Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Golden Hat #17
Author MessageGolden Hat #17
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1256
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Nicodemus 04-26-2012

Skink Wrote:
Uh, nuh!!! Being totally honest I'm sculpting a mechanical bull. There's no way I can pass that as a cannonBig Grin. It's time for me to think about a Magma Cannon I reckon! Thank you for your answers guyzCheers!

Well thanks for being honest Skink, instead of bending the rules of the GH to the breaking point Wink   I'm always loathed to omit entries, but some times I just think, 'good gravy, there's going to be some complaints about this', LOL!

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 05:54 PM by Nicodemus.

04-26-2012 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17GRNDL 04-26-2012

Nicodemus Wrote:
The goal here isn't to hinder creativity or to necessarily limit certain kinds of entries, per se,

Yay, more rules about imaginative bases. I'm not sure about this statement, but that pretty much ropes in a lot of creativity...

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 11:43 PM by GRNDL.

04-26-2012 11:30 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus

Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Nicodemus 04-27-2012

GRNDL Wrote:

Nicodemus Wrote:
The goal here isn't to hinder creativity or to necessarily limit certain kinds of entries, per se,

Yay, more rules about imaginative bases. I'm not sure about this statement, but that pretty much ropes in a lot of creativity...

Your sarcasm notwithstanding, Yes yes... But I'm sure you're more than well aware of some of the absolute fiascos we've had in the past with bases that have 'dwarfed' the intended subject matter. Those have been decidedly less fun for all parties involved than a few rules. There's always going to be some rules around which we frame the contests.  I do hope you can still find some way to have fun with this one though!

By the way... you'll have your chance at elaborate bases, if I get my way. So hang in there Takes Hat off
~N

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )

This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 12:45 AM by Nicodemus.

04-27-2012 12:42 AM
devlanmud
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 46

RE: Golden Hat #17devlanmud 04-27-2012

I had one in the pipe line but there is no way it would fit in the size guides. I'll come up with something else for this.

Devlanmud's Blog
04-27-2012 03:01 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1262
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #17clam 04-27-2012

Thought I'd understand what you were saying about basing - til you made that link to the GW hellcannon - and I was all confused again, so I'll ask then, would you say that these here are acceptable bases for GH 17:

(From GH 8)

Are they display bases or movement trays? I'd say movement bases as they are are in line with the GW Hellcannon, but ...?

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook

This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 04:59 AM by clam.

04-27-2012 04:55 AM
Ravenswood
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 1259
Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Ravenswood 04-27-2012

I hope I will be quick enough to finish my Deathshrieker before end of may.

Legion of Ravenswood blog: painting plan 2017 [147/1000]pts Sad
Off-topic painting thread: Fantasy, Sci-Fi
04-27-2012 05:22 AM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 260
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #17vulcanologist 04-27-2012

Are you allowed a battery eg. Two bolthrowers?

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY CHAOS DWARF ARMY BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7773

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

MY BLOOD BOWL BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10338

MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
04-27-2012 05:40 AM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Slaves: 533
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Thommy H 04-27-2012

Must we have this thing with bases every GH? Entries go on gaming bases, not display bases, that's all it is.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

04-27-2012 06:10 AM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               

@thommy : yep it's always the same yet someone still always bends it and is still allowed to enter and usually ends up placing!

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

04-27-2012 06:28 AM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Slaves: 533
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Thommy H 04-27-2012

Exactly. The rules are a little flexible so everyone should just chill out. It's just a fun painting contest.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

04-27-2012 06:46 AM
Nicodemus

RE: Golden Hat #17Nicodemus 04-27-2012

Clam, your first two are prefect examples that I had looked at when I was thinking of the rules... and they are examples of going too far.  You can see why if you just look at what those warmachines look like.  The first one has way too many crew, but it is more base than warmachine.  Ditto with the second, but not as extreme.  You don't get to explain your entry when you submit it, so if the first entry was supposed to count as a Hellcannon so that it can be entered on a 100x150 base, it's not going to work. The size and scale suggests maybe an Earthshaker, and clearly the base is overkill for a contest that's supposed to be about painting a warmachine.  The third picture I'd probably allow because it's just shy of being too big or gawdy, but it's still a beyond what was intended for this GH.  

If any of you really can't figure it out, don't put it on a base!
~N

This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 07:08 AM by Nicodemus.

04-27-2012 07:04 AM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1262
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #17clam 04-27-2012

Thommy H Wrote:
Must we have this thing with bases every GH? Entries go on gaming bases, not display bases, that's all it is.

Love you too, mate Wink

But I actually think it was quite justified here, as that new Hellcannon base looks quite like a "display base" to me - and as I don't play WFB 8th ed I don't actually have any ideas of what's legal, and what's not. Mr. Thommy H obviously didn't needed clarification, but I did - so thanks for clarifying, Nicodemus.

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook
04-27-2012 08:34 AM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17GRNDL 04-27-2012

vulcanologist Wrote:
@thommy : yep it's always the same yet someone still always bends it and is still allowed to enter and usually ends up placing!

Actually, they are usually removed from the contest and the rules altered after models submitted, i.e: right in the middle of the contest.  Somebody "bends" the rules? I think in most cases the rules are stated and often questioned by entrants and given the go-ahead by the rule makers, so are "competition" legal. Its just the other entrants who don't agree - and they are usually biased. /peers at Vulcanologist.

Thommy H Wrote:

Exactly. The rules are a little flexible so everyone should just chill out. It's just a fun painting contest.

Except that they are gaming bases. Decorated gaming bases. A display base is usually large, plinth or dais like in appearance, with a title, or frame.  A gaming base and movement tray is of a standardized size for the model or unit.  Both gaming and display bases are usually allowed to provide context to the model on it, without being considered "for display purposes only."

You guys really love your double standard. "Its just a fun painting contest", unless someone submits a creative base design... Its a shame that peeps don't regard the models being entered with this attitude in mind, rather than using it as an anvil to get their own way. Let the votes decide what is too big or "gaudy".

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

04-27-2012 08:38 AM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

@grndl : True true. Don't mean to sound hypocritical. I actually see no problem with all those earlier pics in this thread (unlike Nico and he's the mod!) what I sometimes don't understand are the entries that are often plainly way outside the competition remit. But hey at the end of the day this is meant to be a FUN contest and I'm all for creativity. To the best of my knowledge I've always voted for the winning entry! Didn't mean to come across as a winge I love Golden Hat and kudos to everyone who enters!

04-27-2012 08:52 AM
Eddandme
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 122

RE: Golden Hat #17Eddandme 04-27-2012

clam Wrote:

Thommy H Wrote:

Love you too, mate Wink

But I actually think it was quite justified here, as that new Hellcannon base looks quite like a "display base" to me - and as I don't play WFB 8th ed I don't actually have any ideas of what's legal, and what's not. Mr. Thommy H obviously didn't needed clarification, but I did - so thanks for clarifying, Nicodemus.

I would say no bases at all unless the machine is supposed to represent a hellcannon but only then with the proper monster base (100mmx150mm)

04-27-2012 09:28 AM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Slaves: 1334
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17cornixt 04-27-2012

Just don't make the base overly large, it's that simple.

If you are unsure if yours is too big then it probably is.

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

04-27-2012 01:46 PM
Blue in VT
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 361
Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Blue in VT 04-27-2012

cornixt Wrote:
Just don't make the base overly large, it's that simple.

If you are unsure if yours is too big then it probably is.

I think this is the best post so far....use your head...if you question...pare it backs little.

Blue

A huge thanks to Pyro for my Avatar!!
My painting/collecting blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

04-27-2012 06:03 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Grimstonefire 04-27-2012

Am I the only one who finds it easy to judge the merits of a miniature and ignore the base?

Maybe not completely, but enough that it doesn't effect my favourites.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
04-27-2012 06:13 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 88

RE: Golden Hat #17khedyarl 04-27-2012

My only concern is that a maximum of three crewmembers makes the Ogre Slave on the Dreadquake inadmissable to this competition, which is unfortunate.  Is it possible, Nico, to change the ruling to be "If the miniature is a Forgeworld or Games Workshop miniature that comes stock with four crew, than it is permitted"?  Or something similar?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate it's contents.  - HPL

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=11590
04-27-2012 07:13 PM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Da Crusha 04-27-2012

it kinda sucks that there is all of this debate over cool bases specifically for the hellcannon. that thing has a huge base now and if we decorate it so it won't be boring then we'll be penalized. other warmachines dont come with bases so its not as big of a deal, but the hell cannon specifically has to have a big base now.

on the other hand, I know the competition is about making a warmachine and not about making cool decorations.

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2

This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 08:45 PM by Da Crusha.

04-27-2012 08:43 PM
Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites