Post Reply  Post Thread 
1 Votes - 5 Average   Scribe's Contest V - Winners!
Author MessageScribe's Contest V - Winners!
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 587
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Admiral 10-26-2015

Winners of Scribe's Contest V: Blackest Infamy - Chaos Dwarfs in the Eyes of Others

"Pray they don't take you alive..."

Just like all the other rounds, we had a fantastic turn-out of entries, with submissions detailing the bitter truth of the Chaos Dwarfs as told by those unfortunates who encountered them. The fifth Scribe's Contest had it all, from humour and cruelty to ambition and glimpses of resistance against oppressive might. It was great to see such professional work written upon dry parchment! No doubt the texts were all written in spilt blood with trembling hands, or carved into the skulls of foes. Takes Hat off

The voting was quite even, with votes distributed to almost all entries, which is not surprising given the quality of them all. This was a memorable turn-out of entries with tough competition.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the winners!

Entry #2: Jackswift (1st)

The remains of the city brooded squat and evil, beyond the broken causeway.  Weathered behemoths of rough-hewn basalt stood before me… centuries abandoned… defiant still… awaiting the return of their masters. Jagged onyx spires on their crowns reflected hellish molten light across the tumbled ruin of their brothers.

Blistering wind howled between intricate carvings that lined the hanging path, jutting crumbled and forgotten over the abyss. Some long dead artist had rendered row on row of statues, capturing the ancient Dwarf inhabitants in absurd, grotesque detail. My eyes drunk in each perfectly wrought wrinkle and stitch on ornate robes, the myriad of arcane symbols on strange towering hats, every pore of their skin, even individual stone eyelashes where time and entropy left them intact. Faces leered at me. Expressions of malevolent hunger, unending hatred, and numbing boredom frozen in rigid caricature on every face. Row on row, in masterful lifelike poses, they watched me.

The wind calmed and a quiet grinding sound caught my ear... stone against stone... reminding me of the precarious perch I stood upon.

I could not cross. The sculpted bridge ended abruptly; eroded supports long since fallen, taking the path with them. Forty paces of nothing. Foul vapor and a steep plunge into the burning chasm lay before me. The heat and fumes took my breath. I languished before the gap, falling hard against a statue. It rocked backwards and shattered against the edge of the causeway; head and torso tumbling into the magma below. A whispered scream rent the air in amplified silence.

Heat flexed the poison air like a folded curtain. The ghastly sculptures seemed to move. Stone rasped and crackled; granite mice skittering down the walls. Nothing moved.  Everything moved. They were here all along. They never left… as I would never leave.

Entry #7: Ikkred Pyrhelm (2nd)

Among the Hellforges

The Skaven heaved another mound of charcoal into the furnace, ignoring the harsh grunts of the dark bearded Dwarfs as they worked the forge.

He fought the urge to twitch his tail in joy; few creatures other than these Dwarfs of Chaos had ever been permitted this far into their dark warrens. Though the number of slaves gifted to the hold’s forgemasters had helped gain him entry, it was their respect for his genius mind that had gotten him this far. No, he corrected himself, it wasn’t respect. The Dawi Zharr seldom viewed their lessers with anything more than contempt. If anything, the Skaven considered, he was still alive because he interested the black bearded creatures. Should he fail to extend this interest, he would be joining the slaves that were so hungrily sacrificed to this Hashut quicker than he could say Clan Skryre.

The Skaven shovelled yet more charcoal into the growling fire. He bit back the niggling sense of annoyance that crept through his mind. He knew the Dwarfs should have held him in awe, been stunned by his vast intellect, and cowered before his majesty and the power of the Horned Rat. Instead, he had spent what felt like years merely feeding the fires. The cool rational voice in his mind quelled this smouldering anger, had he not travelled the known world in search of knowledge? He had to adopt their way of thought rather than cling to his Skaven instincts. The Dawi Zharr never rushed, their brooding dark eyes were watchful and exacting, if he was to progress in the forges he would need to adopt patience.

The art of the forgemasters was exquisite, their daemonology unmatched. Their knowledge would further the Skaven’s ambitions and forge a legend amongst Skavenkind.

Ikit Claw raised his shovel again and smiled.

Entry #3: Axtklinge (3rd)

“East from the lands of our glorious Empire,
Beyond the grim Mountains of World’s Edge,
Lies a place of desolation – plain, wide and blight,
Where unimaginable evil thrives in plain sight.

In these scorched and soiled lands,
Without the holy blessings of Sigmar,
Lives an abominable and accursed race,
Reigning in blasphemy, for all our souls disgrace.

Short and broad and bearded like a Dwarf would be,
Black is their blood and souls - blackest could not be,
At their will - metal and fire and daemons - all bend,
Pray to the Emperor and Sigmar's strength to save us, for they may be our end.”

Tales from Ostermark Vol. II,
by Theodricus Hausfoog (Altdorf University Library, 2533)

1st Place - Gold Scribe Winner: Entry #2 - Jackswift
2nd Place - Silver Scribe Winner: Entry #7 - Ikkred Pyrhelm
3rd Place - Bronze Scribe Winner: Entry #3 - Axtklinge

And an honourable mention to Entry #4 - Fuggit Khan! (Who trailed Bronze by one vote.)

The Entry Key!
You can share your love for each entry (found here) by donating slaves to the owners of the entries!

01 - Hunter
02 - Jackswift
03 - Axtklinge
04 - Fuggit Khan
05 - Abecedar
06 - Rakhzul
07 - Ikkred Pyrhelm
08 - Admiral

Slaves and medals are incoming! If you wonder how many votes your entry received, PM me.

And now for the Gold prize, donated by Titan Wargames! The Gold winner receives one unpainted Grulka Blackhand miniature:

The winner will be contacted shortly via PM or E-mail.

Also, Abecedar and Fuggit Khan has both participated in 5 rounds of Scribe's Contest, earning each of them this tin Scribe's Contest Veteran medal. You can do the same!

A big "thanks" to everyone who participated and voted, as well as a big thanks to Titan Wargames for providing the prize!

Can't wait to see the entries in the blogs of everyone who entered. Also, please post them as new threads in the Stories and Background section of the CDO Forums. Wink

That concludes the fifth instalment of Scribe's Contest. It is a most valuable addition to the growing mass of Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblin culture texts accumulated on CDO. Well done, everyone! The maintained high quality of entries is particularly positive this round, since many of the entrants were new to the forum. Great debut, folks!

Stay tuned for a special round of Artisan's Contest around the corner.

The Staff

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 03:10 AM by Admiral.

10-26-2015 02:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ikkred Pyrhelm
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 81
Scribe's Contest Silver Scribe's Contest - Gold x4 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Ikkred Pyrhelm 10-26-2015

By the Horned Ra...I mean...by Hashut's flame, three votes was nowhere near enough! I'm pretty gobsmacked I did as well as I did. Fantastic writing all around on a very interesting theme too!

Hats off to the writing staff for a top notch competition!

Cheers! Cheers!

10-26-2015 04:29 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Abecedar 10-26-2015

well done everyone, especially the winners and the organisers.

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-26-2015 08:50 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Jackswift 10-26-2015

Congratulations to Ikkred Pyrhelm and Axtklinge!  First thing I did this morning was check for the results.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Thanks to everyone who read, enjoyed and voted for the story, and Thanks to all the writers for these well crafted glimpses into the deepening Chaos Dwarf mythos.   Cheers!  JR

10-26-2015 09:43 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Fuggit Khan 10-26-2015

Congrats to the winners...i'm happy to see that two of my votes made it Cheers!
And Jackswift...Holy Hashut! Your entry was superb! By far my most favorite of all stories entered from all five of the Scribes Contests.
Superb imagery..."the myriad of arcane symbols on strange towering hats" & "Stone rasped and crackled; granite mice skittering down the walls"...wonderful detailed descriptions that had me hooked Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
10-26-2015 01:23 PM
Axtklinge
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 134
Scribe's Contest Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Axtklinge 10-26-2015

Wow, I got 3rd!
Takes Hat off

Thanks to everyone who voted for my entry, and many congrats both to Jackswift and Ikkred Pyrhelm for their awesome entries!

Oh, and both thumbs up to Fuggit Khan entry, who was just one vote away from third.

Cheers!
Cheers everyone!
A.

NABBO League: Failling Go-For-It's Since 1999
CDO blog: The path of ZharKhan
10-26-2015 02:44 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Jackswift 10-26-2015

A high compliment indeed, Mr. Fuggit Khan;[/i] and very much appreciated!  Your own work was a favorite of mine and had my vote.  The "bound to iron" twist at the end was most clever of Chaos Dwarfish torments and quite unexpected.  Cheers!

10-26-2015 08:15 PM
Rakkzul
Hobgoblin

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 81

RE: Scribe's Contest V - Winners!Rakkzul 10-27-2015

Congrats to the winners, it was very fun to take part in this Takes Hat off

This post was last modified: 10-27-2015 04:15 AM by Rakkzul.

10-27-2015 04:15 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Winners! Admiral 7 755 03-01-2020 08:18 AM
Last Post: Dînadan
  Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Winners! Admiral 8 2,477 11-25-2019 10:26 AM
Last Post: Reaver of Uzkulak
  Artisan's Contest Gallery & Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame Up Now Admiral 1 2,261 09-27-2019 09:08 PM
Last Post: Reaver of Uzkulak
  Artisan's Contest XXVII - Winners! Admiral 13 7,175 08-14-2019 04:55 AM
Last Post: Will Liam
  Scribe's Contest XII - Winners! Admiral 12 6,282 05-04-2019 01:57 PM
Last Post: Gargolock

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites