JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 4 March - Doom HarnessJMR 03-11-2012

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
So you plan to cover the whole thing with armour plating? So the Schleich cow is really just an armature for the final model. That's a really nice idea! Look forward to the next updates.

I don't want to cover the whole thing in plating. I want to have the heavy plating stop at his front legs and then the rest will be much more open, with only plates on his spine. That's the plan anyways. If it proves to be too difficult, I can just plate the whole thing up, which will be much simpler.

Although I really like Ishkur's engine, it's actually not such a big driving force behind my design process. I've gone from wanting a Chaos Dwarf Warsphinx to 40K Defiler conversions to Privateer Press' Warmachine to Steampunk, back to Warmachine, settled on converting a Defiler and promptly bought a Schleich cow an hour later Tongue

I think that if you want a 4-legged stompy Chaos-Dwarf engine, it's hard to escape the imagery of a bull. I did consider using some kind of Lamassu-like head though.

As far as crew is concerned. I initially toyed with the idea of a mobile firing platform, crewed with 8 Blunderbusses, but getting that many models on a Warsphinx-sized model is going to be difficult unless you stretch the platform over the entire length of the model or something. This one will probably only get the minimum of 3 crew members. An un-crewed, rampagine engine with Ld 5 seems like a bad idea...

I hadn't seen the WIP pictures of your engine before Ishkur, so thank you for that link Happy How big is that base you're using? Something like 150x200 or such?

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-
03-11-2012 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 87
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal EngineIshkur Cinderhat 03-12-2012

Yeah the base is pretty large, 120x200mm. But still had material left from GWs modular movement tray set, and I figured I could use a little space around the feet. Happy

03-12-2012 04:36 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Singleton Mosby
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 68

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal EngineSingleton Mosby 03-13-2012

Very interesting idea. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
And what about the Doomwheel?

03-13-2012 04:17 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal EngineJMR 03-13-2012

Singleton Mosby Wrote:
And what about the Doomwheel?

I'm waiting for my plasticard to arrive before I can continue. I intend to put a little (hob)goblin at the back shovelling coal into a furnace.

My blogs:
03-13-2012 06:07 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal EngineJMR 03-19-2012

I'm still waiting for my plasticard to arrive. It's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything, so it's starting to annoy me a bit.

I decided to continue work on my Infernal Engine using materials found around the house instead of waiting for my plasticard.

Everything is stuck together using blue-tack, so the legs are a bit wonky at the moment.

The black dots are going to be rivets. The legs will be bulked out with plating and will have pistons at the back. I used some wooden cocktail sticks for this now, but I might redo them once I finally get my plasticard and plasti-rod.

My blogs:
03-19-2012 12:53 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 19 March - Infernal EngineJMR 03-21-2012

Look what the postman brought in today!

My order from Baggronor's Titan Wargames has arrived!

I've ordered 4x4 Heavy Infantry with command group to be used as Immortals. The Overlord is going to be used as the unit champion. I've also bought one Pyromancer.

These models are quite simply the best-cast metal models I have ever bought. That's including GW models. They have zero flash and mold lines are minute. Very nice.

To close off, an "army" shot:

My blogs:
03-21-2012 11:39 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 March - Titan Wargames DwarfsJMR 03-22-2012

I've been working on finding a suitable paint-scheme for my Immortals today and yesterday. I've tried three different ones, but this is the one I like the most.

Still WIP, but the armour is pretty much done. I've unfortunately chipped the paint a bit while basing him :/

My only concern is that these guys are supposed to be my elite unit. That means that when I paint my warriors, I'll have to give them a less-awesome colour scheme. That kinda feels like painting in reverse for me.
I'm half considering using this scheme for my regular warriors instead and then maybe do my Immortals in a different scheme, like red or black armour.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Here's one of the other colour options I've been working on. The white primer is a bit distracting I guess, but I could use this for Immortals instead and the above scheme for regular warriors.

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 03:06 PM by JMR.

03-22-2012 02:39 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 158
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Admiral 03-22-2012

I prefer the next latest paint scheme, with the iron-coloured plates. It works really well with the lava rock base. I'm looking forward to see the completed Dawi Zharr Doomwheel and mecha-cow. The new army will surely look fine along with the hobgoblins, although I still think you achieved a good result with converting Mantic dwarves.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting Deadline 18th of January  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 03:23 PM by Admiral.

03-22-2012 03:18 PM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Bassman 03-22-2012

Hey, give me the credit for stealing my colour scheme!!! Respect to the Hat!

Very well executed, better than mine Happy

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://milanoarte.net/en/tour/the-last-s...ly-for-you

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

03-22-2012 03:56 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)JMR 03-22-2012

Bassman Wrote:

Hehe, I had to check your blog to see which one you meant. I guess you mean the first one due to the beard? The beard is Shadow Grey at the moment. I think yours is truly blue?

To be fair neither of my paint schemes are really original, but that's okay I guess. I've been toying with some more original schemes, but I'm pretty much tied to lava-bases due to my hobgoblins (and possible other units from my previous force). So I have to do something that looks good on lava.

Admiral Wrote:
I prefer the next latest paint scheme, with the iron-coloured plates. It works really well with the lava rock base. I'm looking forward to see the completed Dawi Zharr Doomwheel and mecha-cow. The new army will surely look fine along with the hobgoblins, although I still think you achieved a good result with converting Mantic dwarves.

I've done some photoshopping with the second paint scheme:

I like the first scheme more, overall, but maybe the red armour is a nice way to distinguish an elite unit, which the Immortals are.

As for the bull and doom harness. I contacted the store where I ordered my plasticard two weeks ago and I have a very, very strong suspicion that they simply didn't do anything at all about my order during those two weeks. Very lame.
I want to cancel my order due to their poor service, but I do want the material. I've been looking at different shops to order from, but postage can be a bit steep.
So the progress of those two machines kinda depends on that.

The bull also proves to be pushing the limits of my attention span. It's a fairly complex project that takes quite a lot of steps till it gets to a point where it's starting to look like something cool. I kinda need that light at the end of the tunnel to keep myself motivated.
I should really push myself to continue work on it... It would be great if I can get it to the point where it can actually stand on a base again instead of being chopped up in pieces.

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 03-22-2012 05:04 PM by JMR.

03-22-2012 05:02 PM
Pagarus
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 10

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Pagarus 03-22-2012

Hi, I've been following your blog for a week or so, and am loving it all!
I really like your first colour scheme, but although you are a far better painter than me, the head of the weapon looks a little to bright compared to the rest. That said, I think the scheme is really effective.

As for the immortals, I understand your desire to give them a different look - I like the red, but to me immortals should wear dark iron or black, and less ostentatious armour. However, that's my take on them, and of course yours could be entirely different.

03-22-2012 05:19 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)JMR 03-22-2012

Thanks for your response, Pagarus. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog Happy

The weapon is at the moment a flat coat of Chainmail, so that's going to get more attention. I'm toying with the option of doing glowy weapons, to represent their Cursed Weapons rule. I haven't quite nailed that yet though.

I get where you're coming from concerning the dark or black armour on Immortals and I pretty much agree with you. I might do a test model with black armour, but I'm fearful that the model may become too dull in combination with the blackish rock used for the bases. I'll just have to toy around with a test model and see what I end up with.

My blogs:
03-22-2012 06:12 PM
Borador Away
Collector of Renegades

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 1

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Borador 03-22-2012

Looking good!

You could also try black with green "veins", as if the armor was made of marble-ish material. Must be a thread on here on how to paint marble from just a while back IIRC.

Greens work well with lava bases (:

03-22-2012 06:29 PM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Kera foehunter 03-22-2012

Love the strong bold red color and the brassy gold is cool to

The last of female chaos dwarf
03-22-2012 07:00 PM
frostbit3
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 109

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)frostbit3 03-22-2012

I think your guy would look solid if you just picked out some of the armor in gold on the elite troops to signify status without making yourself change to a "lesser" scheme for your core troops.
Maybe gold where you have it on your red guys for the scale mail and shoulder armor accent, but your metallics on the solid plate areas.

03-22-2012 07:11 PM
Zonk
Banned

Group: Excommunicated
Market Rep:
Slaves: 37

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 10 March - Infernal EngineZonk 03-22-2012

JMR Wrote:

////

I think that these pictures can help you to make an animal

03-22-2012 11:20 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1539
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)tjub 03-23-2012

I prefer the 2nd of the two!

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

03-23-2012 01:04 AM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1334
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)cornixt 03-23-2012

Now that is exactly what I need! Obviously I'm going to have to start searching google using Russian words, luckily my dad knows a bit.

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

03-23-2012 08:29 AM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)Bassman 03-23-2012

JMR Wrote:

Bassman Wrote:

Hehe, I had to check your blog to see which one you meant. I guess you mean the first one due to the beard? The beard is Shadow Grey at the moment. I think yours is truly blue?

To be fair neither of my paint schemes are really original, but that's okay I guess. I've been toying with some more original schemes, but I'm pretty much tied to lava-bases due to my hobgoblins (and possible other units from my previous force). So I have to do something that looks good on lava.

I like your color scheme and it's really well executed.
In my monitor your beard looks blueish like mine.
Anyway, I do not have any right about bluebeards ;-)
Nice to see what coming up now :-)

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://milanoarte.net/en/tour/the-last-s...ly-for-you

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

03-23-2012 09:19 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 22 March - Immortal (Paint WIP)JMR 03-23-2012

Interesting, Zonk. Thanks for the link.

My blogs:
03-23-2012 12:38 PM
Pages (13): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Return to Chaos - yet another chaos dwarf blog thymbrin-snakebeard 6 404 07-04-2019 02:34 PM
Last Post: Jackswift
  [HUGE update! 11-26-2013] The Legion of Hashut - Army Blog BoomBoom 68 40,423 05-04-2018 03:35 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Bloodbeards Chaos Dwarf Blog Bloodbeard 556 339,914 10-09-2017 03:19 PM
Last Post: Pappa Midnight
  To the honour of Hashut - Army Blog 07.16.15 Question to all readers DAGabriel 597 377,086 04-16-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Chaos Dwarf Army BIG blog/site - lots to see! ruinouspowers 0 2,005 10-21-2014 12:30 PM
Last Post: ruinouspowers

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites