1 Votes - 5 Average   JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
Author MessageJMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completionJMR 04-05-2012

The Odor Wrote:
JMR: I did some smoke a few weeks ago and I took some rough cotton (almost wool) and dosed it in spray adhesive and then you can shape it with your fingers. A bit tricky and messy but the best way that I have found. If you feel generous you can buy one of these: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalo...od1330001a and take the fire out of his hand and try to do something with it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen wool used before, but I'd prefer a more "solid" look - pretty much just like the Firebelly model actually. I'm not that generous to buy it just for the smoke though Big Grin

Armorcast produces some smoke effects that I might just have to buy, like here:

(Oi! Big picture)
This is the "large" variant, but they have smaller ones too.
The reason I haven't bought it yet is because I like to have something else to order along with it. Feels like a bit of a shame to place a small order where the shipping cost outweighs the price of the product Happy

@Thommy: The Hobbo is made in lazy-mode. It's the original skaven crewmember with it's head replaced with a Gretchin head and some plasticard turning the lever he's holding into a shovel. He's a fair bit smaller than my regular Hobgoblins, but I figure that's exactly why he was chosen to work on this machine.

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-
04-05-2012 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1549
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completiontjub 04-06-2012

I really like those smoke effects, might have to consider them... Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

04-06-2012 01:33 AM
The Odor
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 26

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completionThe Odor 04-06-2012

I was gonna buy that one to if my final cotton experiment failed.

Where there's a whip, There's a Way!
04-06-2012 05:59 AM
furrie
hat lover

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 243

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completionfurrie 04-06-2012

Does anyone know the scale of the rulers that are used on armorcast?

My blog with big hatters

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
I like big hats and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, when a dwarf walks in with an iddy biddy thing and wears it on his head, you get sprung...

Kera foehunter Wrote:
But there is only one choice
Big hats anything else is just a emo Dwarf

04-06-2012 09:34 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completionJMR 04-06-2012

Heh.. that's a good one. I assume it's in centimeters, not really sure why I assume so though.
Their default currency seems to be US dollars. They use centimeters over there, don't they?

My blogs:
04-06-2012 11:20 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completionJMR 04-12-2012

I've finished building my Doom Harness! I may have rushed the final part a bit, but I'm very glad to have finally completed the converting. Here's the final pictures before painting:

I'm painting the machine right now, so stay tuned...

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 04-12-2012 02:28 PM by JMR.

04-12-2012 02:25 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 536
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 5 April - Doom Harness nearing completionThommy H 04-12-2012

Great stuff. Really looking forward to seeing it painted.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

04-12-2012 02:37 PM
Stepper
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 32

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 April - Doom Harness conversion completedStepper 04-13-2012

Ohhh very sweet indeed,

Paint it up mate, can't wait to see the result Big Grin

Ciao,

Stepper

"One of these days i'm going to cut you into little pieces"

04-13-2012 03:20 AM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 260
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 April - Doom Harness conversion completedvulcanologist 04-13-2012

Looking good! Very nice wip blog thanks. Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY CHAOS DWARF ARMY BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7773

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

MY BLOOD BOWL BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10338

MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
04-13-2012 03:34 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 April - Doom Harness conversion completedJMR 04-16-2012

Today I felt like taking some pictures, so I took some of all the WIP units.

For starters my Palanquin bearers. These Immortals will carry my Sorcerer Lord into battle.

I've started on the Palanquin itself yesterday. I wanted to do a little stairways leading up to a throne/chair. I feel like the platform is going to be too thick this way though, so I may have to reconsider the concept.

A shot of my Immortal unit as it currently stands:

Then my Doom Harness, which has received a first lick of paint:

Very, very, very WIP, but I couldn't resist spending some more time on the smoke effect, so that's a little further along.

Finally, a group shot, showing about half of the units of my planned 2500 point army.

I'm actually fairly seriously considering redoing my bases and get rid of the lava theme. I feel a more natural theme would complement the models better. I wouldn't have gone for lava if I didn't already have it used on my older models. On the other hand, maybe I just need to push on and actually get something finished for once!

My blogs:
04-16-2012 10:19 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 16 April - Army progress shotsJMR 05-08-2012

It's been 3 weeks since I last updated! I haven't spent too much time on Warhammer recently and the Warhammer time I did have was spent on various "small" bits that aren't really worth posting about; a little bit of Hobgoblin painting some undead cavalry, but nothing exciting.

I did however receive a unit's worth of Baggronor's Royal Guard, which I am using as warriors armed with great weapons.

I have mentioned before in this thread that I kinda wanted to do non-lava bases, but I continued to use lava because my old dwarves and hobgoblins already use those bases. I'm strongly having doubts once again...
I feel that different coloured bases would bring out my miniatures better and give me the option to play around with grass tufts and such as well as give a more natural and realistic feel. There's something very wrong about walking around terrain with streams of lava everywhere when you think about it. It can't be pleasant when you're a bare-footed Hobgoblin and even a Dwarf must feel nervous about accidentally miss-stepping - how long does an iron boot last when submerged in molten stone?

So, because of that I've sprinkled some different basing material on my models for these pictures (not glued on).

Boots, weapon and his right gauntlet still need to be done. The rest is pretty far along. I might fancy up his cloak a bit with some free-hand, like some runes or such.

Secondly, some old models to show the different basing option.

I would want to tone the sand colour down a bit with a dark brown wash or something and use a lighter grey for the larger rocks. I want to avoid it looking like a desert. The addition of grass tufts or small pieces of wood can make it a little more interesting.
What do you guys think?

My blogs:
05-08-2012 09:51 AM
Vaftrudnir
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 28

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases?Vaftrudnir 05-08-2012

Awesome work mate, cant say I like the blue beards but besides that.

05-08-2012 10:45 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 587
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases?Admiral 05-10-2012

Great Doom Harness! I think you should paint the sand grey or brown with grey rocks, then add grass tufts, preferrably those nice products from the Army Painter: http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.ph...ft_101_000

The painting on the Titan Wargames Royal Guard with great weapon looks nice, by the way. The cloak will be ideal for some freehand.

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
05-10-2012 07:05 PM
Kronosv13
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 18

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases?Kronosv13 05-10-2012

That Doom harness is (in high pitch voice) awesome!, great concept and it's come out great, looks suitably Chaos Dwarven.

05-10-2012 07:34 PM
French_noodle
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 19

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases?French_noodle 05-11-2012

Very very nice choice of colours Happy

I'm French, so if i'm not understandable, just tell me and i will try to correct myself Wink
05-11-2012 06:06 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 6 May - GW Warrior & New bases?JMR 05-14-2012

I'm still on my quest to find a new basing method. I've come up with the following so far:

There's hardly any grass used on this one, mostly due to a lack of space, but other bases can receive a more prominent tuft of grass.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about what colours would suit my miniatures best, and I'm still not really certain, but I think greens and autumn colours would be the best bet. Hence the grass, leaves and green rims.
The irony is that I'm partly colour-blind and greens, browns and to a smaller degree reds are my weak point Tongue

Opinions?

My blogs:
05-14-2012 10:58 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 587
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 14 May - New bases?Admiral 05-14-2012

I like lava bases, but the new base actually look better. I'll have to use some more vegetation on my own bases.

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
05-14-2012 11:59 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 14 May - New bases?JMR 05-28-2012

@Admiral: I'm glad you like them. It was a pretty hard decision to redo the bases.

Just a quick photo to show that I'm still (slowly) working on my army.

The grand re-basing has begun...

My blogs:
05-28-2012 11:49 AM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 260
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased.vulcanologist 05-28-2012

I love those hobgoblins! Fantastic unit !

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY CHAOS DWARF ARMY BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7773

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

MY BLOOD BOWL BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10338

MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
05-28-2012 02:02 PM
bas_2312
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 448
Golden Hat - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 28 May - Hobgoblins rebased.bas_2312 05-28-2012

Those bases look very cool! Big Grin

Check out some of my other stuff:
-Big Hat Ogres
-Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs
-Halfling Empire
-Scifi stuff
05-28-2012 02:09 PM
Pages (13): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hashut's Blessing Chaos Dwarf Workings Hashut's Blessing 120 69,860 01-23-2020 03:24 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Return to Chaos - yet another chaos dwarf blog thymbrin-snakebeard 6 558 07-04-2019 02:34 PM
Last Post: Jackswift
  [HUGE update! 11-26-2013] The Legion of Hashut - Army Blog BoomBoom 68 40,851 05-04-2018 03:35 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Bloodbeards Chaos Dwarf Blog Bloodbeard 556 343,893 10-09-2017 03:19 PM
Last Post: Pappa Midnight
  To the honour of Hashut - Army Blog 07.16.15 Question to all readers DAGabriel 597 379,837 04-16-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: Willmark

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites