Poll: Who has made the best Hobgoblin Hero?
This poll is closed.
Entry #1 25.93% 14 25.93%
Entry #2 1.85% 1 1.85%
Entry #3 0% 0 0%
Entry #4 0% 0 0%
Entry #5 5.56% 3 5.56%
Entry #6 1.85% 1 1.85%
Entry #7 9.26% 5 9.26%
Entry #8 55.56% 30 55.56%
Entry #9 0% 0 0%
Entry #10 0% 0 0%
Total 54 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Golden Hat #3 - Voting Thread
Author MessageGolden Hat #3 - Voting Thread
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1225
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadWillmark 10-01-2007

#8. the Colors are great and the painting is clean and smooth.

My Want List / My Trade List
10-01-2007 06:47 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 503
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadXander 10-01-2007

Kyte Wrote:
You forgot my entry again... Is it on purpose?

Thanks

- Kyte

Crap, I did??? Shock

Please re-send it to my PMs.

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
10-01-2007 10:31 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 503
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadXander 10-01-2007

Kyte Wrote:
You forgot my entry again... Is it on purpose?

Thanks

- Kyte

I just checked my PMs.

I dunno Kyte.  The contest is supposed to inspire new creations... it's not really for entering models you have already made...

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
10-01-2007 10:33 PM
angryboy2k
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 4
Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadangryboy2k 10-02-2007

It's a tough choice for sure. There are a lot of good models here.

For me it came down to either #8 or #1, either model I'd be proud to call my own (as I would their creators' respective armies actually), but I voted #1 in the end for its originality.

I did also want to mention that the wooden handle (of all things) on Entry #7 came across as being especially well painted. I hate painting wood. The rest of the figure is also very well painted and it may actually be the best based figure out of the 10.

Steve

This post was last modified: 10-02-2007 04:15 AM by angryboy2k.

10-02-2007 04:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clam
Slave to Darkness

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1264
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadclam 10-02-2007

So many great conversions/paintjobs here Takes Hat off- but I have to chose only one - wright?Wink
It's nice to see so many new ideas how to represent the hobbos - and #1 and #7 are really great examples of this "new look", but they are not hobbos - just beautiful gnoblars and gobbos-slaves IMO - sorry!

I will also vote for the classic mongul wolf rider. #8 is exactly how I always have pictured a Wolf Riding Hero and the paintjob is brilliant preformed. And definitely the best GW wolf I have seen.

I look forward to hear how this convertion was made!

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook
10-02-2007 05:44 AM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1337
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadcornixt 10-02-2007

Now that I am sure that I won't win, I'll post my mini-blog of my entry.  I never expected to win but I didn't want to influence the voting at all.  There are some astoundingly bold entries, some of them look almost sculpted from scratch and outside the competition they would be getting huge amounts of praise.  Other ones have relatively simple conversions that worked very effectively.  The effort that went into all of these deserves a beer at least!  In the end I went for #7 because it is much closer to how I'd like my Hobgblins to be.  I'm sure that if something other than a Gnoblar head had been used then it would have received a lot more votes.  The shading and highlighting are wonderful, the pose is great.

It's always a small shame that the top 3 entries get 95% of the votes, not matter how well done the 4-6th entries are done.  Might be nice to see how the entries would have done if people marked them out of 10 like on coolminiornot.

Mini-blog of my Hobgoblin Hero for Golden Hat#3

Part 1 - Construction
Finished the sculpting on Sunday, giving me a week to paint it.  The base model is an ordinary BFSP night goblin with a bow.  I replaced the bow in the left hand with a shield from a Desert Dog since it was the smallest shield I had - bigger shields just looked odd - sculpting a handle for him to grip onto.  I completely replace the right arm with the commandar arm from the plastic Dark Elf box, cutting the sword down.  I chose this arm because the hand was closest in size to the right hand, goblin hands look huge in comparison.  Only after I had stuck it on did I realise that the left hand is actually a lot bigger than the right, it just isn't noticeable because the hands are so far apart.  I sculpted a bit of armour onto the left arm to match the right.  The normal feet were completely removed and I sculpted on some new ones.  I had orignally planned to make the shoes a bit pointier but I guess my sculpting skills don't stretch that far at the moment.  The quiver on his back had the arrows removed and replaced by a dagger, and the hood was turned into a traditional Hobgoblin hat.  In total it took me four greenstuffing sessions to complete, and I used the surplus (there is ALWAYS a surplus) each time to finish my neglected blunderbussers, mostly done while watching Family Guy and South Park (just 50 episodes left on my DVR to see...)

Part 2 - Painting
I didn't manage to get hold of the paint I wanted so I used what I already had.  I had intended to paint his skin an orangey-brown to mark him as a Hobgoblin as opposed to a Goblin.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get any paint of the right colour and it was hard to mix what I had into the right colour.  It would also mean I'd have to repaint all my current HG models, which I don't fancy - especially if I can't mix the right colour for just one model.  So green he is.  I've gone for an almost classic GW Hobgoblin colour scheme, the light brownish clothing and red hat.  Armour under the clothes is hinted at by the metal on the arms.  He looked too plain so I planned to add detail on the edges of the clothes, but ran out of time.  Finding a colour scheme that matched the rest of the model was difficult.  Too much red could be overwhelming so I had to make it more subtle.  I origonally had lots of gold but it really didn't suit the beige clothes so I had to repaint that, and the clothes had to be repainted because the brown wash I put over it made it far too dark.  This meant I had to repaint 90% of the model in the last two days, and had almost no time to base it.  Plus I have very little time each day for painting as it is.

Part 3 - Finishing Touches
The base would have been the standard light green that the rest of my greenskin related armies have, but I can no longer get that shade in a form that covers well (the manufacturer waters it down so much now that it takes at least two coats).  Bestial Brown covers really well and matches well as a contrast colour so I might go back and redo the edges of all my other CD models I have converted so far.  
I've named him Wazgab the Skinna, using my own name generator programme (more on that soon).  

Conclusions
I would have added a sash if I had more time for sculpting.  I have to be more patient when sculpting, so many times I would finish one part and move onto another, only to squash the part I had just done.  In this case I didn't really have the time for patience though!  I took some pics of it before painting but only a couple turned out okay, but these weren't in the best positions, and I forgot to try for some more before painting.  My white paint was not responding very well to the moist air here.  Despite now living further from the coast than ever before, the humidity is so much higher.  I'll have to adapt my (admittedly rusty) technique if I want to paint my hordes.  The black works much better though!  The GW employees here undercoat using the grey foundation paint then put a single coat of Skull White over the top - if undercoating with just white you need at least three coats to get a consistant shade.  As if I'd ever do a High Elf army anyway...

The extra height he gained from new feet and standing on a rock made him taller than the other BFSP Night Goblin models that I will be using unconverted as Hobgoblins (except for handweapon conversions and a HG colour scheme) but he is still a little short next to the 4th/5th ed HGs.  Got some new paint for the rest of the HG unit so it should be pretty quick once I start.

Overall I am pleased with his stance and the conversions I did to him, another week of painting would have helped with making him stand out a little more, rather than him just looking like a standard Hobgoblin, but I would probably have started a week later anyway.  I will spend a bit more time on him once I've got the HG unit done so he can be used as the unit leader and look like one.  Maybe some horns added to the hat, more decoration painted on.

10-02-2007 02:46 PM
Snotling
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 26
Army Showcase Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadSnotling 10-02-2007

i voted number 8, because it is well sculpted, beautiful painted and looks like a real new-school hobbo-leader!

10-02-2007 02:57 PM
Canix
Spirit of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 10

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadCanix 10-02-2007

cornixt Wrote:
It's always a small shame that the top 3 entries get 95% of the votes, not matter how well done the 4-6th entries are done.Might be nice to see how the entries would have done if people marked them out of 10 like on coolminiornot.

That would be a good idea i voted for 8 but all are really good and deserve a mention for being wonderful takes that fit really well with there creators armies.
For my very simple conversion i ended up posting an earlier WIP picture because after another days painting i just couldnt get a clear pic(after over 30 attemptsShock) using a tripod too!
Takes Hat off to all i say

Realists are hampered by there inability to comprehend the true nature of reality
The Pledge 2010:
Bought:11 Painted:12

This post was last modified: 10-02-2007 04:10 PM by Canix.

10-02-2007 04:06 PM
The Raven Away
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 0

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadThe Raven 10-03-2007

I had a hard time choosing between 7 and 8, but the steppe Khan won. My vote goes to number 8. Beautiful painting job and the Hobgoblin is...well, how Hobgoblins should beHappy

10-03-2007 03:09 AM
Kobarf
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadKobarf 10-03-2007

Voted 8 too.

He really looks like an arrogant son of a...hobbo.
The sculpting is great and the painting looks really crisp. I also quite like the backbanners.
And the pose of the wolf is just brilliant, like he's lurking for some prey.
Gotta love that squig-bunny though Takes Hat off.
You can see the quality of the entries improve every competition.
Congrats to all entrants!

Kobarf

You know what they say: the bigger the hat, the smaller the...
10-03-2007 01:28 PM
Cotter
Hobgoblin

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadCotter 10-04-2007

First, to all of you, great models. Nice work, well done!  

For me, it was either #1 or #8, both really nice modells with a lot of inspirational ideas.
But then, finally, I voted for #1. Mostly because my girlfriend forced me to do.
...rabbit ears... *g*

10-04-2007 08:56 AM
the trooper
Hobgoblin

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadthe trooper 10-04-2007

Wow number one is gooood,really good.
But it is a shame that only number 1 and number 8 are competing against each other because the are really,really good.
Tere are many good hobs here but if i have to pic one it has to be 1.

10-04-2007 02:09 PM
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 1271

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadAGPO 10-05-2007

I was torn, like so many of you between 1 and 8. In the end I chose 8 because a) It looks like my idea of a hobgoblin khan of the steepes and b) The reposed wlf and quality basing really makes the model look superb

Check out my blogs!:
Chaos Dwarfs (6/6/09)Other shiny things (13/11/11)

I follow the Grumpy But Responsible Gamers' Charter. Join us!

Sojourn Wrote:
FYI Wilmark, the only alcohol I'm drinking is from that bucket

10-05-2007 03:54 AM
ashur
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 97

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadashur 10-05-2007

Number 8. A green Ghengis Khan. As mongolian as it must be.

Dawi-Zharr of all countries, unite !

minies:
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...67#pid8567

Background:

Chaos Dwarfs and Kingdoms of Ind - http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid289243
The Dragon Isles - http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17958
The edge of the World - http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=18055

Estalia:
the nature of Estalia - http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17975
The priestess and the tarasca - http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid290710
10-05-2007 07:18 PM
grom
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1
Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadgrom 10-05-2007

Canix Wrote:

cornixt Wrote:
It's always a small shame that the top 3 entries get 95% of the votes, not matter how well done the 4-6th entries are done.  Might be nice to see how the entries would have done if people marked them out of 10 like on coolminiornot.

That would be a good idea i voted for 8 but all are really good and deserve a mention for being wonderful takes that fit really well with there creators armies.
For my very simple conversion i ended up posting an earlier WIP picture because after another days painting i just couldnt get a clear pic(after over 30 attemptsShock) using a tripod too!
Takes Hat off to all i say

start begging Xander to write some php/sql scripts for that kind of voting Wink

CMON - mine and my friend works
10-05-2007 09:23 PM
Pyro Stick
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 15
Slaves: 960
Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadPyro Stick 10-06-2007

Awww i wanted 1 to win but its 15 votes behind. *cry cry*

My Chaos Dwarf Collection: GHXXVI

10-06-2007 06:13 AM
zagor66
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadzagor66 10-06-2007

I wonder what the next Golden hat will hold , maybe Ill enter with my Black Dwarf......HA HA HA HA[sorry].

"And quoth the historians:
Strengh of the Inferno
Mind of the Heavens
Speed of the Tempest
Thus a miracle was born"
Dynasty warriors 4

"Suffer no guilt ye who
weilds this in the name of
Crom"

Working on a karak-a-karak dwarf army and Archaons Horde.
10-06-2007 06:15 AM
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 1271

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting ThreadAGPO 10-06-2007

Maybe the next golden hat should be for a core unit, to encourage people to get theri armies done...

Check out my blogs!:
Chaos Dwarfs (6/6/09)Other shiny things (13/11/11)

I follow the Grumpy But Responsible Gamers' Charter. Join us!

Sojourn Wrote:
FYI Wilmark, the only alcohol I'm drinking is from that bucket

10-06-2007 06:35 AM
zagor66
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadzagor66 10-06-2007

Or could be the best army but that might spoil the other Golden Hats.

"And quoth the historians:
Strengh of the Inferno
Mind of the Heavens
Speed of the Tempest
Thus a miracle was born"
Dynasty warriors 4

"Suffer no guilt ye who
weilds this in the name of
Crom"

Working on a karak-a-karak dwarf army and Archaons Horde.
10-06-2007 06:40 AM
grunts
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: The Golden Hat #3 - Voting Threadgrunts 10-06-2007

or bull centaur lord.  that might make for some inspired creations...and perhaps less mismatched votes.

Sarcasm...beats killing people

10-06-2007 06:42 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Golden Hat XXXIII: Voting! Admiral 22 5,777 09-29-2019 12:26 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Golden Hat XXXII - Voting! Admiral 17 6,272 03-28-2019 02:52 PM
Last Post: Gargolock
  Golden Hat XXXI - Voting! Admiral 10 2,716 11-22-2018 09:51 AM
Last Post: Admiral