Pages (13): « First < Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
Author MessageJMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 Sept - Black Orcs (2nd done)Fuggit Khan 09-12-2013

Looking good! I have always loved Orcs with checkerboard paint schemes...reminds me of the good ol' days of checkerboard Black Orcs and Goffs Happy

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
09-12-2013 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 Sept - Black Orcs (2nd done)Yodrin 09-12-2013

As goo as the other!!! Great job!!

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

09-12-2013 04:41 PM
Sticklander
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 125
Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 12 Sept - Black Orcs (2nd done)Sticklander 09-12-2013

Your originality and general creativity has really inspired me! Big Grin

Hope you don't mind if I borrow your hobgoblin idea! Happy

'If I look back, I am lost.'
~------------~
Hobby Blogs:
Chaos Dwarfs, The Blooded Horde
A Song of Ice and Fire conversions
Moss Goblins
~------------~

09-12-2013 06:32 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuJMR 12-11-2013

Hey everyone. Here's my entry for Golden Hat 20. Can't believe I made 2nd place with it!

It represents a Chaos Dwarf Overlord riding a Lamassu who is a level 3 sorcerer with the Lore of Death. The Overlord's weapon has Flaming Attacks thanks to his Amulet of Azgorh. That's all using Thommy's book.

The model itself isn't really anything particularly original. Xander, and others, have also used a Manticore's body to turn into a Lamassu, but I have added the "flaming" wings from the High Elf Phoenix kit instead of leathery wings.
I tried to make the wings look "lore of deathey", which is why they are purple. I realise purple is a bit of an outlandish colour for Dawi Zharr, and I struggled with it a bit myself, but in the end I'm happy with it.
Funnily enough the light plays tricks with the colour of the wings, under normal daylight the wings are a dark, blue-ish purple, but when viewed under my desklamp it's much, much pinker in colour.

The model has been made in two weeks total, so I had to rush it a bit. In hindsight I would've liked to change the Lamassu's right arm to a more natural position and maybe add another bracelet. I'm really happy with the addition of the jewellery on his other arm; I feel it gives the front half of the model some more ...sophistication and a sign of intellect while the back half is more bestial.
The other thing I would've liked to change, in hindsight, is the rider. I would've liked to give it a little bit more "oomph" and distinguish him more as a lord. He looks too much like my regular troopers as is.

The rider is magnetised and completely removable in case I want to redo him or in case I want to field my Lamassu ridden by a Sorcerer Lord.

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-

This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 08:30 AM by JMR.

12-11-2013 12:46 PM
azhagmorglum
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 28

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX Lamassuazhagmorglum 12-11-2013

Only second place? This model is pure awesomeness ! Love the OSL from the axe

My painting log : O&Gs
Please, visit it, rate it and comment it Happy
12-11-2013 03:19 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 713
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuSkink 12-11-2013

I voted for you! The painting is so smooth. You used an airbrush didn't  you?  I'd love to know how you converted the rider.

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
12-11-2013 03:37 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuJMR 12-11-2013

Yep, airbrush-a-go-go!

The rider is one of Baggronor's Royal Guard models, the one in the center.

He's been cut in half and had his arms chopped off. I then replaced his right hand with a weapon+hand from Russian Alternative's models and lengthened the haft of the weapon by using a bit left over from cutting apart the original model. The weapon's blade was big enough to count as a two-handed weapon, so that was all that was required.

The bottom half is fully self-sculpted, including the saddle. The model's cloak was cut in half along with the rest of the model, but was then restored to billow in the wind.

His left arm was simply repositioned after the cut and then got the chains attached. I'm not happy with how he holds the chains, but I was really running out of time by then! The chains are actually not attached to the Lamassu, but hidden behind the horns so you can't really see. This allows the rider, with saddle and chains, to be removed and magnetised.

Of course there's some green stuff used to hide where I made the cuts.

I think that's about it!

I voted for your entry in return, Skink! Very awesome painting on that unit. There's no way I could manage to give that much attention to a whole unit, not to mention them all being the same model! I feel the plastic big hats are mediocre models at best, but your painting pulled them right into the awesome-zone.

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 04:33 PM by JMR.

12-11-2013 04:29 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuYodrin 12-11-2013

Thats an awesome model with an awesome paint job, great work!!!!!

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

12-11-2013 04:48 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 214
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuAdmiral 12-11-2013

Perfect painting, great use of head, body, Phoenix wings and Russian Alternative axe. Bonus points for mounting a Titan Wargames Dwarf on the Lammasu. Your entry had my vote.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Voting Deadline 20th of November  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
12-11-2013 07:47 PM
Goltor Lintrepide
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 65
Golden Hat - Silver Photobucket Migration                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuGoltor Lintrepide 12-12-2013

Everything on this model look awesome, a pure chef-d'oeuvre.
The only imperfection I could find is that right foot being à little weird all flat on that branch, but it's really the only thing!
Good work, your entry was my favorite!

Here's my army blog : http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12205
12-12-2013 01:02 AM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuBassman 12-12-2013

Awesome entry and one of my favorite. You got my vote!
I love your blue beards Big Grin

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://milanoarte.net/en/tour/the-last-s...ly-for-you

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

12-12-2013 07:31 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 11 Dec - GHXX LamassuJMR 12-12-2013

Yawarakaimatsuka Wrote:
The only imperfection I could find is that right foot being à little weird all flat on that branch, but it's really the only thing!

Absolutely true! I wanted to make it look like he pushed off against the tree, mid-flight. Unfortunately I drilled out the branch wrong for pinning and I didn't really have time to redo it. Ideally I would've liked to have him flying completely free, with a resculpted right foot, but I didn't know how to attach it to the base in an elegant (and sturdy enough) way.

You know though, Golden Hat works great for me. I've been in the hobby for around 10 years and the amount of models in my collection that are truly 100% finished can be counted on one hand. Most are thanks to GH. Being forced to cut some corners and get things done in time seems to be the only way to get me to finish stuff Tongue

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Bassman Wrote:
I love your blue beards Big Grin

Blue-beard-high-five!

My blogs:
12-12-2013 12:03 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 06-21-2014

Happy new year everyone!....  errr yeah, apparently this is the first update this year. 2014 only just started, right?....

Anyway, Thommy's new book spurred me to start some scratchbuilding. I'm working on an Altar of Hashut.

Like any proper Dawi Zharr construct, it all starts with a couple of slaves...

They'll be bound together using chains. The altar itself will contain a pool of lava, mostly because it's a good excuse to do some object source lightning when it comes time to paint the thing.
My main inspiration is a conversion done by Baggronor (I think?).

Let's see how far I can get with this thing.

My blogs:
06-21-2014 01:58 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutAdmiral 06-21-2014

Excellent start. A Chaos Dwarf army without slave miniatures toiling in backbreaking work isn't a proper CD collection. Wink

Just be sure to cut down the hard edges of the round Mantic bases and fill with modelling putty around them, because they'll stand out too much otherwise.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Voting Deadline 20th of November  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
06-21-2014 02:29 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 06-21-2014

So I've been happily working on a rough shape for my altar using some foam.

For those not familliar with the Altar of Hashut, it's a "mount" for a Sorcerer Lord or Pyrophant, dragged along by a bunch of wretched slaves and crewed by 2 Acolytes of Hashut.

Here's the rough shape I came up with:

The hexacon shape is the base for a pool of molten lava. I imagined the character standing behind/above the pool, with the two acolytes standing somewhere up on the front of the altar.

Then I remembered I have this fire elemental from Reaper. Here's a painted example:

(Not mine, obviously.)

So I figured it'd be cool to have that emerging from the pool of lava. The problem is that the altar gets crowded rather quickly:

The dwarves are just random models I had lying nearby on my desk.

So I am now considering going with a larger base after all, 100x150. This gives me a lot more room to play around with.

What do you think? Should I go with a (much) larger altar or go with 60x100? And if I should go for the smaller option, do you think the fire elemental fits, or is it too large?

If I go for the bigger base, I could opt to add wheels and have the slaves in front of the altar pushing it onwards. I would also make the altar itself less broad.

My blogs:
06-21-2014 06:14 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 533
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutThommy H 06-21-2014

I think the larger altar is a bit much for those slaves! Stick with the original plan and use the fire elemental for something else, I say.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

This post was last modified: 06-21-2014 06:23 PM by Thommy H.

06-21-2014 06:22 PM
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Slaves: 237
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashuttorn 06-22-2014

Very cool idea can't wait to see how it turns out.

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
06-22-2014 01:16 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutAdmiral 06-22-2014

Cool! Go for the small altar. Except for carriage burden for the slaves (there's probably some Daemon forged into it helping it levitate a bit) the big version somehow reminds me of a lazy pool deck on a cruise ship.

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
06-22-2014 02:24 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutBloodbeard 06-22-2014

Great altar.

I say make the small one. But put the cool fire elemental on it. I think it fits okay! The fire elemental doesn't weight anything. But a bigger altar would require some more slaves. Trolls or spawns.

Do an insert base for it. So it can be extended to 100x150. It would work good for a destroyer - being summoned scene.

06-22-2014 04:40 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 06-22-2014

Admiral Wrote:
... the big version somehow reminds me of a lazy pool deck on a cruise ship.

Haha! That's exactly what I was going for! I'll add some stretchers and sun screens.

In all seriousness, I know the slaves look too weedy to carry the big thing. I'd have to add more. Or wheels.

After your advice, and a good night's sleep, I think I'll go with the original plan. And if I do go bigger, it'd only be slightly bigger.

I need to figure out some way to do the back side though. It needs some height there. The fire elemental...err.. I mean, summoned K'daai(!) does add this. Baggronor used a statue standing behind his altar. You see the same kind of thing on the Cauldron of Blood. I'll have to do some tinkering.

My blogs:
06-22-2014 04:42 AM
Pages (13): « First < Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Return to Chaos - yet another chaos dwarf blog thymbrin-snakebeard 6 380 07-04-2019 02:34 PM
Last Post: Jackswift
  [HUGE update! 11-26-2013] The Legion of Hashut - Army Blog BoomBoom 68 40,350 05-04-2018 03:35 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Bloodbeards Chaos Dwarf Blog Bloodbeard 556 339,014 10-09-2017 03:19 PM
Last Post: Pappa Midnight
  To the honour of Hashut - Army Blog 07.16.15 Question to all readers DAGabriel 597 376,662 04-16-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Chaos Dwarf Army BIG blog/site - lots to see! ruinouspowers 0 1,981 10-21-2014 12:30 PM
Last Post: ruinouspowers

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites