Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Artisan's IX - Regiment of Renown
Author MessageArtisan's IX - Regiment of Renown
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
Artisan's IX - Regiment of RenownGrimstonefire 11-20-2010

Welcome all to Artisan’s IX!

What to enter?

The theme for this Artisans is to write a complete rules set and some background for a Chaos Dwarf themed Regiment of Renown.  

It is important that people consider the context in which the entry may be appropriate is going to vary from person to person.  A Regiment of Renown may be appropriate for the Dwarfs of Chaos list, but may be stupendously unbalanced if considered in the context of the Ravening Hordes list.  

So to try and be even handed we want people to be open minded and try and think of an entry that could be used in any CD list (or fanlist) instead of any one in particular.  This means that those who are not familiar with a particular fan list can still discuss it.

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is 2nd January 2011 11:59pm EST.  

Only enter if you are happy with the rules as they are stated below.

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Seeing as it would be all too easy to present ‘cool’ rules that are incomplete or seriously unbalanced, this competition has to have a fair few more rules than usual:

You MUST have the following per entry:

1.  You must state the classification of the unit, which must be one of the following:  Infantry, Monstrous Infantry, Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry or War Beast.  You cannot have mixed units.

2.  You must state which slot it falls into; Core, Special or Rare in a Chaos Dwarfs/Dwarfs of Chaos army.  If other armies can take them you can state this, but you must state which category they are for the CD as a minimum.

3.  The unit must conform to the typical minimum unit size for each classification:

Infantry (core for CD army):  10+
Infantry (special or rare for CD army):  5+
Cavalry:  5+
Monstrous Infantry: 3+
Monstrous Cavalry: 3+
War Beasts: 5+

Obviously if you want to state a maximum that's up to you.

4.  Basic points cost for the minimum unit size (the base cost before all upgrades or options) must be included.  This includes any named champions.

5.  Basic Points cost for any additional models.  

6.  The cost for upgrading command models.  A named champion should be included in the basic points total in point 4 above and not as an upgrade.  If you have a named musician or standard bearer you can include them either in the basic total in point 4 above or as an upgrade.

7.  A profile for everything in the unit including mounts if there are any.  This must follow the GW format. M WS BS S T W I A Ld etc

8.  If the unit is armed with a missile or combat weapon that is not a weapon type in the 8th Edition Warhammer rulebook, the rules for this must be described.

9.  If the unit have any special rules that are not in the 8th Edition Warhammer rulebook, the rules for this must be described.

If your entry does not include all the above by the deadline it will probably not be included.  I may consider an entry if it's 99% of the way there and only needs a couple of things adding quickly.  No promises though.

Optional things

You may include 0 - 3 Optional unit upgrades (aka ‘Options’) per entry.  These cannot be for a named champion (it is assumed that his weapons/ equipment are already stated and cannot be upgraded, a regular un-named champion will obviously need to be included as usual) and must each have a points cost.  For example, a shield, heavy armour, or a pistol.  A magic banner is not a unit upgrade (it's a standard bearer one) and would not take one of these 3 options.  You can include a specific magic banner if you want, made up or not, however, you may not include a general points allowance for the unit to have a magic banner (as RoR don't do this afaik).

You can include a named champion for your regiment.  They may have an additional wound and not count as a hero.

You cannot include lord or hero level characters (or special characters), or anything with more than 1 wound over the basic unit type.

Background:

The background part is optional, but I suggest you include something as everyone else probably will. Wink

There is a 1000 maximum word limit on this.  This doesn't include any rules descriptions (e.g. what the 'Iron Will' rule is).  Though fluff descriptions of things like magic banners etc, or the fluff behind rules will be included in this total.

Anything over the 1000 words will be deleted, starting with rules fluff (things like what the 'Hashut's Chosen' rule is fluffwise or how a magic banner looks etc), before deleting from the background section.

Other Stuff

NO ART OR MODEL PHOTOS are allowed.

Spelling, punctuation and grammar will not be corrected.

Unlike the last time we ran this, as long as people include all the things above there isn't a specific format required.  Note that I will amend all entries to be the same format regardless of how they are sent.

Unless by specific permission, nothing can be changed after the deadline.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by an email attachment to cdostaff@hotmail.co.uk.  You must have your CDO user name in the title or text of your message so we know who you are!

Do not post it in the forum.

How will this be judged?

On 5th or 6th January we will have an  open poll for people to vote for the entry they like best.  This is a unit creation competition, so people are free to judge however they want.  If the rules impress you, or the background, maybe how fun or original it is, you can vote freely.  It will be a 10 day timed poll to decide the winner(s).

Just to be clear on this, an entry with what some consider to be unbalanced rules can win if enough people vote for it. Wink

If there are more than 10 entries there will be Silver and Bronze Artisan's medals.

Judging a competition with a rules element is unlike any other sort of judging, it requires people to use both common sense and their gaming knowledge and experience to find the strengths and weaknesses of every entry.

To help people with this we have designed a list of categories that people could use to help them decide.  You are not required to use this list at all.  

• Use of Language (is it professionally written?)
  • Playability (are the rules streamlined?)
  • Balance (are the rules and points fair and do they adhere to typical GW design?)
  • Fun (do the rules make for a fun experience?)
  • Lore (are the rules fluffy and do they fit the character of the Chaos Dwarfs?)

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 11-29-2010 04:55 PM by Grimstonefire.

11-20-2010 08:27 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownGrimstonefire 11-20-2010

Sorry guys for the rules being fairly long winded.  The things I included are all things that can be simply addressed, so it's not too complex really.  Hopefully people won't be put off entering.

Especially the formatting this time around, which is easier for all of you.

At a basic level people can just copy something from the RH list and give them some fluff.  You wouldn't score very highly for imagination but it would be fine to do that, especially if people haven't designed rules before.

If anyone has a specific question about the rules, or about an entry they are considering that may be outside of the rules above please pm me and don't presume if it is unanswered in this thread that it is ok. Wink

Thanks.

This post was last modified: 11-20-2010 08:35 PM by Grimstonefire.

11-20-2010 08:31 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1256
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownNicodemus 11-20-2010

Sounds great!! Great writing and play testing everyone!

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

11-20-2010 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1224
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownWillmark 11-20-2010

Banner added! Wink

My Want List / My Trade List
11-20-2010 09:38 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 713
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownSkink 11-20-2010

Uhm... Even though I'm happy to see another Artisan contest and I can't wait to read the entries... We've already done this. Thommy H was the winner and the rules for Gozzadini and Kazharn arer in WoH#8 if I'm correct. I was expecting something new...

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!

This post was last modified: 11-20-2010 10:19 PM by Skink.

11-20-2010 10:18 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1224
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownWillmark 11-20-2010

Skink Wrote:
Uhm... Even though I'm happy to see another Artisan contest and I can't wait to read the entries... We've already done this. Thommy H was the winner and the rules for Gozzadini and Kazharn arer in WoH#8 if I'm correct. I was expecting something new...

No that was not an "official" one, that was a mini contest I ran. Takes Hat off

My Want List / My Trade List
11-20-2010 10:25 PM
BilboBaggins
Lammasu

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 19

RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownBilboBaggins 11-20-2010

It's got me thinking, and that is a dangerous thing.

Keeper of the lost pdf's of GW.

11-20-2010 11:48 PM
zobo1942
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 19
Slaves: 109

RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of Reknownzobo1942 11-21-2010

I was looking forward to trying to build something. Sad

11-21-2010 12:06 AM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 260
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of Reknownvulcanologist 11-21-2010

HmmMmm... That's an interesting one wasn't expecting that!

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY CHAOS DWARF ARMY BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7773

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

MY BLOOD BOWL BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10338

MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
11-21-2010 05:53 AM
nitroglysarine
Burninating the Countryside

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 200
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of Reknownnitroglysarine 11-21-2010

Sounds cool!

11-21-2010 05:56 AM
Golder Goldeater
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 101

RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownGolder Goldeater 11-21-2010

Ehm...Forgive my ignorance but I didn't really understand the subject.Tongue Wink
Do we have to model a new DOW unit of CDs and write some rules for them or what?

11-21-2010 06:03 AM
Obsidian
Voice of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 226
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver x2                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownObsidian 11-21-2010

Nope, no models and no art. Just the rules, profiles and fluff.
Sound cool, might have a go.

The Obsidian Forge
11-21-2010 06:33 AM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Slaves: 87
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownIshkur Cinderhat 11-21-2010

Writing rules for a unit and not being allowed to include artwork... how booooooooooooring! Wink

Although this clearly favours those whose 1st language is English I might still give it a try, though.

11-21-2010 07:04 AM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownDa Crusha 11-21-2010

zobo1942 Wrote:
I was looking forward to trying to build something. Sad

+1. Im pretty dissapointed

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2
11-21-2010 07:18 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownGrimstonefire 11-21-2010

We try and alternate between building stuff, stories, rules and art to cater to the most people, as some people will only be interested in one out of four.  This isn't a hard and fast rule btw on what is coming next, we haven't given it any thought yet. Wink

Anyone interested in the fluff side of this and not the rules can just write a short story about the unit and use rules straight from the RH/ Dwarfs of Chaos/ other fanlist.  You'd have to type them all out in full, as people may not know all the rules for the list you're using.

This post was last modified: 11-21-2010 07:58 AM by Grimstonefire.

11-21-2010 07:56 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 731
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownHashut's Blessing 11-21-2010

Just had a spark of an idea. Now to figure out how to implement it!

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

11-21-2010 09:58 AM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 533
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of ReknownThommy H 11-21-2010

Can I just enter what I wrote to win the other competition?

Also: it's "Renown", not "Reknown".

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

This post was last modified: 11-21-2010 01:11 PM by Thommy H.

11-21-2010 01:11 PM
nitroglysarine
Burninating the Countryside

Slaves: 200
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of Reknownnitroglysarine 11-21-2010

@Tommy - I'm guessing that's a no as that would be 're-known' Big Grin

Nice idea, but its a shame about the no art or pictures rule, would have liked to have all the bits a normal unit for ROR would.

I'll still enter none the less!

11-21-2010 01:32 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of RenownGrimstonefire 11-21-2010

Cheers for spotting that.  No, this has to be something people haven't entered in a competition before.  Besides, where's the fun in that!? Wink

From what I remember you'd be needing a few more people to make your last one a unit anyway.

This post was last modified: 11-21-2010 05:47 PM by Grimstonefire.

11-21-2010 05:46 PM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's IX - Regiment of RenownGRNDL 11-21-2010

And, probably, entries written with beautiful calligraphy on hand-made parchment, illuminated with home-made dyes and pigments won't be allowed...

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

This post was last modified: 11-21-2010 07:40 PM by GRNDL.

11-21-2010 07:40 PM
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Create a Dawi Zharr Regiment of Renown Mini Contest Winner! Willmark 18 9,774 03-01-2010 08:44 AM
Last Post: Snotling
  Chaos Dwarf Regiment of Renown Contest Willmark 64 26,881 02-16-2010 05:22 PM
Last Post: Willmark

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites