Author MessageThe Penguin's Desert Dwarfs
boyfights
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 60

RE: The Penguin's Desert Dwarfsboyfights 07-18-2018

The_Penguin Wrote:
KoW Vanguard can be used as a prelude to the battle itself, so there is a lot of appeal for me there. Happy

Now that sounds very interesting! I've always been a big fan of campaigns and linked battles which is a big part of why I've always trended towards skirmish games. My plan for the pinnacle of my campaign will involve blocks of 6mm troops and an undecided system though, I think I'll have to take a good look at KoW Happy

The_Penguin Wrote:
Sure, there you go. I guess it can be used for any skirmish gaming system:

I still need topaint it all! Shock

It's incredible Happy Is that all plaster casting? Very inspiring stuff! I haven't tried to make any terrain at all since I was a young kid so I'm excited to attempt my first table(s), that's next on the list after I finish the current batch of warbands!

07-18-2018 10:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 283
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAdmiral 07-21-2018

Very nice Sigmarite terrain! The statues and fountains add a lot. You'll have to tackle vignettes and scenery when the Chaos Dwarf army proper is done... at the very least after your grand rotation of all the fantasy armies is complete. Wink

Thanks for sharing!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Voting Deadline 22nd of November ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-21-2018 06:32 AM
Will Liam
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 334
Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsWill Liam 07-21-2018

That’s some of the best terrain I’ve seen for a while - so life like - brick by brick building I’m guessing - I’m also very interested in what material you are making it from and how you created the textures - looks amazing

Don't ever chase what they are never going to give you!!

Will Liam - finished Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblins
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=16923
07-21-2018 07:57 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 264

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-21-2018

Uther the unhinged Wrote:
Wow, just wow. Fantastic scenery. I don’t even want to think about the amoint of thought and work. Looks beautiful

Thank you very much! Takes Hat off I don't want to think either! Shock

boyfights Wrote:
It's incredible Happy Is that all plaster casting? Very inspiring stuff! I haven't tried to make any terrain at all since I was a young kid so I'm excited to attempt my first table(s), that's next on the list after I finish the current batch of warbands!

Thanks a lot! Cheers! Yes, that is plaster. Relatively cheap and quick way of creating entire tables! Happy

Admiral Wrote:
Very nice Sigmarite terrain! The statues and fountains add a lot. You'll have to tackle vignettes and scenery when the Chaos Dwarf army proper is done... at the very least after your grand rotation of all the fantasy armies is complete. Wink

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much! Big Grin After completing this one I was thinking about something similar, but in Desert Dwarf style. It is not for nothing that I asked your advice for a proper Desert Dwarf city name. Zhurr-Morrah awaits! Happy

Will Liam Wrote:
That’s some of the best terrain I’ve seen for a while - so life like - brick by brick building I’m guessing - I’m also very interested in what material you are making it from and how you created the textures - looks amazing

Oh, thanks a lot! Big Grin Yes, actually separate bricks do look more natural than those drawn or cut on the flat surface.

There is this wonderful gentleman -Bruce Hirst, who owns this company: http://www.hirstarts.com/ You can find all kind of awesome molds there: from gothic ones (used here) to egyptian or sci-fi ones. Most amazing and not that time-consuming even! Cheers!

However I have learned to cast molds myself, so some (second picture, the dwarven one on the road at the bottom) is cast from my mold. Nowhere near as neat as HA, but still you can cast pretty much anything you want with some time and skill. Takes Hat off

"But we, your brethren, scorned the Ancestor gods, and mocked your foolish rune rituals, and preferred instead our bull god Hashut. Who can blame us if it were you and your gods who left us?"

Golden Sands Desert Dwarfs

This post was last modified: 07-21-2018 09:41 AM by The_Penguin.

07-21-2018 09:38 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Slaves: 647
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsFuggit Khan 07-21-2018

Impressive!
Obviously a real labor of love is applied to all of your models and creations. Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
07-21-2018 08:56 PM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-22-2018

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Impressive!
Obviously a real labor of love is applied to all of your models and creations. Takes Hat off

Thank you very much! Desert Dwarfs turned out to become one of my most favorite armies. Big Grin

And that is why there is another update:

Lesser Golems

Desert Dwarfs' rivals say that they trap souls of convicts and criminals within the mechanical bodies of these fearsome golems. In reality Desert Dwarfs simply enchant various cogs and springs inside to answer the commands of sorcerers. Thus when the wizard moves his hand for example, the golem will do just the same. The best thing about this method is that the "pilot" can stay far behind the lines and fear not that the golem might actually develop a character of his own and start disobeying his master.

Desert Dwarfs Artillery

Desert Dwarfs utilize different pieces of artillery. One of the most popular ones are Flame Cannon and Rocket Launcher. Engineer-sorcerers use Golden Sands Desert efreeti essence while constructing these machines. It serves a dual purpose: on one hand efreeti generate fire that can be used to ignite flammable fuel for the thrower or to set rockets flying at the enemy, on the other hand restless spirits try to break free, but can't break the enchantment. So the only place where a leak of this energy is allowed is in the "legs" section. Thus the machine  slowly "crawls" forward on its own. Most useful!

Alas, the army is actually complete! Now it is time for terrain and perhaps some minor additions! Happy

"But we, your brethren, scorned the Ancestor gods, and mocked your foolish rune rituals, and preferred instead our bull god Hashut. Who can blame us if it were you and your gods who left us?"

07-22-2018 10:53 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAdmiral 07-22-2018

We demand full army shots! Or at least once the scenery and paraphernalia are also finished. Wink

Very good paintjobs for such quick work. I especially enjoy how you've painted the crew and artillery walkers' details. Nice background as well. I can easily imagine a bunch of pompous sorcers dancing a weird dance and spitting words of power while their retinues stand beside, hoping that their master has not gone mad but is actually controlling his golem...

And the Daemonic breakout efforts being directed toward the legs to move the machinery is a brilliant touch! Are you by the way looking for something particular to spice up your terrain and minor additions?

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-22-2018 11:33 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 08-08-2018

Well the time has come. The army is finished and I hardly have any miniatures for Desert Dwarfs to paint.Sad

I shall be painting terrain, of course as well as some minor additions, but still the army is finished. I enjoyed working on it quite a bit, so hopefully I managed to share some of my positive emotions through the pics! Takes Hat off

I hope you enjoyed this thread! Takes Hat off

This post was last modified: 08-08-2018 10:02 AM by The_Penguin.

08-08-2018 09:59 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAdmiral 08-08-2018

Wow! Magnificent army completed rapidly. Great theme and choice of models, it shows you had fun building and painting this army! This has been a pleasure to follow, and now I'm eager to see the terrain and paraphernalia that is to come.

Looking forward to see Zhurr-Morrah the Great unfold before our eyes. Happy

08-08-2018 10:20 AM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 206

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsUther the unhinged 08-08-2018

Wow, such a fantastic force and so skillfully done. I hope you can share your terrain work as well. Thanks.

08-08-2018 10:40 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1404
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert Dwarfstjub 08-08-2018

Well done, superb army!

Btw, are you playing in the KoW International Campaign Day?

My various other hobby projects on Instagram.

08-08-2018 10:57 AM
boyfights
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 60

RE: The Penguin's Desert Dwarfsboyfights 08-08-2018

It's magnificent Happy Very impressive all arranged together, great work!

08-08-2018 04:51 PM
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites