Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Artisan's Contest IV Input
Author MessageArtisan's Contest IV Input
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1225
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
Artisan's Contest IV InputWillmark 03-19-2009

The Staff and some of the members of the site have been discussing the content of the next Artisan's Contest. In the queue it would be Artisan's Contest IV. We generally alternate between Golden Hat and then Artisan's Contests and since Golden Hat VIII just ended...

For those not in the know Artisan's Contest has grown and evolved as we have tried to make it a contest on par with the Golden Hat. It became its own contest from the desire to have another contest that members of the site can participate in that was not solely about models. Each time we have run it, we have tried something different with varying degrees of success. The previous times it has not gone well and participation has been less then what we have hoped for.

So with that in mind you will find a poll as We'd like to see if the site is in favor of scrapping the Artisan's Contest, keeping it, or other. If you vote "other" please add your proposal below and tell us what you'd would like to see. About the only thing to not suggest is models as that is what Golden Hats are for obviously.

Other then that throw out any idea you wish to. We have a few ideas, but do not want to unduly influence anyone.

My Want List / My Trade List

This post was last modified: 03-19-2009 11:40 PM by Willmark.

03-19-2009 11:37 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputGRNDL 03-19-2009

I think the Artisan's contest fills a desperately needed void: a competition for those who aren't necessariy modelling/painting/art/craftily inclined.  I think we need it, but I think it needs some reworking. I have a feeling that people think that using art to submit will generally result in an entry that is more likely to win.  Also, I think wading through reams of text entries is a mentally trying thing for a judge to do.

I have no idea how it can be twiddled, but I think it needs some twiddling...  I'll get back to you if I think of anything.

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

03-19-2009 11:54 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
orcboy
Slave

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 0

RE: Artisan's Contest IV Inputorcboy 03-20-2009

Yes keep it and get on with it already. Happy

03-20-2009 01:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loki
Wearer of the Big Hat

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 269
Best Attitude - 2009 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputLoki 03-20-2009

Yes keep it going, i have never taken part in one and would like to Happy

Fequiil Said
------------------------------------------------
yeah, everybody can just say that, but when loki speaks...
everything is different.Wink

03-20-2009 04:35 AM
Ubertechie
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 3

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputUbertechie 03-20-2009

Willmark
I think a competition that those of us that are greenstuff inept can enter is fantastic - however what that entails I am not sure - but certainly would be interested in taking part even if only to make up the numbers

03-20-2009 04:55 AM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputKera foehunter 03-20-2009

i think we should keep it

The last of female chaos dwarf
03-20-2009 05:21 AM
Pyro Stick
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 15
Slaves: 960
Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputPyro Stick 03-20-2009

You should keep it but it definately needs to be reworked. No more of this reading through huge portions of text describing how to build something. I would like to see more terrain building contests (now that ive got metres of foamboard and a hot wire cutter lol).

My Chaos Dwarf Collection: GHXXVI

03-20-2009 05:23 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 503
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputXander 03-20-2009

One thing that has been discussed is having a creative writing contest for lore, or short stories, or even rules creation for a special character or similar.

Anyone like those ideas?

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
03-20-2009 08:49 AM
two_heads_talking
Lammasu

Market Rep: 2

RE: Artisan's Contest IV Inputtwo_heads_talking 03-20-2009

@ xander..  Yes, I like those rules. seperate the written from the modeling would be a good way to achieve that no?

03-20-2009 08:55 AM
Ubertechie
Bull Centaur Hero

Xander - whilst those are all good ideas - i think having it open to any form of article could be interesting that way thoose of us that like to write tactics pieces, battle reports and analysis of other armies can all pitch in as well. The success of GH is probably due to its fairly loose constraints therefore making the Artisan contest  equally loose would make sense as well.
e.g. to follow on from GH make the next Artisan - write an article about warmachines - it can be anything from a short story through to a tactics article the constaints are it must be between X and Y words long and must relate to both warmachines and Chaos Dwarfs

03-20-2009 08:56 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 503
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputXander 03-20-2009

Simply an article about war machines?  Certainly we need some constraints or else what is the contest even about?  The GH is a painting and modelling competition, but it's nature it is constrained in that way. "An article" could be pretty much anything including text and images, and thus painting and modelling as well, computer graphics work, drawing... etc etc.

Do you have any more clarification of what you intend?

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

This post was last modified: 03-20-2009 09:09 AM by Xander.

03-20-2009 09:09 AM
so.sad
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Artisan's Contest IV Inputso.sad 03-20-2009

I did vote other since I think it should be kept but definetly needs adjustment.

My suggestion would be: link the artisan contest and golden hat for a greater good or long term goal.

for example such a long term goal could be to create a CDO Chaos Dwarf Armybook.
In this case several contest links would be necessary and they could look like this:

1. find a general topic for the contest couple. For example "special choice"
  2. Have an Artisan contest on this topic. This would be open for all kinds of entries like

• Written entries featuring existing special choices (background)
    • Written entries featuring new special choices (background)
    • Statline changes on new/existing units (perhaps together with a battlereport to justify the changes)
    • Paintings featuring new/existing units
    • etc.

3. Have a Golden Hat contest on the winning Artisan entry
    (do 5 miniatures if a unit won, 1 for a charakter, build terrain if such thing won, etc)

I do recognize this is an ambitious idea but I like it Happy

my Chaos Dwarf blog - now sculpting bluderbussiers
03-20-2009 09:18 AM
Ubertechie
Bull Centaur Hero

Xander Wrote:
Simply an article about war machines?  Certainly we need some constraints or else what is the contest even about?  The GH is a painting and modelling competition, but it's nature it is constrained in that way. "An article" could be pretty much anything including text and images, and thus painting and modelling as well, computer graphics work, drawing... etc etc.

Do you have any more clarification of what you intend?

Xander I think that was my point that it should be nice and open but constrained to the written form. However that form could be anything of the following (as examples)

A short story about how hellcannons are forged
Expirmental rules for a new warmachine
Tactics guide to using our warmachines

Thats what I was thinking and by making it reasonably open ended you stand to attract the maximum number of entrants. These things can all take considerable time and effort to get right (the battlereport i posted this morning took me a couple of hours just to knock togehter and that was a rush job).
However I guess the staff needs to decide what direction to take the Artisan competition in and what they want it to represent that is significantly different to GH

This post was last modified: 03-20-2009 09:24 AM by Ubertechie.

03-20-2009 09:23 AM
TLTG
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputTLTG 03-20-2009

Personally I don't think it has to link to GH.  I kind of like the idea of it being its own separate entity.  A judge should leave it very open, so you can get a wild variety of results.  If I say terrain, we could wind up with two people who build terrain, three people who write tactics about using terrain, one person who writes a terrain creation tutorial, one person who writes a short story about an attack through difficult terrain, whatever.  That would be really interesting.

Although part of me also thinks a competition to have the most interesting battle report would make for a good contest, and generate a lot of fun reading for those of us who sneakily browse CDO from work or school.

03-20-2009 10:23 AM
Pyro Stick
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 15
Slaves: 960
Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputPyro Stick 03-20-2009

Xander Wrote:
One thing that has been discussed is having a creative writing contest for lore, or short stories, or even rules creation for a special character or similar.

Anyone like those ideas?

I like the idea of writing Short Stories but i dont know how many people would want to read through them all. Creating rules is something that only a small amount of people would be interested in, and again, not many people would want to have to read through them all and it would be quite a hard thing to judge.

My Chaos Dwarf Collection: GHXXVI

03-20-2009 10:28 AM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputGRNDL 03-20-2009

re: Creative story writing...

Then in that case, you could make the competition a "drabble". 100 words, exactly - no more, no less - to tell a story...  Its challenging and kind of fun if you like writing at all.

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

03-20-2009 11:12 AM
Revlid
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 191
Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputRevlid 03-20-2009

The main problem, as I see it, is that the Golden Hat is a modelling/painting competition that inevitably attracts the best of the best. Putting up the Artisan's Contest in a manner that competes with the Hat, in any area, only drags down both - certainly, models are not a requirement to enter the Contest, but realistically only the entries with models or good artwork can win.

Therefore, we need to separate the Artisan's Contest as far as possible from the Golden Hat, making it vary from Contest to Contest, but never touching on models. An Artisan Contest could cover...
a) Artwork
b) Drabbles
c) Short stories
d) Special Characters
e) Tactics Guides
...in a similar format to the Golden Hat, but never infringing on it.

This would be my idea.

Madness? THIS IS... Well, maybe it isn't Sparta, but it's still pretty awesome.
Would you kindly comment on my Warhammer Armies: Chaos Dwarfs?
03-20-2009 12:40 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputGrimstonefire 03-20-2009

I honestly don't know which option to vote for, but I will add here that all the things mentionned don't have to be part of a competition at all.

Terrain/ rules/ stories etc.  All these things could just be things that people did anyway and put on the site.

An idea to consider.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
03-20-2009 01:09 PM
TLTG
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputTLTG 03-20-2009

Competition is a strong motivation for many people.  I am far more likely to spend time creating something if I can compete with it.  That's one of the reasons I am drawn to Warhammer in the first place.

Creating special characters would be another really awesome sounding challenge, by the way.  You could generate a real wealth of interesting characters and broadly varying perspectives, and someone working on a homebrew army book could pick their favorites to include!  Sounds rad.

03-20-2009 01:12 PM
AllEvil
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 19

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputAllEvil 03-20-2009

I would be all for getting rid of it if it meant more Golden Hat competitions.

03-20-2009 01:27 PM
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Winners! Admiral 7 1,636 03-01-2020 08:18 AM
Last Post: Dînadan
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting! Admiral 10 1,947 02-26-2020 05:57 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Artisan's Contest XXIX Admiral 26 4,464 02-19-2020 11:28 AM
Last Post: Admiral