Author MessageArtisan's Contest IV Input
Khan!
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 35
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputKhan! 03-20-2009

I like the idea of doing lore or rules or fanfiction, although it's a good point that we may not all want to read through reams of text.  I think that's been a problem with the artisan's contest from the beginning however.  As soon as I saw entries that were describing things that might be good hobby projects, rather than the hobby project itself, I lost interest in the whole process.  However, if part of the writing and competition process includes editing advice and revisions and fine-tuning of the submissions, lore etc might be interesting to explore.

Basically in my opinion the contest as it stands is pretty dull, particularly in terms of the "write about this idea you have for a cool terrain piece" parts.  Make a terrain piece - yes!  Describe it - no thanks.  

Write some interesting fanfiction - sure, competition might promote more creative and polished ideas.  Make some neat special characters - cool, sounds good.

Me and Avalokitesvara - we're pals, see?
03-20-2009 01:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 87
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputIshkur Cinderhat 03-20-2009

I always liked the "creative crazyness" aspect of the Artisan's contest, but then again I never quite got to grips with the way in which the ideas were to be presented.

I felt that describing things in text format is a) boring and b) favours those whose first language is English, which may be fine because it probably covers 80% of the community here, but it's not my thing.

03-20-2009 01:54 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1225
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputWillmark 03-20-2009

Write a special character could be cool, then tie it into tje following Golden Hat... Not a Bad idea, I'll give Khan credit for that one.

My Want List / My Trade List
03-20-2009 03:43 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Khan!
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 35
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputKhan! 03-20-2009

Hm, thanks, although strictly speaking TLTG and Revlid both beat me to it, I just intended to comment on those suggestions.

Me and Avalokitesvara - we're pals, see?
03-20-2009 04:33 PM
Tarrakk Blackhand
Tarrakk Blackhand LIVES!!!

Slaves: 637
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputTarrakk Blackhand 03-21-2009

Why not just have the Artisan's contest be as simple as "Build a model of something that is part of the Chaos Dwarf world that isn't a figure and include a 50 word description." and then keep the Golden Hats to the Figure and Army list subjects.

Here's some examples of items that could be included in the two contests to keep them interesting, yet unique:

Artisan's Contest ~ Terrain by region (from Sea of Dread to Black Moutain Pass ~ 1 location per contest) - Hobgoblin/Sneaky Gits camp - Hobgoblin Wolfrider's Training aera  and Stables - CD Slave Wagon - CD Temples - CD Machine Shop - CD Industries - Former CD Temples now in Ruins - CD Ziggurats - CD Mining Camps - CD Warmachines not found on RH list - ETC. The contest would also have to include a 50 word write-up describing what the contestant has entered. (One idea per contest.)

Golden Hat Contest ~ CD Warriors, CD Sorcerers, CD Blunderbuss crew, CD Heroes, Hobgoblin Wolf Riders, Hobgoblin Heroes, Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers, CD Warmachines found on RH list,  Sneaky Gits, etc. All items must be on RH CD list. Contestant does not have to provide a write-up. (One idea per contest.)

Story Writer's Contest - 200-500 word short stories based on - CD Battles, CD Slave Trading, CD Machinery, CD Life, CD Religion, CD Politics, Hobgoblin Politics, Hobgoblin Wolf Rider Raids, CD Military Stories, etc. (One idea per contest.)

Technical Writer's Contest - 200-400 Word articles on CD Techical items such as CD War Machines, CD Mad Inventions, Hobgoblin War Machines, Hobgoblin Mad Inventions. (One idea per contest.)

Sketch Artist's Contest - 1-3 drawings of the CD World including  Characters from the RH list, Characters NOT from the RH list, Locations, Armour, Weapons, Mad Inventions, etc. (One item per contest.)

These are just some of my ideas. I know they could be elaborated on more, but I'll leave that up to the Admin and Mods.

This way, there's a contest for everyone.

Amaze your friends when you post your Chaos Dwarf model pictures on our forum at http://www.monster-hobbies.com today!

This post was last modified: 03-21-2009 12:05 AM by Tarrakk Blackhand.

03-21-2009 12:02 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputGrimstonefire 03-21-2009

Would it be worth creating another poll with the types of categories that Tarrakk did above?  We could make it so you can vote on multiple things, the things that you would actually want to enter.

That way we can find out what level of interest there is in each of these types of things, so we don't go with something that only has 3 people enter.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 03-21-2009 07:22 AM by Grimstonefire.

03-21-2009 07:22 AM
jolpis
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 0

RE: Artisan's Contest IV Inputjolpis 03-21-2009

i really love the idea of crating a unit and then modelling it Count me in!

-The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
-the hitchikers guide to the galaxy... pure genious!
03-21-2009 07:58 AM
Ubertechie
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 3

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputUbertechie 03-21-2009

It just seems a shame to have another modelling contest that thoose of us that are not good at  converting have no chance of being competitive in. If that is what Artisan will become then it would just be better to have more GH's and drop artisan alltogether

03-21-2009 08:18 AM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1391
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputZanko 03-21-2009

@ Tarrakk: sounds great!

I´m totally consistend with you, great ideas!

... and everyone of the CDO members can take part at his/her prefered contest!

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

03-21-2009 08:53 AM
Baggronor
The Forgemaster

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 620
Army Showcase Best Contributor - 2009 Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2010 Best Contributor - 2012 Best General - 2013 Major Prize Sponsor Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputBaggronor 03-21-2009

I like what Tarakk says about having lots of contests for different categories. That way everyone can participate in a field of their choosing. Narrow them down to the ones that get a reasonable amount of votes and then run them in between Golden Hats, or even run them in different threads simultaneously.

http://www.titanwargames.com
03-21-2009 12:33 PM
Tarrakk Blackhand

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               

Here are a few more catagories worth investigating :

Best Painted Figure : a contest that is open to all Figures and consists of "Out of the Box" models, that's to say non-converted models that are just painted. Seeing as there's no "official" CD's, other than Blood Bowl, I feel that it should be open to any figure in the GW line-up. It could also include Avitars of War, Nexus, and any other non GW company.

@Ubertechie ~ I don't quite understand your line of reasoning. First off, all of the original Golden Hats were about painting and converting figures, including GH 8. The previous Artisan's were about building scenery pieces. They were unique, but they did require converting or scratchbuilding. To combine the two contests into one would still require scratch building and converting.

I'm hoping that my contest ideas will be varied enough to help those who may lack in some skills, but excell in others. I feel that if we lump every idea into Golden Hat that the meaning behind Golden Hat will be lost and it might take a long time to return to a subject that you might preferr, such as writing.

However, if we break into more contests, then everyone has a chance to excell at their preferred subject and not get judged beside a different subject.

@ Baggronor ~ I don't think we should run them simultaneously for the reason that the judges and members will be determining their votes based on looking at pictures, reading text, etc. To have 2,3,or 4 contests running at the same time would be quite exasperating on all onlookers.

Amaze your friends when you post your Chaos Dwarf model pictures on our forum at http://www.monster-hobbies.com today!
03-21-2009 01:19 PM
Maul
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 18

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputMaul 03-21-2009

Tarakk has some good suggestions.

I think short stories should be compared to other short stories and terrain should be compared to terrain.

Maybe you should have artisan contests quarterly with two focusing on terrain and two focusing on short stories.

All Evil does make a compelling argument that I think it takes a little courage to argue. If you do more Golden Hat Contests you continue to showcase members work and you get another chance to bolster interest in the site and how much promotion of CD is accomplished. There was a lot of additional site traffic from the last contest so focusing on Golden Hat may be a way to go in the future. It does have the potential to alienate folks that don't model much or who relish the fluff above all else.

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"
(Ghost Busters 1984)
03-21-2009 02:36 PM
Ubertechie
Bull Centaur Hero

Well it would appear that a large percentage of the active posters on this site are more interested in the modelling / painting side of things rather than the gaming side. This was evidenced recently by a long battle report that I posted which got 1 reply and yet my army blog got lots of replies every time I updated it. Therefore if that is the major interest area of the users of the site it males sense to do things around this side of things.
If the general consensus is that all competitions should have that focus then that is fine by me - it does preclude me from entering but i do get to look at other peoples work

03-21-2009 06:53 PM
Tarrakk Blackhand

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               

Correction Ubertechie...2 people commented on your Battle report! Wink

03-21-2009 07:14 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 536
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputThommy H 03-21-2009

To be fair, battle reports aren't actually that interesting unless you played in them. They were always my least favourite part of White Dwarf. I don't think it's fair to extrapolate a trend from the unpopularity of battle reports on the forums - though I don't think we should do a competition based on writing them.

Rules are the way to go! Design a war machine! Who wouldn't want to enter that competition, eh?

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

03-21-2009 07:27 PM
Ubertechie
Bull Centaur Hero

Thommy H Wrote:
To be fair, battle reports aren't actually that interesting unless you played in them

Thommy - I guess we will have to disagree on that one as they are the most interesting part of the old WD's for me

03-21-2009 08:14 PM
Swissdictator
Hashut's Code Monkey

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 1348
Best General - 2008 Best General - 2009 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best General - 2010                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputSwissdictator 03-21-2009

I really like some of Blackhand's ideas here, I think he's on to something.

As for Battle Reports... they're hit or miss for me. Some of them, are well written and fun. Sometimes preceded and concluded with some flavorful storytelling. These are usually good. Some are more informative. I don't see them in a bad light usually, and would rather have a few decently done reports then the tons of ads they do... so I think we can have some fun with that.

FORGET AoS. Whoever designed it isn't fit to pour [water] out of a boot with instructions written under the heel.
03-21-2009 08:17 PM
Grotsnik
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 0

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputGrotsnik 03-22-2009

i think you could do all sorts of things - short stories, scenery making, rules writing, art contests, conversion guides Maybe u could say something like, the winner gets one of those sprues that came free with white dwarf that contained a dwarf and a night goblin so you can create a chaos dwarf and a hobgoblin

PLEASE!!!!!! come and help me in my latest project - CONSTRUCTING ZHARR NAGGRUND
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...090&page=1
03-22-2009 07:49 AM
Revlid
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 191
Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputRevlid 03-23-2009

This is an input thread, not a put-down thread, so I likely won't comment again on this, but I utterly oppose the Artisan's Contest having any element of modelling or painting - that's what the Golden Hat is for.

The Artisan's Contest should be for people with fewer skills in the modelling/painting side of things, but with writing or drawing or rules development abilities.

Madness? THIS IS... Well, maybe it isn't Sparta, but it's still pretty awesome.
Would you kindly comment on my Warhammer Armies: Chaos Dwarfs?
03-23-2009 03:55 AM
Ubertechie
Bull Centaur Hero

RE: Artisan's Contest IV InputUbertechie 03-23-2009

Revlid
I agree absolutely with you - GH = modelling, Artisan = other things - gives those of us that are not modellers a chance to compete

03-23-2009 06:28 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Winners! Admiral 7 1,636 03-01-2020 08:18 AM
Last Post: Dînadan
  Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting! Admiral 10 1,947 02-26-2020 05:57 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Artisan's Contest XXIX Admiral 26 4,464 02-19-2020 11:28 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Winners! Admiral 8 3,032 11-25-2019 10:26 AM