-2011 03:37 PM

I have a quite cool idea ... imo! Wink

Yesterday I started with the conversion work - I'm pleased so far but I'm not sure how to paint the stuff ... !

I will see ...

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - vulcanologist - 01-10-2011 04:01 PM

Hmmm... I think I have the germ of an idea!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Blue in VT - 01-10-2011 04:59 PM

Mad i have to say I'm a bit stumped on this one...with what I have in hand I'm not sure I can find something that fits with my mental image of what my Chaos Dwarf Force is all about...Unsure

Blue

RE: Golden Hat #14 - ingtar_shinowa - 01-10-2011 08:03 PM

So my squig riding Chaos Lord is out?!!!?!!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-10-2011 08:12 PM

A chaos dwarf on a giant squig however...  Who am I kidding. Big Grin

Incidently, as always if anyone is planning on entering with something converted it would be nice if you took some pics before undercoating.  Not that we need to see them for your entry or anything, but these things are always interesting to see in blogs afterwards.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - gIL^ - 01-12-2011 07:52 PM

Yea i got nothing, 50mm is to small.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 01-12-2011 11:19 PM

gIL^ Wrote:
Yea i got nothing, 50mm is to small.

You can fit all kinds of goodness on a 50mm base Wink

... just maybe not on the scale of the Hellcannon unless you work upwards instead of outwards.  I'm reminded of the Hellcannon by Ibis, which I think could have just about fit on a 50mm base with a little effort:

~N

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 01-13-2011 05:46 AM

Not seen that cannon before.
with a bit of work, that could even be a mech-taurus!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-13-2011 10:51 AM

That is an awesome model.  Gets my vote! (wait a second...)

It's also a good example of a monster that happens to have a war machine type attack, rather than a warmachine that happens to look a tiny bit like a monster.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 01-13-2011 10:55 AM

so as long as it look like a monster and has say 40% machine bits showing, say arms, maybe a leg.

It's hard to judge the balance really. Even harder to try and describe (for me anyway)

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Kered - 01-13-2011 11:52 AM

Nicodemus:
I am SO glad those are already posted on this site.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - AGPO - 01-13-2011 09:02 PM

To draw an analogy from 40k - if this competition was for Chaos Space Marines, if you entered a Defiler, that's fine. If you entered a Land Raider with daemonic possession, then it would not be.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Border Reiver - 01-14-2011 10:01 AM

And the work has begun - and I've finally found a use for the duplicate slayer!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hazkar - 01-16-2011 04:32 PM

hmm...sounds to good to not make something
need an cool idea,time to look up the bitz box and hit the store...

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 01-19-2011 02:48 AM

Yay, its time to start painting and I have one month to go... Must be some kinda record! Happy

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hazkar - 01-19-2011 03:07 PM

startet my entry today,think i´ll finish in time

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 01-29-2011 10:08 AM

Im early on this time, just finished my entry! Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat #14 - furrie - 01-29-2011 10:44 AM

Still need to do some work on mine.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - clam - 01-29-2011 11:26 AM

Just started mine Big Grin

Base and monster are ready for priming. Beast handler is converted and primed. So painting can soon begin.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 01-29-2011 04:56 PM

Presumably the handler will be on the same base somehow. Wink  You could just pin him on somewhere temporarily.

I have a range of models on the go, so I should just pick one to finish.  I may just do the base for now and then figure the rest out later.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - clam - 01-30-2011 04:14 PM

Grimstonefire Wrote:
Presumably the handler will be on the same base somehow. Wink  You could just pin him on somewhere temporarily.

I have a range of models on the go, so I should just pick one to finish.  I may just do the base for now and then figure the rest out later.

He'll be on the 50mm base allright - I've learned my lesson Big Grin And game wise he'll be a mounted character anyway.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Blue in VT - 01-30-2011 04:47 PM

Alright I need some advice...Unsure...I am totally ignorant of army lists and the like...So My question is this...can I make a Troll figure fit the requirements somehow?  It is about the only monster that I have right now.

Thanks for your help

Blue

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Alfract - 01-30-2011 05:29 PM

Blue in VT Wrote:
Alright I need some advice...Unsure...I am totally ignorant of army lists and the like...So My question is this...can I make a Troll figure fit the requirements somehow?  It is about the only monster that I have right now.

Thanks for your help

Blue

if it sits on a 40mm base you should be right

RE: Golden Hat #14 - cornixt - 01-30-2011 08:15 PM

Yep, a troll fits fine.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hazkar - 01-31-2011 02:17 PM

almost ready to prime...just some more details and its time for some color

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Blue in VT - 01-31-2011 02:52 PM

Takes Hat off thanks ya'll...sorry for my ignorance...but this way I'm sure I can participate!

Cheers,

Blue

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Zanko - 02-06-2011 03:16 PM

Ready and send! Takes Hat off

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Golder Goldeater - 02-06-2011 04:28 PM

Would a war shrine or a chaotic Anvil of doom do?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 02-06-2011 05:20 PM

Golder Goldeater Wrote:
Would a war shrine or a chaotic Anvil of doom do?

Only if it looks like it could double for a Monster.  War machines and Chariot aren't permitted in this one.  Making a daemonic or monstrous version could work through. Like a constructed monster with part of its body being the anvil (what it would look like I have no idea)!

~N

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Da Crusha - 02-07-2011 01:49 AM

I really want to get started on this one but the model I ordered still hasn't come in. I think I'm just going to have to come up with something different then Unsure.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 02-07-2011 01:54 AM

Just sent mine in, with three weeks to go. Must say that Im a little bit impressed by myself... Happy
Some kind of response from GH, just to know it arrived properly, would be appreciated.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 02-07-2011 02:46 AM

Yikes. With being out of the country for a bit last month and being piled under with work I'm so far behind it's sad... not to mention the fact that the piece I'm thinking I could enter was just something I had already started working on and may not work great as a CD-themed piece.  Oh bother....

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-07-2011 02:14 PM

I'm still in a sculpting frenzy...
I never thought such a rather conservative model would be so much work.  dead
Good thing we still have a few weeks left.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-07-2011 02:19 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
Good thing we still have a few weeks left.

Thank the great Cthulhu we do!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Baggronor - 02-07-2011 03:18 PM

Mmm. Its not looking good Sad Gonna try and get mine finished but its gonna be close.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hashut's Blessing - 02-09-2011 03:33 PM

Ah, buggery, how did I forget about this!?!? Still, at least I have some time left to get something done!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-09-2011 06:45 PM

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
Ah, buggery, how did I forget about this!?!?

Shock You did?? Now that I find truly shocking!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hashut's Blessing - 02-10-2011 09:27 PM

When I say forget, I meant forget to prepare myself for the work of it. Sorry, it should always be assumed that I don't forget the actual existence of the competition Wink

RE: Golden Hat #14 - vulcanologist - 02-11-2011 04:52 AM

Woohoo! Mines finished with time to spare too! Must say I'm quite impressed with myself for once...even managed to paint my 1st 10 sneaky gitz too!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 02-12-2011 02:32 PM

I ran out of Green Stuff on mine (Used a full sleve) and i JUST finished the monster...pity about the rider though.

Can I still enter this as an unriden monster?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-13-2011 08:54 AM

Sure, why not. The instructions on page one are quite clear on that:

Quote:

It must represent one of the following:

Monster (ridden or unridden)
Monstrous Infantry
Monstrous Cavalry

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 02-13-2011 12:43 PM

Yeah, if all goes according to plan I will be painting the monster first then if I have time the rider. Wink

RE: Golden Hat #14 - clam - 02-19-2011 05:48 PM

I'm almost there!!? - need to anchor a few pieces of chain and then glue everything to the 50x50mm base.

And there is still one week left?? - now what happened here?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-19-2011 06:07 PM

Mine still needs finishing, chaining up, more sculpting and painting, basing .. .... yeah a bit more to do

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-20-2011 06:56 AM

Phew, finished sculpting yesterday, model now being basecoated and ready for a paint-a-thon during the next few days. Happy

@Clam: chains, eh? Something need to be kept docile? ^^

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 02-20-2011 08:13 AM

I have a feeling that this GH will be epic! Happy

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Baggronor - 02-20-2011 12:01 PM

Hmmmm still sculpting its feet... and head... not out of the race yet though...

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 02-20-2011 12:31 PM

Having been a bit deflated about not doing the bull father, I've let days drag by without really having anything in mind to do.  I have settled on something though that should be okay, so fingers crossed I should be entering now.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-20-2011 06:42 PM

It's still more than a week, Grim. Ample time for a new creation worthy of the GH Wink

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hashut's Blessing - 02-23-2011 10:13 AM

Still trying to figure out what I want to do and how to go about it and if I can even afford it! ARGH! Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Bassman - 02-23-2011 10:42 AM

Wow, longing to see what's coming for the GH. Happy

RE: Golden Hat #14 - vulcanologist - 02-23-2011 12:13 PM

Looking forward to seeing these entries... Think some are going to be spectacular!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Blue in VT - 02-23-2011 12:25 PM

I'm 1/2 way through painting so I'm feeling pretty good right now!

Cheers,

Blue

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-23-2011 12:42 PM

I'm still needing to scupt part of the conversion, so not feeling great at the moment.
But hopefully later tonight/tomorrow it'll be undercoated. Lets hope!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 02-23-2011 01:18 PM

I'm probably about 40% through sculpting mine, so a long way to go.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Da Crusha - 02-24-2011 04:34 AM

ouch only 4 days left and I haven't started painting...

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Kered - 02-24-2011 04:53 AM

Finished painting. Just need to try and get some decent photos.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Baggronor - 02-24-2011 09:14 AM

Won't be finished in time Mad Oh well, at least GH gave me the impetus to restart it.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-24-2011 09:17 AM

I've got 90% of it done now, not to sure about something i've bolted on, but it makes the model look more balanced somehow.
So i'm going with it.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hashut's Blessing - 02-24-2011 11:19 AM

Having got the part, I now have rehearsals and filming, so have to drop out :'(

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 02-24-2011 12:36 PM

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
Having got the part, I now have rehearsals and filming, so have to drop out :'(

Well congratulations!! That's good news, bad news about GHXIV though!!

~N

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-24-2011 02:20 PM

Baggronor Wrote:
Won't be finished in time Mad Oh well, at least GH gave me the impetus to restart it.

Come on Baggronor, you can do it. Wink

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Thorne - 02-24-2011 03:20 PM

Dropped it, 100 peices of lava powered minotaur all over my garage floor.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 02-24-2011 04:18 PM

Thorne Wrote:

Shock

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Hashut's Blessing - 02-24-2011 05:54 PM

Nico: Thanks Big Grin Almost at a point where I wish i could've got the entry done instead of the role, but I won't say no to some work Big Grin (Even if it's only expenses paid.)

Thorne: Grief, that is such a sucky ending! Is there any way of fixing it (regardless of GH)?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-24-2011 08:08 PM

Thorne Wrote:

Dude, ouch!
I'm getting paranoid with mine now Tongue Wink

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Thorne - 02-24-2011 08:39 PM

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
Thorne: Grief, that is such a sucky ending! Is there any way of fixing it (regardless of GH)?

Sadly its well and truely dead. Found most of the main body. The legs however were slowly built using about 20 components per leg the head is mush the best thing I can do is start again. Probably the best model I have ever scratch built and for sure the best I had ever painted.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 02-25-2011 12:36 AM

Thorne Wrote:

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:

Sadly its well and truely dead. Found most of the main body. The legs however were slowly built using about 20 components per leg the head is mush the best thing I can do is start again. Probably the best model I have ever scratch built and for sure the best I had ever painted.

Oh noes!!  

That's seriously awful. I'd want to barf if it was me!!
~N

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-25-2011 09:05 AM

Oh shit, that sucks. Sad Did you make any pictures before the accident?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-25-2011 09:16 AM

Mine is finished being sculpted.
Now need to wait for the model to cure, and spray & paint here we come!

How long goes GStuff take to cure? I've never waited on it like this before.
Its only thin strips, no chunks.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Blue in VT - 02-25-2011 10:42 AM

Overnight is probably best...or put it under a lamp to speed up the process.

I'm really excited about seeing everyone's stuff...I feel out of my league on this one with so many talented sculptors...should be fun!

Cheers,

Blue

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-25-2011 10:50 AM

Ta for the info Blue.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 02-26-2011 02:28 PM

I just got mine finished last night. It's my first full out Greenstuff sculpt, so I hope someone likes it. Now, if I can get the photo's in on time!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 02-26-2011 02:32 PM

@ Thorne - sorry to hear about your loss on the kit!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 02-26-2011 02:46 PM

@Nitro

I've found that GS can be worked around in about 4 hours trying not to touch it, fully dry in around 6-8.  Under a lamp, in an airing cupboard, near a fire or radiator you could probably halve that.

I've been using Pro Create (grey stuff) for a lot of my model as it's half the drying time of GS and I've been resting it on a radiator (on a thick piece of card) when it's on, so I can add new stuff every couple of hours when it's fairly hard already.

My entry is based and probably about 80% done for sculpting.  Taller than I wanted, but I guess for this theme that's a good thing!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-26-2011 02:49 PM

Sweet ta Grim.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 02-27-2011 01:38 AM

Not to harass you guys too much, but did you get the pics?

The reason why I ask this every time a GH happens is because my old XP computer tends to not open the main page to this forum from "My Favorites" and I usually have to enter through a "Side Door" approach, like checking my CDO inbox from my Excite account and then walking through the CDO forum from there.

Anyway, I sent the pics of my entry and a little write-up to Golden Hat. Please let me know if they made it through.

I can't wait for this contest to end though. I want to share all my build-up pics with you guys as this is my first really big GS creation and I wish I could have shared the pics with you guys as I progressed along, however, that would have given away the "Surprise" of my entry.

ThanX again!

Tarrakk.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-27-2011 06:38 AM

Phew, everything finished in time. Pictures sent!
Now have to catch some sleep LOL Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Golden Hat - 02-27-2011 09:07 AM

@Tarrakk

I got it, all looks ok

-Grim

About 5 entries so far.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-27-2011 10:04 AM

My entry should be with out in 3...2....1

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-27-2011 11:45 AM

Looks like there will be quite a few last minute entries. With all the buzz here during the past few weeks I can't imagine we will end up with less than 20 entries.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Kered - 02-27-2011 12:01 PM

Entered mine yesterday.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-27-2011 12:29 PM

There might be 20! WOW!
Would that be the highest so far?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Blue in VT - 02-27-2011 01:19 PM

I just need to get some photos taken and I should be good to go!
Takes Hat off

Blue[/quote]

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 02-27-2011 01:42 PM

We had 28 in GH #8 and 27 in GH #11

My guess is around 14 entries this time.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-27-2011 01:43 PM

Still i'd say 14 is pretty good for a larger model/build

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 02-27-2011 02:07 PM

ThanX Grim for the confirmation!!

We should do this one again so we can build the other monsterous creature we didn't get to build this time around!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 02-27-2011 04:28 PM

... GH is not gonna happen this time.  I even have two potential models built for this but they aren't even primed, let alone being done with conversions. I haven't had any more than a few minutes each day for the past few weeks to do any hobby stuff.  My non-hobby time will hopefully have been well spent if I can secure the ~$600K in research funding I'm after Tongue  
Now if I could only get a job instead of this self-employed B.S. I'd be set!
~N

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Baggronor - 02-28-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:
Now if I could only get a job instead of this self-employed B.S. I'd be set!

That's what I thought. Then I got the job and found that between the commute and the ridiculous amount of BS that has happened recently I had nowhere near enough time... Sad

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Alfract - 02-28-2011 09:57 AM

Really Looking forward to seeing the amount of entries and what they will be like

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Blue in VT - 02-28-2011 10:27 AM

Cheers!

I'm in!!! I'm not 100% happy with my photos but my computer is about to die so I had to get something sent in before that happened.

Today the day ya'll get those photos in!

Cheers,

Blue

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 02-28-2011 02:34 PM

Think it might only be 10 this time?

That could be good....I MIGHT actually have a slim chance of placing this time.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 02-28-2011 05:15 PM

Just a few hours left,
I picture the scene of paint brushes frantically moving in redbull laden miniature-smiths.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 02-28-2011 08:22 PM

There have been a couple of issues with the entries that need some staff discussion, but overall it's looking good for the number of entries.  Unlike recent GH's, we will double check each entry meets all the rules as written before posting the thread. Wink

Mine is the 13th in Sad  so obviously I won't win... (13 being considered unlucky)

Incidently nobody put their model on another display base or plinth (that I can remember anyway from a quick look).  I was hoping to but I couldn't be bothered in the end.  Well, I have a fancy polished round plinth but it wouldn't have looked right with a square based model.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 02-28-2011 09:18 PM

Not a plinth, but it's a similar kind of effect I'd been going for.  Alas this hasn't been touched in 6 weeks now... tonight is my first night in a while that will not be spend working but alas, not enough time to finish.

~N

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 03-01-2011 04:10 AM

I was born on friday the 13th, I've not been to unlucky :-p

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Da Crusha - 03-01-2011 04:23 AM

Pretty sweet demon nicodemis!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - clam - 03-01-2011 05:26 AM

@Grim
Think plinths are more suitable for human sized single models where you need a bit more to work with. For monsters there is really no need for a such.

Sad to here that there are some issues regarding some entries/pictures. Would have hoped that the new clear ruleset would have made your job more easy. But, a very wise decission to sort out any issues before the official announcement is made Wink

@Nicodemus
Sorry to here you didn't get time to finish you entry. The bull demon looks awesome - and would have been an outstanding entry for this one. Hopefully you'll still paint and post it here.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Skink - 03-01-2011 05:28 AM

...I guess that my entry is part of the "causing trouble with the rules" ones... Well, if it's really causing that amount of issues just don't include it in the competition... Though I would really like it to partecipate...

Other than that we are having some big names taking part of this GH!!! I'm really eager to see what our talented members have producedHappy

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 03-01-2011 07:30 AM

Nico: Cool daemon, what did you plan to use it as?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 03-01-2011 07:35 AM

@Tjub, Greater Demon of Hashut?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 03-01-2011 08:04 AM

I hope mine's not in conflict.

Sorry to hear that Nico could not enter this time. The Deamon looks like it would be a great model when finished!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Willmark - 03-01-2011 10:35 AM

Thanks for your patience everyone we are still discussing the two entries.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Skink - 03-01-2011 11:28 AM

If I may why don't you tell us which are the issues whit this two entries??? We can maybe help you deciding wheter allowing them to enter the competition or not (I know which is the problem with mine of courseHappy)...
I just wanted to make a nice piece that shows the Dawi Zharr in all their glory! Nothing more.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Willmark - 03-01-2011 11:42 AM

Yes, yours is one of the ones we are discussing. I saw your post in this thread regarding it. Many thanks as it makes our job easier on that one.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Nicodemus - 03-01-2011 11:42 AM

nitroglysarine Wrote:
@Tjub, Greater Demon of Hashut?

Nitro, Yes that was my thought... as a 'counts as' Daemon Prince from the Daemon army list in combination with Warriors of Chaos and Chaos Dwarfs... or what ever kind of combination the Tamurkhan book may allow. That book had been suggested to have rules for Daemons/WoC and Beastmen all rolled into one, which would greatly expand the diversity of builds possible with Chaos Dwarfs.

I still worry that the new 'list' won't allow CD as a central component however and will just be a minor supplement to something like WoC.

OK, back on topic!! Can't wait to see the GH entries!!
~N

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 03-01-2011 05:38 PM

@ Willmark - mine's in conflict, or is it Skink's? You didn't really say, although I did ask the question, so I'm not sure if you mean me or not.

I can't comment on Skink's as I haven't seen it, but if it's mine, I can't see why? I built a monster with a rider and put him on a 50mm x 50mm base. Wasn't that what I was suppose to do? Anyway, if it's me, let's PM as I don't want to give away any clues to my model in case you guys let it go through. Can't give away my deatails out here if people are going to know what I entered, right?

So are the entries closed off now?

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 03-01-2011 05:45 PM

Yes.  13 people entered, so I was quite close with my guess of 14. Happy

Presuming our discussions over the entries finish in the next 24 hours, I anticipate I could get the thread up maybe thursday (definitely by end of friday).

A reminder that if people do NOT want their photos altered for brightness/contrast/cropping etc that they need to say now.  Otherwise it is presumed that I will do what I see as necessary.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 03-01-2011 06:13 PM

Ok...let me put it this way...without giving away my model for the contest....

The model I built was based off the original CD model of the same type of creature. The dimensions are the same. The body sizes are the same. Therefore, if someone entered the original model that I based mine from, would that disqualify both models?

Please let me through Gandalf! Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Skink - 03-01-2011 06:25 PM

Grim, if mine sees the competition can you fix lights, contrast etc.???

I tried to do it myself but I think I did a mess! Thanks!!!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Tarrakk Blackhand - 03-01-2011 08:39 PM

ThanX for letting me know guys!

Can't wait to see the entries!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Redhammer - 03-02-2011 04:03 PM

Sadly, I did not finish my entry in time Sad  Oh well, there's always the next one!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Skink - 03-04-2011 12:26 PM

...Any news from the staff about the competition and the evil entries?Happy

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 03-04-2011 12:35 PM

Presuming we come to a decision imminently, I will try and get the thread done tonight.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 03-04-2011 01:39 PM

Sweet.
Really looking forward to see this round, so many opportunities for odd/cool conversions!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - vulcanologist - 03-04-2011 02:44 PM

Cool! Can't wait to see everyones stuff!

RE: Golden Hat #14 - clam - 03-05-2011 04:25 AM

Really must be something controversial - that can keep the discussions running this long. Come one guys - we want to see the entries, now.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - nitroglysarine - 03-05-2011 04:58 AM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder! Tongue Wink

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Kered - 03-05-2011 06:15 AM

I'm becoming paranoid that it's my entry causing the problem.
I still look forward to seeing all the entries.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - tjub - 03-05-2011 06:31 AM

clam Wrote:
Come one guys - we want to see the entries, now.

word.

RE: Golden Hat #14 - Grimstonefire - 03-05-2011 07:54 AM

It's taken a little longer than expected to group all the pictures nicely.  Hopefully in an hour or so.