Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
3 Votes - 3.33 Average   Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 14/10/2017 -- Hammerers
Author MessageHelblindi's only half evil Legion -- 14/10/2017 -- Hammerers
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 235
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 22/08/14 -- CD Lord, Standard and Cheshire CatHelblindi 11-11-2014

Great input guys, thanks a lot! This is what I plan to do now:

-make a drawbridge. I've just cut out the crossbar already.
-sculpt daemonfaces on the track guards
-mount some spears underneath the tank, so they'll stick out in front
-cover up the front windows somehow
-make a conduct from the steam engine to the cannon without glueing it to the cannon
-maybe I'll just cut out the exhaust pipes on the right, with the main exhaust, they seem a little redundant
-probably make a small smoke plume. But the machine is already too tall to easily transport, so the smoke would have to be either removable or really tiny or horizontal.
-shields all over. I've got a lot of goblin shields lying around, which still seem to fit in with the CD theme, but definately introduce some barbarism.

I'll think about random daemon skin, but I'm not sure I can pull it off, so I'll first see if it's still necessary. For flayed man: I'd like to see one painted before I try my hand at it. Not completely sold on the concept at the moment.

But guys, surely you know that it is the chaos dwarfs who build all the chaos space marine vehicles? After construction they are transported through the warp by Chaos Daemons, who deliver them into the 40k universe. So it really only makes sense the CD build a tank for themselves every now and then Wink

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
11-11-2014 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 480
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 22/08/14 -- CD Lord, Standard and Cheshire CatAdmiral 11-11-2014

Good plan. Goblin shields will work well.

Helblindi Wrote:
For flayed man: I'd like to see one painted before I try my hand at it. Not completely sold on the concept at the moment.

We have a painted one here (former Indic warlord killed by Taurus).

Helblindi Wrote:
But guys, surely you know that it is the chaos dwarfs who build all the chaos space marine vehicles? After construction they are transported through the warp by Chaos Daemons, who deliver them into the 40k universe. So it really only makes sense the CD build a tank for themselves every now and then Wink

Haha, naturally! Cheers!

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXIV - Deadline 16th of May ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 05:19 PM by Admiral.

11-11-2014 05:18 PM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 22/08/14 -- CD Lord, Standard and Cheshire CatHelblindi 11-11-2014

Hah, I'd never seen that post before, somehow. It makes me laugh because I bought a model of The Luggage a week ago and was thinking what I could use it for, and you have it as a unit filler.
As for the flayed man, alas, I'm still not sold. But I think I'll have enough going on on my tank's armor already.

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-11-2014 06:12 PM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 22/08/14 -- CD Lord, Standard and Cheshire CatHelblindi 11-15-2014

So, I took your advice to heart and slammed a bunch of daemon stuff onto the tank. I had a few bloodletters lying around, so I gave the machine some legs on the sides, opened up the rear door a bit and gave it arms to open and close. It's not done, but a first bunch of greenstuff has been applied:

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-15-2014 06:32 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1365
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPGrimstonefire 11-15-2014

I'll be curious to see this with all the shields on.

Something else I would recommend is getting some thick wire and gluing it on in sections here and there.  If you look at the WF machines they have pipes running along the side in places (as they are steam driven), so a few here and there would help.  Stuck straight to the sides, not hanging out anywhere.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 11-15-2014 08:25 AM by Grimstonefire.

11-15-2014 08:24 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPHelblindi 11-15-2014

That's a great idea, thanks!

I'm also curious what the end result will look like. I'm having a lot of fun building it, but I'm not at all sure it will look the part.

I'm thinking of painting the hull warplock bronze, and the daemon parts in different shades of metallics, to make it look like they are trying to break through the armor, rather than having some skin and body parts stuck to the tank.

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-15-2014 08:30 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPYodrin 11-15-2014

Wow, its starting to look crazy now.... and i like it!!!

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

11-15-2014 04:52 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPAdmiral 11-16-2014

Wow. Good. Very good! It's certainly getting Chaotic, and the best thing is that the Iron Demon have an auxilliary power source, should it run out of coal or oil. It's like a Daemon leg galley. Wink

This makes me want to possess my still unbuilt FW ID much more than planned...

Watch cogs could work as a complement if you're adding piping flat to the surface of the tank. It'd increase the detail level of this awesome beast of a machine.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXIV - Deadline 16th of May ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
11-16-2014 03:12 AM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPHelblindi 11-16-2014

Thanks. I agree that cogs would make it more steampunk than scifi, but if I were a Daemonsmith, I'd encapsulate any important working bits, such as cogs, with a thick sheet of armor. I will see if there is room for tubing after all the GS, but I don't think I'm gonna go with cogs.

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-16-2014 03:25 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPAdmiral 11-16-2014

Roger roger. Another possible thing to give the machine a more primitive look would be to cover some smaller areas in scale armour, as though it's received hard tapestries for extra protection and decoration. Just throwing ideas at ya in case anything sticks. Happy

11-16-2014 04:21 AM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPHelblindi 11-22-2014

Keep throwing, Admiral Happy Though I'm not sure there will be any room left for scale mail Happy

Here's an update with a bunch of pics. I've sculpted the daemon bits on the right into the armor, added a bunch of pipes (thanks, Grimstonefire!) and threw a chain accross the tank. I'm not too happy with the chain at the moment, so it's not glued on yet, as it is waiting for your approval, CDO.

This will be the basis for sculpting a bull's head idol. I'm curious if I'll be able to pull it off:

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-22-2014 11:01 AM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 106
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPRed Skullz 11-22-2014

Well you're obligated to play this as hellbound mate Happy very excited to see how this build ends up in the end Happy

[Blood Bowl] Zharr-Naggrund Juggernauts

Team Anarchy, gaming community (in norwegian).
11-22-2014 12:27 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPAdmiral 11-22-2014

It's getting better and better! I'm not sure about the chain, it looks good in some places but out of place in others (like around the Ogre's head exhaust). Good luck with sculpting the bull's head! Nice Daemon faces on the exhausts, they add much.

You could sculpt simple metal rings to hold the tubes in place, in strategic spots. Other than that I guess one wouldn't want to do very much more other than add shields.

Although, if you're feeling adventurous, you could sculpt some stretched Daemonskin connecting the tubes and the hull in a few places, just like on the Hellcannon. It's an oft overlooked Chaos aesthetic that usually goes a long way to weird out mechanic looks towards a more organic, Daemonic one.

Speaking of Daemonflesh... how about making "piercings" of the tubes in a few choice places, a bit like this? You could simply apply a not too wide slap of green stuff that crosses the tube and connects with the hull, smooth it out into the hull and try to get some edges. That'd look weird, if nothing else. You could even try to sculpt one pretty big eye at the front sides of each of the two tank track units, akin to a flesh-and-blood parallell to the eyes painted on triremes and junks:

Whatever you choose to do, you're doing damn well at it already!

This post was last modified: 11-22-2014 07:41 PM by Admiral.

11-22-2014 01:16 PM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPHelblindi 11-23-2014

Thanks for the compliments! Happy I have to check tamurkhan again, but I had decided for myself that hellbound wasn't really a good thing for an ID.

I like your ideas, Admiral. The eyes will probably happen, which means the front track guard faces will be cyclopean. Piercings, I will probably try, though I will try to not make it look like daemon skin lying on top of the armor, I'm trying to make this look like the daemons bound inside the armor are trying to come out. Hopefully I can get that across with the right paintjob.

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-23-2014 04:32 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPYodrin 11-23-2014

I think it looks awesome, though I agree on the chain part. I also think it's a fine line between Hellbound and messy, so be carful not to go overboardWink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

11-23-2014 05:41 AM
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Slaves: 237
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPtorn 11-23-2014

I am very excited to see this painted. Right now I dont think the chain works as it just seems draped across. I think for it to workyou would have to give it a bit more of a purpose, like holding or anchoring something.

A rhino is a risky starting point as it is such a well defined space marine icon that there was always a big risk of this project ending up looking like a chaos rhino. I think so far you are pulling it off, but if you were to consider adding more stuff I personally think you need to put things on that will make it more old world/fantasy, and less sci-fi. I dont have any good suggestions what that could be, maybe a few flaming braziers, some decorative runes, as you said earlier shields might do it.

Really looking forward to this with a paint job on.

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
11-23-2014 07:59 AM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPHelblindi 11-23-2014

Thanks a lot, guys!

Torn, I'm hoping the shields will lower the scifi factor. I've got ogre and goblin shields lying around, aswell as some dwarf icons and shields, so hopefully they give enough barbarism and dwarfism to the whole.

Yodrin, I agree. For now, the chain is off again, and the plan is to just tie it on after painting, so I can keep repositioning it until I find something that really works. It actually would've had some practical use, as the metal steam engine/skaven gun is only glued to the rhino in a few spots where they touch, and one of them had already come loose, so the chain was supposed to keep the engine in place, but I'll have to find a way to do that that looks good.

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-23-2014 08:34 AM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Double post, but I have pics this time.

Only two though, then my camera's batteries died. I've done just a bit of greenstuffing, including the bull's head, which worked out a lot better than I had expected, but I don't have a pic of that right now Sorcerer.

My Blood Bowl stuff
11-23-2014 05:12 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Helblindi's only half evil Legion -- 15/11/14 -- Iron Daemon WIPAdmiral 11-23-2014

Wow, those emerging Daemons look disturbing now! Good piercings, and particularly good face swallowing the pipe. Add some simple metal rings holding the pipe, and you'll have arrived in harbour. The more sleek and less detailed something look, the more futuristic it appears. A little clutter is good for fantasy factor. Happy

Besides, will you slap one or more shields over the pipes somewher? I think it could look good if the pipes disappeared under and reappeared from some shields, especially at the corners.

This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 05:35 PM by Admiral.

11-23-2014 05:31 PM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Big Grin Thanks! I thought that up close (in the pictures) the GS looks kind of rough, but irl it's ok (to my standards at least) Wink

I will make some rings around the tubes, and where there's room, I will put shields, but unless I make more tubes (and I think I've got enough by now) there's no spot where a tube can still dissappear under a shield, except at the front side of the tank, where they emerge from the windshields. That is a part I'm not entirely happy with, but it doesn't look good to put shields or whatnot there, right behind the dwarf icon and right underneath the cannon and the driver. So I think I'll leave that as it is, unless you have an idea?

Either way, I'm very thankful for all the comments, you guys have pushed me to make this about twice as awesome as what I was originally going to do!

Pumped a bit of juice back into the batteries, so here's the rest of the pics:

Also, here's my new khans and 10 wolf riders.

The one in the middle here (the pony with the two goblins on top of each other) was the original khan who stabbed three Bloodcrushers to death, so he deserved to be at least unit champion.

Btw, I need names for my khans, and also for 4 CD characters: a BSB, and either 3 daemonsmiths or 2 DS and a castellan. Ideas are welcome, but I'm just as interested in hearing how you named your characters, for inspiration.

My Blood Bowl stuff

This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 05:44 PM by Helblindi.

11-23-2014 05:40 PM
Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dark's Legion of Chaos Dwarves (Robu, Bull Centaurs & Harlot March 10, 2017) Darkmeer 26 5,597 03-16-2017 08:56 AM
Last Post: Darkmeer

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites