Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of Azgorh
Author MessageBlack Fortress Immortal's Legion of Azgorh
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 107

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-12-2017

Admiral Wrote:
I think your "comical" look of sharp contrast between fiery glow and dark armour is as iconic as it is striking in quality and contrast. I've looked at pictures of your army for quite a long time. This is precisely how one would imagine Chaos Dwarfs appearing in cinema if monochromatic trends persist but the art director had the good sense to include red as a spot colour. I'm glad to have seen such an exquisite mix of fire and darkness executed to this high degree. However, if you want to go for something else, then go for something else by all means. Happy

The corroded metal effect works well, too, and is a testament to your painting skills. I'm sure your army will look splendid like that as well. Any particular recipe to achieve that effect?

Wow, what a compliment!  

The amount of corrosion I would use is minimal, since I believe "less is more," in regards to rank-and-file troops, and I think it would add character.  Perhaps I will add the glowing helm or rune effects as well, but will see how the corroded effect works.  I'd like to mix a realistic relatively "simple" heat-damaged and shadowy iron and dark bronze look, with little touches like glow, corrosion, blood, battle-damage.  The details will be coming within the next month or two, since my competition lists for 1000-2500 games in AoS are almost all completed/basecoated.  

Leadbelcher base, nuln wash, typhus corrosion on the edges (streaked down when partially dry), to some agrax wash, VERY light rya rust drybrush on the edges, adding more "globs" of corrosion towards the corner (there are sediments that I try to get to catch on the edge), reapply rust if needed. Drybrush leadbelcher to ironbreaker towards the middle.  On the one with some patina/verdigris spots, I tried stippling some on there with stippled corrosion, after the agrax wash.

Age of Sigmar Record: 36 wins / 9 losses / 0 draw

This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 08:38 AM by Black_Fortress_Immortal.

05-12-2017 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-12-2017

Carcearion Wrote:
Looks great, always a fan of a worn or corroded metal look.

What technical paints did you use?

Newer Citadel line:

-Typhus Corrosion
-Nihilakh Oxide
-Ryza Rust

05-12-2017 08:29 AM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-13-2017

Just a little more highlighting on some models.

I have to revisit the "glow."

05-13-2017 11:11 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1459
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhAbecedar 05-13-2017

Looking very good

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-13-2017 07:56 PM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 206
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhCarcearion 05-14-2017

They look excellent! Love everything about your color scheme.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
05-14-2017 10:34 AM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-14-2017

Thank you, all.  I started doing further detail on the Daemonsmith with corrosion and cleaning up some detail.  I don't think that it loses any of the classic chaos dwarf magic, but gives a nice gritty and dark touch to the model, in my opinion:

05-14-2017 03:07 PM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 206
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhCarcearion 05-14-2017

Looks great! Love the corrosion effect, I was planning on trying to achieve this same kind of effect on my upcoming Beastmen army.

was this the same process you sited above that you used on your test sprue?

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
05-14-2017 03:14 PM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-14-2017

Carcearion Wrote:
Looks great! Love the corrosion effect, I was planning on trying to achieve this same kind of effect on my upcoming Beastmen army.

was this the same process you sited above that you used on your test sprue?

Yep, some washes on top of the corrosion, but added some drybrushing of necron compound (very light) which gives kind of that dusted silver effect.

I'm a little excited to get detailing, since I haven't seen many too many chaos dwarf army palletes that utilize the corrosion, or chaotic "grime" effect that much.  

"Fire and Ash" was the original inspiration for my color scheme (was a blog on here with only a few photos uploaded) but then decided to change the bronze and take things a step further and add glowing, darker/mutated flesh tones, etc.

I need a better camera for sure, since this resolution doesn't do the detail justice.

I will call these models completed, but I hope it didn't lose the original effect, that Admiral had feared:

This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 03:03 AM by Black_Fortress_Immortal.

05-14-2017 03:18 PM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

The Legion prevailed Takes Hat off

1000pt Take and Hold vs. Bretonnia

My army consisted of:
2 Daemonsmiths
1 x 20 Ironsworn
1 x 10 Ironsworn
3 x 10 Fireglaives
1 x 3 K'daai Fireborn
1 Balewind Vortex

The Kingdom of Bretonnia had deployed first, opting to strike, but missing with the Trebuchet, just holding their line and guarding the objective, rather than charging forward.  The Legion cast their spells, a mystic shield (failed) on the shield-wall of Ironsworn, and a Balewind Vortex from the other Daemonsmith.  The line advanced, with the K'daai flying forth to a rocky outcropping, and an arcane bolt had slain all but 1 of the Trebuchet crew, causing the survivor to flee in fear.  On the next initiative, the K'daai charged into the regiment of bowmen, slaying all but a few, which fled in fear.  The grail knights came under fire from an arcane bolt, and pyrelock shots.  They then retaliated with a charge into the Ironsworn, slaying nearly a dozen, but they themselves died in the bloody melee.  With the outcome looking certain for the Legion, Bretonnia fled.

This post was last modified: 05-15-2017 08:03 AM by Black_Fortress_Immortal.

05-14-2017 08:57 PM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-16-2017

Painting update for Drazhoath... I'll try to take better shots in daylight, but I must say that I'm rather pleased with the detailing plan thus far.  What are the thoughts?

This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 08:34 AM by Black_Fortress_Immortal.

05-16-2017 02:33 AM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-16-2017

With much less camera exposure:

05-16-2017 08:04 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 261
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhAdmiral 05-16-2017

They look good like this, too! The blood and fire and glowing eyes make the drab metallics pop.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Deadline 6th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
05-16-2017 08:31 AM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Admiral Wrote:
They look good like this, too! The blood and fire and glowing eyes make the drab metallics pop.

Thank you.  I'm glad you like it.

The bottom picture, I had just taken in natural light and was unhappy late last night with how the camera painting light was making it look, since the attention to detail was lost in the exposure.

05-16-2017 08:35 AM
Pappa Midnight
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 483
Scribe's Contest Silver Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2016 Golden Hat - Silver x2 Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhPappa Midnight 05-16-2017

Getting minis to look grimy with corroded armour isn't easy and can look messy....... yours, however, look excellent. Very nice work.

PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
05-16-2017 09:33 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 573
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhJackswift 05-16-2017

Welcome! Your use of a very limited palette has resulted in a very dark and appropriately sinister look to your army.  You have used it to very striking effect and the models look great!  I look forward to seeing more of your work.  Cheers

05-16-2017 09:40 AM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Thank you all for the kind words.  Drazhoath the Ashen is my favorite model, and I was worried that I would screw him up.

Next up is the Iron Daemon and some Ironsworn.

05-16-2017 09:47 AM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

The Legion prevailed Takes Hat off

2000pt Border War vs. Kingdom of Bretonnia

My army consisted of:
1 Drazhoath the Ashen
2 Daemonsmiths
1 Iron Daemon
2 Magma Cannons
2 Deathshrieker Rocket Launchers
1 x 20 Ironsworn
1 x 10 Ironsworn
3 x 10 Fireglaives
1 Balewind Vortex

Bretonnia finished deploying their forces first, opting to take the initiative and, with haste, advance their peasant and noble cavalry line forward to grab the border objectives, while their cannon fire missed their shots against the infernal warmachines.  Ready for the counter-advance, the Daemonsmith managed to summon a Balewind Vortex, gaining further bonuses to spellcraft, along with the Arcane terrain nearby, which powered up Arcane Bolt into the advancing peasants.  The Legion prepared their march towards each lateral objective with the Iron Daemon towing the Magma Cannons close behind the advancing lines of the Infernal Guard.  The magma flowed, incinerating the peasantry, with the Deathshrieker rockets slaying the cannoneers, and instilling fear into the Men-At-Arms.  The shock of battle caused some peasants to flee, but the Bretonnians pushed forth, charging the mystically shielded Ironsworn, who also were blocking fire from a hail of peasant arrows (in which the spiteful runes slain a few bowmen in return), losing only a half dozen or so guardsmen... the Green Knight did appear from the fey-realm, but failed his advance into the backlines of the Legion.  The nobles and heroes charged the Iron Daemon, aiming to bring it down, with no success.  The counter-fire was deadly... Drazhoath summoned Azghorian flames to engulf the knights, further succumbing to Arcane Bolts and a scalding Ash Storm.  The Infernal Guard fired, slaying the remainder of the knights, with soaring Deathshrieker rockets felling more and more... with a hail of possessed pyrelock hellfire, skin-curdling naptha, Cinderbreath's deadly gouts of flame, and molten magma, the Bretonnians held little to no chance.  With terror struck into their lines, Drazhoath the Ashen made a final charge into the remaining archers, shattering their lines.  With the Free Peoples slain, there was little standing in the way of the Legion from holding their objectives for a major victory.  The game was over by the end of the 3rd round, with the enemy conceding.

This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 10:12 PM by Black_Fortress_Immortal.

05-16-2017 10:09 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1459
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhAbecedar 05-16-2017

Well done.  I hates those dastardly brettonians to pieces

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-16-2017 10:55 PM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Abecedar Wrote:
Well done.  I hates those dastardly brettonians to pieces

I like them... seems like an easy source for weak slaves Wink

In a few days, I should be trying my luck against either some more vampires or stormcast.  Not sure which yet.  There's an AoS tournament in a bit over a month, where I'd like to get everything tidied up and looking good.  Not sure how the LoA would fare, but we'll find out.

05-16-2017 11:04 PM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of AzgorhBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-17-2017

Updated shots of Cinderbreath's armor plates with blood spatters:

05-17-2017 09:54 PM
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Legion of Azgorh - Zaramuskharaz' Chaos Dwarfs and their Infernal Machines Zaramuskharaz 18 3,026 03-05-2017 02:42 PM
Last Post: Pazuzu
  Dawi of the Black Fortress & AoS Warband gIL^ 87 27,130 09-20-2015 05:55 PM
Last Post: gIL^
  Thorgars Legion of the Black Fortress Thorgar 37 13,577 04-24-2014 09:40 PM
Last Post: Thorgar
  MLPs Legion of Azgorh [2500/4000] MLP 38 29,208 09-26-2012 03:16 PM
Last Post: DAGabriel
  Thrawn's Legion of Azgorh (Forgeworld Models) thrawn 49 32,214 09-11-2012 11:45 AM
Last Post: Vogon

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites