Author MessageGolden Hat #7 - Painting Competition
Sojourn
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 0
Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionSojourn 09-12-2008

ah Vex, I can't be as awe-inspiring as that, but here's what I know...

aside from me, I'd say many people have other armies that they can steal the duel-ee from. Make a CD that WILL fit in your CD army clobbering the poop out of it, and bam, it's done. sure it's simple, but make a stellar CD figure that you can be proud to include in you CD army!

there is no limit but your creativity, but in an effort to TRY to make the diorama's somewhat comparable (and picture-takeable) the 15-cubed dimensions (which were relaxed for flying models, correct?) seem reasonable. I mean, someone could make a duelling diorama with their 2,500pt or 6,000pt or what-have-you army. how will that compete against my measly 2-character duel? it's hard to say, but I don't want to find out! lol if only Kera and I enter, I might have a chance Wink

But Kera, you know how to get me interested, so for you, I will try to enter Wink. And seeing as I'm not committed to any army in particular, making a CD or not making a CD doesn't matter. If people don't want to participate, that's fine. it is. I guess I see some reasons as more of a "I need to give a reason" rather than "I have a true reason". *shrugs*

hopefully, next time everyone will be happier with the choice, but THT is right, you can't please everyone. So remember if you're annoyed with this topic, maybe the one you're suggesting is upsetting just as many people. Like, why is there no "prettiest female model" GH? hrm? yah, I don't know either. Tongue

self-assigned gold stars:

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
On special orders by Sojourn, Crayola created a Sojourn-coloured crayon. No matter what you draw with it, the result will always be a picture of Sojourn in her CDO t-shirt, looking smug.

09-12-2008 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1224
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionWillmark 09-12-2008

Vexus-

- None of the Staff is dictating anything, period. Either you enter or you don't; its that simple, there are no hidden agendas here regarding this.
- I'd like both quality and quantity in ANY Golden Hat competition, regardless of topic, regardless of ultimate use.
- Where did we say that Golden Hat is always about "X"?
- As far as requirements this was consensus amongst the Staff.
- Artisans-like? Definitely your perspective and you are entitled to it.
- PG-13 is stifling? I have no problems with R rated let me assure you; however there are a few younger members on the site, merely something to consider.
- No one is getting bent of shape (at least it doesn't look like it from the Staff perspective) about anyone having different opinions. YMMV.

As far as the rules being confusing: We tried to make this as open as possible.  We are simply telling everyone to keep it in certain dimensions and include some chaos dwarfs. Other then that its up to the modeler in question how they want to create something, this is the most open contest we have ever done, we figured turning you guys loose to create anything you wanted would be a good thing... apparently not.

In short feel free to criticize anything you want to, no one is going to tell you any different, but in all honestly on many points you're not even close to what the Staff has discussed. We not trying to stifle anyone, but rather encourage everyone to think about this in a different way. Our follow-up comments were simply to clarify, not confuse or even contradict.

In closing what is sad to think that we put forth this contest with the idea of letting people create a scene of anything they wanted to highlighting Chaos Dwarfs,  and instead we are discussing the merits of giving people too much free reign.

My Want List / My Trade List

This post was last modified: 09-12-2008 09:17 PM by Willmark.

09-12-2008 09:12 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vexxus
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 67
Army Showcase Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionVexxus 09-12-2008

Willmark Wrote:
Vexus-
  We are simply telling everyone to keep it in certain dimensions and include some chaos dwarfs.

Wilmark-

Certain dimensions makes this contest too much about the base/diorama and not enough about the CDs. This isn't only my opinion. If I wanted to make a battle of 2-6 minis on a 4 foot by 4 foot board, would that really give me an edge? The simple answer is no, because I would still only get 4 photos, and the focus would be on the models fighting not the base. What it WOULD do, is give more freedom to the artist to create something amazing for the contest, that they can also actually want to use afterward. To put a size restriction is pointless, and yes, stifling.

09-12-2008 09:28 PM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionKera foehunter 09-13-2008

join in or don't !!!! if you don't like this contest
don't join in!!!!!! there are all types of site out there join in on one of there
Contest i do !!
now i now why we don't do a monthy contest!!!!
like other sites!
Btw the staff has alway did a good job having these before
thats RULES!!!!! that all i have to say about that!!!!

The last of female chaos dwarf
09-13-2008 05:20 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vexxus
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 67
Army Showcase Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionVexxus 09-13-2008

Kera foehunter Wrote:
join in or don't !!!! if you don't like this contest
don't join in!!!!!! there are all types of site out there join in on one of there
Contest i do !!
now i now why we don't do a monthy contest!!!!
like other sites!
Btw the staff has alway did a good job having these before
thats RULES!!!!! that all i have to say about that!!!!

Don't worry Kera, I am not upset here, nor am I complaining. Wilmark was dumbfounded as to why there was resistance, so I was attempting to summarize some common reasons why, as well as add my two cents, so that he might better grasp a standpoint that is not his own. I have already said I was passing on this one, like other people, so at this point its just a matter of self expression -- I am not looking to be a downer!

Long live CDO!

This post was last modified: 09-13-2008 07:08 AM by Vexxus.

09-13-2008 07:05 AM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionWillmark 09-14-2008

Actually I said "mystified" not "dumbfounded" as in puzzled. In a round about way I'm simply trying to get people see it a different light...

As far as getting that people have a different viewpoint on this... I get it.

You do have one part correct thou:

Vexxus Wrote:
Long live CDO!

Happy

This post was last modified: 09-14-2008 06:26 AM by Willmark.

09-14-2008 06:23 AM
Kera foehunter

Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionKera foehunter 09-19-2008

i'm omost done !!! all i have to do is paint!!!!

09-19-2008 03:46 PM
Vanvlak
Hobgoblin

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionVanvlak 09-20-2008

Ok, I have to enter 6mm scale models in the Epicomp I'm organizing, I have a steam aeroplane modelling 'duel' on Lead Adventures, I have a cat batting old plastic ogres off the UPS - ERIKA! leave those alone! - (er, sorry) -  what the heck, I'll try to join in this one too. Pity said cat wouldn't fit in the allowed size (as if she'd stay put for the photo). Ah well, I can safely say my entry will not be 'Cat batting Bighats'. Happy

MMX COUNTER
Purchased 0 - Painted 3
09-20-2008 02:31 AM
WarplockMonkey
Bull Centaur Hero

Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionWarplockMonkey 10-01-2008

Well folks, my entry isssss FINISHED!

Just got a few more tweaks to do..and ill be sending up pictures to the MODs!

I must say, i think this idea has been the best GH so far. I dont collect ANY army, i just sculpt as i please, so this competition has really motivated me!

- Warplock

"I dont have TIME fo' pain, the only pain I'VE got time fo' is the pain I put on foos who dont know what time it is" - Terrible Terry Tate

Got an idea for that model you've always wanted to make, but couldn't find the means to convert it? Seen that bit of artwork and thought 'That would be an awesome model'? Give Warplock a PM, any sculpting/converting request considered Wink

Sojourn Wrote:
Anything Warplock says, instantly becomes fact.

10-01-2008 02:09 PM
furrie
hat lover

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 243

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competitionfurrie 10-01-2008

I realy need to get this project in a higher gear Tongue

My blog with big hatters

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
I like big hats and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, when a dwarf walks in with an iddy biddy thing and wears it on his head, you get sprung...

Kera foehunter Wrote:
But there is only one choice
Big hats anything else is just a emo Dwarf

10-01-2008 02:12 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionWillmark 10-01-2008

I've got my started, slowly but surely it is coming together.

This post was last modified: 10-01-2008 03:34 PM by Willmark.

10-01-2008 03:33 PM
Kera foehunter

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionKera foehunter 10-01-2008

i have to do some high lights and i will be done!!!

10-01-2008 04:30 PM
Sojourn
Bull Centaur Lord

Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionSojourn 10-02-2008

I'm eager to see these entries! I can't wait Happy

oh, and I should probably work on my entry too....

self-assigned gold stars:

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
On special orders by Sojourn, Crayola created a Sojourn-coloured crayon. No matter what you draw with it, the result will always be a picture of Sojourn in her CDO t-shirt, looking smug.

10-02-2008 12:25 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 731
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionHashut's Blessing 10-05-2008

Not had time to work on this so far due to university and moving in etc.  However, I'm quite sure I know what I'm going to do Wink

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

10-05-2008 07:23 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionWillmark 10-05-2008

I'm hoping to have the base done this week. Then next I should have the figures done, leaving the following week for painting... Hmmmm

10-05-2008 10:10 PM
furrie
hat lover

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competitionfurrie 10-06-2008

I hope I can finish the base and the figures this week, so I have some more time for painting

My blog with big hatters

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
I like big hats and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, when a dwarf walks in with an iddy biddy thing and wears it on his head, you get sprung...

Kera foehunter Wrote:

10-06-2008 12:44 AM
Auretious Taak
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionAuretious Taak 10-06-2008

I want to do one, I have the BEST IDEA EVER, but the question is: do I have to do a Chaos Dwarf or can I use a Black Orc as my main Subject?

Also, if the base is a pain, just have the scenic base then have shots of the models without the scenic base. Easily done.

Auretious Taak.

Upon a lonesome quest with No.1 for company and 212 slaves for the grand prize! The only clues so far are the colour blue and the direction up. A Sorcerer is needed to divine further meaning I am sure...

Respect to the Hat!Takes Hat offShockUnsure

*Sighs at the lack of emotes allowed in a sig, here I was with LOTS! Now just 5 max...Sick*
10-06-2008 09:55 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 499
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionXander 10-06-2008

The way I look at it is this.  This is a Chaos Dwarf forum, people are looking to see Chaos Dwarfs, and will likely vote on models that look Chaos Dwarfy.  So if this Black Orc clearly belongs to a Chaos Dwarf army, it will look good to most people. Happy

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter
10-06-2008 10:22 AM
furrie
hat lover

RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting Competitionfurrie 10-17-2008

I'm almost ready, I just need to do some painting and I'm ready.

My blog with big hatters

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:

Kera foehunter Wrote:

10-17-2008 08:18 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 499
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #7- Painting CompetitionXander 10-17-2008

I need to get painting too, my conversions are mostly done. Happy

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter
10-17-2008 08:32 AM
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Golden Hat #8 - Painting Competition Grimstonefire 244 126,339 03-01-2009 05:33 PM
Last Post: clam
  Golden Hat #6 - Painting Competition Willmark 184 93,917 07-04-2008 09:09 PM
Last Post: Hashut's Blessing
  Golden Hat #5 - Painting Competition! Grimstonefire 164 93,695 04-02-2008 12:30 PM
Last Post: Grimstonefire
Exclamation Golden Hat #3 - Painting Competition! The Flying Beaver 86 42,929 10-01-2007 09:54 AM
Last Post: Canix
  One Week Left for the Painting Competition! Xander 15 8,718 09-27-2007 07:32 AM
Last Post: Xander

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites