Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Golden Hat #7 - Painting Competition
Author MessageGolden Hat #7 - Painting Competition
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 499
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionXander 09-11-2008

Pyro Stick Wrote:
I totally agree. Thats why i always suggest a unit or a rank of something or a warmachine so i was quite dissapointed by the diorama decision...

For your entry you could have a rank of 5 Chaos Dwarfs  placed on a scenic base attacking a Troll, or an Ogre, or a Slayer.

You could have a war machine crew and war machine placed on a scenic base as the crew defend the war machine from some Harpies, or Daemons.  The Daemons find the daemon-bound war machine to be an abomination, and are trying to ransack it to help their brethren escape!

The possibilities are virtually endless.

Use your creativity! Cheers!

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter

This post was last modified: 09-11-2008 10:57 AM by Xander.

09-11-2008 10:54 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pyro Stick
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 15
Slaves: 959
Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionPyro Stick 09-11-2008

I stand by my excuse! I would much rather paint a sorceror or a warmachine on its own and concentrate on its paint job than have to worry about making it into a diorama and include a fancy base (...apart from my mages) and models interacting with each other when its never going to be used as a diorama, apart from this gh, ever again. It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition. I actually do have an idea for an entry so i may still enter. But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

My Chaos Dwarf Collection: GHXXVI

09-11-2008 11:11 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionXander 09-11-2008

Pyro Stick Wrote:
It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition.

How can the Glory of Hashut be pointless? This website is about showing off how cool Chaos Dwarfs can be!  The Golden Hat is a showcase of excellent talent and creativity.  It's not merely an endeavour to facilitate creation of your own army, thought it certainly can be used as such.  Part of the idea of this topic is to show Chaos Dwarfs as they relate to other species in the Warhammer world.  In essence, the theme is to show that Chaos Dwarfs belong in Warhammer, and we are going to show it!  Much of purpose of this website is to promote the acceptance of Chaos Dwarfs to non-Chaos Dwarf players. We want to raise consciousness! We want to say, "Look at these Chaos Dwarfs taking on a Stone Troll!" or "Look at that Herald of Khorne fighting that Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer!" or "Look at that Chaos Dwarf Lord taming that Khorne Juggernaut!" Chaos Dwarfs interacting with other armies and races is what Golden Hat #7 is all about, and I just know we are going to see some very fine entries conveying this theme.

Duels and Open categories have been a part of Golden Demon for a long while. And neither one explicitly requires conversion work.  If you can make a model on a base, you can make ground for the duelers to stand on. Pick two (or more) models that you think look like they could be engaged in a stand off, and paint them up, then make room for them on a larger base.  None of that requires any conversion work beyond deciding what to place the heroes on.

Hopefully I have convinced you of the merit of this topic. Happy

Pyro Stick Wrote:
But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

We did consider that. And we have many GH competitions yet to come. But there are larger goals at CDO than just motivating people to make things for their army.  We also want to inspire people. Have people push their skills.  Show of what our community is capable of.  Ask not what CDO can do for you, ask what you can do for CDO! Anyone can just paint a war machine, or a rank of Blunderbussers, they don't need a competition to do that.  But to have a Blunderbusser firing shrapnel at an Orc Warlord, ripping bits of flesh off him? That takes a little extra community effort.

Happy

This post was last modified: 09-11-2008 11:47 AM by Xander.

09-11-2008 11:33 AM
Obsidian
Voice of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 226
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver x2                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionObsidian 09-11-2008

Actually the Duel category is still quite young withing the Golden Demon competitions but okay... Tongue

The only way I might enter is if I can come up with a strong enough concept that can also be used in the Polish Golden Demon I might attent later this year.

The Obsidian Forge
09-11-2008 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Canix
Spirit of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 10

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionCanix 09-11-2008

Great idea for a competition .Time is always of the essence for me but i will try to have a go the idea is there just the excecution(he he ) that i may find hardRespect to the Hat!

Realists are hampered by there inability to comprehend the true nature of reality
The Pledge 2010:
Bought:11 Painted:12
09-11-2008 11:56 AM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 854

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionGhrask Dragh 09-11-2008

There has been 6 Golden Hats for single miniatures, it's time for something a bit different I think!!

Also if we are just going to stick to army entries the competition it will have no longevity, it would be over a lot sooner than it could be.

Cheers!

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
09-11-2008 01:58 PM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 87
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionIshkur Cinderhat 09-11-2008

I have no problem at all if many people stay away from this one. All the more glory for me! bwahah Hashut!

09-11-2008 02:30 PM
two_heads_talking
Lammasu

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 0

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competitiontwo_heads_talking 09-11-2008

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
I have no problem at all if many people stay away from this one. All the more glory for me! bwahah Hashut!

gah.. I have no chance against your sculpting prowess.  Perhaps my stuff will look cr*ppy against your magnificant works..  (my previous enthusiasm has been deflated a bit.. )Sad

This post was last modified: 09-12-2008 06:46 AM by Hashut's Blessing.

09-11-2008 02:37 PM
Sojourn
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 0
Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionSojourn 09-12-2008

I likely won't have time to enter into this but I have a couple points to make. (yah, I'm gonna speak my mind)

a) how is a diorama much different from basing a regular model? instead of a small rock, take a slightly larger rock. paint, dry brush... BOOM! rock. almost as mother nature intended.
b) diorama's are the COOLEST, I remember I made a sick prehistoric scenery in grade 2... and then in grade 3 medieval stuff. wicked. relive your youth people! feel young again!
c) Pyro: not everyone IS building a CD army, so a GH for a rank or multiple CDs can be more daunting than one that allows a custom made CD duelling with perhaps an already painted mini from another army. That seems like a great compromise to me.
d) THT: lol.
e) Ishkur, you have no more room for glory. you already have 5 medals Tongue

um, yah, ok. floor is open to discussion (freakin' election season... gets everyone in the debating mood. bother)

self-assigned gold stars:

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
On special orders by Sojourn, Crayola created a Sojourn-coloured crayon. No matter what you draw with it, the result will always be a picture of Sojourn in her CDO t-shirt, looking smug.

09-12-2008 01:12 AM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1264
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competitionclam 09-12-2008

I just have to agree with Pyro and Snotling here about purpose of GH. So, I hope we could go back to basis’ after this one.

Duel and diorama categories are cool – and I’m looking forward to see some great entries here. I’m just not contributing with one of them – sorry!

And why? As I have no use for a show piece to be sitting on my shelf – I need troops to be fielded at the battlefield.

And yes, I can hear what you guys are saying (GFS, Xander and more) – just make the models on slottabases or pin them in so they can be removed – but that’s not the really the point – is it?

To me cool duels/dioramas should be a pleasure to the eye, showing beautiful terrain and very dynamic posed models fighting – and apart from the terrain-thing that’s the big problem for me. These extreme posed figures would be useless game vice, as they will never rank up in a unit. Don’t need warriors, heroes etc. that can’t join in.

So yes, I could just take two random models, stick them to a diorama base and call it a duel – but I wouldn’t be pleased with it – nor would you. So, no Clam-entry at GH7, sorry – but good luck to you all.

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook
09-12-2008 04:01 AM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionKera foehunter 09-12-2008

Take one star off sojorn !!!!!!for talking about election!!!!!! it non stop all the time bull.
Making me go mad!!!!!!!!!!will trade places with some one  
Well it sad that people are dropping out . but it great for some of lesses artist!!!

The last of female chaos dwarf
09-12-2008 05:55 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 731
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionHashut's Blessing 09-12-2008

You dn't even HAVE to make a terrain base. Just position two models within the space limit and take the picture or place on a movement tray or make a scenic base which you later put your favoruite bolt thrower on or something. Also, as for saying the interacting models is putting people off: use the BfSP troll, stick a blunderbusser facing it's front and it looks like it's throwing the stone at him and getting shot at... Both can then later be used in the army..
I'm surprised to see so many people disliking this idea (not that your opinions are wrong, I just thought it'd be warmed tomuch more).

I hope those that aren't entering reconsider because their work is very nice...

On that note: I understand about those that lack time as well.

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

09-12-2008 06:51 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionXander 09-12-2008

Pyro Stick Wrote:
I stand by my excuse! I would much rather paint a sorceror or a warmachine on its own and concentrate on its paint job than have to worry about making it into a diorama and include a fancy base (...apart from my mages) and models interacting with each other when its never going to be used as a diorama, apart from this gh, ever again. It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition. I actually do have an idea for an entry so i may still enter. But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

Kera foehunter Wrote:
Take one star off sojorn !!!!!!for talking about election!!!!!! it non stop all the time bull.
Making me go mad!!!!!!!!!!will trade places with some one  
Well it sad that people are dropping out . but it great for some of lesses artist!!!

She's talking about the Canadian Election, not your American one. Takes Hat off

09-12-2008 08:15 AM
Sojourn
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 0
Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionSojourn 09-12-2008

Stupid [Canadian] elections. *grumble* my stars stay put Kera! Tongue

what if.... I'm just spitballin' here... people just made 2 models, placed them on a piece of paper, and with the help of some markers/crayons DREW a terrain base? at the end, crumple it up, no harm done. hehe n_n

If I can find the time, I really want to get involved in this one, but, I dunno. I have some ideas floating around.... *floats away*

self-assigned gold stars:

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
On special orders by Sojourn, Crayola created a Sojourn-coloured crayon. No matter what you draw with it, the result will always be a picture of Sojourn in her CDO t-shirt, looking smug.

09-12-2008 08:51 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 731
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionHashut's Blessing 09-12-2008

Sojourn, effectively, that's what i was saying without the effort of drawing and/or crumpling Wink

Join in Tongue

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

09-12-2008 09:40 AM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionKera foehunter 09-12-2008

Sorry !!!!!!!!i did not know !!!you guys are copy cats
Sojorn you have plenty of time !!!! don't make me beat these guys alone
we could be first and second

The last of female chaos dwarf
09-12-2008 10:45 AM
two_heads_talking
Lammasu

Market Rep: 2

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competitiontwo_heads_talking 09-12-2008

I like doing different things.. doing the same old paint competitions is like driving a nail into a board. AFter the 6th or 7th nail, your hand goes numb and you mind goes blank.  

I see nothing wrong with doing categories that not everyone is interested in. For cr*p sake, could you imagine trying to do something that we all had to agree upon? What's the saying?  

You can please some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

This post was last modified: 10-05-2008 07:16 PM by Hashut's Blessing.

09-12-2008 11:29 AM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1224
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionWillmark 09-12-2008

I must admit that I'm in the same boat as HB and mystified as to why this is getting resistance? It not like you can't use models that you already have or use them I. Your army once finished.

THT- you hit the nail on the head. I not asking anyone to do this if they don't want to. I think it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I look at it this way: it increases my chances of winning.

My Want List / My Trade List
09-12-2008 12:53 PM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionGRNDL 09-12-2008

Either enter or don't. The Powers that Be have spoken and put their efforts into organizing the contest.

Dwarves don't whine about this or that. They do.

Get building...

or not...

(Ok, SOME dwarves grumble, but they still do. And I'm not talking about Dawi Zharr.  Take it out on the slaves, and then build)

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

09-12-2008 07:45 PM
Vexxus
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 67
Army Showcase Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionVexxus 09-12-2008

Willmark Wrote:
I must admit that I'm in the same boat as HB and mystified as to why this is getting resistance? It not like you can't use models that you already have or use them I. Your army once finished.

THT- you hit the nail on the head. I not asking anyone to do this if they don't want to. I think it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I look at it this way: it increases my chances of winning.

Mystified? Really??

For starters, the models used for this contest do not contribute towards the assembly of your Chaos Dwarf Army, because to truly be competitive you need to put together an interactive set of models on scenery. In EVERY previous Golden Hat competition, the contest involved making something you could easily use for your army, and in most cases wanted to have a brilliant conversion and paint job on.

Secondly, you ARE asking people to do this. In this thread we have seen multiple occasions of people dictating how one might be able to enter the contest 'in and around' the mangled guidelines provided. By this I mean to say that in many posts it seems you are looking for lots of entries, not quality entries that fit a very specific set of guidelines. In fact, the only 'rule' that has not been waivered on is the dimensions, and they are the most ridiculous of all! Why would you put size restrictions on this competition, and then be loosey goosey with "oh they don't have to be in combat" or "keep it PG". The size limitation is very unfortunate, as it needlessly stifles creativity and hard work for no apparent reason whatsoever, save perhaps a fear that someone else would put more time and effort in, and make something bigger. Do you mean to say that bigger is better in all cases? Ridiculous. In back to back breaths we are told that "there is no limit but our creativity", and "oh, by the way, heres what we decided to make happen for .... wait for it... consistency. . ."

Thirdly, this contest clearly involves painting non-CD models. Golden Hat contests have ALWAYS been great because they worked towards our goal of adding to our CD army, always that is... until now. An Artisans Contest by any other name, would be just as obviously an Artisans Contest. The AC was the outlet for branching beyond the CD standard army list, which is clearly (at least in part) what is happening here.

On a final note, I don't know why people get bent out of shape when others have opinions that differ from their own. No one is hacking the site, or being destructive. People who are voicing their concerns do so such that their views are known, and can be taken into consideration in the future. It is shocking to me when people are so completely blown away when someone voices their opinion.

Cheers
Vex

09-12-2008 08:07 PM
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Golden Hat #8 - Painting Competition Grimstonefire 244 126,652 03-01-2009 05:33 PM
Last Post: clam
  Golden Hat #6 - Painting Competition Willmark 184 94,139 07-04-2008 09:09 PM
Last Post: Hashut's Blessing
  Golden Hat #5 - Painting Competition! Grimstonefire 164 93,843 04-02-2008 12:30 PM
Last Post: Grimstonefire
Exclamation Golden Hat #3 - Painting Competition! The Flying Beaver 86 43,034 10-01-2007 09:54 AM
Last Post: Canix
  One Week Left for the Painting Competition! Xander 15 8,732 09-27-2007 07:32 AM
Last Post: Xander

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites