Post Reply  Post Thread 
Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!
Author MessageScribe's Contest XII - Winners!
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 261
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Admiral 05-02-2019

Winners of Scribe's Contest XII: Malevolent Mariners

"Yarr Vyxa!"

Just like all the other rounds, we had a neat turn-out of entries, with submissions spanning from pirate action to bloody murder and catchy songs. It was great to see such written upon dry Orc-skin parchment!

No doubt the texts were all written in spilt blood with trembling hands, or carved into the skulls of foes. Takes Hat off

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the winners!

Entry #3: Fuggit Khan (1st)

It had been a long journey, the Tilean thought to himself. Years ago he found a treasure map inside a bottle that washed up on shore...and it was signed by Captain Stonebeard, a notorious Chaos Dwarf pirate who disappeared decades ago. Legends spoke that he was dead, his treasure hidden in a cave with walls of gold.

The map was crude, it could be any island, in any sea. But the glass bottle itself was a clue, it was embossed with a brewery name. Years of searching had led the Tilean to find the brewery in a small northern seaport, and sitting in the brewery pub, drinking grog, was a Hobgoblin wearing an eye patch. The pub owner said that the Hobgoblin was a smuggler, who knew the local sea better than anyone, if anyone could find a hidden island, it would be the Hobgoblin.

Looking at the map, the Hobgoblin said he knew where to go, and as payment, the Hobgoblin asked the Tilean to pay his bar tab, and buy one more bottle of grog for the journey.

Hours later they arrived at a small rocky island, the Tilean eagerly exploring the sole cave. But he quickly realized that the walls of the cave weren't gold, they were iron pyrite, "fools gold". And then he saw it, a stone statue of a Chaos Dwarf...with only one eye.

Calmly, the Hobgoblin spoke:

"Dat's Stonebeard hisself, sorcerers curse, turned 'im to stone. First mate I was, Master he still is. He's dying word, keep his treasure secret, keep et safe. And fer loyalty, he gave me he's Daemonsmith eye"

The Hobgoblin took off his eye patch, revealing a prosthetic copper eye with an arcane rune. With one glance of the eye, the Tilean fell over dead, his soul ripped from his body and bound forever to the iron pyrite walls of the cave.

"Fools gold" the Hobgoblin casually remarked, as he took the treasure map from the dead hand of the Tilean.

He then uncorked the bottle of grog that the Tilean had bought him for the journey, drank it down, and then deftly rolled up the treasure map and sealed it inside the empty bottle.

After paying respects to his stone Master, he tossed the treasure map bottle back into the sea...his smile revealing his sharp copper plated teeth.

Entry #5: Uther the Unhinged (2nd)

Heimgrall looked at the blood slowly congealing on the deck. The assault, when it finally came, had been short and brutal. The few soldiers falling to the guns of the pirates. Even the Windsinger mages’ spells had died as they left his throat. That was before a bullet had taken the left side of his head. Heimgrall wondered blankly if it was his blood he was watching.

They had spotted the ship two days previously. The captain knew what that dark smoke on the horizon meant and had fled before it. It had been futile. The terrified passengers had watched their pursuers’ slow and inexorably gain with horror.

Heimgrall felt rather than saw the pirates stiffen. He looked up from where he was kneeling. The dwarf in front of him was heavily armoured, like the other Zharr Vyxa pirates. Yet his armour was trimmed with bronze and gold. Intricate runic designs decorating each scale of his brigandine.

“My Lord”

The dwarf turned his head to study Heimgrall. The golden deaths’ head mask  regarded him impassively

“My lord. We are only refugees, Take our valuables but let us live and you will have our eternal gratitude.”

The dwarf tilted his head.

“We do not want your baubles.” His voice was deep and tinged with humour. “We do not want your ship. We do not want your gratitude. We just want you.”

Slavery! Heimgralls’ last hope flickered and died. Images of whips filled his mind. Tears filled his eyes.

“I will never serve you!” The voice came from further down the line of kneeling prisoners.

“You may break my body but never my will. I will never serve you!” It was Adrithan, the young blacksmith.

The dwarf chuckled richly.

“Oh, you will serve. But don’t worry. We don’t need your body, or your will. I told you. We just want you.”

The dwarf raised the strange pistol that he held and fired.

The prisoner grunted. He looked in surprise at the small dart lodged in his chest, the long wires trailing from it and the pistol. Then he began to scream.

Heimgrall screwed his eyes closed to shut out the violet glow from those wires. He could not shut out that sound. The sound that clawed at his sanity. The sound of a soul being torn from its body.

The screaming was to last a long time.

Entry #6: Ikkred Pyrhelm (3rd)

A Daughter's Birth

Picks crunched and tore into stone as the slaves worked. The cruel masked overseer watched on as they worked, dark eyes seeking any who faltered. A meaty hand clutched a barbed whip even as other slaves moved around him, carting off mined minerals to the forges.

Hammer struck blazing metal again and again. An army of smiths ceaselessly worked ore into thick plates of blackened steel, great beams and curved ribs. Amongst the smiths robed priests moved from line to line, growling benedictions to Hashut. Every now and again they would pause and carve hateful runes upon the metal.

Within the drydocks the skeleton was formed of a mighty ironclad by teams of workers and slaves. Some perished as they worked from accident or malicious intent, their hot blood oozing into the young bones of the ship.

Upon his altar the Daemonsmith intoned the final rite of summoning as his acolytes took their blade to the throat of the sacrificial bull. It kicked and thrashed as its lifeblood oozed over the brass chased and runic etched wheel. From the still shuddering bull came a faint wisping smoke that coiled and curled with an almost hungry intent. The lights in the altar chamber then died one after the other and a scratching noise that emerged from the smoke turned into an inferno roar as the smoke erupted into the shape of a great daemonic bull of flame that poured into the bloodied wheel.

Bellowing Hellcannons, deprived of their wheels angrily tried to thrash in the chains that hoisted them into position upon the dark iron deck. Teams of Dawi Zharr engineers ran from cannon to cannon, fixing them to the decks even as the daemons roiling within them snarled. Great batteries of rockets and cannons too were erected and fixed to the decks and gunports, each one overseen by a growling forge master.

The brackish waters frothed and hissed to the touch of the ironclad as the drydocks were slowly opened to the sea. At the helm the shipmaster ran a stony hand through his beard before placing it almost tenderly upon the wheel. A low gurgling hiss was his response, the daemon within tasting and touching the ship that too was its body. Savagely smiling, the shipmaster gently turned the great wheel and the ship curtly obeyed. A ship made of pain and fury now let loose upon the world.

1st Place - Gold Scribe Winner: Entry #3 - Fuggit Khan
2nd Place - Silver Scribe Winner: Entry #5 - Uther the unhinged
3rd Place - Bronze Scribe Winner: Entry #6 - Ikkred Pyrhelm

Also, an honourable mention to Hashoooot, Reaver of Uzkulak and Jasko, who all trailed bronze by one vote. Tough and even voting this round! Should anyone have received a Scribe's Veteran Medal by entering 5 Scribe's Contests, please PM me.

The Entry Key!
You can share your love for each entry (found here) by donating slaves to the owners of the entries!

01 – Gargolock
02 – Hashoooot
03 - Fuggit Khan
04 - Reaver of Uzkulak
05 - Uther the unhinged
06 - Ikkred Pyrhelm
07 - Admiral
08 - Jasko
09 - Jackswift
10 - Abecedar

Slaves and medals are incoming! If you wonder how many votes your entry received, PM me.

And now for the Gold prize, from Zanko. The Gold winner receives one unpainted Daemonsmith:

The winner will be contacted shortly via PM or E-mail.

A big "thanks" to everyone who participated and voted!

Please post the entries as new threads (or posts in your own threads) in the Stories and Background section of the CDO Forums. Wink

That concludes the twelfth instalment of Scribe's Contest. It is a most valuable addition to the growing mass of Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblin culture texts accumulated on CDO. Well done, everyone!

Next up: Artisan's Contest!

The Staff

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Deadline 31st of October  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 05-02-2019 03:56 AM by Admiral.

05-02-2019 03:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 261
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Admiral 05-02-2019

Doodled an icon for my entry, being a fable written by the hateful enemies of Infernal Dwarves in the Ninth Age: The light-worshipping Ethiopian fantasy Dwarves of Kegiz Gavem:

The Infernal Dwarf Captain and the Stone Ship, by Karhemaq Telltongue

There was once an Infernal Dwarf captain serving aboard an ironclad warship. He was a cruel soul hungering for the chance to domineer and crush others underhoof. He was also known for his tenacity, and many believed that he would let nothing stop him once he had put his mind to the task.

One day, the lookout of this Infernal Dwarf's ironclad caught sight of one of our stone ships, flying the banners of Kegiz Gavem in broad daylight. The captain of the steel ship was gripped by a desire to board or sink this enemy vessel, and so he roared out orders on deck and set to the task of sea warfare with vomiting smokestacks. Paddle wheels steamed him closer, swinging in for a broadside, and he ordered his crew to open up with artillery fire.

Yet the Infernal Dwarf had the worst of this duel, and our barrage worsted him. And so he roared out orders to board us. Paddle wheels steamed him closer, and grappling hooks gripped our stout railing. And he ordered his crew to assault us.

Yet the Infernal Dwarf had the worst of this combat, and our warriors worsted him. And so he roared out orders to disengage and ram us instead. Paddle wheels backed water for him, and then steamed him onward at full speed. And he ordered his crew to brace for impact.

Yet the Infernal Dwarf had the worst of this ramming action, and our rock hull worsted him so badly that his metal hull creaked and ripped open as rivets popped. And the whole ironclad sank with all hands, except for the Infernal Dwarf captain.

And so he swam toward us, and our merciful warriors produced a rope-ladder for him to climb and thus save his life if he swore to surrender to the victors of naval battle.

Yet the enraged Infernal Dwarf captain refused this offer, and instead started to crash his horned head against our carved stone hull like a mad bull, throwing himself against floating rock again and again until his horns broke and his skull cracked and his brains burst. And so we left the Infernal Dwarf's corpse dishonourably for the sharks to devour. For stubbornness is a virtue, but stupidity is a sin.

- The Infernal Dwarf Captain and the Stone Ship, by Karhemaq Telltongue, mutilated war veteran and author of fables in Kegiz Gavem

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Deadline 31st of October  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
05-02-2019 04:33 AM
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 54

RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Jasko 05-02-2019

What a great contest, and very deserving winners! Takes Hat off
Thanks to anyone who voted for my story, an honour trailing these great entries.

Chaos Dwarf Showcase: Legion of Jaskorh
Offtopic Showcase: Night Goblin Auxiliaries
Hobby Blog: ijasko @ Wordpress
05-02-2019 05:47 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Reaver of Uzkulak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 145
Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Reaver of Uzkulak 05-02-2019

Well deserved! Congrats to the winners! Takes Hat off

Army Blog: Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet

Other miniature projects on Instagram
05-02-2019 07:01 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1528
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!tjub 05-02-2019

Congrats!
Sadly I didn't have time to read them all before the contest was over... But they've all been very inspiring! Takes Hat off

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

05-02-2019 11:13 AM
Ikkred Pyrhelm
Hobgoblin

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 81
Scribe's Contest Silver Scribe's Contest - Gold x4 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Ikkred Pyrhelm 05-02-2019

*Returns from the Wastes*

Hoy there all, it's been a while! Big Grin

As always, stellar work from you behatted dwarf-things and the scribe-lords running this. And many thanks to everyone who voted for my entry, much appreciated! Takes Hat off

Congrats to the winner-meat, and am looking forward to the next one! Happy

Tales from the UnderEmpire
Avatar by ShuNian (with a bicorn added for good measure!)

This post was last modified: 05-02-2019 01:22 PM by Ikkred Pyrhelm.

05-02-2019 01:16 PM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1364
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Zanko 05-02-2019

Congrats to the winners! Takes Hat off

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

05-02-2019 01:16 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 740
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Fuggit Khan 05-02-2019

Yarr, Pirate Treasure for the Gold  Cheers!
Thank you gentlemen for your votes, I was quite surprised that I won, considering all the other great stories from everyone else. And I would like to respectfully donate my prize of the unpainted Daemonsmith to Jasko, because I love his story of Hobgoblin treachery (not to mention that my Thai mailing address is ridiculously long to write, it's practically another story in its own right).
Thanks again to everyone, and a special thanks to Zanko for donating the prize!
Cheers, and beware of one eyed Hobgoblins drinking grog  Cheers!
...Fuggit Khan only has one eye...

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
05-02-2019 11:14 PM
Uther the unhinged
Great Taurus

Slaves: 569
Scribe's Contest Silver Best Overall Member - 2018 Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Uther the unhinged 05-03-2019

A well deserved win Fuggit! You got my vote. Mind you there were so many great entries. I was surprised to be in the top three so thanks to all who voted for me.

An AoS creation myth: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17414

Uthers’ legions of Hashut: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17110

Bosom of Hashut: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=18010
05-03-2019 03:56 AM
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 54

RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Jasko 05-03-2019

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Yarr, Pirate Treasure for the Gold  Cheers!
Thank you gentlemen for your votes, I was quite surprised that I won, considering all the other great stories from everyone else. And I would like to respectfully donate my prize of the unpainted Daemonsmith to Jasko, because I love his story of Hobgoblin treachery (not to mention that my Thai mailing address is ridiculously long to write, it's practically another story in its own right).
Thanks again to everyone, and a special thanks to Zanko for donating the prize!
Cheers, and beware of one eyed Hobgoblins drinking grog  Cheers!
...Fuggit Khan only has one eye...

Wow, errr, I don't know what to say, except a huge thank you very much, this is incredibly generous! Takes Hat off

Chaos Dwarf Showcase: Legion of Jaskorh
Offtopic Showcase: Night Goblin Auxiliaries
Hobby Blog: ijasko @ Wordpress
05-03-2019 07:30 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Jackswift 05-03-2019

Very well earned gentlemen!  Takes Hat off A fun contest to be a part of

05-03-2019 02:14 PM
Hashoooot
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 58

RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Hashoooot 05-04-2019

Well done everybody! I graciously concede victory to my excellent competitors!

05-04-2019 04:46 AM
Gargolock
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 306
Best Attitude - 2018                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XII - Winners!Gargolock 05-04-2019

Congrats to the winners! This was very fun to be a part of. Can’t wait for the next one.

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog

Hochland Army Blog
05-04-2019 01:57 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest Gallery & Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame Up Now Admiral 1 484 09-27-2019 09:08 PM
Last Post: Reaver of Uzkulak
  Artisan's Contest XXVII - Winners! Admiral 13 5,524 08-14-2019 04:55 AM
Last Post: Will Liam
  Scribe's Contest XII - Voting! Admiral 11 5,812 05-01-2019 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gargolock
  Scribe's Contest XII Admiral 28 6,994 04-26-2019 10:15 PM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Artisan's Contest XXVI - Winners Admiral 15 2,266 01-31-2019 06:57 PM
Last Post: Bolg

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites