Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Scribe's Contest I - Winners!
Author MessageScribe's Contest I - Winners!
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 740
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Fuggit Khan 11-17-2014

A three way tie for the first place...that is so awesome!
Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
11-17-2014 08:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Bloodbeard 11-17-2014

Congratulations to all (!) the winners. There were some really great quotes in this one! A pattern sure seems to be forming. That's three hounorable mentions in the four contests I've joined. Missed a medal by one vote thrice. I really had to laugh when I saw the results. If it continues, I might end up writing a fluff piece on the near-luck of my prophet. Competition was great though!

As always I would like to give each an all of you a comment on your work. People deserve something back when giving.

1 - Dinadan: Great quotes, good writing. I just don't like any chaos dwarfs dying. And even though it's quite funny, I think your first quote has been used too many times.

2 - Herby: I didn't really get your quote. Which hostile clans? I thought maybe it was some chaos dwarf infighting. Choose to be evil? Then I thought - chaos dwarf don't think themselves evil. They just are as they are. Then finally I settled that Jakkobus must be a stupid Zharr-Naggrund style hippie and was pretty fast thrown in the fire.

3 - The Hooded Man: I like the fact that he quotes are combined. Did the same thing. But I got the feeling of them being "skaveny". Not knowing what's going to happen, trying to sell a thingy-me-bob to a master. Chaos Dwarfs know what they are doing. And if not they get hurt testing their stuff before rolling it to the battle. Get my point?

4 - Zanko: Decent quotes. Great that you enter even though english might not be your strongest skill. But this one "in the dust unworthy" is amazing! Imangine saying that before crushing a foe from another clan with your steel clad foot. Awesome!

5 - Fuggit: I laughed, I can see the situation clearly! It fits perfectly in my beloved Bloodbowl version of the Warhammer World. A dark and evil place - with a fun twist of good. It's the guy with the chain whip that did this quote. Your model is of him right before he hands the Gnoblar-Pinatta-Whip to his son.

6 - Grimbold Blackhammer: Your first quote is the best one. Is there a reason for both the quoters to be named Blackhammer as a last name? I read it and thought it's was a mistake. Or if they are from the same clan, perhaps it should say so in the text. Delman of Clan Blackhammer for example.

7 - torn: Your first quote is absolutely fantastic! That quote defines what a Dark Castellan is. And your second quotes manage to tell a very long story in a single quote. Of all the entries, my imagination has taken the longest trip with Skrogg. I really want to hear how I came to the desolate place where he said that.  He deserves a story.

8 - BigDark: Your lamassu quote has managed to do something, I haven't seen before. You introduce the concept of love, to the Chaos Dwarfs (who i don't think use that kind of jibbajibba), in a way that's true to the fluff. It's pretty freaking amazing getting the strong a feeling from a Dawi Zharr - and they feel strong! But usually it's hate, anger and pride. Your quote is so good, that's it really a shame the others are in there. I looked at the entries as a whole, and the two others really don't bring that much. The lamassu quote would have been even stronger if standing by it self.

9 - Speedygogo: A fine little quote. But I would like to see who said it. The underlining of the quotes tell a lot of story for sure.

10 - MadHatter: Great humor as always. A funny quote. The best part being "the forbidden section" in the library. The entire library is filled with dark rituals and torture methods. The forbidden part being filled with love stories, cookie recepies and the like.

11 - Abecedar: I don't see that they work as quotes. The fact that you underline them as chants and verses, make me believe they should have been in another contest. The last line of the first one is great though. "I'll give all to my God - but I'll give you first". Brilliant!

12 - Helbindi: Your first quote is the best one, describing the contembt for the lower races good. I read the second quote as heresy, the prophet defends weakness of his own race. I read it as a kindergarten teacher saying "you're okay no matter who you are."

13 - The honourable mention:
From the minute the contest opened, I had an idea for complete story told by three quotes. Unfortunately I submitted it in the last second. And having your text last is never a good idea, beacause readers loose focus as they go.

The story I told was:
1. CDs attack a dwarf stronghold. A dwarf BSB thane speaks to the dwarfs.
2. Dwarfs loose, BSB thane becomes a slayer.
3. Slayer is captured after a hundred years, gets sacrificed, never dies in combat.

Wether you voted for me or not, is not really an issue for me. My phrases and words were not nearly as good as many others. But I would really like to know wether or not you got my point? The fact that the three quotes told a story if put together. That would e a great help for future contests.

This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 02:46 AM by Bloodbeard.

11-17-2014 11:02 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Helblindi
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 245
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Helblindi 11-18-2014

Thanks Bloodbeard, you are right, my last quote was just to fill it up, less inspired.

I did pick up on the story you were telling, though only in the second read. Got you my vote!

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
11-18-2014 02:19 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 366
Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!TheHoodedMan 11-18-2014

@Blood:

Quote:
Chaos Dwarfs know what they are doing.

I am not sure if they always do Wink. Summoning frenzied fire demons the size of a house is not a very rational thing, too.

My quote is more in the spirit of the 80ies dwarves who from my point of view look a little cartoony and are often painted in bright and different colors Cheers!.

@Admiral: Did you list the entries chronological? If so maybe this could be done random.

11-18-2014 02:49 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               

Quote:
I could think of was the one from my three year old son. One day I came home from work I was tired the kids were stressful(as always) I got angry and long story short my son looked at me and said "Dad you don't have to be evil. You can choose." to me. True. One of the wisest words I ever heard and they came from my son. A three year old boy. Brilliant.
That's the whole story my friends.

Awesome. And "chaos dwarf" gets a whole new meaning in this context (I have two kids, too) Cheers!

11-18-2014 03:25 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 247
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Admiral 11-18-2014

@Bloodbeard: I wanted to be inclusive here, so I told Abecedar he could make the chants into quotes. It seemed acceptable since they were short, and CD priesthood probably spend a lot of time chanting. Future contests can be more restrictive if necessary.

@TheHoodedMan: They were mostly listed in the order they were submitted. I'll turn up the random-meter next time. Haha, that's also an interpretation of "Chaos Dwarfs". Big Grin

@Herby: No worries, not everything can appeal to everyone. The good thing with this hobby is there are so many parts of it that will appeal to someone, whether it's fluff, collecting, modelling, painting or tabletop gaming. Thanks for participating! Keep this up and you might win minis and medals. You've got a wise son, too! Wink

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Deadline 31st of October  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
11-18-2014 04:26 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               

I don't submit entries to contests I organize. Then there can be never be any question of bias, and I wouldn't want to win prizes which I have donated myself or talked others into donate. I'm more than content to let you guys have all the glory. Wink

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Deadline 31st of October  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
11-18-2014 05:32 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

In your special case I would see there no problem. Voting is anonymous so I would enjoy your creative work especially at the scribe`s contests. Another one of the mods could check the votes if you feel better then though ;-).

11-18-2014 05:38 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

@TheHoodedMan: Hnah, I'll save the other staff members the counting hassle, and I'll continue to put out stuff in the background section, so my entries are not that necessary. Perhaps if there is immense popular demand... Tongue Wink

@Herby: Very well! Made up on the spot:

"You dare speak to me of morality? Wretch! For this you will die in horror and torment. Yet know this: The scum you call kin knows nothing about right or wrong. I will tell you what is right. It is right to be cruel and strong. It is right to dominate. It is right to enslave. Kindness and meekness never built an empire. Life is conquest. Now, woe to the vanquished..."
- Slavedriver Hurzhkam Balefiend to an enslaved Sigmarite priest

"Hear me! You are Blacksmiths of Chaos. You are offspring of the Father of Darkness. You are steel and you are cruelty. Mercy and pity will be rewarded by whip and blade. Weakness will be punished. Inability and clumsiness will see you flogged. You will be strong, and you will crush the weak. You will flay and you will maim. You will toil and you will sacrifice in flames and molten metal. You will worship in front of His mighty idols and you will obey every word of your masters. Hear me!"
- Grandmother Zharyna Ivorytusk to her sixty surviving grandchildren

"Swines! Filthy heathens! I spit on you! Fourteen Daemons times twelve and two will rip your limbs and cast them into roaring fire and thunder. I swear, Matzhkra the Leaden Trampled will make slaves of your sons and harlots of your daughters! The Eye of the Great Four will witness as Hashut when on high tramples your worthless souls into the eternal abyss of shadow and flame! By Dark Gods, you are hereby and forever curs-"
- Overlord Khulim-Banizhulbar Hidetearer to Cathayan Grand Admiral Liun Shang, following his flotilla's defeat at the battle of Crimson Reef and immediately prior to his decapitation

Chaos Dwarf Writings:

This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 07:17 AM by Admiral.

11-18-2014 07:14 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Thanks!

Miniature prizes shipped. Fuggit Khan donated his prize to Bloodbeard.

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
11-18-2014 11:03 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1154
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Malorndk 11-18-2014

Admiral Wrote:
Thanks!

Miniature prizes shipped. Fuggit Khan donated his prize to Bloodbeard.

Fuggit is such a bro <3 GZ Bloodbeard <3

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
11-18-2014 12:47 PM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1364
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Zanko 11-18-2014

Congrats to all the winners! Cheers!

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

11-18-2014 02:28 PM
Helblindi
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 245
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Helblindi 11-20-2014

My Baggronor model just arrived, thanks a lot!

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
11-20-2014 01:52 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Admiral 11-27-2014

Well deserved mini. Have all other winners received their prizes? Happy

Note that prizes may or may not be awarded to all winners in possible multi-gold ties in the future, or the gold claimers might have a final vote-off to decide the top dog. We'll see how the procedure for that becomes, but I'm happy to have a little shower of medals and minis at Scribe's Contest premier. As a celebration. Cheers!

Next contest will most likely be Artisan's XVI. Both Nicodemus and I are more or less busy at the moment, and the announcement might drag on more that what would usually have been the case. But stay tuned. Happy

Chaos Dwarf Writings:

This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 07:08 PM by Admiral.

11-27-2014 07:07 PM
Roark
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 19

RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Roark 04-29-2015

I'm just reading these for the first time now. An amazing field of entries. Really fun and inspiring to read. It's so cool to see someone else's vision for the Dawi Zharr align with your own unshared imaginings, even down to tiny stuff like domestic life or mercantile dealings. Even better is when another person paints a picture of some aspect of the fictional culture that you had never considered.

"Raise the icon. Load the pyres. The Father will have the spoils today, that we may be blessed tomorrow." - Drughaz the Taker
04-29-2015 07:19 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Admiral 04-30-2015

Yes, I agree completely Roark. The people who have entered the competitions have made Scribe's Contest a greater success than anyone could reasonably have hoped for. May this outpouring of quality wildly varied entries continue for a long while. Cheers!

Don't miss out all the other entries in case you only read the winners' thread. Every one of them is worth a read, without a doubt.

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
04-30-2015 04:14 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1687
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Scribe's Contest I - Winners!Abecedar 04-30-2015

I think a lot of us take a fair bit of inspiration away with us from a certain "sailor" and his written works.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
04-30-2015 06:30 AM
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest Gallery & Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame Up Now Admiral 1 585 09-27-2019 09:08 PM
Last Post: Reaver of Uzkulak
  Artisan's Contest XXVII - Winners! Admiral 13 5,598 08-14-2019 04:55 AM
Last Post: Will Liam
  Scribe's Contest XII - Winners! Admiral 12 5,873 05-04-2019 01:57 PM
Last Post: Gargolock
  Scribe's Contest XII - Voting! Admiral 11 5,838 05-01-2019 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gargolock
  Scribe's Contest XII Admiral 28 7,029 04-26-2019 10:15 PM
Last Post: Abecedar

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites