Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Golden Hat #17
Author MessageGolden Hat #17
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 515
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17DAGabriel 04-29-2012

Oh hell, I started with my hellcannon, will put it on a base I like and if someone thinks the base is over the top I will take it out of the competition.
After all, it is about getting the models done and in a fashion I would like to play with them. Can`t see that a tuft of grass makes a 20mm base a "scenic" base, and if I plant a small tree or a big rock on a 100*100 base i think it is the same.
BTW, a really good scenic 100*100 base and a warmachine would need real speedpainting to finish in the deadline.
I trust that the jury will find a good way to keep the competition fair and enjoyable for all who want to have fun here.

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
04-29-2012 03:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
theforgefather
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 90

RE: Golden Hat #17theforgefather 04-29-2012

Well, at least we know what it is meant to look like this time...

unlike the k'daai! Wink

Renegades+Heretics http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/pos...45610.page
Chaos Dwarfs! http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid174878

04-29-2012 04:25 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Golden Hat #17JMR 04-29-2012

Wow, I'm surprised at the heat that this GH seems to generate.

I'll go and paint up a machine that my dawi zharr bring along to war and see where we end up Happy

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-
04-29-2012 06:17 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 499
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Xander 04-30-2012

Woo! A redux of my favourite Golden Hat (and the only one in which I have won a medal).

I should start planning something. Big Grin

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter
04-30-2012 09:25 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1256
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Nicodemus 04-30-2012

Here's some quick background on what some of you seem to have perceived as my arbitrary rules -

Firstly, the fact that the current Hellcannon has a recommended base size is the only reason any base was considered at all for this GH, otherwise there would have been no basing allowed.

Secondly, the contest is to paint a warmachine and its crew.  

With that being said, here's what we're going to do:

1) Competition Rules:
The new basing rules are:
Basing is optional.  Maximum base size of 200x200mm, with no other restrictions. Display bases can be used, as well as plinths, dioramas, etc.

The category will stay as Warmachines, with Hellcannons and Siege(Ass) Cannons as the only exceptions/extensions to the warmachine type.

2) I will be returning to maintenance duities and will no longer be volunteering my time and effort toward these community service oriented tasks; which includes initiating behind-the-scenes polls of the staff, admins and immortals on Golden Hat and Artisan's Contest subject matter. Nor will I be compiling entries for judging, or tallying votes. In summary, I am removing myself from involvement in organizing any of the Golden Hat or Artisan's Contests for the forseeable future - although CDO members claim the contest rules are not fun, it's decidedly less fun to organize and run these things. I'll refraim from quitting indefinitely, but I'm certainly not going to be involved for a while.

I hope this doesn't leave any further bad taste in anyone's mouth. I'd really much rather carry on and see everyone focus on making great models and spend their time on doing a fantastic paint job, rather than be on here getting worked up over a silly contest to paint a toy, for no greater reward than a virtual medal that's only 32x32 pixels.  I sincerely hope those of you who felt the basing issue was so important for your entry and creativity in this contest that you will come up with something truly amazing.

All the best,
~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

04-30-2012 03:22 PM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 515
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17DAGabriel 04-30-2012

Hmm, feared that such a thing might happen and am truly sorry that my fear wasn`t wrong.
Can understand that decision, Nicodemus, and regret that the reactions/posts here forced you to draw such consequences.

Can only quote HB here: The rules are simple - the inability to accept those rules is what is taking the fun out of the competition.

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
04-30-2012 03:59 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Grimstonefire 04-30-2012

To avoid an unnecessary waste of time typing, there is some history of this sort of thing that I am all too aware of here on CDO I'm sad to say.

I was not surprised, but disappointed as ever.  Some people never learn (the same few people over and over). Mad

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 04:18 PM by Grimstonefire.

04-30-2012 04:04 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1389
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Zanko 04-30-2012

Sad to hear that Nico! Sad

Imo you make a great job! Takes Hat off

I don't understand all this grumbings - I just want to have fun, there are enough sorrows and anger in the real world!

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

04-30-2012 04:41 PM
zobo1942
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 19
Slaves: 109

RE: Golden Hat #17zobo1942 04-30-2012

I'm with Zanko.

04-30-2012 04:45 PM
warh
Lammasu

Slaves: 267
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Golden Hat #17warh 04-30-2012

Sent my pictures in!
Feels weird to be done so early Unsure

"In White Dwarf We Trust"

04-30-2012 05:13 PM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1256
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Nicodemus 04-30-2012

warh Wrote:
Sent my pictures in!

Shock

Holy speedy!! We bow down to you, great forge master!

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

04-30-2012 06:57 PM
warh
Lammasu

Slaves: 267
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Golden Hat #17warh 04-30-2012

Nicodemus Wrote:

warh Wrote:
Sent my pictures in!

Shock

Holy speedy!! We bow down to you, great forge master!

Actually I've been working on it for a couple of months and just happened to suit this GH.

"In White Dwarf We Trust"

04-30-2012 07:01 PM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17GRNDL 05-01-2012

Grimstonefire Wrote:
I was not surprised, but disappointed as ever.  Some people never learn (the same few people over and over). Mad

Least of all you, eh Grim?

I find it ironic that peeps are calling out some people as miscreants for having an opinion and being prosecuted on behalf of others who whined about the rules. Yes folks, it was entrants who whined about "display" bases, even though there were NO rules against them and then the mods changed the rules after entries were submitted, resulting in disqualifications even though the rules never forbade them in the first place and in some cases, were even questioned and given the go-ahead after a judges ruling. And yet somehow we're the ones with ego... Wow..

I'd rather not see Nico fall on his sword, especially since I don't really see anything to get miffed at, but at least he is taking responsibility for the decision, either way, whichever way. I think that should be applauded. It might even set a precedent.

For those shaking their heads because they clearly "don't get what the deal is" - you be thankful this rules "uproar" happens BEFORE you spend 6 weeks on the thing that was solely meant to be a GH entry, but is found to have broken a subjective rule, possibly at the urging of one of your fellow forum members, who will go on to think of YOU as the egotist.

re: bragging rights and a 32x32 icon.

Clearly, GH *MEANS* something. Might not to you, but it definitely means something. It is a token of skill and creativity. It is respect on this forum. Sure, those who have won, some several times, make light of it sometimes, but it is still the focus of the pre-eminent activity of this community. Quite frankly, if you don't care about it, great - I'm happy for you - but don't try to take that away from those that do.

I wish the best of luck to those that enter.  Cheers!

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 12:09 AM by GRNDL.

05-01-2012 12:02 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1705
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Abecedar 05-01-2012

I think I will still enter but just have a bad taste right now. Am really over all this type of bickering about rules, spoils what little fun I have.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 02:44 AM by Abecedar.

05-01-2012 02:39 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Slaves: 713
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Skink 05-01-2012

Uh, considering that all these problems started because of the gold GH medal sitting at the left of this post maybe I shoul just shut up but I'm with Nico. This is all about having fun painting beautiful minis guyz. Let's not stoop to a completely different level.

Also, I'd like to ask Nico to reconsider his decision. As you all now we are a bit low on staff right now and he is making a wonderful job organizing these competitions.

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!

This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 02:57 AM by Skink.

05-01-2012 02:56 AM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1264
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #17clam 05-01-2012

@Skink,
No, this didn’t start with your entry, so don’t blame yourself and your well-deserved medal. You awesome entry was found questionable, but also allowed. No this is probably more about does entries that was banned and re-drawn you didn’t see (or only saw a glimpse of).

Nicodemus Wrote:
2) I will be returning to maintenance duities and will no longer be volunteering my time and effort toward these community service oriented tasks; which includes initiating behind-the-scenes polls of the staff, admins and immortals on Golden Hat and Artisan's Contest subject matter. Nor will I be compiling entries for judging, or tallying votes. In summary, I am removing myself from involvement in organizing any of the Golden Hat or Artisan's Contests for the forseeable future - although CDO members claim the contest rules are not fun, it's decidedly less fun to organize and run these things. I'll refraim from quitting indefinitely, but I'm certainly not going to be involved for a while.

Well, I have already said what I needed to say. But I am glad, to see you’ll loose up on the restrictions and allow members/participants room for innovation and artistic freedom. Whether you believe it or not we are actually on the same side here. Think everyone here wants GH to look the best – and from my point of view it’s done the best  if you leave it to the awesome hobbyists to interpret the given theme, and stop regulating them more than absolutely needed.
And of course, I’m sorry about your decision. I have nothing bad to say about you or your work. You took over a job with an already given format - and did it quite well, actually.

Grimstonefire Wrote:
To avoid an unnecessary waste of time typing, there is some history of this sort of thing that I am all too aware of here on CDO I'm sad to say.

My conscience is clean, but how is yours? Can’t possibly come as a surprise that I mainly blame you for all of this. It all started the day you suddenly found it necessary to put sensor on certain entries and on voting - and here after felt an urgent need to regulate GH in a way that mainly fit your gaming/modelling, remember? And we still have to work under these unnecessary restrictions.  So look inwards, “mate”  - before throwing around all your cruel comments and flaming attacks, please – as you are as much to blame for this “discussion”, as I am.

And, I might be a 2nd rank member to your eye, but I feel I have as much a right to be heard as you have, even if I don’t praise the current Warhammer edition that high. CDO is as much for fantasy gamers (all systems), modelers, collectors, painters as it is for The Tamurkhan fanatics. So can I please ask you to respect my right to disagree with you (and organizers) in these matters, please. Oh, and do you know what? Rule changes when people start arguing against them, a rather democratic mechanism, IMO. So I think I actually "learned" my lesson.

Nicodemus Wrote:
I hope this doesn't leave any further bad taste in anyone's mouth. I'd really much rather carry on and see everyone focus on making great models and spend their time on doing a fantastic paint job, rather than be on here getting worked up over a silly contest to paint a toy, for no greater reward than a virtual medal that's only 32x32 pixels.  I sincerely hope those of you who felt the basing issue was so important for your entry and creativity in this contest that you will come up with something truly amazing.
All the best,
~N

There are actually no winners here – and the supercilious attitude and arrogance from senior members here has certainly cooled my interest for participating in any future GH competitions – and killed my fun. So, I will - yet again, and just like you - evaluate my presence here and involvement in CDO. I haven’t felt this shit and more low-life since my first visit at my in-laws. So "no", don’t expect my involvement in this any more, it’s not worth it – cause like you just said it’s just about some silly toy. A toy, dear to me, but still a toy.  

I though we were all serving a greater mutual purpose here exposing our beloved dying race – but I’m obviously mistaken! This seems to be about power and the right to oppress other peoples hobby.

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook

This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 08:58 AM by clam.

05-01-2012 07:30 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Slaves: 713
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Skink 05-01-2012

Guys, are you serious?
1) the basing issue has been solved
2) all members are ready to grace us with yet another bunch of superb conversion/paint jobs
3) all of us is contributing to make this community great, members, staffers and ex staffers alike so please, stop snapping at each other!!!

Now, can we just all be happy that there's a new online competition ahead? I am. And I am going to participate THIS TIME respecting rules as they are written. And I would like to see amazing hobbyists such as Clam and Nico to post their entries. This time I want and I hope to see more than 30 entries!!!Happy

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
05-01-2012 07:54 AM
nilbog
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 115

RE: Golden Hat #17nilbog 05-01-2012

Can I submit my entry by email?

Nilbog's Chaos Dwarf blog      
05-01-2012 08:03 AM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Slaves: 1334
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17cornixt 05-01-2012

This is just plain bizarre. I am seriously dumbfounded by these reactions. If there are no further issues then I guess this is resolved. I'll just leave it at that.

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

05-01-2012 08:28 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 499
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #17Xander 05-01-2012

nilbog Wrote:
Can I submit my entry by email?

This is a sure fire way to get overlooked or missed when the entries are being collected. Please PM them to the Golden Hat member in the usual way.

Cheers! Cheers!

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter
05-01-2012 08:43 AM
Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites