Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Artisan's Contest XV
Author MessageArtisan's Contest XV
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 248
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
Artisan's Contest XVAdmiral 05-31-2014

Welcome to Artisan's Contest XV!

The Dark Sorcery Unleashed

The theme for this Artisan's Contest is to create up to 3 pieces of magic counters for Chaos Dwarfs, which somehow relates to the subject "The Dark Sorcery Unleashed" (which could be a literal or abstract interpretation of the concept). These could be anything from spell counters, Storm of Magic frog markers, miscast markers to Sorcerer's Curse counters. Submissions of spell counters must be for spells available to Chaos Dwarf wizards in Forgeworld's Legion of Azgorh army list.

This contest is relatively unrestricted in terms of scope - if you think a magic counter is appropriate for Chaos Dwarfs, then it's most likely suitable. Any uncertainties you may have about fulfilling the criteria can be mediated before the deadline with Admiral via PM.

Your pieces of magic counters must be painted 3D models, meaning no cardboard or stone counters may be submitted. The magic counters may be of any size and have any kind of base, though bear in mind it should be practically useful during games. Bigger does not equal better! Whether you kitbash or sculpt your magic counters is up to you as a participant, as is the choice of whether or not to identify your markers with text descriptions (on their bases perhaps, or maybe on a small sign or spell card beside them) with their particular spells. It is also up to you whether or not to include miniatures like burning enemies, Daemon familiars or acolytes as parts of your magic counters (though they must be on the same base as the counter they're part of). Let your imagination run wild!

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is the 14th of July 2014 at 11:59pm EST.

Only enter if you are happy with the rules as they are stated:

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Each member may submit up to three (3) magic counters, all of which must be in the same submission PM and the same photos.

Create pieces of magic counters, with "The Dark Sorcery Unleashed" as your inspiration. The maximum and minimum dimensions of the counters are unrestricted. Basing is unrestricted, though each counter must be confined to one base and not spread over several.

Submissions should only include pictures of the magic counters, not of other miniatures or scenery.

You may not submit pictures of counters that have been entered into other online competitions.

Don't post your entries in the forum before Artisan's Contest XV is over.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with four photos of your entry. All of your magic counters should feature together in each of the photos. Please do not send an e-mail to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry overlooked.

Please note that your entry will benefit if the photos are all clearly composed, since voters will base their judgement upon what they can see in the pictures on their computer screens.

How will this be judged?

By the middle of July we will post all entries to a new entries thread where members can vote.

There will be Gold, Silver and Bronze Artisan's medals.

Prize

The winner of the contest will have 1 unpainted flayed enemy of the Chaos Dwarfs converted by Admiral after the contest. It will be based on a 20x40 or 25x50 base, and posted on his expense to the winner's address. The base size of the "flayman" is the winner's choice, as is the enemy's race in question, though it may not be larger than an Orc, Gor or Saurus. Also be careful with your choice, since not every man-sized creature will make a good-looking "flayman"! The winner will be contacted about the prize via PM after Artisan's Contest XV is over.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral about it and he'll sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good Luck everyone!
The Staff

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Deadline 31st of October  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 07-16-2014 04:21 AM by Admiral.

05-31-2014 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 499
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVXander 05-31-2014

Sounds like a fun idea!

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter
05-31-2014 05:52 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVAdmiral 05-31-2014

Xander Wrote:
Sounds like a fun idea!

Courtesy of tjub. Happy

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Deadline 31st of October  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 05:56 PM by Admiral.

05-31-2014 05:55 PM
MadHatter
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 237
Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVMadHatter 05-31-2014

Awesome! I'll start working right away Takes Hat off

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!
05-31-2014 06:40 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVBloodbeard 05-31-2014

Okay. This is a cool theme and a great idea. Will see some inspirational stuff in this contest.

Now: I think a month is too short a time period.

Entering a competition (with high standard like CDOs) requires some planning, brainstorming and concept development.

If one has to buy stuff off the internet for the project, two weeks shipping is realistic, that only leaves two weeks for converting, building and painting.

I think deadline should be 1st of august.

Even though that'll leave some participants waiting for a long time, since they'll be finished early.

Please consider.

05-31-2014 10:52 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1364
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVZanko 06-01-2014

I have no idea how such a magic counter could look like! Unsure

I will search in the web for some examples ...

Nonetheless nice theme and good that the AC is back -> thanx Admiral! Takes Hat off

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

06-01-2014 02:24 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XVAdmiral 06-01-2014

Thanks!

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Okay. This is a cool theme and a great idea. Will see some inspirational stuff in this contest.

Now: I think a month is too short a time period.

Entering a competition (with high standard like CDOs) requires some planning, brainstorming and concept development.

If one has to buy stuff off the internet for the project, two weeks shipping is realistic, that only leaves two weeks for converting, building and painting.

I think deadline should be 1st of august.

Even though that'll leave some participants waiting for a long time, since they'll be finished early.

Please consider.

Of course. The deadline is a bit flexible for both members' wishes and my own schedule. If I get unexpectedly busy around the deadline it might get prolonged a bit since we won't be able to start on the picture edit at once in any case.

How many would like a longer deadline? How long?

I'd rather not stretch it past the 15th of July in order to get at least two of the three planned contests off the ground during the summer. Having the 15th of July as deadline gives six weeks in total, and probably four for modelling and painting if Internet orders are involved. Then there'll be perhaps a week or more work on photo editting before the voting thread is up.

Zanko Wrote:
I have no idea how such a magic counter could look like!

My web searches didn't turn up any results at all that could help you and others, so to give food for brainstorming here're a few examples from Lore of Fire of what they could be like. A pity Firewall is no longer in the book, because that spell have had some nice markers for it popping up on tournaments:

Fulminating Flame Cage could be simply a big cage made of wires with green stuff flames. There are much more advanced possibilities for that one, of course!

Fireball could be something like a bull's head fireball hitting an enemy, or something else entirely.

Flaming Sword of Rhuin could be just a fiery weapon lying flat on a base or a pedestal, standing on its own, sticking out from an enemy or maybe being carried by an acolyte or mini-K'daai familiar.

Almost anything is possible.

Looking through the lists of spells in the available lores (not least Lore of Hashut) could be a good starting point. For non-spells one could make a toad with a tiny ringlet beard and a hat, or something else entirely. The field is open.

Chaos Dwarf Writings:

This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 05:10 AM by Admiral.

06-01-2014 03:27 AM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1364
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVZanko 06-01-2014

One question:

How big should be these markers and / or should they be placed on an appropriate base (square or round)?

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

06-01-2014 04:04 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XVAdmiral 06-01-2014

Zanko Wrote:
One question:

How big should be these markers and / or should they be placed on an appropriate base (square or round)?

Hashut!

That's entirely up to you. Their base could just be the "footprint" of the marker like the case often is with buildings when it comes to terrain (though markers with models in them could benefit from having clearer bases), they could be plasticard or cardboard or penny bases or they could be slottabases of any size and shape.

Or even pedestals of some kind to further mark them as being not models and not terrain in the battle.

Base them however you like. Make them as big or as small as you think is appropriate. Cheers!

Edit: A second search run came up with these counters links for inspiration:

http://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.se/2013/...nters.html

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/ind...ic=31112.0

Chaos Dwarf Writings:

This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 12:37 PM by Admiral.

06-01-2014 04:18 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1687
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVAbecedar 06-02-2014

I think It will take me to the deadline no matter when it is, to think of something and then I'll panic

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-02-2014 02:04 AM
Bloodbeard

Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVBloodbeard 06-02-2014

Just ordered some miniatures for the project. I won't have time to convert and model the biggest stuff this time around, but I'll make it work - yes I will.

06-02-2014 03:44 AM
Bolg
Greater Bunny of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 642
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVBolg 06-02-2014

Ha! Well I got those already, but I can always paint up a few extra for the contest. (and I havet got anything for Ash Storm yet)

Check out my webcomic here...
06-02-2014 07:53 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Slaves: 740
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVFuggit Khan 06-02-2014

Bloodbeard Wrote:
This is a cool theme and a great idea. Will see some inspirational stuff in this contest.

Agreed! I can't wait to see what people come up with, this is gonna be really good Happy

I do have a question about submission photos though, and my apologies if I'm missing something obvious:
You said "All of your magic counters should feature in each of the photos"...does this mean that if a person submits three counters, that all three counters have to appear together in each single photo?

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-02-2014 12:34 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XVAdmiral 06-03-2014

@Herby: Good, I missed the frogs! And good luck! A Vampire flayman should be possible with some tricks to differentiate it from ordinary humans, like an evil snarl in the face, a heart on the pole, two sharp teeth on the string and a hole in the chest area of skin.

@Abecedar: You're probably not alone in that regard. Good luck! Happy

@Bloodbeard: Good luck! We'll push the deadline to 7/7 for a start and see if that's enough. If that's insufficient for a lot of people they'll just have to shout.

@Bolg: Be a completionist, go get some more. Good luck!

@Fuggit Khan: Yes, the wording have been clarified. The reason for this is to get as many good looks from different angles as possible of all the markers in the limited amount of pictures. Will you enter the contest?

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
06-03-2014 08:44 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Slaves: 740
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVFuggit Khan 06-03-2014

Admiral Wrote:
@Fuggit Khan: Will you enter the contest?

Yep! This is too good of a theme to pass up, I'm really looking forward to seeing what people will create, and I want to join in the fun Cheers!
I have a couple of idea's that may possibly work...I already ordered some bits and more green stuff.
And thank you Admiral for clarifying my earlier question, much appreciated
Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-03-2014 11:34 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVYodrin 06-03-2014

Sorry to say that I have to pas this time. I work away from home and live at hotels at the moment, sucks!!!! Have to give my family the time that's left.

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

06-03-2014 01:45 PM
Bloodbeard

RE: Artisan's Contest XVBloodbeard 06-03-2014

Yodrin Wrote:
Sorry to say that I have to pas this time. I work away from home and live at hotels at the moment, sucks!!!! Have to give my family the time that's left.

I can relate to that. Funny thing how family change the universe and priorities. Respect for choosing the right thing.

Recieved the miniatures for the markers today. Ordered them yesterday - so KingGames is my new shop.

Well they wont work for my idea. Will have to do some scratch building.  Got three cool reaper bones ghost for something else.

06-03-2014 02:20 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XVAdmiral 06-03-2014

@Fuggit Khan: Good luck!

@Yodrin: Family comes first. Maybe you'll have time when the next contest comes around? Happy

@Bloodbeard: Just shout when we're approaching deadline, if it seem too short. Don't hesitate, we're flexible about it! I'm trying to fit as many contests as possible into the summer months for my own schedule's sake, but there won't be any major troubles in adapting to the schedules of others. Anything else would be odd for the summer, since it's a time for family and holidays.

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
06-03-2014 02:49 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVYodrin 06-03-2014

Hope so Admiral Happy

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

06-03-2014 06:22 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1687
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XVAbecedar 06-20-2014

Does anyone else have this problem?

" I started by thinking which three spells to make markers for"
then OCD kicked in and my reasoning (those little voices in the head)
tells me I have to make a marker for every single spell in a lore.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-20-2014 07:44 AM
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest XXVIII Admiral 6 872 10-18-2019 01:48 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Artisan's Contest Gallery & Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame Up Now Admiral 1 634 09-27-2019 09:08 PM
Last Post: Reaver of Uzkulak
  Artisan's Contest XXVII - Winners! Admiral 13 5,626 08-14-2019 04:55 AM
Last Post: Will Liam
  Artisan's Contest XXVII - Voting! Admiral 16 5,668 07-11-2019 08:17 PM
Last Post: Fuggit Khan
  Artisan's Contest XXVII Admiral 45 7,530 07-04-2019 02:28 PM
Last Post: Jackswift

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites