Pages (13): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
Author MessageJMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
Zonk
Banned

Group: Excommunicated
Market Rep:
Slaves: 37

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Zonk 03-23-2012

cornixt Wrote:
Now that is exactly what I need! Obviously I'm going to have to start searching google using Russian words, luckily my dad knows a bit.

Unfortunately this set now don't make, there are other sets from this series, they can be seen here  http://www.tehnolog.ru/product/videoman.php  , but there is no bull. The sizes of this toy are very great 14 cm at length

03-23-2012 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pagarus
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 10

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Pagarus 03-23-2012

Glowing weapons sound really cool, do you mean like some of Baggronor's miniature's on his website?

I hadn't thought about bases, and I completely understand about the colours together.

Looking forward to seeing some more tests soon.

03-23-2012 07:01 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)JMR 03-24-2012

Another attempt at finding a suitable scheme for my Immortals.

I didn't really have a very solid plan going in to this miniature. I wanted to try black armour, but the tricky bit is making black armour look "special". I figured I wanted to do Obsidian armour, whatever that might be - I don't know to be honest Tongue

The biggest thing about this one, for me, is the fact that I used gloss varnish in an attempt to make his armour look extraordinary. Being under a harsh light source doesn't really do it any good, so I'm finding it a bit hard to judge whether I like it or not while it's under my painting-lamp or when I take a picture of it. I think it might look nice on the gaming table though.

Note how the photo nicely brings out the poor blending on the axe and the bits of cork showing on the base dead Need to fix that.

I might try darkening the scale mail armour more and using edge highlights to pick out the scales. I may also try changing his robes from red to black or dark grey.

On a slightly unrelated note. I'm growing more and more fond of my initial paint scheme (the bronze/brassy one). I'd really like to use that as a standard for my army. I just hope I can make these Immortals stand out from the crowd on the battlefield.

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-
03-24-2012 06:53 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 533
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP)Thommy H 03-25-2012

I think glowing weapons will be enough to make them stand out - if anything, maybe give them darker armour (almost black). Or wait for Baggranor to release the Royal Guard models, which will look a bit more ornate than the Heavy Infantry.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

03-25-2012 05:51 AM
Borador Away
Collector of Renegades

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 1

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP)Borador 03-25-2012

Yeah the Royal Guard models would probably do the trick as Immortals.

I must say that I do like the black version. Maybe using a darker version of the first scheme will do the trick, like Thommy said.

03-25-2012 06:00 AM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP)Thommy H 03-25-2012

Quote:

Yeah, it's almost like it was planned that way!

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:

03-25-2012 06:03 AM
Borador Away
Collector of Renegades

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 1

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP)Borador 03-25-2012

Thommy H Wrote:

Quote:

What a coincidence Tongue Wink

03-25-2012 06:38 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP)JMR 03-25-2012

Thommy H Wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, and there lies my biggest problem. I plan to use the Royal Guard as regular warriors! So I fully rely on my painting to distinguish them.

My blogs:
03-25-2012 06:39 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 24 March - Immortal scheme no. 3 (WIP)JMR 03-26-2012

Continued work on my Infernal Engine again a bit. I've worked on it's hind legs.

To my surprise, I actually managed to balance the model to stand on it's feet. It's partly held together with blue-tac, but mostly simply gravity doing it's thing. I even managed to take a quick snapshot before it collapsed again 5 seconds later.

Try not to mind the wonky look Big Grin

In other news, I've cancelled my plasticard order (been 3 weeks) and ordered it through e-bay instead.

My blogs:
03-26-2012 12:09 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1528
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshottjub 03-26-2012

Looks great, but I would shorten the back legs a bit to make it "more bull, less cow".  Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

03-26-2012 01:01 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotJMR 03-26-2012

The height and length of the legs still needs to be set, but can you explain what you mean with more bull, less cow? Is the posture of a bull different from a cow in that it's backside is lower?

My blogs:
03-26-2012 03:03 PM
zobo1942
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 19
Slaves: 109

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotzobo1942 03-26-2012

Some varieties of bull to have a deeper chest, and more pronounced neck and shoulder muscles.

03-26-2012 03:21 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1528
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshottjub 03-26-2012

JMR Wrote:
The height and length of the legs still needs to be set, but can you explain what you mean with more bull, less cow? Is the posture of a bull different from a cow in that it's backside is lower?

Im not sure, but at least it would look a lot more aggressive. IMO the pose is not bad, bad a bit "cowish".

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

03-26-2012 03:35 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotJMR 03-26-2012

Hmm, I get what you're saying. I was simply following the pose and proportions of the original Schleich model, which is pretty docile. I was hesitant to steer away from the original model, but I suppose changing it's pose shouldn't be too difficult after all. I'm going to reconsider it, but I don't want it to look too "organic".

Thank you Tjub, that's very valuable feedback!

I think I'll try to go for something like this:

Less static/docile, but not too extravagant.

My blogs:
03-26-2012 04:14 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotGrimstonefire 03-26-2012

Notice the height of the shoulders in relation to the backside and where the front knees are in relation to the chest (for want of a better word).

I don't think you've got the bovine skeleton right on the back legs.  Something doesn't look right there.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 03-26-2012 04:24 PM by Grimstonefire.

03-26-2012 04:23 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotThommy H 03-26-2012

It looks fine, but altering the proportions to be more bull-like can only help, I think. It probably needs to look a bit cartoonish - look at the Great Taurus, or even the Stonehorn (which is some sort of bovine creature, I think). They're quite extreme versions of the picture you've posted, with extended forelimbs, deep chests and heavy shoulders. That fits in with the heroic aesthetic of Warhammer.

My models:

My rules:

03-26-2012 04:41 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               

Well, one thing that will make it more bull-like is re-adding bulk around his chest area. I've drawn it out on a previous picture from this thread.

I've cut this area away while separating the legs and I wanted to redefine this area by using cables or pipelines or somesuch. I think this is what you mean concerning how it's front knees are positioned in relation to it's chest, Grim?

I've also tried to visualise a repose using photoshop, but to be honest I'm not sure if photoshopping does a good enough job here Happy Here's the picture anyway:

I can't really show it well enough using pictures, but I think/hope I can manage to create a silhouette similar to the example picture I posted above. Basically, the entire leg/hip-structure is still posable, so I should be able to achieve a fair bit. It's just slightly annoying that I can't glue the pose in place yet, because I still need to have room to greenstuff.

Next time I'm just doing a flaming bull. So much less complicated Tongue

My blogs:
03-26-2012 05:51 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotJMR 03-27-2012

Four more Immortals are nearly completed. I haven't gloss varnished their armour yet. I've included the previous two models for comparison.

Still need to do the weapon handles, skin and I might glaze the scalemail armour a bit. They also still need shields Happy

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 03-29-2012 01:37 PM by JMR.

03-27-2012 08:40 AM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 260
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotvulcanologist 03-27-2012

The immortals look really good! The bull definately needs more work to look less like a toy cow though! Keep at it!

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY CHAOS DWARF ARMY BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7773

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

MY BLOOD BOWL BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10338

MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
03-27-2012 11:23 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 March - Infernal Engine snapshotJMR 03-29-2012

And because you can never have too many projects going on at once:

Some Immortal Cocktail-stick Bearers! Hoorah!

The models need greenstuffing and I'll probably swap the weapons on the models on the right for their original weapons.

My blogs:
03-29-2012 01:36 PM
Pages (13): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Return to Chaos - yet another chaos dwarf blog thymbrin-snakebeard 6 350 07-04-2019 02:34 PM
Last Post: Jackswift
  [HUGE update! 11-26-2013] The Legion of Hashut - Army Blog BoomBoom 68 40,201 05-04-2018 03:35 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Bloodbeards Chaos Dwarf Blog Bloodbeard 556 338,260 10-09-2017 03:19 PM
Last Post: Pappa Midnight
  To the honour of Hashut - Army Blog 07.16.15 Question to all readers DAGabriel 597 375,826 04-16-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Chaos Dwarf Army BIG blog/site - lots to see! ruinouspowers 0 1,956 10-21-2014 12:30 PM
Last Post: ruinouspowers

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites