Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Artisan's Contest XIX
Author MessageArtisan's Contest XIX
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 588
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
Artisan's Contest XIXAdmiral 05-06-2016

"Beyond lofty mountains in far-away parts lie the hazardous and infamous Dark Lands, like flayed flesh amid the wrinkled skin of the world. The world's hard crust is thin here, and amid all the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions it does not take much for the earth's surging guts to burst through it in showers of ash, flame and molten rock. Such a volcanic environment rich in minerals embedded in the ground would at first seem the ideal place for life to thrive, as are so many other volcanic landscapes around the world where sentient dwellers eat the rich fruits beneath the fiery mountains in-between divine outbursts of elemental destruction.

Yet the Dark Lands are anything but an idyll. Some say the very air is poisoned, others blame the water for shunning its wastelands out of fear. Others still claim the Dark Lands to be heinously cursed, for what else could leave it such a raw realm of leagues upon leagues of dreadful devastation? What else but an unholy curse could account for the ashen landscapes and foul storms which seek to strangle every ounce of life out of the ravaged Dark Lands? It is a nightmare location wracked by ash and flames, poisoned by sulphur and tar, and choked by black smoke beneath stormy skies. Truly, it has become hell on earth wherever the only imperial power to stand the test of time has put its mark upon the Dark Lands, for the mortal slavers and torturers known as the Chaos Dwarfs will gouge out the landscape in their greed, and leave nought behind but utter devastation.

Even so, life finds a way, even here, where sun and moons but rarely will shine through the polluted clouds. The Dark Lands are harsh, and so are all its lifeforms. Hardy without exception, bristling with thorns and poisons where plant life and fungi are concerned, and little else but ravenous killers in case of the beasts which roam these hostile landscapes. While sinewy herbivores such as goats and aurochs claw a living out of the defiant growth of the land, even they will turn into carrion-eaters and cannibals when necessary. No carcass is left untouched for long in the Dark Lands. Here, many creatures feed off each other, or hunt stragglers from the nomadic Greenskin tribes in the dark of night. They hunt alone, or they hunt in packs, such as the Giant Wolves are wont to do. Some are freaks of nature, others twisted into abominations by millenia of industrial pollution, alchemical filth and sorcerous residue spewed out from Mingol Zharr-Naggrund the Great and all her holdings. Others still are monsters, hulking and savage, clawed and fanged,  ever searching for blood and flesh, and who will balk at nothing to sate their ravenous hunger amid the ash and the fire and the desolation.

Such is the nature of plants and wildlife in the Dark Lands.

These are some of its denizens."

Chaos Dwarfs Online Presents: Artisan's Contest XIX!

Flora and Fauna of the Dark Lands

The goal here is to make some plants and animals of the Dark Lands, in the wild! People can enter with any number of models or terrain pieces. As long as they contain animals (some might be monsters) and plant life/fungi.

There are to be no living humanoid creatures (such things as killed Greenskins, torn apart in feeding frenzy, are however allowed), no armoured or armed creatures and no ridden monsters. This is to be the wild stuff, before being captured or enslaved.

There may be ruins in the entry, but these should be shown in a state where some crazy plants have taken over the place completely.

For this contest, entrants are allowed to play around with the entries. As such, you may use sand, earth, terrarium backgrounds and the like. Don't hesitate to put the creepy, crawly monsters on a real display! The landscape setting could be the gross, polluted mud by the river banks; tar pits; the dry ashen wastes; aside bubbling magma pits; the subtropical marshes down south; or even up in the cold, hard peaks of the mountains surrounding the Dark Lands.

Go wild! Your entry could contain anything from big ash scorpions; vultures; Orc-eating, half-starved lions; magmatubers; venomshrooms; or bloodsucking thornbushes.

Prize

Grimstonefire has been kind enough to donate this unpainted evil dwarf hero with a great axe as a prize for the gold winner!

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral or Bloodbeard and they will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is June 16th 2016 at 11:59pm EST.

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Model and paint creatures and plantlife which you think are appropriate to the Dark Lands, complete with background displays should you wish it.

Bases or no bases are up to you.

Submissions should include four pictures. No overlaid words of explanation or photoshop effects in your submitted photos please.

You may not submit pictures of a model that have been entered into other online competitions or posted in a finished state before.

Don't post your entries in the forum before the contest is over.

See also the General Rules & Guidelines.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with four photos of your entry. Please do not send an e-mail to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

Please note that your entry will benefit if the photos are all clearly composed, since voters will base their judgement upon what they can see in the pictures on their computer screens.

How will this be judged?

Sometime after June 16th we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 02:52 AM by Admiral.

05-06-2016 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kamphre
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 340
Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXKamphre 05-06-2016

Admiral Wrote:
The goal here is to make some plants and animals of the Dark Lands, in the wild! People can enter with any number of models or terrain pieces.

Rules of the Competition

I think there's a small copy/paste mistake. Or did I misunderstood ? Is it one entry with lots of different pieces or each piece count as an entry ?

Interesting theme !
I'm not sure how I can enter and make it useful for my army, but I could have a try.
Good luck everyone !

This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 09:30 AM by Kamphre.

05-06-2016 09:28 AM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 71
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXDînadan 05-06-2016

Kamphre Wrote:

Admiral Wrote:
The goal here is to make some plants and animals of the Dark Lands, in the wild! People can enter with any number of models or terrain pieces.

Rules of the Competition

I think there's a small copy/paste mistake. Or did I misunderstood ? Is it one entry with lots of different pieces or each piece count as an entry ?

Interesting theme !
I'm not sure how I can enter and make it useful for my army, but I could have a try.
Good luck everyone !

You can only have one entry, but that entry can contain any number of minis; eg you can enter a pack of wolves as a group shot, but you can't enter them seperately.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

05-06-2016 10:48 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXFuggit Khan 05-06-2016

Hmmm...interesting theme, I like it Takes Hat off
A good opportunity to make unit fillers and/or tabletop terrain Hashut!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
05-06-2016 11:45 AM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1391
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXZanko 05-06-2016

Sounds interesting ... really have no idea yet! Unsure

I have to seach a little bit in the wide world of the internet! Big Grin

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

05-06-2016 12:00 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAdmiral 05-06-2016

@Kamphre: What Dînadan said. Your one entry with 4 pictures can contain e.g. a pack of wolves, a ravenous spawn monster, a sludge ooze beast, bloodsucking reed and poisonous fungi. It could be a veritable army of the wild, so to speak, if someone would want to go full-hilt.

Also, these oddball things are often more useful than not in special scenarios. With packs of predators, it's full possible to throw in them as random movement neutrals roaming about at the flanks in scenarios, ready to gulp down small screening units. Or even have a scenario centerpiece monster made for this contest, and use it to spice up scenarios with something utmost lethal. Balance? Eh. Fun? Hell yeah!

And terrain is always useful. Tar pits, magma pool, dangerous thornbushes/fungi or charred trees will all add to the Dark Lands flavour of one's scenery.

The sky is the limit. Takes Hat off

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 12:52 PM by Admiral.

05-06-2016 12:40 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAbecedar 05-06-2016

No rest for the wicked. I have been enjoying having my brain in neutral.
Great theme and good building everyone

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-06-2016 12:41 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXJackswift 05-07-2016

At first, I wasn't too thrilled by this theme... thinking from the point of view of hoping for a deadline excuse to paint more units up for an army... I always work better and faster under a deadline... but then quite an interesting idea popped into my head... will see if I have time and inclination to execute it...

This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 10:31 PM by Jackswift.

05-07-2016 10:04 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAdmiral 05-13-2016

Regarding humanoids: Here is a slim grey border zone because of monkeys, many of whom are quite humanoid in the real world. Gorillas and such creatures are of course welcome, while neither Trolls nor Greenskins of any type are allowed (even though they are beneath bestial in the eyes of the Dawi Zharr). If you've got an idea for a primitive, non-sentient bipedal lifeform for your entry, please PM me or Bloodbeard, and we'll check the plan beforehand with you to make sure it meets the spirit of the contest.

However, to stay wild and stay away from sentience; tools and artificial weapons of any kind aren't allowed, even though real-world chimpanzees in particular stand as an example of a tool-using animal.

Good luck, everyone! Happy

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 05-13-2016 01:37 PM by Admiral.

05-13-2016 11:58 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAdmiral 06-02-2016

10 days left to go. Are you born to be wild?

Etsy shop

06-02-2016 01:39 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXFuggit Khan 06-02-2016

It just occurred to me that no matter what I enter, I will still earn a medal.
Because it will be my 10th entry for GH/AC, so I'll earn a very nice Shiny Chrome silver veterans medal Tongue Wink

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-02-2016 11:39 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXJackswift 06-02-2016

Frgrk... Sigh.  Unsure Sad  I'm out then.  For some reason I read the deadline as June 16th, not sure why, must have just glanced at the date.  I won't have a moment to spare for this until the 13th lol.  Was planning on 4 days of crunch to get it done.  Such is life.  Ill log on and vote when the judging comes up.

06-02-2016 08:06 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAbecedar 06-02-2016

@Jackswift.  That's sad.

I might actually beat the deadline this time and not rush at the end

Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-02-2016 08:39 PM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 366
Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXTheHoodedMan 06-03-2016

@Fuggit Khan: So you get probably  two medals this time Cheers!.

This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 05:46 AM by TheHoodedMan.

06-03-2016 05:46 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAdmiral 06-03-2016

@Fuggit Khan: Witness him!

@Jackswift: Darn! I hope we'll get to see your planned entry finished sometime anyway.

Given the general summer lull in people's indoor hobby activities, and the small little theme of this contest, I think it not out of place to impartially ask:

Do other entrants need a few extra days as well to be able to participate?

Should there be wider demand, it will be brought up in Staff.

I'll make an entry for the contest. The elf will have to wait a little while.

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 10:23 AM by Admiral.

06-03-2016 10:19 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAbecedar 06-03-2016

I should be fine but if any others need more time, go for it.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-03-2016 08:21 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAdmiral 06-05-2016

Very well, June the 16th it is, given the summer hobby lull and small theme of the contest 4 days more is acceptable. Make the best of the extra time, and see you at the voting.

Zharrassic Park awaits! Takes Hat off

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 03:00 AM by Admiral.

06-05-2016 02:55 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XIXGrimstonefire 06-05-2016

This is a cool idea for a competition.  If I were still living at my old place I would have entered for sure, but no time or raw materials handy I'm afraid.

Still, I'm excited to see what people imagine here.

Something that may inspire someone quickly, I wrote a bit of fluff years ago about a regenerating forest.  Afterall, if the CD are burning everything in sight for miles around there's not going to be any trees left.  Being in the dark lands of course my forest was pure evil and even had chaos treemen I think.

Anyhow.

Btw, whoever wins this I'd love to see some painted pics of my model I had cast. Wink

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
06-05-2016 03:37 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

RE: Artisan's Contest XIXJackswift 06-06-2016

Awesome!   Thanks very much for the extra time.  Im back in then and will do my best starting on the 13th to make a worthy piece.  Cheers!

06-06-2016 12:20 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XIXAdmiral 06-12-2016

Entry submitted. Go go go!

@Grimstonefire: I'd be very interested to see your take on this theme sometime, whether or not for contest.

Neat idea with a regenerating Chaos wood including malignant treemen. I also lean toward there being thickets of forests and shrubbery scattered about many parts of the Dark Lands. Rarely any large forest cover, and many times wrecked by volcanic eruption, monster activity or simple Greenskin marauding, but definitely there. You need to get wood from somewhere, after all.

Agreed, I hope we'll see him painted up following this competition. Happy

Etsy shop

06-12-2016 02:47 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Winners! Admiral 7 1,700 03-01-2020 08:18 AM
Last Post: Dînadan
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting! Admiral 10 2,037 02-26-2020 05:57 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Artisan's Contest XXIX Admiral 26 4,542 02-19-2020 11:28 AM
Last Post: Admiral