Author MessageJMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - PyrophantJMR 09-08-2012

@Mad Dave: The flames were fairly simple. I started with a white primer and glazed it with GW's new yellow glaze. I then worked into red on the flames further away from the center of the fireball using a bit of red glaze, and I think I might've used a little bit of Blood Red as well. After that I applied Adeptus Battlegrey (dark grey) to some flame tips - mostly the tips at the top of the fireball, but I also tried to touch some smaller tips that are half-way the fireball. A small "highlight" with Chaos Black followed by a carefull red glaze on the dark tips finished it off.

Painting flames is pretty much two things: the fire is hottest at it's center, and colder the further away you get. So that means red at the outer parts and more towards yellow or white or maybe even a slightly blueish white for the center. The second thing to keep in mind is that a flame should be living and therefore slightly irregular. The black tips work great for this. You can go a little more crazy on bigger flames. Giving the hot spot an irregular shape or having one flame burning slightly brighter/hotter or having a black/cold spot surprisingly (but not unnaturally) close to a hot spot all adds to having a living, chaotic fire.

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-
09-08-2012 04:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Baggronor
The Forgemaster

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 620
Army Showcase Best Contributor - 2009 Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2010 Best Contributor - 2012 Best General - 2013 Major Prize Sponsor Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - PyrophantBaggronor 09-08-2012

Nice paint job Cheers!

Love the Doomwheel/bulldozer thing too - especially the exhaust!

http://www.titanwargames.com
09-08-2012 05:22 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - PyrophantJMR 09-08-2012

Thanks for the great sculpt, Baggronor! It was truly a joy to paint Happy

My blogs:
09-08-2012 05:28 AM
Mad Dave
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 19

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - PyrophantMad Dave 09-08-2012

Ahh thank you for those wise words JMR Happy i shall print your advice out and pop it in my little tips book and have a bash Takes Hat off

09-08-2012 03:07 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc LordJMR 10-10-2012

So I've gone crazy last week and bought a Maulerfiend box to use as a second Infernal Engine and maybe supply some bits/inspiration for my Bull-shaped Infernal Engine.

Here we go:

The neck and head are blue-tacked on. I might modify the head a bit. I'll remove it's tongue for sure. The bits of floral wire are to be used as a frame for black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes in the same way as done on my Doom Harness.

I've built a Sorcerer Lord to use the Infernal Engine as a mount, which by the way, seems like a terrible, terrible choice from a tactical point of view Takes Hat off
The throne and the way it connects to the Infernal Engine is still WIP.

Picture limit, continuing in next post.

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 09:21 AM by JMR.

10-10-2012 05:35 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 7 Sept - PyrophantJMR 10-10-2012

Here's the trick; he can be completely removed allowing the Infernal Engine to go solo:

Which allows the Sorcerer Lord to be carried into battle on top of a Palanquin carried by Immortals instead.

In the mean time I've been working on my ever-lasting mechanical bull project. Most notably the legs have been reworked. It's head is nearly finished. I've added some armour plates from the Maulerfiend kit to it's front legs - plates on the shins still need to be added. I'm not sure I'm too happy with how this has turned out, but that's kind of the story of this Bull; always one step back, two forward. I'll finish it someday!

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 09:19 AM by JMR.

10-10-2012 05:44 PM
Goltor Lintrepide
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 65
Golden Hat - Silver Photobucket Migration                               
RE: RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc LordGoltor Lintrepide 10-10-2012

I'm considering myself to use a maulerfiend but as a destroyer.

I'd like to know the size of the base it's fitting on.

Nice Sorcerer Lord by the way.

Here's my army blog : http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12205
10-10-2012 06:27 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc LordJMR 10-10-2012

It's on a 100x150 base in my pictures.

My blogs:
10-10-2012 07:09 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1549
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lordtjub 10-11-2012

Oh, I like what I see! Is that the old mechanical arm dwarf character?
Really inspiring work JMR... Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

10-11-2012 12:31 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc LordJMR 10-11-2012

Yeah, it is. Some kind of special character engineer I think.
Ah, GW still sells him apparently; "Dwarf Engineer Guildmaster, Burlock Damminson".

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 11:21 AM by JMR.

10-11-2012 11:20 AM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc LordKera foehunter 10-11-2012

I like the clock work bull  made out of green stuff
and that other thingy is sweet to . I like how you can take the Sorcerer Lord  off and use him
again for something else

The last of female chaos dwarf
10-11-2012 04:46 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bolg
Greater Bunny of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 644
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc LordBolg 10-11-2012

Loving the Big monster!

Check out my webcomic here...
10-11-2012 05:02 PM
frogbear
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 23

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc Lordfrogbear 10-11-2012

This thread is full of awesomeness.

Great work.

10-11-2012 09:35 PM
CopperPot
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 22

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine & Sorc LordCopperPot 10-13-2012

First person I've seen using this model nice work looks like it will make an awesome infernal engine or destroyer.

If you havn't noticed yet I have a base fetish.
10-13-2012 02:17 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine PrimedJMR 10-17-2012

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Primed and ready to go!

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 09:15 AM by JMR.

10-17-2012 10:06 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 587
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine PrimedAdmiral 10-17-2012

Your army has become an example to follow well done on the Infernal Guards and that K'daai Destroyer! Good to see that the wedged bulldozer worked out fine in the end. Happy

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 10:15 AM by Admiral.

10-17-2012 10:14 AM
bas_2312
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 448
Golden Hat - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine Primedbas_2312 10-17-2012

Very cool! I'll keep my eye on this blog, you just keep turning out awesome models!

Check out some of my other stuff:
-Big Hat Ogres
-Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs
-Halfling Empire
-Scifi stuff
10-17-2012 10:18 AM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1259
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine PrimedNicodemus 10-17-2012

Good gravy... the fiend turned out fantastic!!
What did you do to create the smoke effects?

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

10-17-2012 01:27 PM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 515
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine PrimedDAGabriel 10-17-2012

Really great, hurry on, want to see that thing painted.

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
10-17-2012 01:29 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 17 Oct - 2nd Infernal Engine PrimedJMR 10-17-2012

Nicodemus Wrote:
Good gravy... the fiend turned out fantastic!!
What did you do to create the smoke effects?

The smoke effects are very simple to make, although maybe a bit unconventional...
Remember how back in school people used to toss wet paper balls that would stick to the walls or ceiling? (I never did such things ofcourse!) Well, that's pretty much the trick.

All you need is a few sheets of paper kitchen towel and some super glue.
For these smoke stacks I first made a frame using 4 bits of floral wire. If I recall correctly I didn't do so on my Doom Harness, so it's not strictly necessary to make a frame.
The initial "pillar" of smoke coming out of the stacks is done by twisting some paper around the floral wire. Put some glue on there to fixate it. Try not getting your fingers stuck.
The rest of the smoke is made by putting some paper in your mouth and chewing it into a ball. If you don't fancy eating paper you can dip it in a bit of water, but I find the paper gets far, far too wet this way. Either way, put some super glue on your growing cloud and stick the ball of paper on.
Start with small balls of paper at the front of the smoke-cloud and gradually increase the size of the paper balls as you move further along. Try to create a logical shape by imagining a wind direction.

That's pretty much it! You can further reinforce the whole thing by putting more super glue on there. It'll harden up quite nicely once dry. I have also applied some liquid green-stuff to these two smoke-clouds after everything had thoroughly dried (but again didn't do so to the smoke on my Doom Harness). I don't think this last step really achieves anything. Don't apply too much glue or liquid green stuff though, because you want to keep the texture of the paper instead of a smooth finish.

One word of caution; I've found that super glue on paper towels briefly gives off some strange fume or such which was slightly irritating for my eyes. Easily solved by not keeping it under your nose while applying glue.

It may not be a perfect result, but I found it to be highly effective considering how little time it takes to do so.

My blogs:
10-17-2012 01:55 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hashut's Blessing Chaos Dwarf Workings Hashut's Blessing 120 69,863 01-23-2020 03:24 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Return to Chaos - yet another chaos dwarf blog thymbrin-snakebeard 6 558 07-04-2019 02:34 PM
Last Post: Jackswift
  [HUGE update! 11-26-2013] The Legion of Hashut - Army Blog BoomBoom 68 40,853 05-04-2018 03:35 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Bloodbeards Chaos Dwarf Blog Bloodbeard 556 343,910 10-09-2017 03:19 PM
Last Post: Pappa Midnight
  To the honour of Hashut - Army Blog 07.16.15 Question to all readers DAGabriel 597 379,858 04-16-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: Willmark

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites