Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Artisan's Contest #3 - Voting Thread
Author MessageArtisan's Contest #3 - Voting Thread
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 742
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
Artisan's Contest #3 - Voting ThreadHashut's Blessing 12-28-2008

I'm somewhat disappointed to say that we have had VERY few entries.

For category one, the written category, we have a just three entries:

Entry #1- Written Contest
The plan I had to represent a Chaos Dwarf shrine was to build one based on a bull's head. Can't go wrong for a Hashut theme if you stick to bulls!

What I planned to do was use mainly foamboard to build a big scale version of the Warrior’s of Chaos Juggernaut's head. It would be sitting so it was facing up, with two large horns added (no rhino horn).

Being made mainly from foamboard it would be clean to make, not relying on carving foam at all (messy and tricky to get looking good). It also wouldn’t require me to buy any special bits or tools.

I was thinking it would be cool to have it so the lower jaw had some stairs going up into it. The teeth would be fixed closed, mainly to make it easier to paint, but there could be a door going in at the top of the stairs to show it's a shrine and not a statue.

It would be coated with a thin layer of ready mixed polyfiller in places to make it look a little more like stone (not black iron), then painted as black obsidian with extreme red highlights on all the edges (nice and easy!).

For the base I would keep it fairly simple. Building the model up a little ontop of a stone (pink foam) outcrop might really make it look the part, and some small iron 'teeth' sticking out from the base (like in the new Warriors of Chaos book).  I would add some plasticard runes on so hopefully it would fit a Chaos Dwarf theme. The iron teeth would be painted as rusty iron.

Entry #2- Written Contest
I decided to have it based on our main city-del capital, Zharr Nagrrund. Basically, create a ziggurat, as shown on the GW website and in one of the issues of WD. Next, build a small altar from card, strengthened using pieces of sprue and place this in the centre at the top. Add a sorcerer model and paint as a statue, but leave space on the altar for offerings (maybe include some jewels, slaves, weapons etc) and paint the rest. Build some braziers and place on each tier, near the steps and either side of the altar.

Entry #3- Written Contest
Creating a Chaos Dwarf Shrine

Material Needed:
- Some foam or R4 residential insulation (higher density materials are better here).
- Glue gun or white PVA glue
- X-acto/hobby knife
- Rubber bands (optional- depending on size of shrine)
- Some sort of basing material (pressboard, chip board)
- Balsa Wood (larger flat board work best)
- Ruler
- Ballpoint pen- (optional- see below)
- Textured paint- (optional- see below)
- Toothpicks
- Sandpaper - (optional- see below)
- Greenstuff
- Matte spray

The following is a step by step of how to make a chaos dwarf shrine with just the materials listed above. No matter what the modeler sets out to create, whether it is a helmet, a bull shrine, what have you, the basic construction principles are the same.

For the purposes of this guide the modeler will be assumed to be creating a Bull Shrine on a stepped ziggurat. Simply adjust the basics to fit your own modeling idea.

Steps
1. Measure out and cut a 4” (W) by 6” (D) piece of pressboard, this will be the base.
2. Cut out a piece of balsa wood that is ¼” of an inch smaller on all four sides; repeat this with each step of the ziggurat that you are going to add. Glue all together. Use rubber bands if needed to secure the piece while it dries.
3. Cut 4, 3-inch pieces of foam or R4 residential insulation. For width, no more than 1 inch. Glue several pieces together as needed to get the desired thickness. Rubber bands and set glue aside to dry.
4. Cut a 5-inch piece of foam or R4 residential insulation and glue together as needed to get a thickness of 1-3 inches; glue and rubber band as needed.
5. Cut a roughly rectangular cube of foam about 2 ½ inches wide.
6. When all parts are dry take the toothpicks and insert into the ends so they will form joints to white glue together. Arrange in a rough frame assembling the structure into a bull shape. Make sure you are satisfied with the positioning before gluing. Don’t forget to position the head.
7. Once dry: Take your hobby knife and make sure the blade is sharp. Start to cut long straight cuts while trying to echo flat surfaces rather the rounded ones. Cut the basic shape of the legs, (use sand-paper to lightly smooth the legs to make them more rounded if that is what you are going for). Be careful not to make them too thin or they will easily snap.
8. Proceed to the body and repeat the process in step 7.
9. Proceed to the head and repeat the process in step 7.
10. Take special care to not “over-carve” features such as the eyes, ears, or nose. Such features are best hinted at.
11. Once carved, apply greenstuff as needed to fill any holes, awkward junctions or joints. Once ready glue the Bull to the base. Let the whole thing dry overnight.

There is so much variation as to what you might carve in essence, that it serves no purpose to tell you what to do. Make the statue your own. One good tip here is to make sure you are continuously checking to make sure that it will stand on the base properly.

If so desired, prior to painting use a ballpoint pen to drawn in runes on the piece. Take care not to press too hard while doing this.

From there make sure the whole thing is dry.  Either undercoat by hand with acrylic paints (spray paint will “eat” the foam or use textured paint as desired).  Paint as desired and spray with a matte spray. For weathering thinned green washes may work well for an aged look.

Paint and there you have a handy piece of chaos dwarfy terrain for your table!

Next up, the drawing category:
Entry 0: We had no entries here, sadly.

Lastly, the building category! Where we had 3 entries:

Entry #1- Build Contest

Entry #2- Build Contest

Entry #3- Build Contest

Please PM your votes to me. Closing date is Sunday the Fourth of January, 23:59 GMT. You need to vote for both category one and category 3, please.

My deepest apologies to written entry 3 for losing your piece. I have asked the voters to read through yours too and revote.

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

This post was last modified: 07-22-2009 01:16 PM by Xander.

12-28-2008 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
grom
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 0
Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting Threadgrom 12-29-2008

HB look in PMs - I voted already Takes Hat off

btw. something is wrong with my web browser (Firefox 2 - Im using automatic coding):

It happens only on main page - on forums all look to be fine. Could anybody help me? ;]

CMON - mine and my friend works

This post was last modified: 12-29-2008 03:52 AM by grom.

12-29-2008 03:51 AM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1225
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadWillmark 12-29-2008

I think it is  something with FF, to be honest, I noticed similar results to this when they launched version 3.

My Want List / My Trade List
12-29-2008 07:21 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Obsidian
Voice of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 226
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver x2                               
RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadObsidian 12-29-2008

Hashut's Blessing wrote:

''I'm somewhat disappointed to say that we have had VERY few entries.''

Jup, sorry 'bout that mate. I had too little time with the wedding and all and when I finally sat down to write something all I had in mind was gone... I've also been noting much less trafic on the site for the last few weeks, it seems all the 'core' members are occupied elsewhere.

Hopefully I'll enter something in the future for AC but I aint promising anymore...

The Obsidian Forge

This post was last modified: 12-29-2008 01:35 PM by Obsidian.

12-29-2008 01:34 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               

Typical of end of the year though, in terms of slowdown with holidays and all. I expect things will be roaring again soon.

This post was last modified: 01-01-2009 02:55 PM by Xander.

12-29-2008 01:42 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Obsidian
Voice of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadObsidian 12-29-2008

Let's hope so. I'll be contributing with atleast one blog, maybe three!

The Obsidian Forge
12-29-2008 01:48 PM
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1271

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadAGPO 12-29-2008

To be expected really, we've held lots of competitions this year, people can only give up so much of their time to enter web contests. maybe we should increase the spacing between competitions.

Check out my blogs!:
Chaos Dwarfs (6/6/09)Other shiny things (13/11/11)

I follow the Grumpy But Responsible Gamers' Charter. Join us!

Sojourn Wrote:
FYI Wilmark, the only alcohol I'm drinking is from that bucket

12-29-2008 02:20 PM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadBassman 12-29-2008

Sorry maybe it is just me that I'm dumb... where can I vote? I cannot find a poll Unsure
Shall I pm Hashut's blessing?
Thanx

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://milanoarte.net/en/tour/the-last-s...ly-for-you

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

12-29-2008 03:22 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Send your votes to HB via PM.

12-29-2008 03:27 PM
two_heads_talking
Lammasu

Market Rep: 2

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting Threadtwo_heads_talking 12-29-2008

Willmark Wrote:
Typical of end of the year thou in terms of slowdown with holidays and all. I expect things will be roaring again soon.

I was going to say, planning any sort of thing around the Nov-Jan holidays is like trying to walk through broken glass without cutting your feet. It can be done, but it's so very difficult.

12-29-2008 04:00 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Yeah perhaps and evaulation of that is in order by the Staff.

In any event get your votes in everyone. If you have commentary for the entries this the place for it as well. Just keep the comments contructive everyone.

Also congrats to everyone who entered. Goes to show that even during a busy holiday time it can get done!

12-29-2008 04:33 PM
Jamros
Hobgoblin

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadJamros 12-29-2008

The entrys are all really good

Hey! Take that massive plank out of your own eye before you try to flick this little piece of sawdust out of my eye, buddy!
12-29-2008 06:53 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadWillmark 12-30-2008

I like the WIP nature of the photos on the entry for the build category in entry #1.

12-30-2008 06:36 PM
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

Slaves: 1271

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadAGPO 12-31-2008

I must admit I'm a tad uncomfortable with the fact that the written entries, which can be done in a few minutes are up for a medal in exactly the same way as the built entries which have all clearly had hours of work put into them. Not trying to restart that debate again, I just thought it should be said

Check out my blogs!:
Chaos Dwarfs (6/6/09)Other shiny things (13/11/11)

I follow the Grumpy But Responsible Gamers' Charter. Join us!

Sojourn Wrote:
FYI Wilmark, the only alcohol I'm drinking is from that bucket

12-31-2008 09:38 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 503
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadXander 12-31-2008

Check the Chaos Dwarf Discussion section for more discussion of medals. Happy

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
12-31-2008 02:36 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadWillmark 12-31-2008

Also let's not debate the merits of how medals are awarded here, please keep it to a discussion of this AC Wink

12-31-2008 03:42 PM
Borador Away
Collector of Renegades

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 1

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadBorador 01-01-2009

When will be the next contest? I could try to find some free time in my schedule if I know when it is ^^

01-01-2009 12:02 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadWillmark 01-01-2009

Once set check the front page as well as the calendar, rich now there is a bit of discussion going on amongst the Staff. Also right now Golden Hat is next up in the rotation.

01-01-2009 12:07 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 503
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadXander 01-01-2009

To me, the success of the competition isn't based on the number of entries itself, but the quality of entries.  And I really like these entries.  

The main page character problems have been around for a while.  Certain characters trigger it, like double spaces, for example.

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
01-01-2009 02:58 PM
Obsidian
Voice of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest 3 Voting ThreadObsidian 01-02-2009

Willmark Wrote:
Also right now Golden Hat is next up in the rotation.

And what will be the theme?Rolleyes

The Obsidian Forge
01-02-2009 11:26 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest XXX: On New CDO Discourse Forum! Admiral 0 803 06-21-2020 10:36 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Winners! Admiral 7 3,646 03-01-2020 08:18 AM
Last Post: Dînadan
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting! Admiral 10 4,164 02-26-2020 05:57 AM
  Artisan's Contest XXIX Admiral 26 6,855 02-19-2020 11:28 AM
  Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Winners! Admiral 8 4,797 11-25-2019 10:26 AM
Last Post: Reaver of Uzkulak

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites