Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Sort of becoming an Army Blog)
Author MessageYear of the Chaos Dwarf  (Sort of becoming an Army Blog)
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 20

Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Sort of becoming an Army Blog)Bad Gram Northern 01-25-2013

Hello folks,
Allthough I've been a fan of chaos dwarfs for over a decade I never got down to collecting them. However 2013 will be my year of the Chaos Dwarf. I'm gonna build an army based on the LoA list from Tamurkhan. I'd Love to do an all Big Hats army but due to budget restrainsts I simply cannot afford that. I'm slowly trying to pick up some big hats at reasonable prices here and there but in the meantime I'm gonna stick to low cost alternatives.

So far I've purchased Mantic Goblin archers (at €0,5 p/m) and Mantic halfbreeds for Bull Centaurs.

I'll propably use Titan wargames dwarfs as ironsworn and/or infernal guard though I'm contemplating using AoW iron shields as infernal guards.
Update: since writing this Russian Alternative has released the lovely Chaos Dwarfs sculpted by Rozmax and I've decided to go for them because of the big hats Happy

at €5 per model these babys are going to be my fireborn:
http://puppetswar.eu/img/p/178-669-thickbox.jpg

I'm sorry for the lack of pictures. but this project will start in februari.
any ideas, feedback,... please feel free to comment

Update 8/04/2014: So 2013 didn't turn out to be the Year of the Chaos Dwarf as expected but I am slowly building my army and 2014 might be the yearSick I have since abandoned my idea of going low-cost and decided that my first priority is to make an army that looks good. Since this is my third army this is mainly a fun hobby project and I'll try to convert and scratchbuild as much as I can. This will propably slow things down but hey I got time Cheers!

2017 Image Salvage

alter ego of Commander Bernhardt

This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 01:42 AM by Admiral.

01-25-2013 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1389
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)tjub 01-26-2013

I was thinking about them as well, worried that they might be a bit too small though...

My various other hobby projects on Instagram.

01-26-2013 04:53 AM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Kera foehunter 01-26-2013

Well  i wish you luck on you 2013 challenge..

The last of female chaos dwarf
01-26-2013 09:08 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Bad Gram Northern 01-26-2013

tjub Wrote:
I was thinking about them as well, worried that they might be a bit too small though...

hmm, I fear you might be right. I didn't bother to look at their measurements before Sorcerer they do seem a little small. thanks for pointing that out. Now I'm torn between ordering them anyway and sculpting some extra height on them or completly scultp them out of scratch. I was planning to scultp some armour on them anyway

01-26-2013 10:55 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)tjub 01-27-2013

IMO having only T4 and W2 they dont need to be that big, and I wouldnt have any problems with them beeing 28mm or there about. A matter of taste I guess...

01-27-2013 04:49 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)JMR 01-27-2013

Wouldn't these guys be about the same size as your bloodletter-k'daai, Tjub?

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-
01-27-2013 05:52 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)tjub 01-27-2013

JMR Wrote:
Wouldn't these guys be about the same size as your bloodletter-k'daai, Tjub?

There about I guess, havent seen any size comparison.

01-27-2013 04:02 PM
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Bad Gram Northern 01-27-2013

I made a mock up of how I plan to make a Lammasu (see attachment)
I'll propably stick to that colour sheme to.
Only difference is that I'll use the raging heroes Shedu head

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-27-2013 06:01 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)JMR 01-27-2013

If I'm not mistaken, Xander did a conversion like that not too long ago. It might've been someone else doing it though...
Come to think of it, I remember seeing a conversion with those parts on Warseer too. It was posed to climb over some rocks iirc. I think inspired by the Raging Heroes Shedu's pose.

A quick google found me the one I had seen on Warseer: link This one apparently uses the Manticore kit.

Edit: and here's Xander's version.

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-

This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 07:41 AM by JMR.

01-27-2013 06:45 PM
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Bad Gram Northern 01-28-2013

thanks for the links JMR! those are inspirational!
I'm not a big fan of the warseer pose but it's inspirational none the less!

01-28-2013 09:25 AM
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Bad Gram Northern 04-10-2013

Hello folks, I got started in earnest on my chaos dwarf project
So this is what I got so far:
40 mantic goblins (10 assembled so far)
10 mantic halfbreeds (6 assembled so far)
a handfull of chaos dwarfs
and two of those cheap Russian cannons.
A friend also gave me his O&G bitsbox include around 50 goblins, including pieces to make 5 wolf riders (without wolf) so I've got enough goblins for now Happy

enough off the boring stuff, here's the intersting bit: my Lamassu conversion:

I used the body of the GW Chimerae with the Raging heroes Shedu's head.
The fun part about using the chimerae is that you get three spare heads! I've magnetised the heads so I can also use it as...

a manticore:

and even a Griffin

and as soon as I get my hands on a taurus or minotaur head I can use it as a great taurus as well!

Since I have both an Empire and WoC army I can make maximum use of my Manticore/griffin/tarus/lamassu Angry

I just don't know how to paint it. Should I stick to my original idea (see attachement in a previous post) or some natural fur/animal colour? Or should I paint him taurus red? all thoughts and comments are heartily welcomedTakes Hat off

04-10-2013 03:30 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Yodrin 04-10-2013

You got a god start there, and the Lammasu looks great

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

04-10-2013 03:59 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1349
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Grimstonefire 04-10-2013

Personally I would say that blue would be harder to do well on the skin compared to doing it mostly black with red wings etc.

Maybe black highlighted with brown or red for the skin and black highlighted to grey for the beard etc.

I like the griffon with dreadlocks! Happy

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 04:21 PM by Grimstonefire.

04-10-2013 04:20 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 72

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Soulassassin 04-11-2013

Looks like a good start, really liking the green stuff work you did on your ChiLamaFin Happy

Quick question: How are you finding the Mantic goblins? Have considered them myself, but have found some of the other Mantic stuff being rather underwhelming...

Soulassassin`s Big Hat Extravagaza
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12743

"Ghrask Dragh has sent you 20 Slaves. The reason is side boob"
04-11-2013 02:46 AM
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Bad Gram Northern 04-11-2013

@ Soulassassin: I was quite dissapointed in the those goblins. The details and quality are all quite good but frankly I don't see why they make multipart models when they lack so much variety, they all look the same! also the mold lines are quite horrible and the place where they connect the piece with the plastic sprue is not chosen well. Usually right on the forehead or the fingers etc.
Meh I got these at even half of mantic official price so they are dirt cheap but I did expect more off them. They aren't bad but don't hold to high expectations. You get what you pay for

Last night I got an idea, what if I paint it like an albino? it would make it easier to sell as a griffin. What do you think about an Albino lamassu? is it possible? and what colour should the hair be?

04-11-2013 03:05 AM
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Bad Gram Northern 05-03-2013

well, progress is slow. that's mainly due to university and the club campaign (we're running Blood in the Badlands) for which I've set myself the goal to finish every empire model that I use in that campaign before the end of it.

back to CD's: here's a test piece for my artillery. I'm not entirely convinced on the colour sheme. any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated! It's completly painted with only Chaos black, tin bitz, brazen brass, and boltgun metal mix (and black wash). I think I did good using different mixes for the different parts. the wheels are a bit darker and with more boltgun metal, the barrel has more brazen brass,.. so it looks like different alloys according to the strain they endure. any thoughts?

cheers!Takes Hat off

05-03-2013 08:35 AM
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Bad Gram Northern 01-28-2014

well 2013 didn't turn out to be the chaos dwarf year as i had planned. Mainly due to real life and because i entered into a clubcampaign with my empire army so I wanted to finish those first.
But thanks to Rozmax and the Russian Alternative webstore I did assemble most of an army.

Tonight I'll have my first battle against my buddy's high elves. We're both playing our respective armies for the first time tonight so we'll see how it goes. Below is my 1700 points army of Dawi Zharr

none of it is painted yet so I won't bother you with unpainted metal, save for this pic of the fireglaives with converted command group

that's all for now! let's hope that tonight I have Hashut's blessing by my side!

01-28-2014 11:39 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Yodrin 01-28-2014

Love the Russian A models, now get some paint on themHappy

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

01-28-2014 02:59 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 574
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Admiral 01-28-2014

I agree with Yodrin. Promising host of curlybeards!

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Voting Deadline 13th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
01-28-2014 03:11 PM
Rozmax
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 57
Best Contributor - 2013 Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: 2013 - Year of the Chaos Dwarf  (Soon to be Army Plog)Rozmax 01-28-2014

Really nice conventions here! You now, soon RA will release the new command group. Wery similar to yours. And some limited sorcer. Both of them sculpted by Yellow one.
http://miniatures.ru/miniatyury/1663-gno...ternative#
I now the site in Russian, but look at the pictures.

This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 04:55 PM by Rozmax.

01-28-2014 04:48 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mrowa's Chaos Dwarfs army blog Mrowa 14 3,571 05-07-2016 01:51 AM
Last Post: tjub
  Chaos Dwarf Army BIG blog/site - lots to see! ruinouspowers 0 1,430 10-21-2014 12:30 PM
Last Post: ruinouspowers
  Steampunk Skirmisher's Chaos Dwarf Army blog Steampunk Skirmisher 3 2,370 11-20-2013 08:39 PM
Last Post: Steampunk Skirmisher
  my Chaos Dwarf   ( work in progress, and ready to work ) Zonk 303 176,680 04-20-2012 07:31 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Medivo's Chaos Dwarf army blog medivo 5 3,248 01-23-2011 08:16 PM
Last Post: Joshmohr

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites